Skip to main content

• Thought it might be interesting to take a look at our NFCN foes' draft picks, and discuss what it may mean to us in the upcoming year.

Chitcago Bears:
  • Leonard Floyd OLB
  • Cody Whitehair OG
  • Jonathan Bullard DE
  • Nick Kwiatkoski ILB
  • Deon Bush S
  • Deiondre Hall CB
  • Jordan Howard RB
  • Deandre Houston-Carter S
  • Daniel Braverman WR 

Detoilet Loins:
  • Taylor Decker OT
  • A'Shawn Robinson DT
  • Graham Glasgow C
  • Miles Killebrew S
  • Joe Dahl OT
  • Antwione Williams OLB
  • Jake Rudock QB
  • Anthony Zettel DE
  • Jimmy Landes LS
  • Dwayne Washington RB

Minnesota Vikings:
  • Laquon Treadwell WR
  • Mackensie Alexander CB
  • Willie Beavers OG
  • Kentrell Brothers ILB
  • Moritz Boehringer WR
  • David Morgan WR
  • Stephen Weatherly OLB
  • Jayrone Kearse S

The Bears had a fairly solid draft, and it's easy to see that Fangio is trying to build a defense. They may be trying to solidify their rush defense first, unless Floyd and Bullard provide any pass rush. They still need plenty of help on offense, but have to be closest to the most complete (believe it or not) having Jay Cutler. Stafford is old(er), and breaking down, and Bridgewater...
It wouldn't surprise me if the Bears are our strongest competition this year.

The Loins likewise had a fairly solid draft. I think they added some good players at key positions, and their picks were balanced to both offense and defense.
This draft may be more beneficial to them in the long run as opposed to paying immediate dividends, but their offense is bound to be a mess.

The Vikings...in a draft generally regarded as being rich in OL/DL players, they chose plenty of WRs. Go figure.
Beavers may be a good pick, and Brothers may be a solid LB, but I have no idea why they drafted all these WRs with their current QB. They have another-year-older AP, of course, but will these young guys be content with blocking more than catching? Or what happens if AP goes out from injury?

Last edited by Timmy!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I watched an ESPN special on the draft last night, it was interesting.  Panel was Herm, Jaws, Kiper and McShay.  All agreed that the bears had the best draft followed by Pack then Vikes and Lions. 

It really got interesting when the question was posed well what does this mean heading into the year.  Kiper " The packers are still the best team and will run away from the Vikes this year "  The other 3 all laughed and said that the Vikes will give us trouble, the bears and lions will be better but fade down the stretch".  Kiper responded with something like why do you believe in Vike so much.  McShay answered well now Teddy B has some weapons on the outside to get the ball down the field.  And Kiper basically laughed in his face (I got the impression he feels Teddy can't get the ball down the field to begin with).

I am puzzled at how the Minny fans are lauding the choice of Treadwell for his ability to get down the field and open things up for Teddy. They had Wallace, a speedster, last year who was supposed to open the field and give Teddy his downfield target. The problem is that no matter which receiver it is, Teddy can't get the ball down the field. Diggs is perfect for their offense and Teddy's arm, and plays the Cris Carter possession role. Treadwell just seems like a bigger Diggs. The rest of their draft is meh...

Treadwell has a lot of great traits, but surprisingly his biggest flaw isn't speed, it's that he's not very physical with CBs. He's a small WR in a 6'2"/220 lb. body. When he's open he catches the ball well and is strong after the catch, but I think he struggles to get open too often for how hyped he is. Maybe he will get better with NFL coaching, but I don't see Sam Shields or Damarious Randall having trouble covering him. 

I will say for Minnesota, choosing Stephen Weatherly when they did was great. He might end up being one of the top players from this draft when it's all said and done, he's a strong athlete who could be really good with the right coaching. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

Treadwell wasn't drafted as a deep threat.  His deal is getting separation off the snap, working the middle and winning 50/50 balls.  A Q without an arm needs at least 1 guy like that. 

But sooner or later, if not already happening, defenses will just sit on the short and middle stuff like they did with us.  We didn't seem to have anyone that could get open in that crowded middle - we'll see if Treadwater can.

Agree the bears had a hell of a draft. I'm not high on Floyd but really liked their next three picks. Whitehair and Bullard fit really well on that team. 

I'm not high on Treadwell either.  He reminds me of Michael crabtree: supposedly a big, strong possession receiver but really isn't that big or strong.  Probably drafted higher than he should bc he physically dominated inferior CB's. Won't happen in the NFL. Alexander was a great pick but I do not like Beavers. 

Didn't like the Lions draft. Decker does nothing to fix their pass pro problems. Robinson is a solid pick in the second. Not much else I can comment on

Fandame posted:

I am puzzled at how the Minny fans are lauding the choice of Treadwell for his ability to get down the field and open things up for Teddy. They had Wallace, a speedster, last year who was supposed to open the field and give Teddy his downfield target. The problem is that no matter which receiver it is, Teddy can't get the ball down the field. Diggs is perfect for their offense and Teddy's arm, and plays the Cris Carter possession role. Treadwell just seems like a bigger Diggs. The rest of their draft is meh...

Diggs is actually really speedy and explosive. A little small, but great draft pick. If he isn't catching the ball deep, you know exactly why...Pondwater. Treadwell won't get separation from NFL CBs.

Last edited by Goalline

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.