Skip to main content

Bruce Irvin prepares to cash in on open market

Zz04YTAzZGQ2MzZlNmU2MTUwNWIzM2E3OTU3ZjI0MjQ3Yw== AP

Last year, the Seahawks could have exercised the fifth-year option on Bruce Irvin’s rookie contract. They didn’t.

With Super Bowl 50 placing an even greater premium on pass rushers, it means that Irvin will soon be leaving Seattle.

Barring a new contract or the use of the franchise tag (both of which are believed to be highly unlikely at this point), Irvin will sign elsewhere — on a deal that easily will surpass $10 million annually.

Irvin’s ability to get after the pass comes during a free-agency cycle with not many quality pass rushers even available. Dolphins defensive end Olivier Vernon is the other big name to watch.

A first-round pick in 2012, Irvin had eight sacks as a rookie. Last year, in a contract year, he had 5.5.

Still, the 2016 free-agent pickings are slim. And Irvin is in the right place at the right time. And it’s safe to say at this point that someone will pay him, possibly more than he deserves.

Regardless of whether Irvin deserves it, he’s going to get it. Because teams are going to make getting after the quarterback a huge priorit

If Irvin will "easily" get >10 mil year, then no way TT will sign him for that. But more interesting will be IF say Irvin commands that salary, then what will Perry or Neal get? Both of those guys were as productive as Irvin in 2015 although yes Perry has injury concerns. You have to wonder whether both of these FA's will price themselves out of 1265.

Florio's an idiot. Every year there's a huge demand for pass rushers. It's not like the Super Bowl was some sort of revelation. 

There's little chance of Perry being back, unless his injury history really scares teams. Neal, on the other hand, is likely viewed as a 'tweener and could well be back.    

we know Ted wont look for any outside help, but if you were GM would you 

consider any of the following names expected to be released:

Mario Williams expected to be released in Buffalo. a few years younger than Peppers - doesnt fit in Bills new scheme. 

Barkevious Mingo expected to be Released in Cleveland

I like Eric Weddle - I think hes still got something

Martellus Bennett worth kicking the tires? definitely an upgrade but kind of a head case . but who wouldnt in that offense and wearing those colors?

DL Rashede Hageman in Atlanta

DE Charles Johnson of Carolina

CJ Spiller could replace Starks as a change of pace back from Lacy, and push Crockett

Rams DE Chris Long

and already mentioned Seattle LB Bruce Irvin

Wolf, we should sign them all.

Like everything else, we must ask ourselves 3 questions before we sign any of those putzes.

1. Will they dominate in GB's system?

2. How much will they cost?

3. Will they come to GB?

Last edited by Goalline
CUPackFan posted:

Doubtful TT signs any of them but we need something to talk about, right?

2 pt tries not engaging enough for you?

Mario Williams would be good if the price is right.

Nothing more to argue on the 2 pt conversion.  Going for two it was the right call and anyone who disagrees with that is an idiot .  

And guys like Mario Williams are intriguing; player who have signed that one huge contract but have grown disgruntled due to losing and/or poor coaching.  Guys like that can be hungry to win and show the world they're not done, ie: Woodson and Peppers, and to a lesser extent, Pickett.  

I'll pass on Mario Williams.  We're overloaded with Bills coverage here in Rochester and Williams has been moaning all year about being misused in Rex Ryan's scheme.  Some of the Bills anonymously complained to reporters about Williams not giving 100%.  He disappeared way too much this year.

Mario would be an interesting fit. He's a MUCH better version of Nick Perry, though I wonder if he wants to move back to 3-4 'backer. He's not a long-term fix. 

Barkevious Mingo would also be interesting. He was built more for 3-4 OLB and Cleveland wanted him to put his hand down. He's also just finishing his t=rookie deal, so if he works out, he could be around for a while. 

Mario Williams would be intriguing. It's a completely different mind set when you move to a franchise that has a long history of winning. This scheme would fit his skills better here and while it's not a necessarily a key reason why, GB does have either the best or one of the best facilities for training in the NFL.

Not surprisingly, the Patriots are rumored to be a team that will have interest. Whether it's here or a team like NE, I could easily see his attitude doing a 180

Remember, Williams never had an issue with being a malcontent until Rex Ryan showed up, installed his defensive scheme, and saw the teams sack total go from 54 in 2014 to 21 in 2015, with nearly identical personnel and no significant injury issues.  Rex empowers his players to speak their minds to the media, so he was just following orders.  

Williams is also listed at 6'6" 295 lbs and isn't the athlete Peppers is.  3-4 OLBs have to cover and play in space, and wasn't that Williams' big criticism of Rex Ryan's scheme?  

Mingo would be interesting.  He's been a bust with Cleveland but other than their offensive lineman, who hasn't been a bust with Cleveland?  Patriots did very well plucking Jabaal Sheard last year from the Browns, so Mingo might be worth a shot.  And he'd come cheap.  

EDIT: Regarding Williams fit here, I think he'd have to play a DE role, right?  He'd be a huge mismatch anytime he leaves the trenches.  

Last edited by CUPackFan

Yeah but was he good at it and does he want to play it?  He left Houston and he seems unhappy in Buffalo being asked to drop into coverage, which is part of playing OLB.

Just seems like the Packers are constantly fitting square pegs into round holes on this defense.  Raji at DE......Peppers, Perry and Neal at OLB.........players bouncing between ILB and OLB, etc.  Why can't we just get players that play a position we need?  Isn't that what free agency is for?  

That may be reading the situation incorrectly.  Calling Peppers, Perry and Neal "square pegs in round holes" assumes they should be playing X when they are really playing Y.  Are you saying all three of those guys would be more effective as DE's in a 4-3?  I don't believe that.  Perry and Neal, even bulked up, would be on the small side and Peppers' athleticism would not be fully utilized.  Neal was moved to OLB because he wasn't being effective with his hand on the ground.  That was in a 3-4 but still.  Capers' D has a position called "elephant" that mixes the role of DE and OLB.  He has been said to favor that hybrid/versatility over pre-designated positions.  Think function rather than position. 

The "elephant end" was not part of Dom's scheme until 2014, when we had no traditional 3-4 OLB's to play opposite CMIII.  Quote from this article: 

The addition of the flexible outside linebacker position is an admission by the Packers that they have a bevy of outside tweeners in Mike Neal, Nick Perry, and rookie Carl Bradford.

Julius Peppers is also expected to play a heavy elephant role, which fits his skill set.

This is exactly what I'm saying......how about we stop bringing in tweeners and actually draft players who fit?  

CUPackFan posted:

This is exactly what I'm saying......how about we stop bringing in tweeners and actually draft players who fit?  

Because, when it's our turn to draft TT selects the best football player he can find regardless of position.

Why would you reach because of a need? It's been proven more often than not if you reach, you're unsuccessful. 

I can imagine that deal going down like the deal Kramer made with the coffee company.

About to be offered a large monetary settlement, the lawyers start by saying "we're willing to give you free coffee for the rest of your life and ...

Kramer: "DEAL!".

Forte out per his instagram

mforte22Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end. I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency. I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history. My only regret is not being able to win a Lombardi trophy for the best fans in all of sports. I'm excited about the next chapter of my NFL career. But, Chicago will always be home. God Bless and Bear Down!

Last edited by Jelly

I'm curious if this means the end for Raji or if his demands are reasonable. I'm actually surprised, there are some teams in need of DL help this offseason who would probably throw a bunch of money at Guion. I figured he would rather test FA than re-sign so soon. Perhaps he just likes it in GB. 

I'm bummed about Raji.  I had high hopes for him this year playing his natural NT position.  He looked great early in the year and had flashes the rest of the year but was never able to consistently put it together.  I remember 2 consecutive plays in the Cardinals playoff game: first play he's blown off the ball for a 7-8 yard run, then very next play he blows it up for 2-3 yard loss.  That was his season in a nutshell.  The ability was there, the consistency was not.  

IMO, Guion is a pretty average player.  $11m over 3 years seems high for that.  But maybe an average DL goes for over $3m these days.  Throw in his versatility to play NT and DE and maybe he is worth it.  Cross your fingers he stays out of trouble......

@ByRyanWood: In a text, B.J. Raji says his future with #Packers is "uncertain at this point" after "well-deserved" contract for teammate Letroy Guion.

@ByRyanWood: Raji says he has "not yet" started negotiations with #Packers. Re-signing him and Letroy Guion would offer depth, but might be a luxury.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.