Skip to main content

I hope the Raiders will realize the magnitude of the rebuilding effort the team required.

They've suffered their salary cap hell, and now have a chance to build a team, and position it for the future. But it surely will take 2-3 years at the minimum to do that.

I realize teams, like people these days, want instant gratification. But that's just not a realistic scenario for teams stuck in perpetual suck.

I also have the feeling that the Raiders, Jags, or maybe someone else will pay big for Cobb in the range of 12-13 per year.  As much as I want Cobb back that is just too steep and I trust TT to fill that gap.  The one player I have heard very little about is Bulaga.  I haven't heard much on if the Packers want to keep him and if some other teams might be interested.

Dolphins think they can get Suh. Helps to have no state tax.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com...ng-of-a-defense.html

...It is going to take a deal in the vicinity of $102 million over six years. The final deal will average out near $17 million per season but that isn't the important number.

The important numbers are that the deal will have to include about $30-32 million that is fully guaranteed with another $20-$25 million in additional guarantees.

Of that $100-plus million, Suh is going to want a huge chunk in the first three years. That will mean approximately $55 million in the first three years which will be the actual and true money on this coming deal...

I would say Jacksonville is Miami's biggest rival because it is in the same state and that means the Suh camp will be able to compare financial apples to apples in that there is no state tax in Florida. An offer from Oakland, in liberal-leaning California where there is a 13.3 state tax (highest in the nation), means the Raiders would have to make up between $8-$10 million that Suh would lose to taxes to merely match an offer from Miami or Jacksonville.

That's not politics. That's simply the math imposed on California residents by legislators.

Last edited by ilcuqui
Originally Posted by Herschel:

Were I Reggie McKenzie, I'd go after Suh, Pernell McPhee, maybe Julius Thomas (thin TE crop)and David Harris, front-load the deals, and go from there.

I would rather sign Knighton, who is a guy that doesn't get much talk with the Suh craze. Not sure how he fits what Oakland is doing on defense, but really good player and much lower risk. Hope to god he doesn't somehow end up in New England to replace Wilfork. 

I agree on McPhee being a good get. 

The "no state income tax" thing is generally a sham. The states get their tax money, one way or another, in one form or another, be it sales tax, taxable items/services, personal property tax, etc. It works out well in some cases, where someone has a boatload of money and can shelter it in other states, etc. which Suh probably can with this deal, but for the average person, yeah, not so much.  

From PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...ear-31-million-deal/):

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch has agreed to terms on a new contract that covers the next three years.  And he’ll be paid at the high end of the running back market.

Per a source with knowledge of the terms, Lynch gets $12 million this year, in the form $7.5 million signing bonus and a $4.5 million fully-guaranteed base salary.

In 2016, Lynch (if he plays) will get a base salary of $9 million.  In 2017 (if he plays), it’s a base salary of $7 million in 2017 along with a $3 million roster bonus due on the fifth day of the 2017 league year.

If Lynch retires after 2015, he’d be responsible in theory for paying back $5 million of the signing bonus.  But the Seahawks wouldn’t be required to pursue the money.  If they know going in that he may walk after 2015 (and that probably was one of the subjects discussed at Friday’s sit-down regarding the contract), it would be a surprise if they seek repayment of the money.

Lynch was scheduled to make $7 million in 2015, the final year of a four-year contract.  So, basically, he got another $5 million to return for one more year.

@ProFootballTalk: So much for depressed RB market; LeSean McCoy gets $10.25M, Marshawn Lynch gets $12M, Vikings begging Adrian Peterson to take $12.75M.

Last edited by ilcuqui
Originally Posted by Herschel:

The "no state income tax" thing is generally a sham. The states get their tax money, one way or another, in one form or another, be it sales tax, taxable items/services, personal property tax, etc. It works out well in some cases, where someone has a boatload of money and can shelter it in other states, etc. which Suh probably can with this deal, but for the average person, yeah, not so much.  

Rong.

As a Floridian, thank-you tourists. My property taxes are half of what there were in Sconnnie, our sales tax is 6.5 percent.My income tax? Zero.

Come to Flori-duh!

Last edited by Blair Kiel

@PackerUpdate: @AdamSchefter reports Texans have re-signed free agent CB Kareem Jackson. Good news for Davon House and Tramon Williams.

@taniaganguli: Kareem Jackson's deal is worth $8.5 million, per year. Great for him. #Texans

@taniaganguli: Jackson's deal includes $20 million in guarantees.

Last edited by ilcuqui
On one hand it's great to see a division rival lose a premier defensive player and we won't have to play against Suh for another 3 years. On the other hand I never thought Suh ever had a major impact vs GB (unless you count stomping) and it would have been great to see the Lions put themselves in cap hell when they have other defensive needs. Surely they can re-sign Fairley and the backups for they would have paid Suh. Signing Suh have made signing quality depth almost impossible.

I hear that GD.  That's why I haven't thought that much of Suh - I can't really recall him ever getting the best of our players or being the reason the loins beat us.  You'd think I'd remember some impact plays for a $100mil man.  Stomps are what come to mind first.  And I'm not saying he didn't beat up on any GBP player, just that I don't recall any plays that changed a game.

Suh never dominated against GB, but Detroit has given GB fits in Detroit for several years. You have to believe scheming to stop Suh played a role in the success Detroits defense has had at Ford Field. 

Having said that, if Detroit uses the 20 million freed up to sign some combination of players like Tramon, House, Bulaga, and another 5-7 million dollar player they could end up being better off. 

There's a reason some franchises are perennial losers.

@JasonLaCanfora: Bills went above and beyond for Shady McCoy. 5 yrs and 26.05 guaranteed w/$13.125 sign bonus. $40M total  comp with $16M (!!) in year one...

@JasonLaCanfora: That's an unreal haul for a guy coming off his worst season still signed to longterm deal  at a position being devalued in most places...

@JasonLaCanfora: Bills may well regret this pre-free agency splurge. Bid against themselves on McCoy and Incognito and they're not done spending yet...

@JasonLaCanfora: McCoy at $16M for '15 blows away any other RB compensation for this year. Peterson at $13M (if not lower on a new deal). Lynch just got $12M.

Last edited by ilcuqui

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.