Skip to main content

michiganjoe posted:
PackerPatrick posted:

http://packerswire.usatoday.co...-cornerback-in-2017/

House doesn't get much love in this link either.

Kruse should have at least noted the defensive scheme change in Jacksonville. Wouldn't read too much into last year with House.

There was a scheme change. Yet, its disappointing none-the-less. We are hanging our hopes on players who disappointed last year. We hope that last year was a fluke. We hope that Capers has learned a lesson and will use a better scheme. We hope that our starting OLB's wont get injured. We hope that our D-line will be better than so-so this year. That's a lot of hoping. But based on hard stats it seems a bit futile. When I was active duty our commander used to say that "Hope is not a viable tactic".

GBFanForLife posted:

Training camp hasn't even started and the season is over. Guess we will have to find something else to do this fall.

Its true that camp has not started. And the season is yet to begin. Camp and preseason will give us a better idea of the teams strengths and weaknesses'. I know that I often come off as a "Negative Nelly".  Yet I also admit that there is still plenty of time to turn hope into expectations. I am not writing off the team esp. the offense. Your right, we don't know. But my expectations of our defense are low. I will be most happy to be wrong. I am told that crow tastes like chicken.

PackerPatrick posted:
There was a scheme change. Yet, its disappointing none-the-less. We are hanging our hopes on players who disappointed last year. We hope that last year was a fluke. We hope that Capers has learned a lesson and will use a better scheme. We hope that our starting OLB's wont get injured. We hope that our D-line will be better than so-so this year. That's a lot of hoping. But based on hard stats it seems a bit futile. When I was active duty our commander used to say that "Hope is not a viable tactic".

It' a huge factor. Jacksonville used House in the worst way you could relative to his strengths. He is a bump-and-run "man" corner and they had him in zone and off-man. House is no Herb Adderly but he's much better than he showed last year, when used properly. 

I don't think the Packer brass is relying on "hope" when it comes to the defense. They are using their medical staff and trainers to develop Randall and Rollins into better/healthier players. They used Free Agency to add Davon House to strengthen the secondary and also added Ricky-Jean Francois, a highly motivated  and seasoned vet to bolster the D-line. They Drafted a highly touted CB in Kevin King, an exciting as hell Swiss Army knife in Josh Jones, an under-rated beast DT from Auburn (love me some Monta !!)  , and even a Badger pass-rusher in Biegel.  Oh yeah, they also re-signed Jayrone Elliot and Nick Perry this off-season too. Always pays to keep an eye on some up and coming UDFA too.....guys like Reggie Gilbert, Calvin, etc....are exciting prospects.

Sorry to dull your negativity, and it might take a while to develop, but I think the Packer Defense has had some attention paid to it and will be much improved. If not, just Fire Capers  

ChilliJon posted:

According to MM. Montravius Adams will miss multiple weeks with foot injury. Stress fracture that will require surgery/screw inserted. Likely out the entire preseason. ****ing wonderful. 

I saw that this morning and is it crazy that all I did was shake my head and think to myself "here we go again"  All kidding aside how does one team have some many players out consistently with injuries? 

ChilliJon posted:

Biegel and now Monty Adams on the shelf with foot injuries. Didn't expect either to step in and have an immediate impact. But Adams was depth with Guion out at least four games. Hopefully Adams is able to take some snaps week 1. 

Right now they have Daniels, Clark, and Lowry starting with Guion being the first guy off the bench. They added Ricky J-F who has looked good in camp IMO, so they're 4 deep at DT without Guion and they generally only play 2 at a time. You'd rather have as much depth as possible, but I don't think I think they will be fine.

Last edited by Grave Digger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.