Skip to main content

Since the  bombardment in Atlanta the defense has been the focus of much handwringing and speculation by both the media and fans!  

Although I did not see the current swing in philosophy on defense (smaller faster players in hybrid roles and specialized defensive sets, I would offer a few thoughts on how this could play out.  Now a disclaimer I think the move to this defensive approach is perhaps season to late and a few teams will start to move back to power-football  to take advantage of the waterbugs on the field but not before 2018.

That said in 2010 the interior of the defense was stout with Raji, Green and Jenkins being formidable on the line and Barnett\Bishop & Hawk at ILB.  

In 2017 the interior is going to be theoretically just as stout.  I think the growth of Kenny Clarke will be key and if he plays as well as BJ did I think they are there.  Daniels is as good if not better than Jenkins and RJF will be a wash with Howard Green.  This will shift the focus on the hybrid concept of the ILB's and whether they can hold up in the in the run game.  I know that sounds odd but recall the number of 3rd and long and 4 th down fails by GB last year.  Now offensive coordinators like boxers usually punch to your weakest hand so I expect that on these 3rd and intermediate distances the Packers will see much more run plays that they did last year and the crux of the season may hinge on how Josh Jones plays in the run game and how that line controls the gaps that will be essential in protecting these smaller faster players

I expect that the secondary will be 50% better with healthier players and I am not swayed by stats.  Very good defenses own the 2 seconds after the snap of the ball and if they win most of those 2 second battles they will be good, if not it is  a long season.  I also expect that the defense will not hit its stride till November when they have had 7-8 games under their belts! Last year the Packers had 47 sacks but really could not control anybody, I tend to focus on % completions and 3rd and 4th down stops and if the GB D were top 10 in these categories this could be a special season!

Your thoughts.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The the biggest difference, to me, will be at CB. We had 3 sophomore players starting, 2/3 were slowed with injury most of the season, but all 3 were dealing with a bit of a slump. I expect all 3 to rebound in the same way Davante Adams did, with a fury to prove last season was a fluke. There is some veteran leadership in the meeting room now that wasn't there last year, someone is there to help these guys if they struggle. Shields was supposed to be our veteran leader in that group and it sounds like he bounced as soon as he got put on IR.

I expect we will start the season with House and Gunter in the outside, Randall in the slot, with Rollins and King coming off the bench as needed. By seasons end I expect King will supplant House in the lineup. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

I am cautiously optimistic.  I think when at full health, this defense might be pretty good, but with Matthews and Perry's histories, full health can never be assumed.  Looking forward to see what those 1st two rookies draft picks can do for the defense.

Really, all they need is for the defense to give them a fighting chance.  There were a good 3 or 4 games last year where they were so bad, it would have taken a perfect effort on offense just to stay in the game.  Games like the Titans, Redskins, Falcons where the D looked like they didn't show up at all just can't happen again this year. 

El-Kofi-Amichia posted:

not wait a second, when has Capers ever had 7 (much less 9) guys focus on stopping anything?

2010?  You had the magnificent 7 - Woodson, Matthews, Jenkins, Raji, T. Williams, D. Bishop, and Nick Collins.  Man would I love to get that group back together again and in their primes...  Other than the '96 Packers, that was the best Packers' defense I have seen in the 40 years I have been watching the NFL.

Oh and I know you were being sarcastic... but it did give us a chance to reminisce about one of the best defenses in Packers history, even Dom couldn't screw that up. 

I donno, I really think that this years defense will be better than last years. Perhaps not up to 2010 but better. I like the additions to the team and improved health and experience of last years players. I also expect the return to more of a press man coverage in the secondary. House does that well. I think that the  soft zone coverage was due to injury and inexperience in the secondary. I like Witt as a coach.

However, I am concerned over Capers playcalling. I watched too many games where players seemed out of position to make plays. The Zone Blitz relies on superior athletes covering for one another. We are good but hardly superior. I also think that the Zone Blitz doesn't fool offenses like it used to and we may not have the players with the right skill set for it. But I could be wrong about that but I know its not working like it used to.

Perry is very good against the run and improving his pass rush. Clay cannot win the leverage battle anymore and I think that banging against bigger linemen is self defeating. Moving him inside as a rover and outside on passing downs will prolong his effectiveness. Fackrell has put on weight and Elliot has flashed. Biegle has potential and has experience in a 3-4 type defense and may be a quick read. Using our safety's once in a while as hybrid linebackers will help against many pass happy offenses. Our ILB's are just OK and that may be good enough.

I like our D-line but think that Daniels could do better if allowed to play on 3rd down more. RJF, Guion and Clark add beef. Lowery was getting better as last season wore on.

But all in all I remain hopeful.

Average 40 time of Patriots DB group in 2016: 4.53

Average 40 time of Packers DB group in 2017: 4.51

The reigning SB champs should always be the measure of what is necessary to win. I think we are fine on speed, especially in the DB group. The average 40 time over our entire LB group is exactly the same as the average time of the Patriots 2016 LB group as well. Speed alone does not make a team better, it's one skill among many that players need. 

Last edited by Grave Digger
ChilliJon posted:

Defense in the NFCCG was slow and lost. We can split hairs all day over kinds of  speed. This defense just needed to get faster. Hopefully they fix the "lost" part in camp. 

I disagree, I think Atlanta just executed better and took advantage of who GB had available. Julio Jones vs Ladarius Gunter is a mismatch, not only because Julio is faster. Sometimes it is just as simple as one team executing better. Dallas out-executed almost every team during the regular season, GB took care of business in the playoffs though. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.