Skip to main content

Figured we would do a master moves thread since teams are already cutting players and free agency is less then 4 weeks away.

Cut by the Giants:

Feb 14

Victor Cruz: 'I think I have a lot of good football left ahead of me'

Feb 13

Giants settling all family business today. They will not be re-signing TE Larry Donnell. He'll be a free agent.

Feb 14 

Ex- CB K'Waun Williams, now fully cleared by Dr. Anderson, is a rare February FA. Visits the today, then , source said.

Last edited by packerboi
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OLB Melvin Ingram is likely not to be re-signed by the Bolts. New DC Gus Bradley's 4-3 system isn't a fit for Ingram and reports are he will be allowed to go to FA.

Ingram vs Perry is IMO an interesting proposition for the Packers. Ingram's produced 18.5 sacks in the last 2 seasons, like Perry has had some health issues, but the last 2 seasons he's been healthy.

I know better then to think TT will even look Ingram's way, but if the Packers are going to put out money to either re-sign Perry or replace him, he'd been an interesting FA and would give Capers a legit pass rusher opposite CMIII.

I like Ingram, but I guess it's whether they're going to stick with the 4-2/2-4 "base" defense. Maybe it's the powder blue, but Ingram looks a bit smaller than Perry and they may want to stick with bigger edge guys. That could mean a Taco Charlton over a Takkarist McKinley, for example, if they draft one in the first. 

I hope the Texans franchise Bouye.  If that happens I don't see any way they will be able to keep Jonathan Joseph on the roster.  Joseph isn't a world-beater anymore.  He's getting older (will be 33 before next season begins) and his performance could suffer a pretty dramatic falloff any season now.  He also had some nagging injury problems that kept him out of three games last year (ribs).  He had missed a total of 4 games over the previous 5 seasons.  But he was still a solid player last year.  Probably would put him somewhere between "good" and "above-average."  His age limits his earning potential on the market.  If he is cut he won't figure in the compensatory selection formula.  If this all happens it would make him a very low risk investment for a veteran player who was better than any of the Packer cornerbacks last season.

One concern is that Joseph still good enough where it would be completely reasonable for another team to trade a late round pick to acquire him.  I wouldn't mind it if that team was the Packers, although it's unlikely Thompson would do that.

Last edited by PackerJoe

Another possibility is Kayvon Webster.  He's on the Broncos now and has shown a lot of talent.  Problem is he's sitting behind Talib, Harris and Roby, so he's not cracking the Broncos lineup any time soon.  He's only 26 and should come failry cheap, since he hasn't played much.  Broncos really want him back but reports are he wants to go somewhere and play.  Just another option in case TT doesn't want to spend on the big name CBs (Bouye, T Johnson or Gilmore). 

PackerJoe posted:

Joseph isn't a world-beater anymore.  He's getting older (will be 33 before next season begins) and his performance could suffer a pretty dramatic falloff any season now. 

We need that.

if there was a year or three in which to be slightly more flexible with the draft and develop only philosophy (which I totally agree with and buy in to) then it's here. Can we adopt the framework that the Patriots have?  As far as winning in the last 10 years... It's the Patriots, big drop and then the Packers and then everybody else. So we know what we're doing works but it looks unarguably like the Pats' version is more effective.  I think that would mean getting the FAs you need to fill the gaps while you're developing the draftees.  Probably some better Defense too.

4 time pro bowler now on the market. Jets save 10 mil from their cap:

Jets have notified Ryan Clady's agent @_SportsTrust that they aren't exercising option for 2017. Clady a free agent. This will be the first of a few significant salary dumps by the Jets, who are trying to get younger. The problem is, there's no heir apparent at left tackle and the free-agent market is thin. They are trying to re-sign LT Ben Ijalana, a pending free agent.
Last edited by packerboi
GBFanForLife posted:

Benched in Jacksonville and the Packers will sign him? Time to find a different Realtor, that isn't the House you want.

I see what you did there.

from pft:

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis has been charged with four felonies after an incident last weekend on Pittsburgh’s South Side.

Revis has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault, one count of robbery and one count of conspiracy, per multiple reports. He’s also been charged with making terroristic threats, a misdemeanor.
-----------------------------------------

the only reason I posted this was for the "making terroristic threats" nonsense.  give me a break.  what country did he threaten with terrorism while having a street brawl?  only in the bedwetting usa.

Tdog posted:

from pft:

the only reason I posted this was for the "making terroristic threats" nonsense.  give me a break.  what country did he threaten with terrorism while having a street brawl?  only in the bedwetting usa.

Was thinking the same thing, but this article breaks it down pretty well (based on facts known right now).  Per SI:

A charge of terroristic threats is also serious, with a potential five-year prison sentence under Pennsylvania law. A terroristic threat is not synonymous with a “terrorist” threat. A terroristic threat is instead a threat to harm another person with the goal of terrorizing that individual. While the charges have not yet been explained by law enforcement, Revis is presumably accused of threatening the two men with harm in hopes of terrorizing them.

So that makes more sense, and is likely worse for Revis.  Sounds like a bad situation he put himself in.  Crazy that a 10+ year veteran would still react like this to people recording him.  Can't be the first time he's encountered this type of situation.  

CUPackFan posted:
Tdog posted:

from pft:

So that makes more sense, and is likely worse for Revis.  

You mean we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions without understanding the whole picture?

I think two young guys are about to get a big payday in a civil suit against Revis. Revis will plea bargain to something and is unlikely to do jail time, but Goodell will suspend him a few games for this. 

CUPackFan posted:

PFF's Top 10 CBs in free agency

TT has plenty to choose from if he wants to fix the CB position.  

I think TT will choose to roll with Randall and Rollins and expect that the defensive staff will coach them up and that Randall's crapping the bed last year was mostly due to injuries (Davante Adams circa 2015). I think it will Randall, Rollins, Gunther, and a pick in the first 3 rounds. Look at how bad the receivers were in 2015 after Nelson and Monty went down and they brought back almost the entire same group and gambled that Jordy and Monty would be healthy. Randall and Rollins are high draft picks. TT is not going to abandon his philosophy of sticking with his draft picks for the first 4 years because of one bad year at CB. Hyde will get similar money to what Hayward got and I'll bet TT won't outbid anyone on him. 

Having said that, I'd love to see a couple of mid-level CBs signed just for competition and professionalism, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

Last edited by MichiganPacker2
CUPackFan posted:

Was thinking the same thing, but this article breaks it down pretty well (based on facts known right now).  Per SI:

A charge of terroristic threats is also serious, with a potential five-year prison sentence under Pennsylvania law. A terroristic threat is not synonymous with a “terrorist” threat. A terroristic threat is instead a threat to harm another person with the goal of terrorizing that individual. While the charges have not yet been explained by law enforcement, Revis is presumably accused of threatening the two men with harm in hopes of terrorizing them.

So that makes more sense, and is likely worse for Revis.  Sounds like a bad situation he put himself in.  Crazy that a 10+ year veteran would still react like this to people recording him.  Can't be the first time he's encountered this type of situation.  

I was being over the top.  But it's still the ridiculousness of our multiple offenses for a single offense legal system today.  Like when someone gets busted with pot so they get a charge for possession, a charge for possession of drug paraphernalia, a charge for intent to distribute if they happen to more than a certain amount, etc.

How many types of threats are there according to the legal system?  If I threaten someone I damn well intend it to scare them.  Why else do you threaten someone?  Is scaring better than terrorizing?  It's all BS.

But since Pennsylvania is a "stand your ground" state, Revis would have been within his rights and not charged with anything, most likely, if he had pulled a gun and shot both of them dead.  Dead men tell no tales, after all.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.