Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Vin Scullys call of Sandy Koufax's 1965 perfect game is the single greatest radio work of all time. Period. You listen to it now 51 years later and you feel like you're there. 

"There's 29,000 in the ballpark and a million butterflies" 

Back in the day they had 40 man rosters.

Fred Cox was the Vikings kicker.

We used to say, "The Vikings have 39 players without Cox."

Last edited by Blair Kiel
ChilliJon posted:

Vin Scullys call of Sandy Koufax's 1965 perfect game is the single greatest radio work of all time. Period. You listen to it now 51 years later and you feel like you're there. 

Linky?

Blair Kiel posted:
ChilliJon posted:

Linky?

This is as good as baseball radio gets. 

Blair Kiel posted:

Vin Scully/BrentMusberger/Jimmy The Greek/Irv Cross...

Epic. Enjoy

Anyone remember watching "Something for Joey" in 77? Seeing Cappalletti brought 77 back and his Heisman speech. Epic thread.

Last edited by ChilliJon
Gdog posted:

Listening to that game - I knew all the names of those players. I was 12 then and watched any game I could get on our 3 channels in Madison.

come on now...don't exaggerate...you should've gotten 4 channels: 

WMTV Ch. 15 NBC;    WKOW Ch. 27  ABC;  WISC Channel 3 CBS; and  WHA Channel 21 PBS.

in fact, Channel 21 is where you got to see Badger Football (albeit taped and replayed the day after the game) and also...Sunday  mornings Notre Dame Football with Lindsay Nelson!

Last edited by SanDiegoPackFan

3 some times 4 channels, unless your dad was a technophile,  and you had an antenna rotor! Growing up along the Mississippi,  we mainly had northeast Iowa channels. WMT carried the Vikings, so the weather had to be just right to watch channel 3, and it was mostly a snowy picture. If only we lived on the bluff instead of the river bottom. 

My father got a TV  and a roof antenna before Green Bay had it's first station.
On a good night with weather permitting, we could watch the The Gillette Cavalcade of Sports  out of Milwaukee.  "Look Sharp/Be Sharp"
Talk about cathode ray tube snow and horizontal roll ! ! !

Living midway between Madison and Milwaukee and with a roter on the roof we were able to pick up both cities stations.  Depending on the wind, clouds and other atmospheric conditions we always had a clear signal.

I can 60 years later still hear that roter slowly spinning on the roof. 

DH13 posted:

Or in a van.

This brings back another memory...
I moved to LA in '74 and for whatever reason Packer games were never on in TV in LA, but there were a lot games that were shown in San Diego.
I had a GMC van and a 12 volt black and white TV.
I'd buy a 12 pack and drive to a park between Camp Pendleton and San Diego to watch the games.
LOL, this was the same time period when I was subscribed to Nitschke's Packer Report. Old news by the time it arrived but still fun to read.

Unfortunately we had one hill between us and the NYC channels.  Couldn't get them even with a rotor. It was Albany for us, or Hartford with the rotor for when the Albany channels pre-empted something. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.