Skip to main content

Photography:

Training Camp practice: Day 2

Injury Updates:

New at #Packers Insiders Blog: Packers lose 7th-round receivers, Charles Johnson and Kevin Dorsey, to injury on Day 2 http://t.co/7y2rYxVqXZ

— Wes Hodkiewicz (@WesHod) July 27, 2013

Video:

MM Day 2 Presser

Clay Matthews

Nick Perry

James Jones

Articles:

Clay Matthews calls on young defenders to rise up

packers.com

by Mike Spofford on Saturday, July 27th, 2013

Clay Matthews pointed first and foremost at himself on Saturday, but he also called on the Packers’ many young defenders to rise to the rank of “playmaker” to improve Green Bay’s defense in 2013.

“It’s time for younger guys to step up,” Matthews said following the second practice of training camp. “It’s not just you’re a rookie anymore or a second-year player. The time is now. Especially losing veteran players, now is the time, myself included.”

As for the other potential playmakers, Matthews didn’t name anyone specifically, but the locker immediately to the left of his belongs to first-round draft pick Datone Jones, who was brought in to boost the inside pass rush as a complement to Matthews’ outside pressure.

“He’s out of UCLA, so we’ll see,” Matthews said of Jones, taking a jab at the archrival of Matthews’ alma mater, USC. “In all seriousness, though, he’s shown a lot of promise. It will be good to see him in pads and see what he brings to the table.”

Then, immediately to the left of Jones’ locker is Matthews’ counterpart at outside linebacker, 2012 first-round pick Nick Perry.

Two days into camp, Head Coach Mike McCarthy believes it’s about time for the pads to go on. Sunday will be the first full-pads workout, and after some sloppiness on Saturday that included two fumbled snaps and multiple offsides calls on the defense, McCarthy is looking for more sharpness to go with the increased intensity the pads will bring.

“Tomorrow you get a closer look,” McCarthy said. “To me, that’s what training camp is for, it’s about the padded practices. You only have so many opportunities to get your team ready for games. The fundamental work is critical.”continue

News & notes from Day 2

packers.com

by Mike Spofford on Saturday, July 27th, 2013

Then on Saturday, seventh-round picks Charles Johnson and Kevin Dorsey both dropped out of practice. Johnson fell awkwardly as his left leg got caught underneath him while he tried to stop a slant route and catch a pass that was slightly behind him. He walked off under his own power and later said he was scheduled to have an MRI taken.

“My foot got stuck in the ground as I stopped to catch the ball,” Johnson said. “I felt a little bit of pain, but I could still walk when I rolled over. Personally, I don’t feel like it’s something major.”

Not long after Johnson’s injury, Dorsey came up limping after a running a relatively innocent-looking route. continue

How long till Driver tries to sneak onto the practice field?

Last edited by titmfatied
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Green Bay Press Gazette:

Photography:

Green Bay Packers training camp practice: July 27, 2013

MM Presser Transcript

by Weston Hodkiewicz on Saturday, July 27th, 2013

What did you think of practice today?
Sloppier than yesterday. No-huddle had two extensions with the two penalties. The two transition days have been a good start.

On trying to utilize Barclay in multiple spots:
We think Don Barclay is a heck of football player. He’s earned an opportunity to compete for a starting position. With Evan, he’s established himself but you want to create competition. Carrying seven offensive linemen into regular season, all part of the elements.

On James Starks' performance:
I think James is doing a lot better in the pass-protection check down area. He’s had a couple very natural yesterday and today. The running part of it, you have to make good decisions.

On how Johnny Jolly has looked since OTAs:
Johnny is in better shape today than he is in OTAs. He’s done a good job as far as his four weeks away from here. Still has work to do. Watching his reps, butwe have a tape we show in the highlight segment of what you want to see in the practice structure. Johnny was on that tape. continue

Lots more past the click.

Packers lose seventh-round receivers to injury on Day 2

by Weston Hodkiewicz on Saturday, July 27th, 2013

As Charles Johnson laid face-down on the grass of Ray Nitschke Field on Saturday morning, every thought in the mind of the rookie seventh-round receiver raced around one thing.

Not again.

"I had to stop, try to redirect and go get it. As I was doing that, I had to stop, so I started to fall backwards," Johnson said. "As I was falling backwards I could feel my foot was caught. I’m falling back and I’m trying to get my leg out but it wasn’t happening and it fell really awkwardly. It was just one of those little freak things of I scared myself more than anything. I was pretty upset that once again I was injured and couldn’t be out there with my team. That was one of the things I was most upset about." continue

Past the click an update on wr Kevin Dorsey's injury status and more from Charles Johnson about his injury.

WR Jones on Driver: 'I'm assuming he wants to play'

by Rob Demovsky on Saturday, July 27th, 2013

“He tells me everyday how he’s staying in shape,” Jones said. “And I tell him every day, ‘Why did you retire? If you still wanted to play, you should’ve tried to play. Don’t let nobody walk you away from the game if you can still try to play.’

“But at the time, he felt like he was done and didn’t want to play football anymore. I talked to him in Houston and he said, ‘Man, I didn’t want to play football anymore. I felt like I was done and me and (general manager) Ted (Thompson) and (coach) Mike (McCarthy) and everybody was on the same page.”

As recently as his charity softball game in June, Driver said he would come back if the Packers were interested. continue

I'm sure MM and TT are thrilled to see that in the paper this morning. 

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

James Jones believes Donald Driver still has itch to play

July 27, 2013

Even after losing three wide receivers in two days, don't expect general manager Ted Thompson to give Donald Driver a call.

But... if nothing else... maybe the Packers' all-time leading receiver does want to keep playing football. Like so many other players who retire, it appears Driver is missing football as the season approaches.

At least that's the vibe James Jones got from Driver in Houston this off-season. Driver has not turned in his retirement papers, Jones said.

"I guess he’s feeling like everybody feels when you’ve been playing football since you were 7," Jones said, "and now all of a sudden it’s done and you kind of get those bubble guts and stuff when training camp comes back around and you want to be back out there playing. I’m assuming he wants to play, that’s why he hasn’t turned in his (retirement) papers or anything."

"As of right now, I hope our young guys get healthy," Jones continued. "I’m a big fan of 'D-Drive,' but that’s for them to talk about upstairs, man. If I was a GM and stuff, I would’ve brought a bunch of players in here if people got hurt. But Ted believes in everybody in this locker room, and so does Mike (McCarthy), so you’ve got to give them guys a chance to get healthy." continue

Behind the music and timeouts, Packers monitor heart rates

by Lori Nickel on Saturday, July 27th, 2013

The Packers have been putting heart monitors on different players over the last two days of practice in a rotation to monitor their heart rates while they’re giving everything they have on the field. And taking a break.

Wearing monitors can be a little cumbersome the first five minutes or so, said tight end D.J. Williams, but after that they’re no big deal. The monitors are either strapped around the body right on the waist and then over the shoulder or they are compressed to the chest by a bigger harness that looks like a sports bra.

The Packers look at the average heart rates of groups, such as the bigger players in one group and the skill players in another. They have then tried to find a happy medium for a rest time, said a few Packers.

“We’re just trying to practice what we do in games,” said Packers right guard T.J. Lang. “You go out for a couple plays each series, you come back and rest. We’re making sure guys are recovering enough. In training camp, guys are doing a lot of reps. That two minute break to refresh, you appreciate that.” continue

ESPN WIsconsin:

Training Camp Report #2: Saturday, July 27, 2013

by Jason Wilde on Saturday, July 27th, 2013

Thumbs down:  McCarthy immediately defended him when the topic came up, but no matter how difficult the footwork was for Don Barclay or how inexperienced he is at the position, the back-to-back fumbled exchanges with Rodgers were unacceptable. Barclay, who started six games (including playoffs) at right tackle last season, is learning to play center, and mistakes are to be expected. But fumbles on back-to-back plays?

Rodgers and Barclay were replaced by Harrell and Evan Dietrich-Smith on the third play, and after practice McCarthy wasn’t too hard on Barclay, saying, “In fairness to Barclay, it’s obviously new for Don working there. That particular play, that particular scheme, that’s the hardest footwork that he has from an assignment standpoint. I’m a little more irritated with the play selection with the rotation. That’s something that I could have probably done a better job of not asking him to do that right now in live action. That particular scheme is something that takes reps.” continue

Past the click, Jason Wilde has an update WR Tyrone Walker's good day, the play of the day, and a look ahead to tomorrow's 3 hour padded practice.

Outstanding coverage!

Thanks much!

Some random thoughts from a buddy that lives in De Pere and has been to both days:

Competition at RB is going to be off the charts between now and pre-season week 1. So far Starks looks the best. Looks like he figured out he's not making the team unless he learns how to block. No idea how Lacy isn't in two walking boots. No way a guy that size can be that light on his feet. Not sure if Franklin is a 3rd down back or possibly the best overall back in camp yet. He does everything well. catching the football looks natural to him. Lacy and Franklin have skills we haven't seen in GB in a while. But Starks looks really good....will be interesting to see all the RB's in pads.

Neal looks rail thin. Weird seeing him this thin. Not weird seeing him on the sideline.

Cobb is our best WR. He looks like an 8 year vet. He's tough to cover. 

McMillian wants to hit someone for real. And soon.

OL looks rocky. too much QB pressure.

Barclay looks bigger this year. A lot bigger. Just sayin'...

Coleman has outplayed Harrell so far. 

Walker looks decent at WR. Good practice squad guy. Nothing Johnson and Dorsey have done tell me they're better than practice squad guys.

It's just weird not seeing 80 all over the field killing himself to catch everything thrown his way.

I'm looking forward to heading up to GB on Thursday.

Last edited by ChilliJon

First, thanks for getting this one-stop update together.  Very good. 

Second, the Pack is going to have to do better than they have shown on the line so far by the sound of things. 

Third, sounds like Walker, Lacy, and Franklin stealing the show today.  With Hyde stealing the show yesterday, I am still waiting for a veteran to do something that would make someone say "wow". 

quote:
Second, the Pack is going to have to do better than they have shown on the line so far by the sound of things.

OMG!  The line isn't looking outstanding after two practices!  We're DOOMED!!!111!!! 

(I'm just teasing you, GoL.  By the way, did you mean OL or DL in that comment?)

Not a mowing accident I assume?

How about Dennis Pitta and Jeremy Macklin lost for the year during practice today? Both guy's were huge receiving options. Macklin led Philly last year in receptions, Pitta was second just behind Boldin, who also left.

Stretching matters.

Apparently it wasn't lost on a significant amount of GB fans at practice that Johnson's knee buckled trying to adjust to an underthrown Harrell pass.

Graham's play in pre-season games is going to be interesting.

Originally Posted by Fedya:
OMG!  The line isn't looking outstanding after two practices!  We're DOOMED!!!111!!! 
(I'm just teasing you, GoL.  By the way, did you mean OL or DL in that comment?)

Both.  The OL you could say have a built in excuse with all the rearranging.  The DL was jumping off sides according to what I read.  MM said he wanted it to be sharper tomorrow.  I'm sure they will get it together sooner or later. 

AR loves getting a DL to jump. He lives for it. FREE PLAY. STREAK ROUTES!!!! Unless it's whistled dead. Then he's just pissed. Can't be an easy guy to practice against. Which ends up being a positive. For all involved.

"but the locker immediately to the left of his (CM3) belongs to first-round draft pick Datone Jones, who was brought in to boost the inside pass rush as a complement to Matthews’ outside pressure.

“He’s out of UCLA, so we’ll see,” Matthews said of Jones, taking a jab at the archrival of Matthews’ alma mater, USC. “In all seriousness, though, he’s shown a lot of promise. It will be good to see him in pads and see what he brings to the table.”

Then, immediately to the left of Jones’ locker is Matthews’ counterpart at outside linebacker, 2012 first-round pick Nick Perry"

By design. That's a lot of talent that never wants to acquiesce to the other.

Good reports everyone- thanks for the update

They had a blurb on the news this morning about Barclay trying out the center position, and I found the comments from MM curious.  He said that he deserves a chance to start so I don't know if that's a ringing endorsement for EDS or not. 

The other thing they mentioned is that Franklin got a lot of attention and turned heads with his play both at RB and as a returner.  I'm really interested to see what this guy can do.   He might have a Randall Cobb type impact assuming he doesn't get hurt and continues to progress.

Originally Posted by FLPACKER:

Hyde could be the Casey Haywood of this year! Tramon better have a big bounce back season or his days in GB are numbered. 

Hayward to outside because he's a straight up baller and Hyde may be the perfect fit for long term slot guy.

Originally Posted by Henry:
Originally Posted by FLPACKER:

Hyde could be the Casey Haywood of this year! Tramon better have a big bounce back season or his days in GB are numbered. 

Hayward to outside because he's a straight up baller and Hyde may be the perfect fit for long term slot guy.

I like Hayward a lot too, but don't know if he's got the speed for the outside.

That's really been a overstated issue.  Williams, Harris aren't "fast", they play with instinct and could jam at the line.  Hayward plays angles to perfection.  The speed thing is seriously overstated.  He didn't go in the 2nd round because he couldn't hold down a outside position.

Originally Posted by Henry:

That's really been a overstated issue.  Williams, Harris aren't/weren't "fast", they play with instinct and could jam at the line.  Hayward plays angles to perfection.  The speed thing is seriously overstated.  He's a physical, smart player.  He didn't go in the 2nd round because he couldn't hold down a outside position.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.