Skip to main content

Hold on a damn second on the old and overused talk. McCoy is 26. He's averaged 16.2 carries per game over his career. Lacy is averaging over 17 his first two years. He's 24. Are we saying in 2 years it will be time to cut that overused man loose because he's too damn old or see if a young decent LB might be available in a trade? 

Originally Posted by ChilliJon:

Personally I think Chip Kelly is going to leave Philly a smoldering pile when he jumps back into college football in a couple years. 

And what will the Bills look like when Rex gets his ass fired in about 3 years? A bigger smoldering pile. 

I don't doubt Rex will be out of work soon. I don't get where Chip is going with all this though. He sent DeSean Jackson packing last year. He cut a starting CB today and is going to cut a starting DE loose anytime now. He may lose Macklin to FA next week. He has a shaky as **** QB situation. 

Out with the old, in with the new

Clearing cap space to grab a bunch of FA's

Need a bunch of FA's to fill out your roster...

if you are trading a pile of draft picks to move up and snag the QB

Are we saying in 2 years it will be time to cut that overused man (Lacy) loose because he's too damn old or see if a young decent LB might be available in a trade?

in today's NFL I could actually see that.  once those 4 years of low rookie wages are up for the devalued disposable RB spot it's time to cycle in the next 4 year wonder.  I'm not a fan of it but I'm sure plenty of GMs look at it like that.

For a team that would build a good part of their offense around a very versatile guy like Cobb, PHI, SEA, NO?  They would be a good fit but it looks like their roster and cap is a bit of a mess.

Dream Team 2.

Originally Posted by Fandame:

Oregon East. Wonder when Kelly will figure it out that not all college players can play in the NFL.  

I wonder that as well.  What he did at Oregon is pretty impressive but I still am trying to figure out why everyone was nuthugging him so much as the best coach ever when he hasn't won anything yet.  Now I think his offense is pretty darn good but you have to wonder what his defensive philosophy is because when you score quickly your defense is going to spend a ton of time on the field.  Right now they have let go of 3/4 of their secondary and cut a pretty decent (but older) DE in Cole.   Like others have said I kind of hope he crashes and burns.

Originally Posted by cuqui:

@EasterbrookG: Last year Bills traded 2 #1s, 2 #4s and young star (Alonzo) for WR and RB. Patriots just won Super Bowl with waiver guys at those positions.

Dum. While the trade for Watkins was way too much IMO, the Patriots had Brady, Gronkowski, Wright (whom they gave up a an all-pro OL for) and Blunt was on the waiver wire for being a turd, not for lacking talent, and Shane Vereen was a draft pick that played a major role in their backfield also. Buffalo needs to lean on the running game as the have EJ Manuel (which was the real mistake by the previous regime) and what? at QB and a surplus of linebackers.  

Last edited by Herschel

I think it's also desperation on Kelly's part. He crashed last year and people are wondering if his style can succeed; his solution is to circle with wagons with familiar players who he knows buy into what he's doing. Pretty soon it will be a college team playing in the NFL...

Originally Posted by Herschel:

Damn, that's a big trade. I wonder if the Iggles go after Gordon or Gurley now.

They have a couple of talented RBs already on the roster. Sproles is explosive. I don't think they are all that worried about losing McCoy. On the other hand, their ILB's made AJ Hawk and Brad Jones look like Hall of Famers. No surprise they signed Brad Jones. He really is an upgrade over what they have.

Kiko is one of the best young MLB's in the league, assuming his ACL injury isn't too much of a factor in his play, moving forward. Plus, they gain about $10 million in cap space to help fill in other needs. I think the Eagles did alright in this trade..

He also had hip surgery just before blowing out his ACL working out in Oregon before the 2014 season. Great LB. Not quite "Bostick fragile" but there's enough history there to worry.  

Originally Posted by ChilliJon:

I don't doubt Rex will be out of work soon. I don't get where Chip is going with all this though. He sent DeSean Jackson packing last year. He cut a starting CB today and is going to cut a starting DE loose anytime now. He may lose Macklin to FA next week. He has a shaky as **** QB situation. 

Their starting corners were the worst in the league, last year. He should cut them both.

Originally Posted by Goalline:
Originally Posted by Herschel:

Damn, that's a big trade. I wonder if the Iggles go after Gordon or Gurley now.

They have a couple of talented RBs already on the roster. Sproles is explosive. I don't think they are all that worried about losing McCoy. On the other hand, their ILB's made AJ Hawk and Brad Jones look like Hall of Famers. No surprise they signed Brad Jones. He really is an upgrade over what they have.

Kiko is one of the best young MLB's in the league, assuming his ACL injury isn't too much of a factor in his play, moving forward. Plus, they gain about $10 million in cap space to help fill in other needs. I think the Eagles did alright in this trade..

Sproles is a nice utility tool, but I don't think Polk is a main guy. They could wait a bit on a Ajayi, Yeldon or Langford in Round 2 or maybe 3.

I think it was a good trade for both sides.

Last edited by Herschel

Bills just traded for Matt Cassell from the Vikings.

Ordinarily I wouldn't have bothered posting that save for this factoid that just popped up:

@darrenrovell: Matt Cassel had made more than $70 million in his NFL career.

And here I'd thought Matt Flynn had the scrub QB dollar trophy.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/04/...op-free-agents-1-50/

40. Tramon Williams

40-tramon-williams-ghmCB, Green Bay (Age 32)

This veteran can still play. Has 27 interceptions over past seven seasons. Missed one game over past five years, and he played through a lot of injuries that affected his performance. Best fit: Vikings. For some reason, they always end up with Packers at the end of their careers, and Minnesota could use the help.

Nice swipe at the Queens.

Originally Posted by cuqui:

@EasterbrookG: Last year Bills traded 2 #1s, 2 #4s and young star (Alonzo) for WR and RB. Patriots just won Super Bowl with waiver guys at those positions.

Gregg Easterbrook is a haughty dip****.

@mortreport: Peyton Manning ready to take $4 million pay-cut on deal in final stages; he'll make $15 million, not $19 million, per @Jeff_Legwold & myself.

probably insisted it be more than Tom Terrific, tho

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.