Skip to main content

MichiganPacker posted:
DH13 posted:

The regularly open receivers on 3 step drops is what troubled me the most.  That's the part that I can't simply chalk up as "our guys were injured, it would be different at home".  Can't fix that with a pass rush.  Have to jam better at the line is your only option. 

I'm not sure what more ATL would have to do to impress some GB fans.  They gave up some plays and some points on D but they were also facing what many consider to be one of if not the best O in the league.  Even without 87 and 69.

I'm sure they don't trust their CBs to get decent jams at the line. If they miss the jams it's a go route with Julio Jones. The Falcons also schemed well to get Jones or Sanu in motion - hard to jam guys if they have a head start.

That's exactly what I said in another thread.  House and King supposedly have that in their game but King's paint is still wet and I still can't figure out if our S's are good enough on the back end in coverage.  I read a lot of good things about them but then you see games like yesterday where they're late in coverage or have been assigned somewhere else on the field. 

Hungry5 posted:

Ju. Jones I think had 1 catch after they mostly had King on him. Julio did a lot of damage until mid way through the 2nd qtr. 

So when Ryan just missed Julio on a go route in the 4th with House stumbling in desperation trying to keep up with him I wondered to myself, "how and why did that almost happen?"

I don't know enough to know this for a certainty. But.... it really looked like after having Gunter follow Julio everywhere in the title game they had the DBs stay put last night and play what looked like a hybrid zone looking coverage. When that didn't work Dom shuffled the chairs. Put King outside, moved House to the other side and put Randall in the slot.

It just looked like the defense (specifically the secondary)  looked like they started with a bad plan and then it turned into a fire drill.

If the net result is King becoming a FT starter then that's not a total loss.

Last edited by ChilliJon

There is simply too much tape on Dom & his tendencies. I've been preaching it for about 5 years now. The opposing offense knows what's coming every time.

Wanna know why Seattle had so much trouble with SF on Sunday? No tape. If SF had even 1 or 2 better players they probably win that game.

The only way Dom's defense will be any good, ever again, is if we have all of our defensive players healthy & they're playing at near Pro-Bowl levels. Losing Daniels is a Grand Canyon sized hole in the defense.

Play last night that drives me crazy with Dom and what he's doing with the secondary. 

Just under 6 minutes left in the game. Falcons facing 2nd and 13 inside their own 20. King lines up 10 yards off Gabriel then gives more space after the snap. Gabriel runs a completely unimpeded simple slant into the middle. King seemed to stay outside like he was asked. Easy pitch and catch for 12 yards setting up 3rd and 1 which they convert. 

You can't just give up 12 yards that easily down by 11 with time on the clock with that kind of down and distance. 

Nothing that happened last night tells me Dom is getting close to figuring out how to fix his coverage problems. 

Brainwashed Boris posted:

There is simply too much tape on Dom & his tendencies. I've been preaching it for about 5 years now. The opposing offense knows what's coming every time.

Wanna know why Seattle had so much trouble with SF on Sunday? No tape. If SF had even 1 or 2 better players they probably win that game.

The only way Dom's defense will be any good, ever again, is if we have all of our defensive players healthy & they're playing at near Pro-Bowl levels. Losing Daniels is a Grand Canyon sized hole in the defense.

Seattle apparently didn't have access to the tape on Dom's D because they didn't make it in the end zone. So far we have 1 very strong performance and 1 very weak performance. Let's see how they perform over multiple weeks before we jump to conclusions. We won't see a passing O like Atlanta until the playoffs, but we won't see an OL like Seattle again. 

Grave Digger posted:

The biggest coaching mistake of the night, IMO, was going into a gameplan where Davon House or King wasn't on Julio the whole night. House isn't perfect either.....

King was definitely a bright spot, but the Pack was equally inept in their efforts to cover Sanu as well. Both Julio and Sanu looked uncoverable by the CB's that the Packer coaching staff determined to be CB-1, CB-2, and CB-3.....all three of which (Randall, House, and Rollins) were either chasing in coverage or playing off which allowed easy pickings for ATL.

It was a repeat of the NFC Championship game. If ATL is going to make the quick throw on 3-5 step drops, why would you play off coverage, not jamb, or not bracket Sanu and Julio.  Frustrating. 

Last edited by Packdog

Tough to find WRs like Jones and he's the closest thing to Calvin Johnson in terms of size and speed combination.  

Sanu certainly isn't the athlete like Jones but he's a big, physical, crafty WR and he blocks very well.   

Randall in particular might be able to run and cover in man OK but he doesn't like to tackle and gets overwhelmed pretty easily.  I think he's have a difficult time guarding Sanu as well. 

Last edited by Tschmack
ChilliJon posted:

Play last night that drives me crazy with Dom and what he's doing with the secondary. 

Just under 6 minutes left in the game. Falcons facing 2nd and 13 inside their own 20. King lines up 10 yards off Gabriel then gives more space after the snap.

{snip}

Nothing that happened last night tells me Dom is getting close to figuring out how to fix his coverage problems. 

Interesting. Is this on Dom, or the defenders recognizing the play and adjusting? On offense Rodgers and the WRs must know the opponents defensive alignments and how to adjust and attack. Does Dom not prepare, coach, call the game similarly?

King looked like he was playing the exact coverage he was asked to play. King didnt come to the line over Gabriel. He set up 10 yards deep and zone covered the boundary. Bigger question is if Ryan recognized this and changed play at the line. Gabriel was simply all alone for 12 pretty easy yards. 

Not advocating anyone losing their job today. But GB spent 9 months getting ready for last night and it culminated with Dom rearranging things in the secondary before the game was 20 minutes old. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.