Skip to main content

Is paying Latavius Murray $5 million per smarter than paying AP $3.5 million per? 

I don't view Loomis or Spielman as particularly competent GM's. The Vikings have two 3rd round picks. Don't you use one of those for a RB instead of giving Latavius Murray $5 million while not giving AP $3.5? For that matter why pay either one?

Whatever. I hope the Vikings promote opening night by handing out purple tree branches to the first 50,000 fans and AP goes for 245 and three TD's. Then AP blows his knee out week 2. 

College isn't sending up many Pro Style QBs anymore. It's harder to find a franchise QB, but it's also harder to find a legit coach that can develop a QB. There are lots of coaches like Bill O'Brien, Josh McDaniels, Kyle Shannahan, Ben McAdoo who parlayed "developing" already established franchise QBs in to bigger opportunities, but there aren't many guys anymore that have actually developed QBs. McCarthy, Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Ken Whisenhunt, Bruce Arians, even Jason Garrett, those guys have all actually developed a QB. 

Raiders held firm and didn't give up much in acquiring Beast Mode.  Exchange of late-round picks in 2018. Seattle gets Oakland's fifth-round pick in exchange for Lynch and the Seahawks' sixth-round pick

Charles Woodson granted Lynch permission to wear number 24 in Oaktown. 

Per Lynch :

"Yes Lawd 12th man I'm thankful but [expletive] just got REAL I had hella fun in Seattle," Lynch wrote on Twitter  "But I'm really from Oakland doe like really really really from Oakland doe... town bizzness breath on me." 

Casey Hayward made 64 on NFL top 100 list. His 58.3 completion percentage against was 3rd best in the NFL last year. Playing exclusively as a boundary corner. 

Its absolutely a fair question to ask if the defensive brain trust in Green Bay has any idea what they have and how best to utilize them. And how to coach them up. 

Maybe it was totally on Ted and it came down to cap management that led to the decision let Casey walk. Maybe Casey just wanted out of Green Bay. 

But $5 million per season for a boundary corner that's capable of producing a sub 60% completion percentage against is a bargain. Unless the GM doesn't think that kind of money for a slot corner is a good investment and the defensive staff gives you no reason to think otherwise.

Last edited by ChilliJon

PFF ranked him in the top 25 for NFL CBs his last two seasons in GB. He got a good contract because he actually did play well in GB and obviously GB used him correctly. Health has always been a factor for Hayward, if anyone doubted he could perform well when healthy then they were mistaken. Letting him walk and counting on two 2nd year players to fill that gap was a mistake. Considering Shields age and injury history, it was a poor gamble by Thompson. It wouldn't be the first time a player has played well after leaving in free agency, certainly Charles Woodson had some of his best years after leaving Oakland for GB.

Last edited by Grave Digger

Packers compensatory picks

Perhaps the best news this week was provided by an ESPN report that suggests the Packers might receive four compensatory picks in next yearโ€™s draft.

In fact, the Packers should receive a third-round pick in return for losing right guard T.J. Lang in free agency. By allowing Lang to leave without re-signing him, the Packers essentially traded him to whatever team (the Detroit Lions) he signed with in exchange for a 2018 third-round selection.

Who wouldnโ€™t trade Lang for a third-round pick?

Packers GM Ted Thompson did. He avoided guaranteeing $10 million to an aging player and reportedly will receive a third-round pick in return.

Now thatโ€™s a sweet deal.

ESPN, which cited OverTheCap.com, believes the Packers will receive a third-round pick for Lang, a fifth-rounder for center J.C. Tretter (signed by Cleveland), a sixth-rounder for Jared Cook (signed by Oakland) and another sixth-rounder for Eddie Lacy (signed by Seattle).

The loss of defensive back Micah Hyde (signed by Buffalo) offsets the Packersโ€™ signing of free agent tight end Martellus Bennett. The Packersโ€™ other free agent signings โ€“ cornerback Davon House, tight end Lance Kendricks and defensive tackle Ricky Jean-Francois โ€“ were โ€œstreetโ€ free agents

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.