Skip to main content

Grave Digger posted:

I'm curious if this means the end for Raji or if his demands are reasonable. I'm actually surprised, there are some teams in need of DL help this offseason who would probably throw a bunch of money at Guion. I figured he would rather test FA than re-sign so soon. Perhaps he just likes it in GB. 

3.6 mil per is hardly big money for a DL.

El-Ka-Bong posted:

So Mike Daniels thinks Letroy is an asshole?

Goalline posted:
Grave Digger posted:

I'm curious if this means the end for Raji or if his demands are reasonable. I'm actually surprised, there are some teams in need of DL help this offseason who would probably throw a bunch of money at Guion. I figured he would rather test FA than re-sign so soon. Perhaps he just likes it in GB. 

3.6 mil per is hardly big money for a DL.

Oh I agree, that's why I'm surprised. I thought a team hard up for players on the DL would offer a lot more. I figured GB would offer a reasonable deal that Guion would balk at in favor of testing FA. It seems Raji is the one who will test FA. 

If it does come down to Ted picking one between Guion and Raji, I think this is the right move.  The JS article notes how Guion really wasn't a factor against the pass this season, but if he comes into camp next year not so muscled up and stiff he'll give the Packers much more of a pass-rush upside than Raji would.  Guion seems to be a bit more versatile and can fit in both a nose guard and at the 5-technique end.  I wouldn't have minded to see the Packers move on from both players but with as thin as they were on the defensive line it figured that at least one of them would be back.

Also wouldn't be surprising to see Raji back.  After all Ted spent a top 10 pick on him, and it's pretty obvious at this point that Ted never, never, never wants to give up on a guy he spent a high draft pick on.

Price tag is reasonable for a good rotational guy. I'd like to see Pennell continue to get more snaps, and we could see Ringo used as a Daniels-like pass rusher.

And as others have mentioned, looks like a great draft for bigs. One site has 25 3-4 DL with an R 1-3 grade.

PackerJoe posted:

If it does come down to Ted picking one between Guion and Raji, I think this is the right move.  The JS article notes how Guion really wasn't a factor against the pass this season, but if he comes into camp next year not so muscled up and stiff he'll give the Packers much more of a pass-rush upside than Raji would.  Guion seems to be a bit more versatile and can fit in both a nose guard and at the 5-technique end.  I wouldn't have minded to see the Packers move on from both players but with as thin as they were on the defensive line it figured that at least one of them would be back.

Also wouldn't be surprising to see Raji back.  After all Ted spent a top 10 pick on him, and it's pretty obvious at this point that Ted never, never, never wants to give up on a guy he spent a high draft pick on.

Personally... I consider Raji's drop zone INT and TD run back against the Bears to be one of the greatest plays in Packer History and lore.

The Hula dance ...in your face to the Bears faithful and on their turf...in THAT game kind of seals the deal.

We received full value for Raji as a top 10 pick at that moment in time...it's been all gravy and biscuits  since....literally and figuratively. 

Last edited by oldschool

Jared Allen retires:

In a video posted at his Twitter page, veteran NFL defensive end Jared Allen announced his retirement. On horseback.

“I just want to say thank you for an amazing 12-year career,” Allen said. “This was the part where I was gonna ride off into the sunset. But seeing how there’s no sunset, I’m just gonna ride off.”

And then he rode off.

Linky: http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...s-off-absent-sunset/

Last edited by DurangoDoug

Wouldn't be surprised to see more guys like Mayo retire early after they get the big second contract and the concussions and injuries rack up. Hopefully it means he's invested his money wisely.

Tdog posted:

no ring for you!  I won't miss him.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up on either BSPN or NFLUN. Loud guys with nothing to say always have a place to voice those empty opinions.

DurangoDoug posted:

Jared Allen retires:

In a video posted at his Twitter page, veteran NFL defensive end Jared Allen announced his retirement. On horseback.

“I just want to say thank you for an amazing 12-year career,” Allen said. “This was the part where I was gonna ride off into the sunset. But seeing how there’s no sunset, I’m just gonna ride off.”

And then he rode off.

Linky: http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...s-off-absent-sunset/

Meh...a dick on a horse is still a dick. 

So as they say...screw him and the horse he rode in on. 

Holy shiit.....

Rams cut Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Jared Cook

The Rams have a brand new home in Los Angeles -- and a rapidly changing roster to go with it.

The team on Friday announced they released defensive end Chris Long, linebacker James Laurinaitis and tight end Jared Cook. The team later confirmed the moves.

"This is the time of year when all NFL teams are faced with difficult decisions regarding their veteran players," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said in a statement.

"Chris and James are the epitome of what it means to be a pro in this league and it's been an honor to coach them both. They've been the pillars of our defense for many years and not enough can be said of their love for the game and for their teammates. Beyond the field, they took pride in mentoring the younger players and doing their part to make a real difference in the St. Louis community. We will always be grateful for James and Chris' unselfish commitment to the Rams and wish them the best moving forward.

"Jared made an immediate impact when he joined the team in 2013. It's been a pleasure watching him grow from the time I drafted him in Tennessee to seeing him set franchise records in St. Louis. Like Chris and James, he's been a mainstay in the community and his contributions are commendable. We hope for the best for Jared and his family as he embarks on the next steps of his career."

The trio of cuts will save the West Coast-bound Rams a combined $24.375 million in cap space for 2016, per NFL Media's Albert Breer. The team will carry an additional $4.7 million in dead money off the veteran contracts.

This team needs two new ILBs, Laurinaitis could be paired with a draft pick to solve that problem. Solid player who won't cost much. The correct number of snaps for Clay Matthews at ILB in 2016 is 0. It really hurts this defense to have to play him at ILB and waste time with backups like Neal and Perry on the edge.

Last edited by Pack-Man

No to Jared Cook. Yes to the other 2.  Cook would just be Davante Adams 2.0: a guy that should be a good/great player and will see the field because of that but does not perform.  I'd almost rather have a crappy #3 TE who will consistent on the field than a guy like Jared Cook who consistently disappoints.  

I don't know how Long fits into our defense but I've always liked how he plays.  Big injury risk but could pay off if the price is right.  

And agree with GD on Laurinitis - inarguably the best ILB on our roster the minute he signs.  

Yes. Jake Ryan hasn't shown much and, as such, shouldn't be counted on as a starter. If he beats the other guys out, so be it. 

Chris Long likely doesn't have a place on the defense as he's probably 275#-280#, unless he can lose 15# and shows lateral agility he hasn't before. He's generally been a power DE, but not overly bulky.

GBFanForLife posted:

So they should pick up Laurinitis, draft another ILB and tell Jake Ryan to **** off.

The Packers are fools if they rely on Jake Ryan going into training camp. Either draft two ILBs, or sign an FA and draft another guy. He didn't do enough to be penciled in as a starter. Let him win a job in August, if he's good enough. Barrington, Palmer and Thomas aren't really very good either. They need a serious infusion of talent at both the two ILB spots. Get two new guys in there, have a competition, and cut the two (or three, depending on how many LBs they keep) worst players.

Last edited by Pack-Man

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.