Skip to main content

Usually we'll have a pretty extensive conversation about the upcoming season, but that just feels useless at this point. The organization seems to be purposefully tanking in order to align themselves at the top of one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. Two freshmen- Jabari Parker from Duke and Andrew Wiggins from Kansas- appear to be the prizes for the lucky ping pongers next spring. There are a number of other pretty solid players as well.

The Bucks wisely moved on from the Jennings era knowing he'll always be an interesting player but never a star. Ellis gladly leaves as well. The LRMAM era ends as he limps off to Sacto with hopes that his knee won't derail his career (seems likely), and the other spare parts who were never the future move on. Drew Goode (finally gets the amnesty he has deserved.

So the bucks bring in 11 new players, several of whom have extensive injury histories, so that the roster has talent but will not likely be successful. Delfino returns and is already slated to miss games. Who knows what Mayo will bring? One thing we know is he will miss time.

Of the promising players brought in, Brandon Knight arrives as a guy that was trying to be made a 2 but swears is still a 1. He has talent- and if he develops he could be pretty good- with a franchise player to past to.

The core of Larry Sanders, Ersan Ilyasove, and John Henson look solid, but are young developng players with a future- but none appear to be more than key contributors to a roster lacking the star power required to win in today's NBA. Keepers all, but they won't help this team win now. Add a star, and you have something.

The wild card Giannis Antetekoumpo (yes i spelled this on my own) is an 18 year old with measurables but very little else. If he does become a productive player, it certainly won't be soon. Oh, and they're introducing an all-new coaching staff to boot. Thanks for joining the team, Larry!

Looking like a 55-60 loss team to me. But if it results in the acquisition of a franchise player, it saves the franchise. An arena deal looms, and a 60 loss season may be the one step back to take the giant leap forward.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I look at this team and the moves they've made and it doesn't look to me like they are trying to tank the season.   By the same token, it's not like they did a lot to improve over last season either.

They have some very interesting younger players like Knight and Sanders and Henson and several vets that can contribute but no legit star players.  As a result, I see this as a 30-35 win team.  That's good enough to secure the 8 seed but not bad enough to get a decent lottery pick.

That is what frustrates me about this team.   For a team like Milwaukee they can only really get better through the draft and for that to happen they need to pull a Philadelphia and tank.  Then again, it's not like the lottery is guaranteed to land in your favor.

I'm fairly positive the lottery is a much better chance than the current system of paying to much for vets.  I think this is a really poorly designed team, so I am confident the lottery should be top 5. 

Mayo, Butler, Delfino... All are going to miss significant time this year. sanders, Henson, Knight, and Ilyasova are not going to score enough to pick them up. When that happens, it's going to get ugly. They might win 2 games versus Chicago, Indiana, Miami, New Jersey, New York... maybe 5 games against the west. I seriously doubt there's 24 more wins out there. And if you're right and they get the 8 seed, it will be catestrophic to the future of this team. They need to win the lottery ant they need to win it now. Everything in the future depends on it...

There were 12 teams in the league last year that won 35 games or less.   I'd probably put Milwaukee in there as well.

Point being, if the objective is to tank the season to increase your chances at getting a stud prospect they will have a lot of company.   Charlotte in particular is really bad and might not win 20 games.   Philly basically dumped their best player and they might also not win 20 games.  Phoenix and New Orleans and Orlando look pretty awful as well.   Then there are the Sacramento's and Washington's and Cleveland's and Detroit's that have been pretty bad for several years now and there's no reason to believe they are going to improve.

Portland and Minnesota and Toronto should be improved this year but teams like Boston and Milwaukee are likely worse this year so again, that puts a team like the Bucks in the running for an 8 seed but if your goal is to blow it up (like Philly) they have done a poor job.   They are basically stuck in NBA mediocrity which for a small market team is not where you want to be.

Herb Kohl was quoted recently that he wants players to be in Milwaukee, and he doesn't believe in tanking.   To that extent, I think that's what this team is going to be.  The team chemistry should be a lot better, and once again, they have some good players, but they don't have any difference makers and that should equate to a 30-40 win team which in the NBA gets you an early playoff exit beatdown by Miami.

I really hope you're wrong. I understand what you're saying, but as soon as thrinjuries mount, I think they'll lose epically. And if they don't, they lose just enough to not get better until they aren't in Milwaukee anymore...

That's the thing.  I think they will be just good enough to make a push for a playoff spot, but not bad enough to give them a shot (lottery) at one of the decent prospects that are expected to enter the draft.

If there is a positive about this team at least they aren't in salary cap hell.   With the amnesty move on Gooden they really only have three guys that are signed long term- Mayo, Ersan, and Sanders.   Ersan and OJ are only signed for three years, and Ersan has a team option in year 3.  So, if they want to "blow up" the team they have the flexibility within the cap to do so or they can go out and sign some legit free agent type players.   The problem is, it's not like Milwaukee is a top destination so the Bucks will always have to overpay.  That's why getting and making good draft choices is so critical.

Hopefully Drew is committed to playing the young guys and letting them get some experience in what will be a painful year to watch.  Need to play for the future and not for the 8th seed.  Time to make like TT and draft/develop for a year or two.  I'd rather see young players who are improving and playing hard than seeing our two former guards chucking it up time and time again.  

Given what I've seen from Derrick Rose the Bulls might give Miami a real run for their money this year.   That is a good team.

As for the Bucks, I really don't know what to expect.  Personally, I'd rather they lose 60 games this year because it would improve their lottery chances but I have a feeling that they will win just enough to give the appearance they are improved but not enough to be taken seriously

16- count them- 16 turnovers in the first half.  That's inexcusable.   Sure, they made a game of it but this is not a very good team.  Losing their starting PG to a hamstring injury didn't help matters.

Right on pace... 20%. 16-17 wins and the worst record in the game.

So I was thinking about the prize- now that we've seen them both, do you like Wiggins or Parker? Me, I like Parker. When I see him, I see Kobe. When I see Wiggins, I see Derrick Coleman.

I've done a lot of watching Wiggins and Parker.  Wiggins has crazy upside but I think he's a bigger risk than Parker.  The Kobe comparison on Parker is interesting because the one knock against Wiggins is that some wonder if he's motivated enough or has the leadership needed to become a stud player in the NBA.   On the other hand, while Parker may not possess the same athleticism as Wiggins he's much more consistent and humble and seems to have more of the killer instinct.   Both guys will likely play the SF position and that's a spot the Bucks really need to address.   Then there's another guy Randle at Kentucky that's really starting to get publicity and he may end up being in the same category as Wiggins and Parker.   He's a little bigger/taller than Wiggins or Parker, but his skill level is off the charts.  He might play the PF spot in the pros but he'd be another guy on the radar to keep an eye on.

I get your point Bong but I am of the opinion that I would rather have a guy that is more steady than the guy with upside but has maturity or motivation issues.  Look at our former guy Brandon Jennings.  Pound for pound he might be one of the most talented guys in the league but he was immature as hell and a poor leader.   If you are spending the #1 or #2 pick on a guy that's something to think about.   Garnett and Kobe are two guys that came out early that worked out while other younger guys like McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal never reached their full potential and it had a lot to do with attitude and work ethic.  Everything I have seen and heard on Parker is that he has the intangibles you really want while there are questions about Wiggins.
It's the pedigree with both that is most intriguing. Both has pro dads. Wiggins' mom was a track star I think- off the charts athlete.

But Parker has an NBA mind at 18. Athletes only get only so far in the NBA. Is Blake Griffin is good player? Sure. Transcendent superstar? No.
It'll be interesting to see how this off season shapes. I personally think Hammibd knows talent. I think he's a pretty solid evaluator. But what I am not sure on is his choice of coach. Let's assume everything that needs to happen happens and they have the #1 pick. Let's say they get the right guys- maybe it's Embiid. Is Larry Drew the guy to coach these kids up? His track record in ATL doesn't scream out "this is the guy!" This Hawks team had really good talent- Johnson, Smith, Horford. Teague developed. But the consensus was that they always underachieved. If Bogut doesn't destroy his arm in '09, the Bucks beat them. What does Drew being to the table?

I look at the guy here in Chicago- would Thibideaux have 64 losses? Even with this roster?  I don't think so. So whstnif they have s the talent they could want? This team needs to win soon, and they better havevtge right guy to bring them there. My fear is that they don't, and they won't recognize it in time. Then the talent leaves and we wasted all this time...

Sessions and Butler come off the books and that's 13MM right there 

i think if Sanders can do a reset to this year they can build around a core of him and Knight and the alphabet kid.  Middleton and Delfino and Henson can be solid role players for this team but they need another young stud.  If it's Parker to play the 3 and everyone stays focused and healthy this team could be a lot better next year 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.