Skip to main content

Herschel posted:

Outside of Peppers, which of those guys has done anything? Mingo has more upside than any of them, so if TT had thrown a 5th for a spaghetti toss I'd have been fine with that. 

Well let's see....CM, Jones, Elliot, & Perry all did more than Mongo did last season....get at least one sack. Of course that was a significant drop-off from the previous season when he got two. 

In their infinite wisdom to make the game safer. The NFL changed the rule to spot the ball at the 25 on kickoff touch backs. The thinking was teams would take a knee to get the ball at the 25, returns would be reduced, kickoff injuries would drop significantly. They'd all pat themselves for being smart. It made perfect sense. 

Apparently they never considered teams would instruct kickers to launch mortar rounds to land around the three yard line and a suddenly compressed field between the coverage and return teams would lead to high speed car wrecks at the 17 on just about every kickoff. 

Someones going to get seriously effed up on a kickoff this year. 

Well done NFL. Once again you thought of everything. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

Ariens is headed for another ER visit soon.
Palmer looked like balls on that pick-6 play. Dirty hit by the Houston player, though. 
Speaking of, a Houston LB popped a WR or PR that was questionable. One angle of replay looks like it was as clean as a hit could be; the reverse angle looks like the guy took a shot to the helmet. They may be just a little too nasty for their own good.

He's still guaranteed 12 mil. Damn, not bad for a player who likely gets cut.

Report: 49ers likely to jettison Kaepernick, for football reasons

San Francisco 49ers quarterbacks Colin Kaepernick, left, and Blaine Gabbert stand on the sideline during the second half of an NFL preseason football game against the Green Bay Packers on Friday, Aug. 26, 2016, in Santa Clara, Calif. Green Bay won 21-10. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar) AP

Colin Kaepernick has suddenly become the most controversial player in the NFL because of his refusal to stand for the national anthem. But there may be another issue that could cost him his job in San Francisco: He’s not a very good quarterback.

Jay Glazer said on FOX that the 49ers are deeply concerned with Kaepernick’s decline as a player, which started last season when he struggled before getting benched, then got even worse this offseason when he lost significant muscle mass when he couldn’t work out following multiple surgeries.

“Regardless of politics or not, he has a very, very big uphill battle to make this team,” Glazer said. “I’d be shocked if he’s on the 49ers by the time this season ends. It has nothing to do with political views whatsoever. He lost a ton of weight this offseason, had three surgeries, couldn’t work out, lost that double threat, that size-speed ratio. No political views, he just hasn’t been effective. He’s regressing as a player. I’d be shocked if he’s on this roster by the end of this year. He may not be on it in the next two weeks.”

Kaepernick’s contract guarantees him an $11.9 million salary this season,and ordinarily a player with an $11.9 million guaranteed salary isn’t going to get cut. But if the 49ers really think Kaepernick has regressed to the point where they’d be better off with Blaine Gabbert starting and Christian Ponder and Jeff Driskel backing Gabbert up, then they can save a little money by cutting Kaepernick and hoping he signs with another team, as they would be able to reduce that $11.9 million by the amount of Kaepernick’s salary with a new team.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the 9ers part thinking some team is going to absorb that salary.

If Kaep is cut, the entire 49ers front office should be fired.  They could have traded Kaep to the Broncos for a 2nd or 3rd rounder (forgot which) as long as they picked up a few million of Kaep's salary this year ($5m at most, if I remember right).  If cut, they pay all $11.9m and get no draft pick.  That kind of stupidity shouldn't be part of an NFL front office.  

Sure another team COULD sign him, but based on his play recently I doubt he would command any kind of significant contract. No matter what happens the Niners are paying 10+ for Kaep. Wasn't his contract such that they could cut him him before the league year starts and owe him nothing? It seems as though the plan was to have a competition between Kaep/Gabbert from the beginning, so why would you pay 12 million to a QB that you already know has a 50/50 chance of starting? That's terrible. It's hilarious that Baalke mutinied and got McGloughlan fired, who now has Washington on the upswing, and then ran off Harbaugh who had a ton of success in SF and had an immediate impact at UMich. He's seemingly worked so hard to consolidate power that he's forgotten to actually run the team...

Oh FFS. A guy in the US of A changing his religion (if true) doesn't have ****-all to do with that individual's professional aspirations, per se. Even if it's a religion that is being demonized at present.

The individual makes his own choices and if he/she wants to blame any decisions on the religion it's a cop-out. Blame it on your interpretation of what the religion is demanding of you, but not on the religion.

Oh FFS. A guy in the US of A changing his religion (if true) doesn't have ****-all to do with that individual's professional aspirations, per se. Even if it's a religion that is being demonized at present.

Tim Tebow's in-your-face Christianity didn't prevent him from becoming the greatest QB of all time.

(It was his lack of ability to play a traditional NFL offense that did it.)

The 49ers have become the Detroit Lions of the NFCW since the Walsh/Montana/Young era. The Yorks and Baalke create perennial under-achievers who accumulate a number of high-pick drafts for a number of years, then go to the playoffs once, maybe twice, in a decade, then are wrecked all to hell within another couple of years. 
Yep, sounds like the Fords and Matt Millen (Super Genius) to me...

cuqui posted:

The individual makes his own choices and if he/she wants to blame any decisions on the religion it's a cop-out. Blame it on your interpretation of what the religion is demanding of you, but not on the religion.

Yeah but that doesn't fit the mindless narrative.

There is something messed up in SF for sure.   How many of their starters retired abruptly a couple of years ago?  Then they hire that mouthbreather as HC. 

I don't think I've seen such a turn of fortunes in a 2-3 year period as the Niners.   They are probably one of the 5 worst teams in football and under Harbaugh that was a legit SB contender. 

This ain't Detroit man! 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.