Skip to main content

michiganjoe posted:

Ummmmm......

5th paragraph is especially special. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

The Bills and Rexy are having one f-'ed up offseason:

Bills cut Karlos Williams

ORCHARD PARK, NY - JANUARY 03: Karlos Williams #29 of the Buffalo Bills runs against the New York Jets during the first half at Ralph Wilson Stadium on January 3, 2016 in Orchard Park, New York. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images) Getty Images

As a fifth-round draft pick last year, Bills running back Karlos Williams burst onto the scene with 517 rushing yards, a very impressive average of 5.6 yards a carry, and seven touchdowns. Ordinarily, a player with that kind of output as a rookie would feature prominently in a team’s future plans.

Instead, the Bills have cut Williams.

That comes as a surprise because Bills coach Rex Ryan said this month that the Bills wouldn’t give up on Williams.

But perhaps it shouldn’t come as a surprise: Williams is suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, and he reportedly showed up to training camp out of shape. And running back is a position where the Bills are loaded, with LeSean McCoy, Reggie Bush, Mike Gillislee, James Wilder Jr. and Jonathan Williams on the depth chart.

Williams is talented enough that some other team will surely give him a shot. He’d be wise to work harder in his new home than he has in Buffalo.

Dareus leaves Bills, intends to enter rehab facility

Marcel Dareus AP

Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus has left the team and intends to enter a rehab facility.

“After careful consideration of recent events within my life, I have made the decision to enter a rehabilitation facility,” Dareus said in a statement released by the team. “I feel this is the best decision for me, my family and my teammates as I move forward with my career. I appreciate the support of my teammates and the Bills organization through this process.”

Earlier this week the NFL announced a four-game suspension for Dareus for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. He served a one-game suspension to start the 2015 season related to a 2014 arrest for possession of a controlled substance.

Dareus was at the stadium with his teammates before Saturday’s Bills-Giants preseason game but left before the game began. The team released the statement from Dareus and a brief statement of its own not long after.

“We are fully supportive of Marcell and this decision to take the time he needs to seek treatment,” the team’s statement said.

Dareus, 26, is a two-time Pro Bowler entering his sixth season with the Bills.

Well, this should fix everything:

Around the NFL  

Chargers issue statement on Joey Bosa negotiation

The contract dispute between the San Diego Chargers and Joey Bosa continues with no end in sight. The Chargers now believe their first-round pick will not play a full 16-game slate in 2016.

The team issued a statement Wednesday regarding negotiations:

"Our contract discussions and offers to the representatives of Joey Bosa have been both fair and structurally consistent with the contracts of every other Chargers player," the team said in a statement.

Per the Chargers' release, the offer included:

Âŧ "An initial signing bonus payment that is larger than any player in the League has received in the last two drafts."

Âŧ "More money in this calendar year than every player in this year's draft except one (QB Carson Wentz)."

Âŧ "The largest payment and the highest percentage of signing bonus received in the first calendar year of any Chargers' first-round selection since the inception of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (2011)."

Bosa's representatives rejected the contract.

Chargers statement:

"The offer that we extended was for Joey to contribute during all 16 games and beyond," the team said. "Joey's ability to contribute for an entire rookie season has now been jeopardized by the valuable time he has missed with his coaches and his teammates. Since Joey will not report at this time, his ability to produce not just early in the season, but throughout the entire season, has been negatively impacted.

"As a result, we will restructure our offer since Joey will be unable to contribute for the full 16-game season without the adequate time on the practice field, in the classroom, and in preseason games"

NFL Media's Steve Wyche reported last month that the main issue between the club and Bosa is regarding how guarantees will be distributed. A source close to Bosa told Wyche at the time the pass rusher would like his bonuses all up front. The Chargers don't want to set a precedent in how they structure contracts.

Really. How do you F this up so bad in today's CBA with rookies.  Unreal...

Last edited by packerboi

For being idiots? Ya, that was set back in 2004 with Rivers.

Oh wait. There's more. Bosa's team fires back:

Far closer to the top of the statement appears the team’s characterization of various issues relevant to the negotiations. Each point appears below followed by Bosa’s counter-position, courtesy of a source with knowledge of both sides’ bargaining positions.

Point 1 from the Chargers: “An initial signing bonus payment that is larger than any player in the League has received in the last two drafts.”

Bosa’s take: He wouldn’t get the initial payment until September and multiple players over the past three years have been paid much more by this time than he would get. Some were even at 100 percent payout by now. This is why they limit the statement to the ‘initial portion’ and to 2 years.

Point 2 from the Chargers: “More money in this calendar year than every player in this year’s draft except one (QB Carson Wentz).”

Bosa’s take: Bosa should be getting more because he’s the third overall pick. The inclusion of No. 1 pick Jared Goff is misleading because he has a deal with no offsets on the guaranteed money. If the Chargers were to offer no offsets to Bosa, he’d accept the deferral.

Point 3 from the Chargers: “The largest payment and the highest percentage of signing bonus received in the first calendar year of any Chargers’ first-round selection since the inception of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (2011).”

Bosa’s take: He should receive the largest payment in Chargers’ history because he’s the highest pick they’ve had under the current system. Since 2011, they hadn’t even had a top-10 pick.

Other aspects of Bosa’s current position include the following: (1) his proposal calls for less cash to be paid out in 2016 than Carson Wentz’s deal at No. 2, as it should; (2) Bosa’s proposal deferred more money (measured by percentages and dollars) into 2017 than five of the top seven picks in 2016 who had offset language in their deals; (3) his proposal preserves the team’s precedent of offset language and final payment of the signing bonus in March 2017.

That last point is significant. Bosa has offered to defer a significant portion of the signing bonus to March 2017 in order to get the deal done. The team’s position is that it’s still not enough of a deferral.

Both sides effd this up. SD is in a tough spot. Season tickets aren't being sold. They were supposed to be gone after last year to LA. Didn't work out that way. They aren't a great landing spot. 

Bosa is playing with JPPs fireworks though. If he opts to sit out a year over offset language and re-enters the draft next year he's a huge red flags to GMs. Does he sit himself if he's a little banged up? How does anyone that loves the game take a year off over long term cents on the dollar? Bosa could drop like a rock in the 17 draft. He should. 

If Bosa does sit out and re-enters the draft next year SD watches a 2016 top 5 pick go elsewhere. Could you imagine getting no player with a top 5 selection. It's not like SD gets compensation for it. It's like they decided to not make a selection at all. 

I think Bosa has more to lose here. Win the battle lose the war stuff. 

ChilliJon posted:

Both sides effd this up.

SD eff'd this up more.

Negotiating through the media now Charger front office? Good luck getting anyone to come to S.D. after this debacle.

Bosa isn't asking for the moon here. He's made concessions to get the deal done but SD is trying to get him on the cheap. 

What's wrong Chargers? Don't trust your scouts & your selection? Then WHY did you draft him!?!?!

That's the thing.  SD should have known better. 

Bosa is a piece of work independent of this debacle.  Look at his character/history at O$U.   His dad pulled the same crap too. 

The hype machine was in full effect pre draft for this guy, but I think he has serious bust potential.   He's not the biggest or strongest or fastest guy and he's pretty one dimensional.  He played on a great D that helped his own matchups. 

Now he's acting like a spoiled brat.  Good luck Chargers and even better luck Joey.   Anyone comparing that guy to JJ Watt or even Jared Allen needs to have their head examined. 

If SD did anything wrong it's that they failed to gauge how signable Bosa was prior to the draft. Let's be honest, SD essentially had the first pick in the draft after Wentz, Goff. SD knew this for months. 

There's no disagreement over the contract and the bonus. That SD failed to understand Bosa would be prepared to sit out a year over offset language is pretty amazing. 

Bosa needs to realize he's never getting this money back though. Very risky game he's playing. I don't think he's getting  great direction from Ma and Pa Bosa either. 

I think Chili called it.  SD screwed this up, by not knowing what it would take to sign Bosa.  In most people's opinion's Bosa has incredible bust potential, which IMO is why he is holding so strong on the offset langauage.  He knows it, and so does everyone else.  I feel bad for SD, but they drafted this douche bag, now deal with it.  

I'm glad TT doesn't deal with losers like this.  

Bosa is not some kind of once in a generation talent which makes his position even more ridiculous.  He's done nothing to this point to command this type of one off approach and what we all know is the game will survive- as will the Chargers- with or without him. 

Veteran players are probably thinking WTF is with this guy?  Get ready for a reality check Joseph.  You better earn your keep because the rookie hazing and "I'm going to show 97" is going to be off the charts. 

Maybe he's getting advice from Willie Beamon 

Got him for a 5th round pick. Would you have wanted Ted to make that move?

Exactly 2 weeks after getting schooled by rookie Jason Spriggs, the Browns sent LB Barkavious Mingo to New England for next to nothing.

Browns trade Barkevious Mingo to Patriots

Indianapolis Colts v Cleveland Browns

For the second day in a row, the Patriots are involved in an unexpected trade.

The Browns have agreed to ship pass rusher Barkevious Mingo to New England, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Mingo was the sixth overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft, and at 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds he had the look of an excellent pass rushing outside linebacker. But through three NFL seasons he has been largely disappointing: He had five sacks as a rookie, two in 2014 and none last year.

The Patriots have been looking to bolster their pass rush since trading Chandler Jones to Arizona, especially after Rob Ninkovich suffered a triceps injury. While Mingo isn’t on the same level as Jones or Ninkovich, he may be able to add some depth to the Patriots’ front seven.

Bill Belichick doesn’t hesitate to make moves, having just traded center Bryan Stork to Washington yesterday. Now he makes another move, and hopes he can get more out of Mingo than the Browns did.

Agree this is a player position GB is so deep at, it would be hard to envision him landing on the 53. As much as I hate Bilicheat, the dude does his due diligence, I'll give him that.

As for the Browns, the factory of sadness continues. This was a very high pick that 3 years out for them at least, is yet another bust. It doesn't matter how many draft picks you collect if the ones you pick keep coming up turd/bust.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.