Skip to main content

Back to the draft...

Could the Brewers be looking to save money on Hiura?  They drafted a boatload of HS players in the teens and some projectable and semi-costly talent in Lutz and also a few of the arms 4-9.

I imagine they had an underslot deal discussed with Hiura.. but similar to Dylan Covey they could theoretically offer him 75% of the slot, and if he rejected it.. they could get a comp pick right around pick 9 next year in a better draft.  They could use that 25% savings on slot to sign some of those more projectable arms later.. and then recoup the 1st around 9th pick next year (if Hiura refused to sign).  It would be gaming the system I guess, but with his injury status.. I think they should go as far underslot as they can while still qualifying for compensation if he chose not to sign.  I love the idea of his bat, but having that partial tear in the elbow is concerning, and he better come underslot and significantly.

Signed Kiura underslot at 4M - saving 500k+.  Not bad, thought they could have saved a little more to get some of those HS arms in the teens signed.  Hopefully they can get one or two of those.  I think the rest of the top 10 signs, i know one of them was just a spot filler that they offered 10k to, i think it was the 10th pick.

Lutz and KJ Harrison will be interesting to see where they sign at $ wise.

The inability to develop pitching over almost 50 years is mind boggling. After 48 seasons, here are the all time leaders for wins by a pitcher. And it's not like any of these guys won a ton of games pitching for other teams either. Higuera and Caldwell were true #1 starting pitchers in their primes and Ben Sheets was screwed pitching for some very bad teams (in 2004 he went 12-14 despite having a WHIP of 0.98 and leading the league in SO/BB ratio at almost 9).

1.Jim Slaton117
2.Mike Caldwell102
3.Teddy Higuera94
4.Moose Haas91
5.Yovani Gallardo89
6.Ben Sheets86
7.Bill Wegman81
8.Chris Bosio67
9.Bill Travers65
10.Cal Eldred64

The historical lack of starting pitching for the Brewers is even more remarkable from the fact that as far as I can tell (unless I'm forgetting someone who did an end of career cameo), they only had one starting pitcher in their history who is in the Hall of Fame. Here's a list of the top starting pitchers for wins in MLB history.

Sutton 324 wins (14th all time) 26 wins in Milwaukee HOF

Sabathia 230 wins (65th all time) 11 wins in Milwaukee - likely HOF

Greinke 164 wins (208th all time) 25 wins in Milwaukee

Longborg 157 wins (235th all time) 14 wins in Milwaukee

Slaton 151 wins (250th all time) 117 wins in Milwaukee

Candiotti 151 wins (250th) 6 wins in Milwaukee

Think about that, the Brewers had 2 pitchers in their history that are in the top 200 all time in MLB history for wins. None in the top 250 in history that won more than 26 games total for them. Even the guy in the HOF (Sutton) was never a dominating pitcher, he was just a guy that was very good that pitched for a long time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.