Skip to main content

2 hours ago

Whitt said he's asking QB Aaron Rodgers to target rookie Kevin King more in practice, test him as much as possible. Trial by fire.

Joe Whitt Jr. says he's "not playing around" with Kevin King, already putting him with starters. Wants to see if he can do it or not.

Ghost of Lambeau posted:
Henry posted:

This is the other thought that came to mind.  With all these hybrid S/LB setups, particularly Jones,  where exactly is the coaching coming from?  Perry or Moss?

Does it matter?  

I'd prefer Asst to the Asst Super Secret HC only wreck one unit at a time.

michiganjoe posted:

Randall doesn't even appear to be in the conversation as a starter currently. 

Yep. A couple other scouting reports I read in the last 2 days have Randall 4th on the depth chart, at best. Does not appear Whitt is all that thrilled with his start to TC. 

Henry posted:

This is the other thought that came to mind.  With all these hybrid S/LB setups, particularly Jones,  where exactly is the coaching coming from?  Perry or Moss?

Moss coaches the OLBs, McCurley works with the ILBs. I never saw Burnett or Jones working with any group other than Safeties. They are Safeties, coached by Perry, except when they're LBs. 

That's what I observed with Randall. King was out yesterday and Randall was the Slot and Rollins took King's spot outside. In my opinion, I think it was more about Rollins TAKING that starting role rather than Randall losing it. All the CBs have been pretty competitive. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

I love Randall in the slot & Rollins outside. I hope King can play out there too. We need that badly.

You all just wait....Janis will be taking Jordy's spot next year. You all wait & see!

“This organization does a great job of not panicking and freaking out,” Nelson said. “You look where we were last year, at 4-6, there are probably some organizations that would’ve cut some ties. We finished strong. And keeping the core upstairs and the core down here, it gives us a chance to be successful.”

This is probably the aspect of this organization I appreciate the most. You see the same thing in NE and Pittsburgh. Fans may be calling for blood, but the organization stays focused. Agree with MM or disagree, he's going to follow his vision whether it leads to a SB (already has) or crashes and burns (it hasn't and won't). 

ilcuqui posted:

Terrific interview with MM by Albert Breer. Highly recommended.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08...g-camp-mike-mccarthy

Agree. An interesting point about the team leaders all being brought up in the system, and so few free agents brought in, so no one has to "buy into" what MM and GB are selling. They just pass it on to the new guys. You can see from the interview that MM has leadership skills that go beyond the field. Fans may not always agree with him or his calls, but he's done pretty darn well and it's far preferable to trotting out a new coach every three years.

Grave Digger posted:

I've already predicted a top 10 defense, possibly top 5, if we aren't ravaged by injuries again like last year. 

I hope you're right.  IF that is true and IF #12 stays healthy, we'll be playing for another Lombardi on the Vikings' home field.  Last time we had a top-10 defense was 2010.

The Packers have signed rookie DT Aiulua Fanene from Arizona, his agent Aaron Gordon told ESPN. The native of Samoa is the younger brother of Jonathan Fanene, who played for the Bengals and Patriots. He should provide depth after rookie third-round DT Montravius Adams had foot surgery and is expected to miss multiple weeks. Fanene likely will take the roster spot of cornerback Herb Waters, who is expected to be placed on injured reserve because of a shoulder injury.

https://zonazealots.com/2017/0...s-nfl-diamond-rough/

Jamaal Williams - RB - Packers

For the second straight day Thursday, ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky reported fourth-round RB Jamaal Williams appears to be "pushing" Ty Montgomery for starting duties.

Per Demovsky, the coaching staff has "praised (Williams') pass-protection ability," an area where Montgomery remains a work in progress. Williams received the first first-team reps of Thursday's practice. Coach Mike McCarthy called Ty Mont a "full threat" on Monday, but Williams is set up to make a preseason push. Williams is shaping up as a solid flier, while Montgomery is a risk/reward RB2.
I liked what I saw from both guys in camp. Williams runs hard and has more of James Starks downhill style, while Monty is more of a slasher who is lightning quick. I actually liked what I saw Devonte Mays also, we might actually have a pretty solid RB group this year. 

Yes, Monty appears to continue to have struggles in pass protection. I go back to the Dallas game when AR got rocked, but somehow managed to hold onto the ball. It 'looks" like it was Bak's fault, but I wonder if the scheme called for Monty to pick up the un-blocked defender? 

Oh No, Monty might not be the starting RB I guess this means we throw his very talented ass away! The guy can do so many things and brings so much to an offense, but hey, let's throw him out with yesterday's bath water.

tymont probably has more football talent in his little finger than you or I have in our entire bodies.

lets get past day 6 of camp first....

People have said Ty has very big hands and talented fingers. People have said. Many people. Smart people who know what they're talking about. Trying to use Ty's talented fingers to prove your point. Sad! 

I was hoping Jamal Williams would emerge simply due to his running style and bulk.  That a is a perfect RB by committee setup.  Ty may be weak on pass blocking but ripping off a 5 yard average is absurd.  

Speaking of blocking, I'm still interested/concerned about Jahri Evans.  Sounds like he's playing solid ball and they definitely aren't moving or putting anyone else in RG position but I worry about a Saturday drop off mid season. 

Last edited by Henry

FB_IMG_1501856660823We kept noticing footballs stuck in the 90 foot high rafters of the Don Hutson Center, the Packers indoor practice facility. Turns out new rookie punter Justin Vogel, Miami, had been routinely kicking punts that ricocheted off the ceiling. We counted over 11 times his punts hit the roof, with 5 footballs still stuck to the ceiling - Mike Clemens

Attachments

Images (1)
  • FB_IMG_1501856660823

I actually saw Murphy sub in at RG (with the 1's) on a couple occasions. I saw Barclay exclusively work at Center, although he's played so much Guard since he's been here perhaps they're not worried about him getting work there. The depth at OG seemed to be exclusively Taylor then McCray at LG and Evans then Murphy then Patrick at RG. Center depth seemed to be Linsley then Barclay then Amichia. 

Yeah the crazy thing about Vogel was the hangtime he seemed to be getting. Reminded me of Jon Ryan. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.