Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by phaedrus:
I have to admit.

If you take away QB position, the makeup of the 49'ers is so much more to my liking. I like it when the team I root for rules the trenches, as an example. That's the kind of team strength I like to see.
brutes,

Exactly. I'm sick and tired of candy-assed linemen. I want brutes, maulers, big, violent men with bad attitudes on both sides of the line. I am fed up with seeing our linemen running backwards all day every damned Sunday, both offensive and defensive linemen.
quote:
Kaepernick definitely saved his best for when the games matter the most. In his final four outings of the regular season he rushed for a total of 117 yards, 64 fewer than he had against the Packers.

Harbaugh knew he could win with Smith, who had completed 25 of his last 27 passes with four touchdowns before sustaining a concussion on Nov. 11 against the Rams, but in Kaepernick he saw the potential for a more dynamic offense.

Even in his wildest fantasy he probably didn't see a unit that would put up 579 total yards, including a franchise-best 323 rushing. But that's what happens when you match a gifted athlete with supreme self confidence with a mad-scientist strategist like offensive coordinator Greg Roman, who began setting his plan in motion at the end of the regular season.

Instead of running the "pistol" offense that Kaepernick used in college -- it calls for the quarterback to line up five yards behind center, with a back directly behind him, then run the read-option out of the formation -- Roman opted to put it away and show other things for which San Francisco's playoff opponent would have to prepare.

It would be foolish to say he caught the Packers off guard with the formation, but it's a strong possibility that Green Bay did not stress defending it with the same intensity it might have if Kaepernick had had a big running game against the Cardinals in the season finale.

"If you noticed, we're definitely the type of people to hold our ace card under our leg and wait for the right time to pull it out," Roman said with a sly smile Saturday night."Green Bay is a great team and we have respect for them, but it was a run-and-pass game plan tonight. It was pretty balanced. We were able to hit some big plays and guys were dialed in."

Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers made a strategic mistake in the opening half by repeatedly blitzing Kaepernick and leaving his defensive backs in man coverage. San Francisco's receivers would then run upfield, forcing the defenders to run with their backs to Kaepernick, who consistently found uncluttered running lanes.

Roman guesstimated that the 49ers ran the "pistol" on just under 50 percent of their offensive snaps. Sometimes Kaepernick got free around the ends, and other times he found openings up the middle. The Packers had to be so concerned with his running in the second half that halfback Frank Gore gained 73 of his 119 yards rushing in the final one-plus quarters -- or, more specifically, after Kaepernick went 56 yards for a 31-24 lead the Niners would not relinquish. -sportsillustrated
quote:
Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers made a strategic mistake in the opening half by repeatedly blitzing Kaepernick and leaving his defensive backs in man coverage. San Francisco's receivers would then run upfield, forcing the defenders to run with their backs to Kaepernick, who consistently found uncluttered running lanes.

This is what drove me absolutely nuts

Kaepernick is still developing as a thrower and while he did hit on some passes he was erratic. Why leave the middle of the field open for him to escape the rush and rumble down the field? It reminded me of the Packers inability years ago with Mike Vick.

That's poor gameplanning. MM can say all he wants about how they weren't able to do things with containment and the spread option but they should have forced Kaepernick to beat them with his arm. Rush 4 or 5 guys and spy Kaepernick and let our DBs do their thing with SF receivers. That never happened.
quote:
"At the end of the day you have to do the things that you do best. This is not the time of the year to try to go out and trick a football team. I don't believe that's the way you go about it...This week's no different than any week that we prepare for a game. We looked at what they do and we looked at the things we feel are our strengths vs their scheme and their particular players and we go play football -MM Thursday, Jan 10th, 2013 Presser
Apparently while the Packers were getting ready to do the same old thing the 49ers were getting ready to scheme circles around our coaching staff.
quote:
Originally posted by Tschmack:
That's poor gameplanning. MM can say all he wants about how they weren't able to do things with containment and the spread option but they should have forced Kaepernick to beat them with his arm. Rush 4 or 5 guys and spy Kaepernick and let our DBs do their thing with SF receivers. That never happened.

In watching ESPN this morning Ron Jaworski pointed out on a few occasions where he ran the ball the Packers were spying him. Just to slow and easily faked out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.