Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Underrated most exhilarating end to a GB playoff game.  AT the time, Favre was still coming into his own and Packer fans had completely forgotten what it was like to win a playoff game, much less in the last seconds.  And topped off with one of the best TD celebrations: Sharpe just standing in the end zone motionless, soaking it all in.

Watching that game made me appreciate more how Arod is careful with the ball. And it cemented WHY Sharpe is not in the HOF. He mentioned how he never talked to the press but showed up after that game to take questions. Sadly, media availability and reputation count for more than they should in that particular voting process, and he's always been prickly with the press.

@DH13 posted:

Underrated most exhilarating end to a GB playoff game.  AT the time, Favre was still coming into his own and Packer fans had completely forgotten what it was like to win a playoff game, much less in the last seconds.  And topped off with one of the best TD celebrations: Sharpe just standing in the end zone motionless, soaking it all in.

I didn't forget what a playoff win was I didn't even know what that was.  I was born at the tail end of the Lombardi years so I only remember one playoff win and that was the strike shortened year (1981?).  1993 was truly the first playoff win that I considered legit in my lifetime.  I can remember watching that ending thinking "holy chit the Packers won a playoff game!"  

Same here though I do remember the 1983 win over STL vaguely.  But that seemed like a different era and kind of cheap because of the strike.  I didn't think the Packers had quite arrived yet after that win in DET because they were still herky jerky as a team and Favre was still flailing all over the place, even with all the wow throws.  They were still rebuilding and finding their legs.

@The Heckler posted:

I didn't forget what a playoff win was I didn't even know what that was.  I was born at the tail end of the Lombardi years so I only remember one playoff win and that was the strike shortened year (1981?).  1993 was truly the first playoff win that I considered legit in my lifetime.  I can remember watching that ending thinking "holy chit the Packers won a playoff game!"  

I was pretty much like you.  I am pretty sure I watched the playoff win over the Cardinals in '82/'83 but I'd be lying if I said I actually remember it.  The '93 one I was 24 years old for so I remember it much better.  Favre was just raw as hell at that point but definitely showed glimpses of what was to come.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.