Skip to main content

The following article was on the front page of the Green Bay Press-Gazette today (see attached pdfs at bottom) and is celebrating the 50 year anniversary of the Packers 1972 team.  Some of you I know remember that team and season well.  I think you’ll find the article and related videos a wonderful tribute to what was arguably the best team and season in the 24 years post-Lombardi and pre-Favre – basically, the entire decades of the 70’s and 80’s.  The link to the article is for PackersNews.com subscribers only.  So if you’re not a subscriber, you can read the pdfs attached.  You can get to the links for the excellent video at the beginning of the article, labeled “Packers reflect on 1972 team,” and a great one further down labeled “Former quarterback Scott Hunter talks about 1972 Packers.”  There are two other wonderful videos in the article you can also get to, the 1972 Season Highlight Film and the recap of the Packers win over the Vikings that year that clinched the division title.  Lastly, I actually raised the idea for this article back in June with Cliff Christl, the Packers' historian, and the author, Rich Ryman of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.  Rich liked the idea and decided to do it.  I’ve added my exchange with both of them below, which I thought you might find of interest as well.  Hope you enjoy Rich’s article as much as I did.  Thought he did an incredibly thorough job and told the ‘72 team’s story in a very enlightening and compelling way.  Would love to hear what you think of it.  Thanks.  Go Pack!

Article:  1972 Packers overcame all obstacles, except their own coach and Washington. Do they deserve more recognition?  https://www.packersnews.com/st...een-bay/10183524002/

Video:  Packers reflect on 1972 team (2:24) https://www.greenbaypressgazet...72-team/10527758002/

Video: Former quarterback Scott Hunter talks about 1972 Packers (1:40) https://www.greenbaypressgazet...packers/10527239002/

Video:  1972 Green Bay Packers Season Highlights – Part 1 of 2 (20:56) https://youtu.be/Yq6hS6mSMrE  Part 2 of 2 (4:25) https://youtu.be/ndEMDDrZWiU

Video:  NFL Game of the Week – Packers @ Vikings 12/10/72 (22:06) https://youtu.be/p0-va11Rnqk

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2022 1:14 PM
To: Rich Ryman (rryman@greenbay.gannett.com) <rryman@greenbay.gannett.com>
Subject: RE: 1972 PACKERS: 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Rich, though I know you took great notes yesterday, I thought it would only help if I jotted down the key points I made to you, literally off the top of my head, to help answer the question of what made the ’72 Packer team and season special enough to write about.  So I offer you the following.  Again, please let me know if I can help further in any way.  Otherwise, will look forward to hearing from you when appropriate.  Thanks again Rich.

• Only full-season division championship in the 20+ years after Lombardi and before Favre/Wolf/Holmgren/White.  Really, the one shining light from the entire 70’s and 80’s decades.  (I mentioned that while as a Packer fan I loved that the ’82 team made the playoffs, doing so at 5-3-1 in the strike-shortened season just doesn’t compare to what the ’72 team accomplished)
  • In the last 50+ years, what Packer team had a more dramatic turnaround?  In ’71 the Packers were 4-8-2 and finished last in the division.  No one predicted anything better for ’72.  Yet they amazingly went from last to first, from 4-8-2 to 10-4.
  • And the quality of those 10 wins was incredibly impressive.  The Cowboys won the Super Bowl in ’71.  The Packers were 4-8-2.  Yet three games into the ’72 season, the Packers beat the Cowboys straight-up in Milwaukee.  Other teams they beat that were playoff teams in ’71 and/or ’72:  The Browns, Vikings and 49ers.  And if not for a return of a muffed lateral that the NFL later determined was illegally returned for a TD, the Packers would have beaten another playoff team, the Raiders.  Very impressive how that 10-4 record was achieved.
  • Even more impressive:  The Vikings were the class of the NFC throughout the 70’s.  They won the NFC Central 10 out of 11 years from ’68 to ’78.  In that timeframe they went to 4 Super Bowls (’69, ’73, ’74, ’76).  They had many Hall of Fame players (Fran Tarkenton, Ron Yary, Mick Tinglehoff, Alan Page, Carl Eller, Paul Krause).  The one year they didn’t win their division was ’72, when the Packers did.  And the Packers did it by going to Minnesota at the end of the season, with the division title on the line, and though the Vikings led that game 7-0 at halftime, the Packers shut them out in the second half and went on to win convincingly 23-7.  The single most significant regular season win between 1968 and 1992.
  • Those that even remember the Packers ’72 team typically think first of the strength of their running game, with John Brockington and MacArthur Lane.  And certainly it was one of the best in the NFL at the time.  But most have no idea how good the Packers defense was that year.  The Super Bowl winning, perfect season Dolphins had the #1 defense in ’72 (based on yards given up).  The #2 defense in the NFL that year:  Shockingly, the Packers.  You can count on one hand how many times the Packers have been ranked in the top 5 defenses in the last 50+ years.  That’s how good the Packers defense was that year.  Bob Brown and Mike McCoy were stalwarts on the defensive line, with Alden Roche but especially Clarence Williams providing pass rush.  The LB corps of Dave Robinson, Jim Carter and Fred Carr was superb.  But the best unit on defense was the secondary, led by at that time the best set of CBs in the league in Ken Ellis and the Packers ’72 #1 pick and Defensive Rookie of the Year Willie Buchanon.  Along with S’s Al Mathews and Jim Hill, that secondary gave up only 7 passing touchdowns the entire season – which was the least in the NFL that year.
  • Consider that the Packers accomplished what they did in ’72 in spite of losing arguably the best player on the entire team to injury.  Though OLB Dave Robinson is in the Hall of Fame and was a major contributor to making the defense what it was, he was no longer in his prime.  Pound for pound the best player on that ’72 team was Guard Gale Gillingham.  Yet he, along with 1970 #1 pick TE Rich McGeorge, were both lost for the year during the second game of the season.  Without these two players, and led only by a 6th round pick at QB in his second year (Scott Hunter), the offense still was effective enough to contribute mightily to that 10-4 record – largely on the running of Brockington and Lane, and the extraordinary kicking of rookie revelation Chester Marcol.
  • It’s a fascinating storyline, by the way, that Bart Starr, the Packers famous ‘17th round pick out of Alabama in ’56, was now the QBs coach of the ’72 Packers, molding Scott Hunter, a 6th round pick out of Alabama in ‘71
  • Also, the ’72 team overcame what history would suggest was by far the very worst head coach the Packers have had in the last 50+ years post-Lombardi.  The players had little respect for Devine, who was in over his head as a long-time college coach in his second year in the NFL.  They won in spite of him, in spite of this enormous handicap.  How many other NFL playoff teams have there ever been where this was the case?
  • And in the spirit of the NFL’s “The Lost Rings” series (most famously led by those aforementioned 70’s Vikings), a compelling argument can be made that the ’72 Packers had a very real chance at winning the Super Bowl that year if Dan Devine had not taken the play calling away from Bart Starr as they took on the Redskins at Washington in the playoffs.  Though Starr had acted as offensive coordinator and called the plays most all season, once the Packers won the division title Devine felt that Starr got too much credit for that success.  So out of jealously and spite, he took over the play calling duties against the Redskins.  And as George Allen deployed a 5 man line to thwart the Packers ground game, Devine refused to implement Starr’s plan to attack it and spent the entire game having Brockington and Lane try to run at it.  As Scott Hunter has explained to me in detail, if Starr had been allowed to call the plays, they were confident they could move the ball against the Redskins.  That confidence was built partly on losing narrowly to the Redskins in late November 21-16 in Washington when rookie QB Jerry Tagge played the majority of the game instead of the injured Scott Hunter and the Redskins took specific advantage of injured CB Ken Ellis’ replacement Ike Thomas to win that game, and by the fact that in spite of the Packers offense doing effectively nothing in the playoff game and the Redskins having the ball seemingly all game long, the Packers defense held the Redskins to only 16 points.  If the Packers had gotten past the Redskins, they would have hosted the Cowboys in Green Bay on December 31st – a team the Packers had beaten earlier that season.  That would have pitted the ’72 Packers against the unbeaten Dolphins.  And though most may understandably scoff, the Packers had beaten the Dolphins in that ’72 Pre-Season when both teams played most all their starters.  The truth is those ’72 Packers matched up very well with that Dolphins team, and quite possibly may have shocked the sports world and re-written NFL History if not for one man’s ineptness and ego.
  • Why do I think this Packers ’72 team is mostly unknown and vastly underappreciated?  A couple of reasons.  First, I believe those that lived through the 70’s prefer to not be reminded how truly awful that decade was for the Packers, made even more painful coming off the dominance they enjoyed under Lombardi throughout the 60’s.  Secondly, they prefer to not be reminded of Dan Devine, who as I mentioned earlier was not only the worst coach the Packers have had in the last 50+ years (and arguably ever), but also the very worst General Manager.  In making what most any NFL observer would rank as the worst trade in NFL history -- when he gave away 2 1’s, 2 2’s and a 3 for 34 year old QB John Hadl -- he doomed the Packers to mediocrity for many years afterwards.  Worse, he made that trade behind the entire Packer organization’s back, the same way he was underhanded and disingenuous in the way he left for Notre Dame at the end of the ’74 season.  He is not only the worst head coach and GM in Packers history, he is the most despised and hated – by both his players and Packers fans.  For all these reasons, the ’72 Packers do not get the credit for what they – the players – achieved.
  • Who would I recommend to interview about that ’72 Packers team and season?  I’d lead with QB Scott Hunter and RB John Brockington from the offense, OLB Dave Robinson and CB Willie Buchanon from the defense.  Other players to consider that were key contributors that season:  C Ken Bowman, DT Mike McCoy, CB Ken Ellis, PK Chester Marcol.  And, of course, Cliff Christl for a historical perspective.

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2022 6:59 PM

Rich, look forward to talking tomorrow.  Some additional background in the meantime:

Cliff Christl (Packers Historian) 4/25/22:  “Steven: Good to hear from you. To start, I'll pass on your suggestion about honoring the team to the higher ups. It's a good idea.” 6/28/22:  “Steve:  Hope all is well. My understanding is that they may bring back some '72 players to maybe be honorary captains, but there's apparently a thought that team celebrations should be limited to league championship teams.”  FYI, Cliff Christl’s take on Packers 1972 team:  “1972 Packers were a talented bunch”  https://www.packers.com/news/1972-packers-were-a-talented-bunch

Scott Hunter (Starting QB of Packers ’72 Team) 2/17/22:  “Steven; FYI…we are lobbying the GB Packer Alumni Director to host a reunion of the ’72 team back for Packer Alumni Weekend this fall. I will keep you posted.” 7/17/22:  “Appears my suggestion didn’t fly….tried.”

Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2022 1:43 PM

Rich, haven’t heard back from Cliff yet, so with two months since my last email to him I just sent him another today.  Will of course let you know what I hear back.  And staying in contact with Scott Hunter, who’s still chasing the Packers Alumni Director.  So lots of irons in this fire!  

Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2022 1:16 PM
To: Steven Schumer <sschumer@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: 1972 PACKERS: 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Steve, that is an interesting idea. Let me do a little research and I will let you know. Any luck with Cliff?

Rich

Richard Ryman

Packers Business Reporter

Office: (920) 431-8342

Mobile: (920) 737-6713

Twitter: @RichRymanPG

greenbaypressgazette.com

packersnews.com

Sent: Monday, June 20, 2022 1:19 PM

Hey Rich, hope this finds you well, hope you had a nice Father’s Day yesterday!  Wanted to know if you had any interest to discuss the attached?  I am trying at minimum to get the Packers to recognize the 50th anniversary of my most favorite of all Packer teams, the 1972 squad.  I am doing that through Cliff Christl, per below (who I’ve known since the early ‘70s), but also have been talking about with Scott Hunter (the QB from that team, who I’ve known for years and who said he’ll raise with the Packers Alumni Director).  At best, I’d be invited to the event to share a fan’s perspective.  And maybe an in-between is you doing a feature article on?  They really were the brightest light in the 20 years of the entire ‘70s and ‘80s decades, and yet a Packers team few really know about, i.e. post-Lombardi and pre-Favre.

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 2:49 PM
To: Cliff Christl (history@packers.com) <history@packers.com>

Cliff, thanks not only for the fast reply but taking the time to share all your great insights.  Ate it all up!  I so appreciate your not only passing on my suggestion to the higher ups, but also asking around about game footage from that year.  No rush on.  But can’t tell you how much it would mean to me to have an opportunity – if any of that exists – to view it somehow/someday.  I’d come to Green Bay just to do that if allowed.  Either way, thanks in advance for following through on these things.  And very much look forward to those additional articles you’ll be writing soon.  Thanks again Cliff!

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 2:09 PM
To: Steven Schumer <sschumer@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: 1972 PACKERS: 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Steven:  Good to hear from you. You raise a lot of good questions. To start, I'll pass on your suggestion about honoring the team to the higher ups. It's a good idea. I'm heading back to GB later this week and I'll ask around about game footage. One, as I understand it, NFL Films controls all video so that kind of shuts the door to that possibility. Plus, the video guys really have no offseason anymore – with draft preparation, offseason workouts, etc. – so I don't request anything from them that would take time away from their job.  I have been working on the 1970s bios and that's the plan for me moving forward: To complete all of our Hall of Fame bios and a couple of other projects. So those bios will be my Thursday posts, although I have interviewed some of the people you mentioned and hope to interview some more.  As for your summary of that team, I agree with many things you wrote. And I believe the team's biggest weakness was the coaching. But I also believe in the playoffs, your weaknesses get exploited and you need stars to step up. So I'm not so sure that team had the ability to go any further in the playoffs.  No doubt, the Packers could pound the ball. But Scott Hunter told me once that even when Starr was calling the plays, the plan was to play conservatively even on the opponents' side of the 50. Take no risks and set Marcol up for FGs. Hunter had a shoulder injury in college and he was limited. Plus, Dale was over the hill and Glass was marginal at best. And Garrett caught four passes as a starting tight end. Brockington was the offensive star, but his average dropped from 5.1 to 3.7. And the team's best offensive player – Gillingham – was hurt and his sub, Malcolm Snider, was also marginal at best. Lot of weaknesses on offense and Allen exposed them and I think he would have no matter who was calling plays.  Defensively, it was a good team. Buchanon was a shutdown corner as a rookie. Bob Brown was often unblockable. Carr was maybe at his peak. Robinson was smart and still good. Roche and Carter were underrated. Jim Hill was the weak link. He didn't tackle anyone. That was a glaring liability.

Cliff

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 10:44 AM
To: Cliff Christl (history@packers.com) history@packers.com
Subject: 1972 PACKERS: 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Cliff, been a while, hope this finds you and yours all doing well!  Had a couple of questions I wanted to run by you regarding the 1972 Packers:

• As that team was my childhood favorite, I much loved reading your perspective on them a year ago:  “1972 Packers were a talented bunch”  https://www.packers.com/news/1972-packers-were-a-talented-bunch  I know I’m biased, but what always fascinated me about that team was my strong belief that if Devine had allowed Starr to call the plays in that Redskins playoff game, I think the Packers not only would have won, but would have then beaten the Cowboys in the NFC Championship Game at home (as they had done earlier that season) and had a great chance to upset the Dolphins in the Super Bowl.
  • As this year marks that team’s 50th anniversary – and considering it was one of only two teams of the entire 70’s and 80’s to make the playoffs (along with the ’82 team in that strike-shortened season) – any plans you know of by the Packers to commemorate that special team and season?  Anything you personally plan to do, write about them/that season, etc?
  • Perhaps you’ve already been doing that, as I have always thoroughly enjoyed reading your “Profiling the Past” and related articles at https://www.packers.com/news/cliff-christl-history, and have absolutely noted a number you’ve done from that team, like John Brockington, Carroll Dale, Rich McGeorge, Gale Gillingham, Ken Bowman, Bill Lueck, Dick Himes, Clarence Williams, Mike McCoy, Fred Carr, Dave Robinson, Willie Buchanon, Ken Ellis and Chester Marcol.  A few more I’d love to read your take on (in priority order):  MacArthur Lane, Scott Hunter, Bob Brown and Jim Carter.  Maybe Jim Hill and Al Matthews.  Thought Lane’s running that year was as good as Brockington’s, but he also led the Packers in receiving, and his blocking for Brockington was a critical success factor.  The fact he was traded straight up for legend Donny Anderson makes his story all the more interesting.  Hunter guiding the Packers that year to a divisional championship in only his second year under Starr’s tutelage was memorable.  Brown was a key reason that defense was #1 in the NFC that year, #2 in the NFL only behind the Super Bowl champ Dolphins.  Carter dealt with having to replace Nitschke and the ire of many fans, but became a darn good MLB in his own right.  Hill and Matthews at safety, along with Buchanon and Ellis at corner, formed perhaps the best secondary in the NFL that year.  All good stories perhaps to consider?
  • Cliff, other than the annual half hour highlight film NFL Films produces every year, are you aware of any other video that exists of that team and season?  I would love to view the full game replay for many games from that year, most especially the late season wins over the Lions and Vikings that clinched the division, but as well the great comeback against the Lions on Monday Night Football, the early season upset of the Cowboys, the exciting mid-season win over the 49ers, and more.  I don’t believe any of that exists anywhere, do you?  Other than those season highlights, an NFL Game of the Week segment on that Vikings game, and short snips of each game from This Week In The NFL, I’ve never found anything.  I thought if anyone might know, it might be you Cliff.   

All that said, I take a step back and can’t believe it’s been 50 years since I watched that team on my TV as a 15 year old in New Jersey.  Have known you about as long, met you right around that time.  So nice to be able to reflect back with you now about that era, all these years later.  Will welcome your take on any and all of the above when you find the time.  Thank you my friend.

Attachments

Last edited by sschumer - Packer Fan HoF'r
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While I didn’t read the whole post, I’ve always found the 1972 team interesting because I was alive for it but have zero memory of it.  I was only 3 years old when they won that title 😀.

If they haven’t been celebrated by the Pack  yet this year, hopefully they eventually will. Good luck to SSchumer and kudos to him

Another great team that has a 25 year anniversary this year is the 1997 Super Bowl runner up.  I would imagine they would not be celebrated as that loss to Denver in Super Bowl XXXII was painful for many.  It sucks because I loved that team but as we’ve rehashed many times, 1 really bad 4th quarter did them in and they failed to add another title to Titletown.

That 72 team was my first real memory of the Packers but only vaguely and only the playoff game.  I was 5 years old at the time and the only thing I did was when watching football was root for the team in the dark jerseys.  Well the Redskins wore red jerseys that day and I remember getting yelled at about it.

Thank you so much for posting this and I agree with Thunderbird!

@michiganjoe posted:

Really liked the team and hated the coach. My dislike of Devine has only increased through the years.

Oh man that trade ruined a good part of my childhood to be honest.  He gave up FIVE draft picks for a 34 year old QB who I guess wasn't even starting at the time and most thought was washed up.  I googled this trade and did you know the Packers almost had Archie Manning in a trade?  It was almost a done deal but the other QB in New Orleans got hurt so that trade fell through. 

Heckler, you're spot on.  Cliff Christl tells that story of just how very close we came to getting Manning here:  https://www.packers.com/news/t...ugh-in-1974-16871671  And one of the sad ironies of the Hadl trade is the Packers had just beaten Hadl and the Rams convincingly in Milwaukee the week before 17-6, when Hadl played like crap:  https://www.pro-football-refer...res/197410130gnb.htm Devine nonetheless, the very next week, behind everyone's back in the organization, gives up 2 1's, 2 2's and a 3 for a washed-up, 34 year old QB.  Worst trade in NFL history.

@The Heckler posted:

Oh man that trade ruined a good part of my childhood to be honest.  He gave up FIVE draft picks for a 34 year old QB who I guess wasn't even starting at the time and most thought was washed up.  I googled this trade and did you know the Packers almost had Archie Manning in a trade?  It was almost a done deal but the other QB in New Orleans got hurt so that trade fell through.

The Hadl trade was by far the worst one of all the Devine moves, but it was a continuation of escalating panic moves to find Starr's successor.

In 1972 they drafted Tagge 11th overall in the 1st round. For his career, he threw 3 TDs against 17 interceptions.

Before the 1973 season, they must have known Tagge sucked, because they gave up a 2nd rounder in 1973 and a 2nd rounder in 1975 to trade for Jim Del Gaizo. he managed to throw 2 TDs against 6 interceptions for the Packers.

And then Hadl was obtained for 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, and a third rounder. Hadl managed 9 TDs against 29 interceptions for the Packers.

They did manage to flip Hadl for Lynn Dickey in a one for one trade, so at least they got a decent QB from that.

But the overall damage in trying to find a QB from 1972 to 1977 was 3 first rounders, 4 second rounders, and 1 third round pick. The output was 11 TDS and 52 interceptions.

https://steveprestegard.com/20...on-in-world-history/

https://phinphanatic.com/2020/...ers-in-these-trades/

Last edited by MichiganPacker

MichiganPacker, that is not only an excellent summary, but man, one of the most depressing Packer-related things ever.  How incredibly inept and unlucky we were trying to find a competent QB.  Those that lived through those years, as I did, were therefore beyond stunned to land a HOF QB in Favre, to be followed by another in Rodgers.  Guess the NFL Gods felt a bit bad about what they made us go through post-Starr, tried to make it up to us!     

Heckler, you're spot on.  Cliff Christl tells that story of just how very close we came to getting Manning here:  https://www.packers.com/news/t...ugh-in-1974-16871671  And one of the sad ironies of the Hadl trade is the Packers had just beaten Hadl and the Rams convincingly in Milwaukee the week before 17-6, when Hadl played like crap:  https://www.pro-football-refer...res/197410130gnb.htm Devine nonetheless, the very next week, behind everyone's back in the organization, gives up 2 1's, 2 2's and a 3 for a washed-up, 34 year old QB.  Worst trade in NFL history.

The Vikings-Cowboys trade was even worse.

Devine being HC and GM screwed up everything (as did Mike Sherman years later).

Born in '61 and have no memory of Lombardi's Packers. Still, as a 9 or 10 year old, the Packers became my team. That '72 season was great as it finally gave me something over one of my best friends,  who was a Viking fan. Little did I know I'd have Little to root for for another 20+ years, save for the explosive Dickey-Lofton-Jefferson-Coffman offenses. Still remember getting a Brockington #42 sweatshirt for Christmas.

RochNYFan, thanks for sharing that.  Born in '56, relate so well to all of it!  My first Packer jersey was #42 for Brockington.  It has remained my go-to home jersey to this day.  My away go-to has always been #28 for Willie Buchanon.

Spent most of that time period playing Air Force overseas. Did not get much Packer news back then. Probably for the better. But I relished every little bit of news that came my way. Always hoped for the best in the grimmest of times back then when news was scarce about the Pack. But I did really enjoy my overseas adventures. Fond memories.

Whenever the Packers play at Washington I think of that '72 season and that bitter playoff loss.  It'll never make up for it, but I love it whenever we win there.  On the 50th anniversary of that '72 team and season, and really needing it, I'm especially hoping we can win today.  Go Pack! 

@DurangoDoug posted:

Spent most of that time period playing Air Force overseas. Did not get much Packer news back then. Probably for the better. But I relished every little bit of news that came my way. Always hoped for the best in the grimmest of times back then when news was scarce about the Pack. But I did really enjoy my overseas adventures. Fond memories.

DurangoDang, don't have the Air Force part in common, but in trying to follow the Packers while living in New Jersey, relate 100% to everything else you said.

In 1966 I went from small town Wisconsin where every game was on our local tv, where sometimes the Milwaukee channel came in better than the Madison channel to the Coast Guard in New Jersey.  Come football season, lo and behold , no Packer game.  I was shocked, for some provincial reason I thought the Pack was the only game in town.  I subscribed to the Wisconsin State Journal just to keep up…..and read Roundy Coughlin.

Pikes Peak, I can relate!  To follow the Packers while living in New Jersey, in the very early 70's I started subscribing to the Green Bay Press-Gazette.  Read Cliff Christl.  The paper would arrive about 4 days after the publishing date, but reading that sports section was the only real Packers news and insights I could get. 

I was in CA in the 70's and had to get Nitschke's Packer Report a week after the fact because I was too cheap to pay first class postage.
All at once the BIG dish receivers came along and a few of the beach cities bars started showing Packer games. 

@DurangoDoug posted:

I was overseas on the Air Force in the 1980s and we had to wait until the Stars and Stripes newspaper came out in Tuesday to get the NFL scores.  I can remember very vividly cringing before I opened the sports section because I knew what the news was going to be.  The other thing I waited for was my Dad would record some of the radio broadcasts for me so I could listen to the games.  It might be 10 days after but it was still freaking awesome.

I was born in 1966 and grew up about 20 minutes from GB. So I have no memory of the glory years and I have spotty memories of the Packers until probably about 1976 or so.  My biggest memory probably is that those 70s and 80s teams really had to hope or expectations.  It was so bad that when I was in grade school everyone rooted for other teams besides the Packers.  For Christmas one year my mom got me a Packers stocking cap for Christmas and I remember asking my Mom if I really had to wear it.  Sad story but true.

Last edited by The Heckler

bvan, I remember getting the very first Packer Report published and it was like manna from heaven.  I did pay for first class postage, and many times it still took a full week to arrive!  But between that and getting the Green Bay Press-Gazette daily (4 days later), I was in good shape.  Didn't though find any sports bars with a dish showing Packer games until 1989.  So for basically the entire decades of the 70's and 80's for me, it was GBPG and Packer Report with one or two Packer games a year on TV, usually Monday Night Football, rarely a Sunday national game.

Born in 1969. Growing up, I'd get the Packer yearbook every year and dutifully keep track of the roster and write scores in every week. Our family had season tickets so I'd get to go to a preseason game and one regular-season game a year (the tickets were split among several cousins).

The most excitement back then was the buzz around Eddie Lee Ivery in his first training camp in 1979. He looked like a superstar in the preseason games. And then he blew his knee out on that shitty Soldier Field turf 3 carries into his regular season career and was never the same. I was only 10 years old, but remember when it happened and. how completely deflated we all were in the room when that happened. The Packers looked like they would have a HOF RB and a HOF WR (Lofton) and then it was just more of the same. Like the Lynn Dickey broken leg a couple of years before.

Best game of that era was probably the win on MNF over a very good Redskin team, 47-45.

MichiganPacker, you're so right about Eddie Lee Ivery.  Injuries to key players like him just killed us in the 70's and 80's.  I started this thread about that '72 team.  The #1 reason they went downhill the next year was because they not only lost OLB Dave Robinson from that #1 NFC ranked defense, but when CB Willie Buchanon -- our best defensive player -- went down with a broken leg and was lost for the year, the entire defense then collapsed.  We were horribly snake bitten in those two decades, as related well here:

The Packers' deflating injuries of the 1970s & '80s:  https://www.packers.com/news/t...e-1970s-80s-18943573

MichiganPacker, you're so right about Eddie Lee Ivery.  Injuries to key players like him just killed us in the 70's and 80's.  I started this thread about that '72 team.  The #1 reason they went downhill the next year was because they not only lost OLB Dave Robinson from that #1 NFC ranked defense, but when CB Willie Buchanon -- our best defensive player -- went down with a broken leg and was lost for the year, the entire defense then collapsed.  We were horribly snake bitten in those two decades, as related well here:

The Packers' deflating injuries of the 1970s & '80s:  https://www.packers.com/news/t...e-1970s-80s-18943573

Thanks for the link to that article.

I'd forgotten about Tim Lewis - very similar to the Nick Collins injury. Lewis was outstanding three years into his career and the Packers cratered to 4 wins after winning 8 the previous year.  The Collins' injury might have cost the Packers another Super Bowl title and Collins a shot at the HOF (given he was a Pro-Bowler the previous three years).

Born in 53 . Remember all this as well. SE GA, hard to get Packer News. My sister in law got me a subscription for the Packer Report, I absolutely loved it!

Jumped and touched our ceiling for the very first time,left a soot mark, when Bart snuck it in during the ICE BOWL !!! My dad painted a circle around it when he painted the ceiling the next year !!!!     

Guys, really enjoying all these comments about how many of you, like me, 50 years later still well remember the '72 team and the down decades of the 70's and 80's in general, but as well how challenged those of us who lived outside Wisconsin were in trying to follow the Packers.  Along those lines, thought you might appreciate the write-up my son Adam submitted for my Packer Fan Hall of Fame nomination back in 2014 that touched on many of these things it seems many of you did as well!

I would like to nominate my dad, Steve Schumer, who’s 57, been a die-hard Packers fan for almost 50 years and lived his entire life in NJ.  In the ‘70s and ‘80s there was no Internet, no DirecTV, little Packers news in the NJ/NY papers, and they were very rarely on television here.  These are some of the great lengths my dad went to to follow his team during that time:

• He got the Green Bay Press-Gazette mailed daily to his home, arriving usually 5-7 days later, and successfully escalated to the U.S. Postmaster General to get the service improved to 3-4 days!
  • In the ‘70s, way before you could purchase the annual highlight film, my dad would write the Packers requesting they loan it to him, which they always did. He would borrow a 16mm projector from his school and watch the film on his living room wall!
  • While in college in the mid-‘70s, he did an independent research study about the effects television had on the NFL. The highlight was when he was allowed onto the set of CBS’ NFL Today show in NYC, and found out there was a room where he could watch any game in the country.  So he of course watched the Packers, and did so many times that season.  He was likely the only Packers fan on the East Coast who was seeing those games then!
  • One time in the late ‘70s the Packers were playing the Redskins in a pre-season game in Green Bay. Just so he could see his team on TV, he drove 5 hours to Washington, DC and checked into a small hotel right before kickoff.  After watching the game in his room, he checked out around midnight – shocking the front desk clerk -- and drove home!
  • In high school he began a long-lasting friendship via phone with Shirley Leonard, who worked for many years in the Packers Public Relations department. When VCRs became available in the early ‘80s, Shirley agreed to tape every game at home and send them to him the next day!
  • The license plate on my dad’s car for decades has been “PACKERS” – the only official one in the State of NJ!

Of course, my dad raised me to be a Packers fan.  He took me to my first Packers game in Green Bay when I was 8, and has taken me almost every year since.  We’ve now been to Lambeau 14 times together.  A few years ago, he took me out there for the NFL Draft.  People were shocked we had flown out from NJ just to experience the draft from the atrium!

Things got a lot easier in the ‘90s via sports bars, home satellite and the Internet.  But it’s mostly how fervently and uniquely he followed the Packers from NJ in the ‘70s and ‘80s – as well as his unwavering loyalty during those tough years -- that I think makes him deserving to be in the Packers Fan Hall of Fame!

@Packiderm posted:

That Game of the Week video was great! Alan Page having a fit and storming off the field. Then all of a sudden one of the players launching Page's helmet towards the sideline!

Packiderm, agree that was great.  Have never seen multiple penalties like that called on the same player consecutively!

@michiganjoe posted:

Really liked the team and hated the coach. My dislike of Devine has only increased through the years.

michiganjoe, meant to ask you, curious specifically why your dislike of Devine has only increased through the years?

I was living in a large South American city in the mid 80’s.  I subscribed to Packer Report to get news of the Packers.  It usually arrived 4-5 days after game day.  The funniest thing I discovered was when one issue arrived, there were 2 others inside addressed to 2 different people in the city of Maracay.  One was a Catholic priest - so I hand delivered it to him! And met a Latino who had never been to WI but was  diehard Packer fan.  😂

• One time in the late ‘70s the Packers were playing the Redskins in a pre-season game in Green Bay. Just so he could see his team on TV, he drove 5 hours to Washington, DC and checked into a small hotel right before kickoff.  After watching the game in his room, he checked out around midnight – shocking the front desk clerk -- and drove home!

Only Packers fans will understand that right there and that is HOF material. 

This site is old and bit tough to read but it pretty much sums up the dark years:

http://www.the-kramerfamily.co...CKERS-GORYYEARS.html

I think many Packers fans who IMHO have become spoiled should be required to read this and realize that this year sucks sure but it could be a LOT worse.

I was living in a large South American city in the mid 80’s.  I subscribed to Packer Report to get news of the Packers.  It usually arrived 4-5 days after game day.  The funniest thing I discovered was when one issue arrived, there were 2 others inside addressed to 2 different people in the city of Maracay.  One was a Catholic priest - so I hand delivered it to him! And met a Latino who had never been to WI but was  diehard Packer fan.  😂

I also subscribed to the Packer Report,  as well as the Press-Gazette- both arriving several days late.  That was pre internet, so news about the Packers was scarce in Rochester NY.

@The Heckler posted:

Only Packers fans will understand that right there and that is HOF material.

This site is old and bit tough to read but it pretty much sums up the dark years:

http://www.the-kramerfamily.co...CKERS-GORYYEARS.html

I think many Packers fans who IMHO have become spoiled should be required to read this and realize that this year sucks sure but it could be a LOT worse.

There are many factors as to why the Packers struggled for 20 years, but what was true back in the 70s is still true today. The biggest factor for sustained success (at least being a playoff contender every year) is how good your QB is. It' more important than the coaching or the general manager.

For 467 of the last 487 regular-season games and all 43 of their playoff games in the last 30 years, the Packers have started a top 10 QB all-time.

In the 20 games that Rodgers or Favre didn't start in the last 30 years, the Packers are 6-13-1. If you include the games that Rodgers got knocked out of early,

Chicago (Hillibrand) MNF injury, Minnesota (Barr) injury, Detroit concussion 2010; Detroit final game of season 2018,

the Packers are 6-17-1 without Favre or Rodgers playing throughout the game. That winning percentage (27%) is actually significantly worse than the winning percentage from 1973-1991 (101-160-2 for 39%).

Outside of the last game of 2011 when Flynn started in place of Rodgers (last game of the season (Packers and Lions resting guys for the playoffs) the Packers have never beaten a team with a winning record in the last 30 years without Favre or Rodgers starting. In the other 5 games they won (Flynn was 3-3 and Hundley was 3-6), the combined season records of the teams they beat were 22-58.

We are spoiled, but it's mostly because of how good the QB has been. Whether you think a lot of people whine without justification for "only" having won two titles in 31 years with that level of QBing is the type of thing we debate on this board.

Last edited by MichiganPacker

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.