Skip to main content

Brak posted:
cuqui posted:

I'm back home up nort and fighting with the crappy wifi, but have to say this is one of the biggest cluster****s ever.

If you're in Vilas County right now, just stop.

Stop it.

Stop right now.

Nothing can be wrong.  Ride the bike.  Fish.  Get to the A-1.  Fish some more.  Chase a loon.  While fishing.

Stare at the fire.

Tell two stories.  One has to be mostly true.

Hug your loved ones.

Watch out for Indians and black flies.  But mostly Indians.

Been out for two weeks now.  Cannot wait until next year.

Jesus.  I love it up there so much.  So very much.

The old homestead is in Oneida County about 2 miles from Vilas.

Spent last night in Vilas getting torqued with some high school buddies. 

Everything you've said is so true. No better place in the world to grow up, thank you Mom and Dad!

Last edited by ilcuqui

Photo gallery : pckrs.com/7xzz

All photos by @evansiegle

I like Perry and Matthews reuniting with Green in the back ground

If you're #46 RB Brandon Ross  how do you not eavesdrop the conversation on your right?  All the backup QB's are hanging together.  Didn't know Williams was that big.

Kevin Green and Dom Capers

Capers and Greene

Last edited by titmfatied

I'm pretty sure the HoF is not part of the NFL. It's more like a tourist attraction dreamed up by the Canton chamber of commerce. Seriously, Canton's significance to pro football is no greater than dozens of other towns who couldn't compete when it became "big" business back in the 1930s.

It's not like the science of painting a plastic field is some arcane art. Most large high schools have that amount of expertise. Don't use solvent based paint. Doesn't take a genius.

I guess they forgot to test it on an inconspicuous part of the field.

The NFL is a billion dollar business run by billion dollar businessmen.  They have all the connections and experience to make the Hall of Fame game proceed seamlessly.  What they're showing is they don't really care about this extra, nearly meaningless game.  Hopefully they get rid of it next year.
I

I'd like Saturday to be the Pro Football Hall of Fame inductions and then Sunday  be individual teams Hall of Fame inductions in their own stadium followed by family night practice or scrimmage.  Have the team hall of famers give speeches in front of the all home crowds, bring back the great players from the past and get everyone excited for the season ahead.  I'd love to see Nick Collins get to give a speech in Lambeau.  

I think that's technically accurate, but there are a number of NFL owners on the board trustees of the Hall of Fame.  So while it's not technically the NFL, it's really hard to separate this and say it's an HOF issue and not an NFL issue.  

NFL blew it.  Very hard to believe how a league this big can't get the right paint on a field.  

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it but isn't this the 3rd time the Packers had the HOF game suspended or cancelled?  I think back in the late 70's maybe they had one rained out (78 or 79 maybe) then there was the one against the Chiefs in the early 2000's that was rained out.  I was there for that one I have never been wetter in my entire life.  One bolt of lightening came down and it must have rained 6 inches of rain in a half hour.

ha!  decided to go see Willie Nelson last nite instead of watching the game.  I chose wisely!  had to laugh when I found out what happened at the bar after the show.  Willie's amazing, what a man!  NFL/HOF?  not so much.

Herschel posted:

Does anyone know where Aaron Rodgers was? I heard there were a bunch of empty propane tanks found in his locker. 

...barbecuing in the parking lot with Olivia ??  ...must have been some tailgate party using all those tanks!

packerboi posted:

Word. 2 preseason games. That's it. Unfortunately $$ speaks too much 

I think they might finally be inching that way. Most teams have the scaled pricing in place now which is just slowly conditioning fans to absorb the hit of a ten-game price tag over eight games.

God knows they'll try to make an 18-game regular season happen by any means possible, but I think the player's union might be pretty firm on that. If we can just get to 2 ps games, and an 18-week regular season with an extra bye week before every team's TNF game, they might finally have it figured out.

IL_Pack_Fan posted:
packerboi posted:

Word. 2 preseason games. That's it. Unfortunately $$ speaks too much 

I think they might finally be inching that way. Most teams have the scaled pricing in place now which is just slowly conditioning fans to absorb the hit of a ten-game price tag over eight games.

God knows they'll try to make an 18-game regular season happen by any means possible, but I think the player's union might be pretty firm on that. If we can just get to 2 ps games, and an 18-week regular season with an extra bye week before every team's TNF game, they might finally have it figured out.

I could live with that...is that the proposal?

Haha. I haven't heard that the league is seriously considering this, but it has come up in occasional "thinkpieces" where columnists attempt to fix the situation. The idea is that having a full extra week of TV broadcasts could help offset some of the TV/ticket/beer losses with the shortened preseason without adding an extra game. Extra bye helps with "player safety" and tying it to the TNF games just helps alleviate the biggest gripe with those. 

I know there would be some logistical headaches, but we're not talking something as complicated as buying paint here.

I  like it!     2 PS games only;  keep the 16 game Season;  with 2 byes. 

Start the season Labor Day weekend and I think the calendar would stay the same.  Agree:  Better for player safety /healing with the 2 byes.

Pre-season would still be 5 weeks of games/practices:  No games Week #1-2;  Games Week #3-4;  Bye Week #5.  Final Rosters would have an extra week to be sorted out before Game #1.

Herschel posted:

They did a double-bye season a number of years ago and I have to admit, I was good with it then but it would be better now if one has Sunday Ticket.

Huh, never knew about this. Just looked it up.

"The 1993 NFL season was the 74th regular season of the National Football League. It was the only season in league history where all NFL teams played their 16-game schedule over a span of 18 weeks. After the success of expanding the regular season to a period of 17 weeks in 1990, the league hoped this new schedule would generate even more revenue. However, teams felt that having two weeks off during the regular season was too disruptive for their weekly routines, and thus it reverted to 17 weeks immediately after the season ended."

"I think that's technically accurate, but there are a number of NFL owners on the board trustees of the Hall of Fame.  So while it's not technically the NFL, it's really hard to separate this and say it's an HOF issue and not an NFL issue.  

NFL blew it.  Very hard to believe how a league this big can't get the right paint on a field.  "

I agree that the association is a willing one but the HoF, being non-profit, would be a money drain on the NFL. There's no way the league  gets involved in operations. The NFL itself doesn't run stadiums anyway. This goof is completely on the Canton School district, who owns/operates the stadium.  If the NFL was an invested partner, the HoF wouldn't be in Canton.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.