Skip to main content

MichiganPacker posted:
Goalline posted:

Didn't they learn anything with Moss?

Yes. That they could take a character risk and make him behave for 3 years and catch more TD passes over a 3 year period than any player in history (47) playing one year with Matt Cassel as his QB. It took a miracle catch on top of a helmet for them not to finish 19-0 in Moss' first year. If Brady doesn't miss the whole season the following year, they are probably back in the Super Bowl again. As it was, the Patriots went 10-6 with Matt Cassel and caught more than half the TD passes Cassel threw that year (11 of 21). In other words, just like he did for Randall Cunningham and Culpepper, playing with Moss made Cassel a lot of money by making him look a lot better than he was.

And then, they learned that once they got 3 great years out of him, then they could trade him to the Vikings for a  3rd round pick once his act started to wear thin.

That said, there is a huge difference between Moss and AP. Moss, just like AP, is an entitled diva. However, Moss was a very smart football player (Belichick is on record saying this) and probably the most athletic WR ever. AP has the athletic part, but not the football IQ.

ZERO TITLES!!!!!

I think Romo inks a deal with CBS by the end of today if it's not done already. He replaces Simms (for this alone we are all winners!). It's also important to remember Tony is ****ing insane about golf. He is a borderline psyhco about the sport. Like trying to qualify for the US Open each year insane. 

Don't think for one second spending time with Jim Nance bringing you the Masters and PGA Championship every spring and fall on CBS isn't a huge bargaining chip for CBS. I can already see Jim Nance welcoming Tony to the CBS team in a quick cameo at Augusta this weekend. You think CBS would like the former starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys on their golf telecasts?

There seems to be a fair degree of internet concern that CBS can't simply replace Phil Simms with someone that literally has zero broadcast experience. 

I submit the following two pieces of evidence that I think illustrate CBS is probably going to be just fine:

&

This is truly a glorious day!

El-Ka-Bong posted:

I like Romo.  Seems like a good guy.  I can't root for the Cowboys, but I can root for Romo.  

A Wisconsin boy who grew up supporting the Donkeys and John "The Nag" Elway? **** him!

BTW, I raised one of those. My oldest is an Eagles fan. The other two are normal. Should I disown my oldest? I am so "meh" about the Eagles.

The Ravens and Eagles make a trade, Baltimore moving some of their surplus defensive line talent, Timmy Jernigan, to move up 25 spots. Ozzie apparently likes being able to trade compensatory picks and the Eagles get to keep their hometown draft fans engaged until the end of the day while also getting a 24-year-old, starting defensive tackle. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/n...-spots-in-nfl-draft/

(The Ravens) have four of the first 78 picks (16, 47, 74 and 78).

Last edited by Herschel

My guess is Ozzie wants a possession wideout, a nickel back, a big RB and  a backup at safety in the first few rounds. A committee of Taliaferro, West and Woodhead is workable, but Lorenzo seems to be dinged up quite a bit.

Boris posted:
Goalline posted:

Ozzie making a move? Bad news for the other teams.

Any idea who Ozzie is targeting?

Me? No. I really don't follow the draft much anymore. I'm becoming lazy in my old age.

Or maybe he wanted the pick to get Green Bay's #29. #47 and #74 is almost exactly the same as #29 on the draft trade value chart (650 vs. 640) and he'd still have his 3rd in a deep draft.

Last edited by Herschel

Just read that the Saints have signed Adrian Peterson and the Patriots picked up RB Mike Gillislee from the Bills.

Edit: Still haven't seen anything official on the Saints-Peterson deal. Sporting News article was using a, "click bait" title saying it was a done deal..  

Last edited by Maxi54

AP is going to play home games in the stadium he almost (I said almost!) single handedly killed the Vikings 2009 season. That'll sit well with the zealots. 

By the way. Minny opens the 2017 season in New Orleans. 

ChilliJon posted:

AP is going to play home games in the stadium he almost (I said almost!) single handedly killed the Vikings 2009 season. That'll sit well with the zealots. 

By the way. Minny opens the 2017 season in New Orleans. 

The game is at Minny

What a ridiculous signing.  Does Payton hate Mark Ingram or something?  I'm not 100% on the Ingram bandwagon but he's easily a top 15 RB in the league.  1,000 yards with 5.0 ypc.  And is AP going to be ok sharing carries, or does he become a distraction playing behind a clearly better player?  Just dumb, I don't get this signing at all.  

Peterson right now is closer to Fumbelina than greatness. And with Peterson's me-first attitude, he's got to be thinking he's the No. 1 guy. I don't get the signing, especially as NO plays on turf so chances are even greater that Peterson gets injured. 

I must be in the minority.  Although the Pats took a serious look at him, so Belichick likely had the same thought.  

AP is an amazing athlete, and he was very good in 2015.  If he fits into a team's scheme - that excludes the Packers - I think AP is worth a gamble at the right price.  I'm not convinced he is a good fit for NO, and I don't think it's a good idea for him to play on turf again.  But $7M for two years is not a terrible contract amount.  He came cheaper than Lacy.  

At the very least, it will be interesting to watch.  

Last edited by Lambeau Lobo

Ed Werder tweeted that the Saints RBs averaged 7.0 yards per reception last season (lowest since 2010) and 6.2 yards after catch per reception (lowest since 2008).

Peterson will help that?

One of the AP highlight clips I saw today looks to be from about 5 years ago. MD Jennings, Tramon, and Casey on the field? Yes Saints fan, this is the same player today.

Big big question on AP though: how is he going to handle being a #2 or at best, #1b?  At no point in his life has he been anything other than the unquestioned #1 ball carrier, even the #1 player on the team.  Further, he's never been asked to "fit" into an offense - he's been the unquestioned focal point with the other 10 guys "fitting" around him.  Say he gets 10 carries a game out of shotgun going for 10 yards, does he complain that the scheme and play calls aren't working?  What if Payton rolls with the hot hand in Ingram and gets 20+ carries to AP's 3 and they lose?  More complaining?  And what if Brees starts audibling out of runs with AP out there?  

I don't know, AP just doesn't seem like the unselfish guy that would sacrifice and change for the betterment of the team.  I also have nothing concrete to base this off of other than what I've picked up from him in his career, and the negative comments he made about playing in the shotgun with Bridgewater instead of the I.  Guess we'll find out.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.