Skip to main content

Tschmack posted:

Kevin King would not have made any difference in that game 

We had 3 open holes at CB 

tough to draft or plan for that 

Yet Dom played our schit CB single coverage and no pass rush to speak of 

The quick release Matt Ryan was throwing with and how open the receivers were, I don't think TJ Watt or any other pass rusher would have made a difference. Again, we had a good pass rush last season and ultimately it was CB play that ruined our SB chances. If you want to compete for a SB you better have at least 1 elite player at CB, if Sam Shields had stayed healthy I think we would have been much more competitive in that game and probably would have won. 

Herschel posted:
Grave Digger posted:

I don't think it's like that all. We have two starters at OLB and we had an open hole at CB. If anything drafting another OLB would be the jet ski in your analogy. That would be a luxury pick, CB had a glaring hole, a more glaring hole than depth at OLB. Pass rush is a key component, but even a really good rush is negated by glaring weaknesses at CB...just ask the 2016 Packers who were 4th in sacks and trying to cover Julio Jones with a 2nd year UDFA.

No real qualms with King, they needed a 6'+, rangy  corner also, but Jones really seems like a luxury pick, as does the Jerel Adams flier when OLB is also so thin. Bringing in House was a good move to add some depth to a struggling position,  adding two guys where needed, but Fackrell is still really raw and Elliott appears to be another Vic So'oto, etc. If the Packers had two durable guys starting it would be a different gamble.

who's this Jerel Adams you keep harping on and what does he have to do with the Packers?

Jerell Adams is TE for the NYG.

Herschel posted:
Fandame posted:

All this angst over TJ, a guy who isn't even on the GB roster. Geez, I wish the season would start so we could complain about something else.

Would it make you feel better if it was Tak McKinley? Had Atlanta taken Watt instead then the name changes but the need doesn't. That's not to say Watt was the only answer, just the first/easiest/most obvious one.

No, just that all rookies are basically crapshoots until proven otherwise in real games. TJ has been great in preseason, but it's preseason. If he's still tearing it up at the end of the year and King is so-so or a bust, then let the whining begin. Until then, keep it all in perspective and see how it plays out. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.