Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
Rankings, schmankings...I'm just glad they're playing on Saturday at noon, wearing their green jerseys and playing their starters the whole game...

You're interested in High School football or College Basketball? That's the only thing I see on TV at that time.
1) Min (hopefully I jinx them by putting them #1, but I sincerely believe they now have a good shot thanks to playing in domes all through the NFC playoffs).
2) SD
3) Ind
4) NO
5) Dal
6) GB
7) Bal
8) Philly
9) Arizona
10) Cinncinati
11) New England
12) Jets

I may be underrating the AFC a bit, but I think Cinncinati is not the same team they were early in the year when they beat the Pack (Cedric Benson banged up, Antwaan Odom on IR, and Chris Henry unavailable due to being deceased). I can't see New England recovering from the Welker injury, and the Jets have by far the worst QB play.
I think those having byes is a big advantage and those that have homefield have a sizeable advantage so these rankings take that into consideration. They aren't just based on who is playing the best right now.

1) Colts
2) Chargers
3) Saints
4) Minnesota
5) New England
6) Dallas
7) Green Bay
8) Arizona
9) Baltimore
10) Philly
11) New York
12) Cincy
1. SD - The hottest and possibly best team in football.
2. NO - They'll shake the slump with a tough NO crowd behind them.
3. IND - Never write off a Manning-led team with HFA
4. MIN - Vomit. Without a bye/divisional home game, they don't crack my top 6.
5. GB - Homer love aside they're capable of playing with anyone in the league.
6. NE - This team knows how to win in January, and the AFC is weak after SD.
7. DAL - Not buying the national hype, but they can make a run.
8. PHI - Good enough when they're on, but too inconsistent.
9. AZ - See above.
10.BAL - Not very impressed with what I've seen of them.
11.NYJ - Someone has to win the rematch, but they won't do much after.
12.CIN - Even if they beat NY at home, this is the only team I would comfortably bet a large sum of money on not winning the Lombardi Trophy.
And yes. Right now, the Packers are playing well.. 7-1 in last 8.. could be 8-0. So they have to be somewhere between 4-8 on a list I'd expect. As for Teddy, this season has been saved by guys that he stumbled on out of necessity and appeasement to a fan base that was sick of seeing their franchise QB hit with zero effort to protect him from the front office. Without Mark Tauscher this season would be nowhere.

However, if the Packers win just one playoff game.. I will get off Teddy until the start of next season (im setting the expectations really low here). McCarthy on the otherhand.. no promises.
quote:
Originally posted by Diggr14: As for Teddy, this season has been saved by guys that he stumbled on out of necessity and appeasement to a fan base that was sick of seeing their franchise QB hit with zero effort to protect him from the front office. Without Mark Tauscher this season would be nowhere.

Stumbled on? Classic.

Appeasement to a fan base? Oh yeah, because when I think Ted Thompson, I think of a GM who knee jerks to fan's bedwetting and panic attacks. No doubt his trading Favre is a perfect example of him "appeasing" fans.
quote:
Originally posted by Diggr14:
I will get off Teddy until the start of next season (im setting the expectations really low here).

Oh no. How about I just muffle your voice on this forum?

Oh yeah, I'm sure you're a huge Packer fan.

Stop the schtick and try to be cool even though I know you can't
quote:
Originally posted by FreeSafety:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Yuck:
If Sanchez doesn't pull a TOG in the playoffs that Jets defense could make some noise.

Run the ball and play good defense, right?

#1 in both categories.

Yup. I really think in the AFC the Jets are the last team I would want to see coming into my house right now.
Relax with the Jets. They have their hands full on Saturday with the Bengals. I'm not certain they're going to win even though they killed the Bungles on Sunday Night.

All it takes is one fumble by their running game and a quick strike to Ocho Cinco then Sanchez will start pressing. Playoffs are a whole new animal & the key players on the Jets have zero playoff experience.

Bengals should give them a game.

The low ranked team everyone should be afraid of in the AFC is the Ravens. They're going to beat the Patriots
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
Relax with the Jets. They have their hands full on Saturday with the Bengals. I'm not certain they're going to win even though they killed the Bungles on Sunday Night.

All it takes is one fumble by their running game and a quick strike to Ocho Cinco then Sanchez will start pressing. Playoffs are a whole new animal & the key players on the Jets have zero playoff experience.

Bengals should give them a game.

The low ranked team everyone should be afraid of in the AFC is the Ravens. They're going to beat the Patriots

Didn't realize I was getting overly excited about the Jets. Confused

Yes anything can happen and the Jets didn't exactly light up the league this season, but there's a reason why "Defense wins championships" is a true statement. The team I would least like to see in the first round is the team with the #1 defense.
quote:
And yes. Right now, the Packers are playing well.. 7-1 in last 8.. could be 8-0. So they have to be somewhere between 4-8 on a list I'd expect. As for Teddy, this season has been saved by guys that he stumbled on out of necessity and appeasement to a fan base that was sick of seeing their franchise QB hit with zero effort to protect him from the front office. Without Mark Tauscher this season would be nowhere.

However, if the Packers win just one playoff game.. I will get off Teddy until the start of next season (im setting the expectations really low here). McCarthy on the otherhand.. no promises.

New Year's resolution:

Read no more Diggr14 threads/posts. Should be one of my easier New Year's accomplishments.
Big toss up this season....deep field up top (or I should say an even field).

I'll go:

1. SD - best team today
2. IND - if they can get by SD, I don't know who stops Peyton
3. NO - they right the ship with a bye week
4. GB - I like the Pack over the Vikes...can the OL keep AR upright against top competition?
5. DAL - On a roll, but Romo and Phillips are anchors
6. MIN - Domes

7. AZ - injuries might derail this squad
8. BAL - I like Flacco, but the D's gotta get back to itself to win
9. PHI - Downward turning

10. NE - banged up and old, but more in the tank than:

11. NYJ - rookie QB
12. CIN - peaked in week 2
quote:
1. SD
2. MN
3. DAL
4. GBP
5. IND
6. NO
7. PHI
8. AZ
9. NE
10. CIN
11. BAL
12. NYJ

I have a couple questions about these "rankings".

1) Are these your rankings, or someone elses? Your post did not make that clear, although I could infer they were yours and move on.

2) Most likely to win the SB based on what? Maybe it is as simple as gut feel, but you don't say. Knowing your criteria would be nice.

Follow on questions depend on your answers to the first 2.
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Lambeau:
quote:
1. SD
2. MN
3. DAL
4. GBP
5. IND
6. NO
7. PHI
8. AZ
9. NE
10. CIN
11. BAL
12. NYJ

I have a couple questions about these "rankings".

1) Are these your rankings, or someone elses? Your post did not make that clear, although I could infer they were yours and move on.

2) Most likely to win the SB based on what? Maybe it is as simple as gut feel, but you don't say. Knowing your criteria would be nice.

Follow on questions depend on your answers to the first 2.

Gut feeling. Not someone else's rankings.

I think Minnesota and SD will be in the superbowl. I think SD will win. Im going with Green Bay playing Minnesota in the NFCC but that depends on Dallas/Phi I suppose. My feeling is that Indy/SD play in the AFCC and MN / GB.
quote:
Originally posted by BeerGuy:
Big toss up this season....deep field up top (or I should say an even field).

I'll go:

1. SD - best team today
2. IND - if they can get by SD, I don't know who stops Peyton
3. NO - they right the ship with a bye week
4. GB - I like the Pack over the Vikes...can the OL keep AR upright against top competition?
5. DAL - On a roll, but Romo and Phillips are anchors
6. MIN - Domes

7. AZ - injuries might derail this squad
8. BAL - I like Flacco, but the D's gotta get back to itself to win
9. PHI - Downward turning

10. NE - banged up and old, but more in the tank than:

11. NYJ - rookie QB
12. CIN - peaked in week 2

Nice summary

quote:
I think Minnesota and SD will be in the superbowl. I think SD will win. Im going with Green Bay playing Minnesota in the NFCC but that depends on Dallas/Phi I suppose. My feeling is that Indy/SD play in the AFCC and MN / GB.

Very plausible. Damn, do we really need to lose to the Vikings 3 times? That's brutal but I suppose it's in the leagues best interest for the Vikings to win the Super Bowl so they can get a new stadium.

I just think if the Packers win 2 playoff games, nothing is going to stop them. Beating the Cards plus the #1 seed Saints, I think the Vikings are in trouble, assuming they get by Dallas (which is no given).
I don't have too many problems with Banks' list, but can someone please explain the national Dallas love? They beat a NO team that we now know was beginning their downward spiral, won against the already vacationing Redskins and took it to the Eagles at home.

One/maybe two impressive wins to finish out a rather lackluster 5-3 second half of the season.
quote:
Skip Bayless picking the Packers.

This guy might be the biggest nob sports person out there right now and has been so for a very long time now.

Back around 01 or 02 (sometime around there) he wrote a long winded article for the San Jose Mercury News about how the 49er's with Jeff Garcia would dominate the Packers and Favre. He completely ripped Favre basically saying his career was very much in decline and he was simply hanging on while Garcia was the next great NFL QB.

I replied to that article and even got a reply from the paper asking for permission to run it in the paper. I gave it to them but they never did.

Favre and the Packers destroyed the 49'ers in that game.

Now for the past 2 years I doubt anyone could find a bigger Favre ballwasher than Skippy Clueless.

The man is a complete and utter joke.

"Very plausible. Damn, do we really need to lose to the Vikings 3 times?"

It certainly is very realistic. My guess though is that if it comes down to the Packers vs the vikings for the NFCC there will be a considerable number of posters here who will route for the vikings simply because they are TOG fans rather than Packer fans, or they want TT or MM to fail in someway.

Bottom line though is that if the Packers get to the NFCC this season will have been a success (personally I believe it has already been a success) and it will end in the exact same manner as it ends for 11 of 12 playoff teams---a loss.
San Diego will never win it. They're still the same old San Diego...put up big stats in the regular season and win a lot of games but ultimately are ill-equipped for postseason play. Minnesota is like the NFC's version of the Chargers IMO...they're going to disappoint like always. Same for Dallas. They're getting a ton of hype now, but I honestly don't see how they're any different than they were when GB roughed them up.

I think the Jets have the worst chance of making the SB, I just can't see them doing it. Cincinnati has been a good story this season but they just don't strike me as a SB team either. Baltimore made it in by the skin of their teeth and I can't see them making a serious push.

Arizona is my dark horse team but their injuries make knock them out in the first round. New Orleans has injuries on defense but their offense is so potent and Brees is a veteran, I wouldn't count them out quickly. Philly seems like they could make some noise but their defense has to get its crap straight and be the defense we know they can be. McDermott's inexperience as a coordinator may be a big factor here. I feel like GB and Indy have the best shots at winning since both teams are balanced and have reliable veterans at key positions. They both have weaknesses that can be exposed but I feel like they have good enough coaching on both sides of the ball to cover up some of those weaknesses.

1. IND
2. GB
3. PHI
4. NO
5. AZ
6. MIN
7. NE
8. SD
9. DAL
10. BAL
11. CIN
12. NYJ