Skip to main content

Here's what I don't get and I had been thinking about this for awhile now, well before the draft started, and seeing them taking Love just reaffirmed it for me..why wouldn't you sign a guy like Jameis to be your backup/future QB?? He's still young yet, he has NFL experience and having him sit and watch Arodg, should help him cut down on his INT's. He has major arm talent. I mean it's pretty evident, that now they plan to have Arodg for maybe two more years, you could have/should have signed Jameis for two years and turn it over to him after that if this was the plan all along.

Then you can draft completely differently, and everything looks so much better today. BTW, Jameis signed with NO this morning. That to me was and should have been a no brainer all along for awhile now(GB signing Jameis), and again seeing them take Love in the 1st just reaffirms that for me.

I think it was GD who first brought up the reporting that GB was planning to run more this season and moving forward. Then there were a few more related tweets and stories on this same topic. Many were from a month or so back, but they didn't get a lot of attention then because, well, you know, Aaron Rodgers and of course GB needs to give him more weapons.

Another comment/story from about a month ago was Rodgers saying it doesn't matter if GB picks a QB, he isn't beating AR out... in hindsight that is an interesting comment to me. Rodgers is very mindful of what he says and when he says it. Maybe, Rodgers was aware of Gutekunst's interest in Love, and maybe Rodgers has been aware of how MLF sees the offense, since like their 1st conversation. Maybe Rodgers said that preemptively.

Maybe Rodgers is just as giddy about the moves this offseason and plans to RTFFB more as he was a year ago when he made the "We have a defense" comment?

Maybe Rodgers knows at 36/37 he needs balance in the offense he plays in.

Rodgers is smart overall, and has a very high football IQ. He saw how SFO beat them. Maybe he is aligned with what the team is doing. Not that he was consulted, but that he was/is aware of the plan.

I get the defense got gashed by SFO and so far it looks like the additions on that side of the ball this offseason have done little to counter that. If there is a 2020 season, it will be a big test for Gutey's '18 & '19 moves. Burks, Gary, Keke need to take the next step.

Do we know Rodgers is unhappy with the current WR group?

It doesn't have anything to do with Rodger, it could be any QB.  You need solid players to win.  Maybe Begelton shows something.  Lazard gets another year under his belt.  Funchess isn't in ambulance all season and plays average ball.  Yes, that's better but it still completely ignores what the passing game in conjunction with the run game could be.

Last edited by Henry

Do we care? No, but people are worried about how pissed off he is. Maybe the answer is he’s not pissed at all with WR. We gave up 36 sacks a year ago, if I were him I’d be more pissed that we downgraded RT. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

That to me was and should have been a no brainer all along for awhile now(GB signing Jameis), and again seeing them take Love in the 1st just reaffirms that for me.

You have watched Winston play right?

The deal with the Saints is  a one year deal. Why would you sign Winston to a one year deal that will most likely be more than Love will get in 3-4 years?  That would be a really stupid place to spend limited cap $$$$$.  If we were not paying AR 12   35 million $$$$ this season it might be different. 

Last edited by ammo
@Dr._Bob posted:

I hope Love doesn't come in and call Rodgers "Old Man".

God, I hope he does!

Rodgers needs to be motivated just like Favre needed it too at that stage of his career. Rodgers hates disrespect and I hope that he views this as a chance to prove his doubters wrong.

I try to look at things as positively as I can (especially these days) but this is just a horseshit answer. . Oh, and the irony of not taking a WR because he won't make an impact this year.....lol, ok Bry.

Packers GM Brian Gutenkunst reason why he didn’t select a receiver in this years draft!

Last edited by packerboi
Many of us knew the type of offense/players MLF would be implementing when he was hired.  Plenty of RB/TE concepts that go beyond the norm.

Still in progress ...and still needs better WR’s !!

As for the defense, I fear that Gute and ABM have too much faith in Lowry and Lancaster. Hopefully Keke and/or Willis can save the position next to KC. Montravious - last chance you huge disappointment !!! 

What Gute is a super genius and he 1) took a QB of the future for the post Rodgers era but also 2) knew taking a QB would give Aaron the chip he needed to go prove he still has the goods and isn’t sun setting. It’s a brilliant plan really. 😂

Calling my shot right now: Aaron wins MVP #3 and we defeat Indy in the SB. He rides off into the sunset having cemented his legacy as the goat...all because Gute picked Jordan Love instead of a WR. 👍🏼

@packerboi posted:

I try to look at things as positively as I can (especially these days) but this is just a horseshit answer. . Oh, and the irony of not taking a WR because he won't make an impact this year.....lol, ok Bry.

· 29 mins · 

Packers GM Brian Gutenkunst reason why he didn’t select a receiver in this years draft!

It is a BS answer, especially because Demovsky said he was told, the one guy Gutey would be willing to move up for was Justin Jefferson, and Gutey COULD have done that with NE at 23..They always move down. When their spot came up and Jefferson was still there, I started getting excited because once Philly passed on him at #23, and he was there, I was certain there was ZERO chance Gutey would pass him up, especially with Minnesota two spots behind. It made ALL the sense in the world to do it. You give what you gotta give, but get it done. It was just such a no brainer, talk about the perfect fit for their offense from the slot..he was the guy. Just will forever shake my head in disbelief that he didn't do that.

Compounding it even more was the fact in Round 2 with Mims falling further than expected and reports that the Packers liked him a lot...you don't move up TWO spots to go get him?? There was zero doubt in my mind the Jets were going to take him when it got to their pick. THEN(and I sound like a broken record), again had the chance to move up a couple of spots to take Duvernay(the burner they really need), and again fails to do it...this from a GM who proudly stated more than once he expected to and wanted to "move around" in his pre draft presser. Absolutely disgusting.

@Grave Digger -- funny post. But you think Indy is coming out of of the AFC?!?!

@GreenNgoldBlood -- take a look at the 1st round. Vikings drafted Jefferson at #22, so your post doesn't make sense. Plus Eagles drafted Reagor at #21. 

@Boris posted:

@GreenNgoldBlood -- take a look at the 1st round. Vikings drafted Jefferson at #22, so your post doesn't make sense. Plus Eagles drafted Reagor at #21. 

You're right, I messed up..I was thinking Minny would go corner at #22 and wait on Jefferson to fall to #25 and that's when Gutey should have pounced.

Either way, even taking Jefferson out of the equation not moving up like two spots to take either Mims or Duvernay was completely inexcusable. The capitol would have been very small, probably could have done it for a #5 or maybe a #5 and #6(to move up two spots in the 2nd for Mims)

Not taking a WR AT ALL!! in a draft supposedly as deep at this position as it’s been in years is one thing, but what gets me the most pissed off is the guy he picked in the 2nd was a projected 5th round pick and the one in the third was a projected 6-7th round pick, with a couple of draft pundits predicting he wouldn’t be drafted at all. 

I sure as hell hope both these guys pan out but for Fuck sakes it sure seems both of these guys would have been there on day 3. That could be huge mistake by Gute 

@mrtundra posted:

So, how do we stop the run?  Why did we move up four spots to grab a QB, who, most likely, would have been there at 30, and then we would not have lost our 4th Round pick by staying put. I've heard people say Gute was giving MLF what he wanted. Maybe we need to look at MLF, a little bit more?

One way is to have a non liability at MLB. We all saw that the DL was generally effective over the course of the season. The Smiths adding huge playmaking ability. But week after week, we saw competent offenses isolate and destroy Blake Martinez. They’d get him blocked, out of position, or as it was in the NFCC game, all that and stretch the play so his lack of recognition and speed prevented him from making any play on the ball carrier. 

My hope (and of course the Packers’) is that Kirksey can stay on the field. That’s the concern- because in every other measurable and otherwise way, he’s a better ILB than Martinez. He’ll recognize faster, get there quicker, and make the stop more frequently where it doesn’t hurt down/distance. If Keke can take a step and Adams stay on the field and take another, the DL is ok (assuming they’re able to keep Clark). 

@Boris posted:

I think Frank Reich is a really good coach. Adding Rivers, Buckner and Taylor will make a massive difference for them IMO. They got screwed over by Luck a year ago, I think they will surge this year. With NE possibly down I think IND and BUF will compete for the top spot with KC. 

The simple answer is that GB doesn’t feel like DL, ILB, and WR are issues. They believe in who they have and probably will look to bolster depth with vets. I think they’re anticipating a strong year 2 from Keke to rotate with Lowry, Lanc, and Adams to form a sound committee next to KC. They’re anticipating a next step from Lazard, Stern, and Tonyan and a healthy EQ, who quietly had a strong debut in 2018. A healthy Kirksey is an improvement over Martinez and they feel Burks, Bolton (who played well before injury), and Summers can improve enough to lock down ILB. 

Obviously their biggest issues they perceived were post-Rodgers QB play, short yardage offense, FB, and interior OL depth. Hard to argue with them on those concerns honestly. Their solutions at ILB, WR, and DL are big gambles. We’ll see...

I think Frank Reich is a really good coach. Adding Rivers, Buckner and Taylor will make a massive difference for them IMO. They got screwed over by Luck a year ago, I think they will surge this year. With NE possibly down I think IND and BUF will compete for the top spot with KC. 

Don't write off the Ravens too quickly. Personally I think they're the team to make it to the SB from the AFC if the season plays out.

I do agree that Reich is a good coach and I think the Colts are going to be much improved as will the Bills.

Last edited by Maxi54

I loved the Ravens draft. They sure have a knack for taking players I want on the Packers right in front of us. Be interesting to see how Queen plays out. Years ago they stole Ray Lewis right out from underneath us and now we basically handed them Queen.

I think they have an excellent front office starting back with Ozzie Newsome and they stay true to their identity as a hard-nosed team that always fields a darn good D.

I think the Ravens will be really good, but I want to see Lamar take the next step before I believe in them as a contender. He’s obviously good, great even at times, but I want to see him beat defenses that have a body of work to gameplan from. That sunk Kaepernick. Indy has a veteran QB who’s been fucked over by mismanagement and team health his entire career and I think has what it takes to get his team to the promise land.

I think the Ravens took a big step this year towards the Jackson transformation you're talking about GD. Getting Dobbins to run the ball along with Ingram and picking up DuVernay and Proche to help on the outside should make a difference.

I don't think you'll see him run the ball near as much going forward as he did this last year. He wasn't a terrible passer in college and he had a heck of a good year in 2019. 66.1% comp. rate, 36 TD's, only 6 Ints., rating of 113.3 for the season. He already has a stable of good TE's to work with as well.

As usual, the Ravens also picked up some really good D pieces to go with what they already had. 

Last edited by Maxi54

What Gute is a super genius and he 1) took a QB of the future for the post Rodgers era but also 2) knew taking a QB would give Aaron the chip he needed to go prove he still has the goods and isn’t sun setting. It’s a brilliant plan really. 😂

Calling my shot right now: Aaron wins MVP #3 and we defeat Indy in the SB. He rides off into the sunset having cemented his legacy as the goat...all because Gute picked Jordan Love instead of a WR. 👍🏼

I see Trophies is back!

@BearBite posted:

I will just leave this here:

Aaron Rodgers Will Be in Bears Uniform

Cornholer and Wilbum's job is to say crap like this to get people to watch the show.  They are going down the same road as Skip Clueless and Duller.   Leave it to a duhbear fan to fall for this. 

@H5 posted:

Screenshot_20200427-075802_Twitter

So Jace thinks that Aaron is going to treat his replacement at QB in (2-3?) years the same way he treats a TE he needs to have be productive in order to enhance Aaron's own production?

I mean, it does not take much to figure out one of those things is in Aaron's best interests while the other one is not.

Schwartz is pretty level-headed in his takes (as a former player who still has ties to the league) and what he says is simply logical based upon human nature.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.