Skip to main content

Originally Posted by bubbleboy789:

can we all just take a moment and be thankful we have a GM like Ted Thompson?

The New Orleans Saints have until Tuesday to clear out about $22 million in cap space. $22 million OVER the cap and they didn't even win 8 games last season. What a nightmare.

Also add about 5.5 million to sign their draft picks latter this offseason. 

I ran across this story just now,

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...&partner=ya5nbcs

It is reported that Williams turned down a contract offer of 8 million for 2 years.

Last edited by turnip blood
Originally Posted by turnip blood:
I ran across this story just now,

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...&partner=ya5nbcs

It is reported that Williams turned down a contract offer of 8 million for 2 years.

Following up on tp's post, the referenced story is sourced from a new McGinn piece. Says Tramon wants term and guaranteed money that TT probably won't agree to. 4-5 years at 5 million per.

And that the Seahawks want Tramon as the replacement for Byron Maxwell.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports...902z1-295115171.html

It seems odd to me that the Seahawks would want Tramon.  He does not seem to fit their scheme.  He is a smaller corner who relied more on athleticism than power.  At his age he does not have the athleticism to fall back on in the way he used to.  There is no chance the Seahawks pay him that kind of money.  They will be looking to extend guys like Wilson, Wagner and Irvin this offseason.  All three have past that 3-year barrier where they can renegotiate their contracts.  To get those three players up to the salaries of comparable players at their positions will cost $25-28 million.  If they get it done, they may not have much cap space left.  Other guys in that 2012 draft include Sweezy, Turbin and Lane.  I really hope they try to overcompensate Tramon though.

Originally Posted by heyward:

Why would anybody in their right mind pay $30M+ over 5 years for House? He still hasn't proven that he can even be a solid starting cornerback.

I disagree.  Injuries are the only thing holding House back.  If he's healthy for 16 games, he can be damn good.  And if a 32 year old Tramon gets $25m over 5 years, I have no doubt House will get more from someone.  This is the NFL these days, where crappy teams with cap space get to set the market.  

Originally Posted by J-Barn:

It seems odd to me that the Seahawks would want Tramon.  

We don't know that they do.

What we do know is that Schneider likes Tramon and that as Tramon is in the middle of negotiating with the Packers....a 2nd suitor is a very good thing to have

Do not pay attention to all the crapola that gets put out there right now. Reporters sometimes have the same agent as the Free Agent in question and do them a favor by reporting: An NFL source says....Read the McGinn column carefully and note where the quotes come from:

" A source close to Williams and his agent, Rodney Williams of Katy, Texas, told the Journal Sentinel that the Seahawks have made it clear they're going after the 31-year-old cornerback because they have little or no chance to re-sign Maxwell, an unrestricted free agent.

Everybody is negotiating in the media, especially with regards to the Packers

Thompson and the front office are fiscally responsible and it drives the agents nuts, so they will do anything and everything to try and squeeze the Pack for more.

Tramon wants to be in GB, but he wants it at his price. The Packers have their price, which is a competitive and generous number, but not stupid price.

So he uses the Seahawks interest as a wedge to get closer to what he wants

Do you really think Seattle would be out there telling people their FA plans ahead of time ?

How does that help Seattle by informing others of their intentions ? Would telling others make it easier/cheaper for Seattle to get Tramon or harder/more expensive ? How would the corner-needy 9ers respond to this news ? Would they try to swoop in a grab him or bump up the price just to screw with their rivals ?

With all these stories about this player going here or there and this team wanting so-and-so, I remember this post with regards to Hawk's release:

Originally Posted by cuqui:

Listening to Hawk's podcast. He was notified over a week ago that he was being released. Not one word leaked even though the Packer brain trust and over 4,000 credentialed reporters were at the combine.

TT is really in the wrong line of business, he should be in charge of all state secrets. Amazing.

Those who know, aren't the ones talking.

@ Satori, no. What I'm suggesting is that McGinn either didn't do his homework or he deliberately crossed the streams when he heard SEA was interested in/talking to CB Williams. He then mentions Tramon as that Williams to get Packers fans clicking his article. Knowing full well it is Cary that SEA is talking to now, because they can, 'cause the Oreagles cut him.... and therefore no tampering.

I also agree with you that there is no benefit for SEA to say they are looking at Tramon to replace Maxwell.

I think it depends on who is actually making the decisions on the Raiders. If Mark Davis is calling the shots then I'm sure we will see a spending spree and they will continue to be a dumpster fire, but if Reggie McKenzie is actually getting to do his job then I think they will be smarter. McKenzie has had to blow up the roster and I think he's actually done a better job than most could have. He's had to jettison a lot of overpaid or overrated talent and he's had to piecemeal a roster together with veteran stopgaps because there wasn't any kind of rising talent on the roster. I think obviously they're going to use their salary cap space by signing a big name, possibly Suh, but I don't think McKenzie will allow that player to hamstring that team even if it is only his last year. Mark Davis on the other hand only cares about selling tickets so he will bring in all the overpriced talent he can get his hands on to excite the 12 fans they have left who haven't become 49er fans or been stabbed to death in the parking lot.

McKenzie wants to salvage his career as a GM though. If he fails another season and the team is still a clusterfck then he's a failure as a GM who couldn't deal with a crazy owner. If he gets the team on some kind of positive track, even if he ultimately the season is mostly unsuccessful and is fired, then he looks like a guy who knows what he's doing, but was in a really crappy situation with a crazy owner.
Originally Posted by Boris:

Raiders & Jags looking to see who can make the biggest splash.

I'm telling you....Cobb is going to get $12-$13 million from 1 of them

This year teams are required to spend at least 90% of their cap money. There are not that many high price free agents out their, that is why I think Cobb will get a crazy high contract because some team will have to do because of the  laborer rules.

Branch, Woodley, Jones-Drew cut to make room for Suh, Cobb, Thomas. In a few years those guys will be shed to make room for the next crop. 

Reggie was handed a bag of dog**** to work with in Oakland to begin with but the after a while you can't escape one of footballs best truths. Free Agency is the price paid for drafting poorly. 

Originally Posted by turnip blood:
Originally Posted by Boris:

Raiders & Jags looking to see who can make the biggest splash.

I'm telling you....Cobb is going to get $12-$13 million from 1 of them

This year teams are required to spend at least 90% of their cap money. There are not that many high price free agents out their, that is why I think Cobb will get a crazy high contract because some team will have to do because of the  laborer rules.

Including the Packers.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.