Skip to main content

Training Camp Dope Sheet (via packers.com):

• Of the 88 players on Green Bay’s roster, 44 of them (50.0 percent) were drafted by the Packers.
  • With 25 non-drafted free agents on the roster having started their NFL careers with Green Bay, 69 of the 88 players (78.4 percent) began their pro careers with the Packers.
  • Nearly two-thirds of the players (56 of 88, 63.6 percent) on Green Bay’s roster entered the league as a sixth-round or seventh-round pick or as an undrafted player. Almost half of the players (43 of 88, 48.9 percent) on the roster were not drafted.
  • Only 19 of the 88 players on the roster (21.6 percent) were selected in the first three rounds of the draft.
  • Of the 88 players on the roster, 80 of them (90.9 percent) are 28 years old or younger (as of Aug. 1) and 53 players (60.2 percent) are 24 years old or younger.

Injury Report:

Unexpectedly on the injury list were cornerback

Casey Hayward (hamstring) and defensive end Mike Neal (abdomen), who both could be out a couple of weeks, according to McCarthy.

Also, running back DuJuan Harris, who missed OTAs after having a cyst near his lung removed, now has a knee injury and could be out a week or two.

Others missing practice included cornerback Davon House (illness), linebacker Jamari Lattimore (illness) and safety Chaz Powell (foot).

As expected, defensive lineman Jerel Worthy (knee) and offensive tackle Derek Sherrod (leg) remain out, but McCarthy said Sherrod is “much further along” than in the spring, when he was able to do some drill work. Rules prevent Sherrod from doing any drill work in camp, however, until he passes his physical.

Safety Sean Richardson (neck) also remains out, with various tests being done over the past couple of days, McCarthy said. Rookie offensive lineman JC Tretter, who broke his ankle during OTAs, will not be ready for the start of the season. continue

Video:

Mike McCarthy Post Practice Presser

Aaron Rodgers

Eddie Lacy

Locker Room Montague

Top Three at Training Camp: Vic Ketchman and Olivia Harlan

Photography:

Packers.com

Articles:

Mike McCarthy likes what he sees in first practice

packers.com

by Mike Spofford on Friday, July 26th, 2013

As for the action on the field, rookie cornerback Micah Hyde had an impressive first day. During team (11-on-11) work, he broke up a deep pass from B.J. Coleman intended for Sederrik Cunningham, and then in 7-on-7, he jumped an out route to Randall Cobb and swatted the ball away.

The only blemish on Hyde’s great day was on the final play of practice, when James Jones beat him to the corner to haul in a lob from Aaron Rodgers for a touchdown during no-huddle work.

“If you’d ask me who was the one player who jumped out to me, I’d say it was Micah,” McCarthy said. “That’s something that you saw on his college film at Iowa. His ability to play the football, he has excellent ball skills, he’s a very good anticipator.”

Packers cornerback makes big play of his new career

packers.com

by Vic Ketchman on Friday, July 26th, 2013

...something inside Brandon Smith told him to break on the ball and now he found himself running down the sideline with the ball in his hand, his once seemingly dead football career revived.

Smith is one of the desperate dreamers, most of whom never have a moment as Smith did in the Packers’ opening practice of training camp. If he never does another thing, he’ll remember what he did on this day.

Let’s start at the beginning, 2011, when Smith was a wide receiver who failed to stick following tries with the Panthers and the Seahawks. Football, it appeared, was in his rearview mirror.

He spent the next two seasons out of the game, but it stayed in his heart. He wasn’t ready to quit on it. He decided to reinvent himself as a cornerback.

At 6-1, 205, Smith has the kind of size and speed that are rare to the cornerback position

Smith credits Whitt with providing the confidence Smith has needed in making the move to cornerback. It’s support that couldn’t have come at a better time, as Smith lost his mother this past May, the Mother’s Day month.

“We kind of connected and he saw my talent right off the bat. He’s been my confidence. His confidence in me is carrying me through this,”Smith said.

It was Smith’s dogged determination, however, that got the ball rolling. He worked his way into a super regional combine in Dallas, a platform for second-chance athletes, this past April. His performance there earned him a look as a tryout player in the Packers’ rookie camp in May, from which the Packers signed Smith to a contract.

His football odyssey, however, reached its zenith on Friday. He left Packers fans that jammed Ray Nitschke Field to watch Aaron Rodgers throw passes, to ask each other, “Who’s the guy that intercepted that pass?” continue

Past the click, Smith deftly breaks down his interception.  Freely admit I had no idea who this guy was till I clicked on the story.  Not a bad way to start camp.  Can't stack successes without a base to build on.  With Casey Hayward a ways away he should have some opportunity for more snaps.  Will be interesting to see what he can do with him.

News & notes from Day 1 of camp

packers.com

by Mike Spofford on Friday, July 26th, 2013

No first-day jitters: The Packers’ three highest-profile draft picks said they didn’t have any first-day nerves to deal with on the practice field. Neither Datone Jones, Lacy nor Franklin did anything particularly eye-catching, but their enthusiasm for their first pro training camp was evident.

“It was exciting,” Franklin said. “We went through OTAs, so the nervousness got out then, and in rookie minicamp. Today was just learning and understanding the scheme of things, putting things together.”

Datone Jones brushed off even the idea of being nervous.

“I prepare very hard, so I’m very confident in myself,”  he said. “I believe in myself that I can get the job done. I’m able to play fast because I know my assignments. I study a lot.”

“Practice without pads is always tough,” Lacy said. “You can’t really run through them, they’re just tagging off. When we get the pads on, it’ll be different. I think I’ll do pretty good with the pads on.”

Sherrod hopeful: Former first-round pick Derek Sherrod says he feels “a heck of a lot better than at this point last year” in his recovery from a surgically repaired broken leg

“Just taking it a day at a time,”said Sherrod, who is thought to be a contender in the battle for the right tackle job should he return soon. “It could be tomorrow, it could be whenever, but I’m working very hard and making sure that I am doing everything I can to get out there as soon as possible with my teammates.”

Neal lighter, but waiting: Defensive end Mike Neal has been dogged by injuries throughout his career, but he called this latest abdomen injury that is keeping him out of training camp a “minor setback.”

Neal worked extensively at outside linebacker during OTAs and has slimmed down to help make the transition. He said he now weighs 275 pounds, down nearly 20 from his playing weight of a year ago.

“It’s more natural for me to be at this weight,” said Neal, a stalwart in the weight room throughout his football life. “I feel better at this weight.”

Neal said the coaches didn’t ask him to lose any weight but left the issue up to him. When he gets on the field, which McCarthy said could be a couple of weeks, it will be interesting to see if the Packers employ him more as an inside or outside pass rusher. Neal had 4 1/2 sacks last season as an inside rusher. continue

Last edited by titmfatied
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Photography:

Packers first training camp practice

Seven pages of really nice photos.  Would be nice of the journal to give the photographers a byline.  

Packers camp report: Friday at a glance

Past the click, there's a lot more commentary on the Packers attempted social media blackout.  For what it's worth it seems like they're doing a pretty good job of it.  There was a lot more out there last year at this time.  

Packers start camp in prevent defense toward injuries

jsonline.com

By Tyler Dunne on Friday, July 26th, 2013

Derek Sherrod:

Teammates say Sherrod has made strides behind the scenes. They see progress.

"Some guys could have gone the other way with it but Derek has really fought," center Evan Dietrich-Smith said. "He's been through a lot. Those kinds of injuries, you don't ever want to see that, especially another linemate. I'm really proud of Derek for fighting through it and trying to get back on the field and compete."

Added left tackle Bryan Bulaga, "Derek has made a lot of strides from when I've seen him working out. From four months even to now, there's been a big change."

Mike Neal:

Neal, meanwhile, said his abdomen injury is not serious. He suffered the injury through a long off-season trimming weight. Since the end of the season, Neal has lost 35 pounds, down to 275. He ran constantly and ate plenty of fish.

"I thought if I'm going to be more of a rusher I want to keep alive what I do best," Neal said, "and losing the weight wouldn't be the worst thing in the world." continue

Past the click, Tyler Dunne has, a run down on all the injured players, information about the 'TV timeouts' during practice and Derek Sherrod's thoughts on them, and some information on other tweaks the Packers are making to their conditioning program

Mike McCarthy's mission is to avoid injuries during Packers training camp

jsonline.com

by Tom Silverstein on Friday, July 26, 2013

In his back-to-camp news conference, McCarthy said a half dozen or more changes were going to be instituted to prevent training camp from turning into a triage as it did a year ago.

One of the noticeable changes is a proliferation of morning practices. The only two night practices are a 7 p.m. workout Aug. 2 and the intrasquad scrimmage inside Lambeau Field at 6:30 the following night.

Four's a crowd:

McCarthy was disappointed that rookie free-agent quarterback Matt Brown from Illinois State failed his physical and was released.

McCarthy intended to bring four quarterbacks to camp with the hope that Brown would absorb lots of information while watching the others perform. But now that Brown is gone, he has no intention of bringing in another quarterback. He has to let B.J. Coleman and Graham Harrell battle it out for No. 2 and won't have enough time to train someone who wasn't in the off-season program.

"We were hopeful to go with four and add to that," McCarthy said. "The flip side of it, too — I think everybody knows this: You're talking about training camp today and the number of reps you have in training camp, the ability to really get three quarterbacks (work) is about your limit.

"The fourth quarterback, in my opinion, in today's training camp environment is tough. There's just not enough reps."continue

Past the click there's more commentary and analysis of the timing for practices. If you're interested in the salary cap there's current information on how much under the cap the Packers are and there's also MM's presser comments about Jennings.

Battles to survive in Packers training camp

jsonline.com

by Tom Silverstein on Friday, July 26th, 2013

Of the dirty dozen unrestricted free agents he has signed since '05, only Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett and Brandon Chillar have been worthy of a second contract. The rest are just footnotes in the Thompson era.

Heading into the ninth camp under Thompson and eighth under coach Mike McCarthy, competition once again has been created. And nowhere is it expected to be fiercer than at running back.

"Running the football is a collective effort," McCarthy said. "There has to be commitment from the play-caller. It's something we need to do a better job of and I'm confident that we will." continue

Past the click, there's a rundown of the competition at safety, cb, and wr.

Packers' Aaron Rodgers refuses to comment on Greg Jennings' sour gripes

jsonline.com

by Tom Silverstein on Saturday, July 27th, 2013

Bulaga's switch:

Rather than let multiple competitions linger into August, McCarthy entrenched Bryan Bulaga as the starting left tackle on Day 1 of organized team activities. Time was on Bulaga's side.

Now that camp has begun, Bulaga hopes he's on track for a successful switch from the right side to the blind side.

"It feels better," Bulaga said. "There are going to be times where to me it looks really bad and it doesn't feel right, but it's just working through that, seeing it on film, understanding what you're doing wrong and just correcting it.

"Repetition is only going to help. It's just a process and I think any guy that made the switch will say repetition makes it better. It's not always going to look pretty right away."continue

Past the click are Rodgers on Jennings, seven paragraphs about how rookie offensive lineman J.C.  Tretter is recovering and keeping his spirits up, and Eddie Lacy with a couple of filler quotes about the running game.

Decision nears for Packers to clear, cut Richardson

jsonlne.com

by Bob McGinn on Friday, July 26th, 2013

Sean Richardson, a promising second-year safety for the Green Bay Packers, remains optimistic six months after undergoing a cervical fusion but also realizes that his football career could be over soon.

General manager Ted Thompson and the club's medical staff will have to decide whether to put Richardson back on the field with his neck injury.

"Everybody is being very cautious and getting different opinions," Richardson said Friday. "Just waiting and seeing how the injury is healing before they just release me."

"There were some tests that had to be done in the last couple days," coach Mike McCarthy said Friday. "We're gathering information. Hopefully, we're getting close to a decision with Sean." continue

Lotsmore and well worth the click for a complete update on Richardson's health.

Green Bay Press Gazette:

Photography:

Packers players at first day of Training Camp, July 26, 2013

McCarthy: This year's theme is 'protection, connection and reflection'

Green Bay Press Gazette

by Rob Demovsky on Friday, July 26th, 2013

On quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ approach:

“I thought Aaron clearly had one of his best offseasons. Our QB school, from the time we were able to spend and what we were able to accomplish was as close as we could get to the old days. Been here the whole offseason, in good shape and understands his role as the leader on our team.”

What was your theme to the team?

“The theme last night to the team was three things, protection, connection and reflection. Team 93, the 93rd football team in the history of the Green Bay Packers, and how important it is to protect that. The connection part is the workload that we need to do.”

On the backup quarterbacks' reps:

B.J. Coleman and Graham (Harrell) are pretty much split right down the middle. Want to make sure they both have an opportunity to compete for the job.”continue

Great transcription for the press conference and well worth the click.  Pretty much everything is in there.  Still disappointed packers.com doesn't do that anymore.  It's nice to be able to see the information instead of just watch the press conference.  Rob Demovsky also has a transcript of Rodgers locker room comments about Braun.

Neal reports to camp lighter, but injured again

Green Bay Press Gazette

Though he said he wasn’t worried about it turning into a more serious sports hernia injury – the same abdominal problem that cost receiver Greg Jennings half the season last year – the Packers don’t expect him on the practice field for at least the first two weeks of training camp.

“It’s just one of those things where you train, you train, you train; I think everybody noticed a noticeable difference in my size,” Neal said. “I’ve lost a little bit of weight. I’m doing a little more cutting, so for me to have some type of problem with my ab is nothing out of the norm. They realized it. When I came back I told them what it is and they knew what it was before I got back and told me to take my time and easy your way back into it. Don’t push anything. There’s a long season ahead of you. That’s where we are right now. I’m not even looking at it as a major setback. I’m running around. I’m walking. I feel fine.” continue

More quotes from Neal past the click including when he decided to lose the weight and the process he used to do so. 

Packers still optimistic about Sherrod

More than 19 months after he broke both bones in his lower right leg, Green Bay Packers tackle Derek Sherrod still hasn’t been cleared to practice.

Even so, he’s not too far behind schedule, according to sources who said the Packers expected at least an 18-month rehabilitation.

in a workout following today’s practice, Sherrod appeared to be close to being cleared for at least a limited return.

“Actually, I had a chance to watch his post-practice workout, and he’s definitely much further along than he was when he was able to go through some of the drill work in the OTAs,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

“So unfortunately with the procedures in place as far as pass or no pass on the physicals, you can’t really get him out there to do drill work with the other offensive linemen. He looks much better. I’m interested to get feedback from the trainers and really see how he feels tomorrow.” continue

More on Sherrod (including quotes) past the click.

Neck injury jeopardizes Richardson's career

“I’ve got a long life to live, and they don’t want to put me back out there and have something happen like I get paralyzed or something like that,” Richardson said. “So we’re going through all the tests and different opinions from everybody’s perspective, and we’re just going to go from there.”

Richardson said he has met with several doctors but a second surgery has not been discussed. While he is optimistic he can play again, he said he is willing to accept whatever the doctors recommend.

“It’s their decision to clear me or not,” he said. “If I’m not cleared, I’ll go on to the next step and move on in life. I’m not looking at it that way, but you’ve got to look at it from both perspectives.”continue

Packers insider: Thumbs up to Hyde, Thumbs down to Crosby

by Pete Dougherty on Friday, July 26th, 2013

Did you notice?

Return man and receiver Jeremy Ross was in a new role on special teams as Tim Masthay’s personal protector with the No. 1 punt team. Fullback John Kuhn held that job the last few years and worked as the backup Friday. Though Ross is a receiver, he has enough size (215 pounds) to hold up as a blocker and would provide more speed in coverage if he wins the job.

• Second-year offensive lineman Don Barclay could end up being the backup center on game day if he doesn’t win the starting right tackle job. Though Greg Van Roten worked as the No. 2 center behind Evan Dietrich-Smith, Barclay played center regularly also when he wasn’t taking snaps at right tackle. The Packers usually suit up only seven offensive linemen on game day, so if Barclay is a viable backup at center, he would be attractive as one of the two game-day backups because he could play at least three positions (right tackle, right guard and center).

Andrew Datko, who spent all last season on the practice squad, played every position but center. continue

Notebook: Sherrod may be close to limited return

Sherrod required immediate emergency surgery to place a rod in his leg on the night of his injury. Then, after missing the 2012 season, he underwent a second surgery this past offseason on his ankle. That procedure was performed by noted foot specialist Dr. Robert Anderson of Charlotte, N.C.

Sherrod’s injury was similar to the one sustained by former Packers center Mike Flanagan, who needed more than a year to return but eventually became a solid starter. One thing working in Sherrod’s favor is that he didn’t sustain any of the nerve damage that complicated Flanagan’s comeback.

■ Cornerback Davon House was cleared to practice after undergoing surgery on his left shoulder in January but couldn’t practice due to a recent bout with food poisoning. He said a decision hasn’t been made about if he’ll still wear the harness for preventative measures this season but could be back on the field as soon as today.continue

Harris anxious to compete for starting role

by Weston Hodkiewicz on Friday, July 26th, 2013

Harris, who was placed on the physically unable to perform list on Thursday, is adamant he’s “100 percent” and playing the role of bystander merely as a precaution.

Whenever he does return, Harris still sees himself in the same role he finished last season – as the team’s starting running back – but is fully prepared to work to retain those honors.

“Yeah, I do, but I’m taking it one day at a time,” Harris said. “Right now, I’m trying to make the team. Then after that, focus on me being the starter. I’m definitely going to get out there. The game is all about competition ,so that’s definitely what it’s going to be and I’m ready for all of it.” continue

Past the click more quotes from Harris and background from Weston Hodkiewicz.

ESPN WISCONSIN:

Less weight could mean more health for Neal

by Jason Wilde on Friday, July 26th, 2013

"Some people, you just look at them, they're just built completely different," Neal said. "I'd like to say that at 294 I was really explosive, and that's not really good because if you've got all that muscle, you're pulling too much on tendons and stuff like that. And I've had tendon and ligament injuries. I mean, I've looked at it and I know it's one of those things. You're 300 pounds, but you can move a little bit faster than them. But, you're doing a lot of pulling and yanking on stuff that you shouldn't. The loss of weight will definitely be better on my body.

"It's more natural for me to be this weight, I feel better at this weight, I think I utilize my abilities better at this weight.

"The good thing is they let it be known that, 'We're putting you in a position we feel definitely will give more opportunity to you. What do you do? You rush the passer. so we'll give you every opportunity to do that from every position on the line of scrimmage,'" Neal said. "It's just one of those things you have to learn every position. You never know where you're going to line up next." continue

Past the click even more quotes from Neal

Nelson on Jennings: 'It's sad to see'

by Jason Wilde on Friday, July 26th, 2013

Jordy Nelson initially wanted to go with the easy "No comment." But he did not.

No, the Green Bay Packers wide receiver found himself answering a yes-or-no question -- Are you disappointed in Greg Jennings? -- with more than one word Friday afternoon, even though he knew he could've avoided it altogether.

"Was I disappointed?" he then continued. "I would say yes, mainly because I would be disappointed in anyone ... I think someone who had a relationship like they (Rodgers and Jennings) had -- or I guess you thought they had, whichever way it (is) -- it's sad to see. It's disappointing when someone leaves that they have to continue to stay stuff. But we'll be good."

Asked if he wondered if Jennings had changed,Nelson replied, "We have great respect for everyone in this locker room and everyone that we play against and who has been through here. We can't control what other people say, I'm not going to become part of it. After today, I will be done talking about it. We know each other in this locker room, we know what we think of each other in this locker room, we don't have any problems with anyone in this locker room." continue

Past the click, Randall Cobb displays how to put a media controversy to bed. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.