Skip to main content

packerboi posted:

Verner wasn't worth his salary in TB, but can still play. Moves pretty well and looks comfortable in zone. Kind of vet Belichick would lik

Considering the hodge podge of talents in the secondary not sure if this is a benefit.  

packerboi posted:

Considering what GB has at LB, Klein is intriguing. And likely would come at Teds price range/tier of FA he'd typically kick the tires on 

I am actually interested to see how this LB group improves, we have the makings of a pretty good group for a 43 defense...Martinez at ILB, Ryan at Sam, Thomas at Will. Get Lovie Smith in as DC and we're all set!

In all seriousness though Jake Ryan took big steps from year 1 to year 2, so I'm curious to see how Martinez improves and see where Ryan goes in year 3. I think Martinez hit the rookie wall, he seemed to fade as the season went on, but there is talent there. 

13h13 hours agoBucs have released veteran CB Alterraun Verner. The 28-year-old was really good in 2014, not very good past 2 seasons.

10h10 hour

Verner wasn't worth his salary in TB, but can still play. Moves pretty well and looks comfortable in zone. Kind of vet Belichick would like

10h10 hour

Just watched 1 of CB Alterraun Verner's 3 starts (vs. ATL). Wasn't bad. At right price, type of vet well worth bringing to camp to compete.

This is classic Rodney crapola . Verner is a horrible fit for GB, he's a Cover-2 zone CB that got dumped by two teams for sucking.  He has no role in the Packers defense, he's old and has no upside

But now Rodney sets it up so he can piss and moan when Ted doesn't bring in this loser. PackersNotes has become one big bucket of stale piss  and that's a damn shame, he used to have something to offer.  Now he just panders to the pitchfork crew.

Grave Digger posted:

Tell me how you really feel!

Also I agree with everything you said. 

Hey Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne, Verner's best season came under Ray Horton in Tennessee, who learned under Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh. He excelled in a similar system to the one used by the Packers. But why let facts get in the way of ignorance?

It's equally fair to point out Verners best year was his contract year. His other six seasons have been very pedestrian in comparison. It's also worth mentioning TN opted to lock up McCourty and let Verner walk in 14. 

Unless of course we're starting an "it's the plays not the player" conversation. Could be a fun conversation. 

Verner last excelled in 2013. What happened after that is he lost a step and he can only play as a zone CB these days. His play declined in 2014, 15 and 16 and that' why he's currently available.

The nice people at Rotoworld put together a lovely chart for the dumfukkistan refugees like Heyward. He hasn't even been average  for 3 full seasons

http://www.rotoworld.com/playe...895/alterraun-verner

"Verner played his first four seasons in Tennessee, earning an All-Pro selection during his breakout 2013 campaign. The 28-year-old looked washed up in Tampa Bay and will probably have to settle for a backup gig"

DCs try to hide chumps like this in a cover- 2 where they always  have safety help and when that fails, they dump em. 

Anything else you'd like to chat about Heyward ?  

Last edited by Satori
heyward posted:
Grave Digger posted:

Tell me how you really feel!

Also I agree with everything you said. 

Hey Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne, Verner's best season came under Ray Horton in Tennessee, who learned under Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh. He excelled in a similar system to the one used by the Packers. But why let facts get in the way of ignorance?

What's hilarious is that Ray Horton wasn't even in Tennessee while Verner was there. His DCs were Chuck Cecil and Jerry Gray, who spent time working for 4-3 defense guru Greg Williams in Buffalo (who prefers zone corners) and for Joe Gibbs (who runs a 4-3). Verner was brought to Tampa by Lovie Smith who has historically always preferred a certain kind of corner, Hayward can you tell me what kind of corner he prefers? Sorry I'm showing off my preference for ignorance over facts again...

Last edited by Grave Digger

If the Packers make any moves this offseason, Pro Football Focus thinks it could be at cornerback. The analytics website, in a piece for ESPN InsiderInsider, picked one free agent for every team. For the Packers, it was Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson would be a welcome addition to a Packers secondary that struggled last season. AP Photo/Stephen Brashear

The Packers still have high hopes for the trio of Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins and LaDarius Gunter -- who all played extensively last season as second-year pros -- but they would be taking a big chance if they didn’t make a significant addition at a position that struggled mightily last season.

Johnson would offer the Packers a tall cornerback (he’s 6-foot-2) who could help offset the loss of Sam Shields, who was released this month after he missed all but one game last season because of a concussion.

Johnson, a former third-round pick of the Rams, played last season under the franchise tag of $13.952 million. If the Rams tagged him again, it would cost nearly $17 million. The website Spotrac estimated that Johnson’s market value would be $12.4 million per season.

In 2016, Johnson had just one interception in 14 games. In the same number of games in 2015, he picked off seven passes.

PFF had another possible free agent cornerback target, A.J. Bouye of the Texans, going to Carolina. His market value was estimated at more than $11 million per season.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflna...gh-priced-cornerback

And a former 1st round safety from FloriDUH is now available:

Why do I feel like he'll be a Patriot...

After arrest, Ravens say they’re done with Matt Elam

Matt Elam AP

Technically, Matt Elam is still a Baltimore Raven. But in 11 days, he won’t be.

Elam, who was arrested on drug charges early this morning in Miami, becomes a free agent on March 9. And the Ravens issued a statement following his arrest making clear that they will not re-sign him.

“We are aware of the arrest of Matt Elam. Matt is not in our plans for the 2017 Ravens,” the statement says.

This morning’s arrest may be the reason the Ravens released that statement, but it’s far from the only reason the Ravens are finished with Elam. Their 2013 first-round draft pick, Elam has been a major disappointment. The team didn’t pick up his fifth-year option and probably wouldn’t have re-signed him at any price even if he had no off-field issues.

Elam might be able to sign on with some team if he’s willing to take a minimum-salary deal. But it’s possible that he has played his last game, thanks to problems both on the field and off.

Last edited by packerboi

And the Franchise Tag on Bell makes sense too, in a lot of ways. It's expensive, but he's the best back in the league right now and it's a guaranteed "prove it" deal without another team stepping in and giving stupid money and messing up the offensive core. 

The Cryboys took a gamble. And stakes just got higher. No player has ever played with this. :
2h
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet
With #Cowboys LB Jaylon Smith’s nerve not firing, he’ll have to play in a game with a brace for drop foot. Would likely be the 1st to do it

packerboi posted:

The Cryboys took a gamble. And stakes just got higher. No player has ever played with this. :
2h
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet
With #Cowboys LB Jaylon Smith’s nerve not firing, he’ll have to play in a game with a brace for drop foot. Would likely be the 1st to do it

This is why no one should ever criticize players like Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette for sitting out bowl games.

Bummer for Smith.

ProFootballDoc:

"Peroneal nerve palsy cuts down LB effectiveness. Average player would be out of NFL. Perhaps a special athlete like Jaylon Smith can play."

Jerruh took a chance Smith would be special, now we know he won't be.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.