Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I guess slow-paced Badgers basketball flunks their eyeball test. They prefer face-paced, high scoring games with alley oops and monster dunks, not Nigel and Happ backing down on people.

How awesome would it be to knock out their #1 overall in the second round? Bust the crap out of the whole bracket in a defensive battle. 

Last edited by Pistol GB
Pistol GB posted:

I guess slow-paced Badgers basketball flunks their eyeball test. They prefer face-paced, high scoring games with alley oops and monster dunks, not Nigel and Happ backing down on people.

How awesome would it be to knock out their #1 overall in the second round? Bust the crap out of the whole bracket in a defensive battle. 

Exactly.  Sometimes I think the committee is more concerned with making sure they have matchups that will have ratings.  They don't do what is fair sometimes.

But, there is one thing about UW sports and that is when they are given no chance at all that is when they surprise us.

I really can't find any explanation other than RPI for for Bucky to be below (or even equal) Minny, Michigan, Maryland and Northwestern.

However, the worst part of this is they played the last game of the entire D1 season and get a Thursday game out east. Note there were sites in Milwaukee and Indy they could have gone. Just a 100% complete screw job.

Goalline posted:
MichiganPacker2 posted:

One and done against Va Tech? 

Well, they definitely ain't getting by Nova in round 2.

If they do get to play Nova (and that is obviously no sure thing), the only way they win is if someone goes off and has one of those games where they can't be stopped. The one guy they have capable of doing that is Koenig.

Hayes has to play like he did yesterday (when he played pretty well). He was 6-11 for 14 points with 11 rebounds. Happ played adequately yesterday and had 14 and 11. He missed a few bunnies (6-16), but even 20 and 11 wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. Hayes and Happ can't force things though.

I'd like to see Koenig (with Gard's blessing) just say F it and put up about 20 shots. I'd rather have Koenig take a contested shot than see any other player like Hayes, Vitto, Iverson, Thomas, or Hill take wide open outside shots (other than Showalter at the 3 point line). Koenig is capable of doing that and they are going to need that to have any chance. He has to have the type of game that Dekker had against Arizona two years ago.

Pistol GB posted:

This isn't Bucky from 5+ years ago. This is a Bucky team that isn't run-and-gun but definitely isn't the Dick Bennett/early Bo slowdown club. They have athletes and the pedigree now with two Final Fours in their pocket.

Bleacher Report has then one and done:

http://bleacherreport.com/arti...ks-for-every-matchup

"No. 9 Virginia Tech over No. 8 Wisconsin

Buzz Williams is 4-1 in round-of-64 games, and the quickness of his Hokies on the perimeter could give Wisconsin issues. The Badgers have problems with teams that can spread the floor and shoot the threeβ€”teams like Creighton, Michigan and Michigan State. The Hokies shoot 40.3 percent from deep."

Last edited by Music City
chickenboy posted:
Pistol GB posted:

This isn't Bucky from 5+ years ago. This is a Bucky team that isn't run-and-gun but definitely isn't the Dick Bennett/early Bo slowdown club. They have athletes and the pedigree now with two Final Fours in their pocket.

They are still slow.

Music City posted:

Bleacher Report has then one and done:

http://bleacherreport.com/arti...ks-for-every-matchup

"No. 9 Virginia Tech over No. 8 Wisconsin

Buzz Williams is 4-1 in round-of-64 games, and the quickness of his Hokies on the perimeter could give Wisconsin issues. The Badgers have problems with teams that can spread the floor and shoot the threeβ€”teams like Creighton, Michigan and Michigan State. The Hokies shoot 40.3 percent from deep."

Yeah, they are ****ed!

Crash-Ka-Bong posted:

I agree Bucky got hosed by the seeding, but the committee has for years taken extra weight for how you played in February.  

Then why do they keep talking about the whole body of work? Bucky beat Goophers twice, once by a yuge beat down  IN February.   Had a better B1G record and went farther in the B1G Tournament. Apparently  The Schitmitee  still thinks Dick Bennett coaches the Badgers.  The four seniors on this team have been to 3 consecutive Sweet 16s, they deserved better than an 8 in Buffalo. 

Kinda what I said isn't it? Whether or not their pace of play is slow or not has nothing to do with how they can hang with the teams that get up and down. They have finally recruited the types of athletes that can stack up with the 'one-and-done' programs. Haven't they proven that? Committee didn't have an issue with Virginia's 'pace of play' did they?

The logic that they got penalized for playing 'Bucky Ball' is ludicrous. They are beyond that. They just plain got screwed.

chickenboy posted:
 Whether or not their pace of play is slow or not has nothing to do with how they can hang with the teams that get up and down. They have finally recruited the types of athletes that can stack up with the 'one-and-done' programs. 

No poster here said anything about lack of athleticism. That's all you.  Not sure who you are arguing with or why.  Bucky got screwed. By the committee.

What's your theory, that it is just "plain"?  Okay, got you down for that. A random screwing. Got it. 

Last edited by Pistol GB
chickenboy posted:
Goalline posted:
They are still slow.

Zak, Hill, Trice and BK disagree with you. They 'play' slower than most teams but they are not slow and they are athletic. It seems like this club needed a 'chip' on the proverbial shoulder all year. The committee pulled a pick out of their toolbox. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

I don't care if they have 5 Allen IVersons on the court at the same time. If you play at that pace you are slooooow.

I think this thread is a bit over the top with the snub assessments.

Five straight losses in February?  Not only did they not look like an 8 seed, they didn't look like a 14 seed.  They looked like a team deserving of the NIT.

If it was a snub, it was a mild one and it was one whose rationale dismisses, "Who are you NOW?"

I'm just glad they got some mojo back.  Let's see if they can beat Tech and make Villanova competitive.

Going off on a tangent, but I'll tell you what REALLY rankles me.

Without the zebras, Wisconsin would have beaten Duke.

I happened to be in the Twin Cities listening to their local espn sports a year after that game when conversation turned to Wisconsin basketball.  I think it may have had to do with Bo Ryan quitting.  Realizing, Minnesota is bigtime anti-anything-Wisconsin, their main host brings up that game and says the zebras sure helped Duke.

Here you have a team and a fan base with something like 4 championships playing against a team where it just may be a once in a life time kind of thing - and the ^&%$# umps.  Suddenly what were charges became defensive fouls and Duke defensive fouls became charges.

I could vomit.

Though I am not saying the Duke guards didn't help their cause.

Anyway, the above example takes it from some seeding to the actual play on the court in the biggest moment.

I'll never forget.

The foul calls in the second half of that game were terrible, but the key point in the game came with 13 minutes left. Duke called timeout down 9 and then Bucky played great D and forced a long 3 pointer at the shot clock buzzer which Grayson Allen hit. If he misses that shot, it's a completely different game. 

13:23Frank Kaminsky made Layup. Assisted by Josh Gasser.48 - 39 
13:17Duke Timeout48 - 39 
12:53Grayson Allen made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Marshall Plumlee.48 - 42
El-Stalker-Bong posted:

I thought not calling the charge changed the tone of the whole game

That was another moment, but watching the game live I just remember thinking that we were about to go up double digits before that long 3 pointer. The call on Dukan was just an awful call, but it wasn't the momentum swing the 3 pointer was. 

Of course, scoring 4 points between 9:18 and 1:09 in the second half had a lot to do with losing too. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.