Aaron Rodgers

David Bakhtiari

Backup QBs

Articles:

The Last Word: Packers-Cardinals postgame quotes

Posted by Duke Bobber on August 9, 2013 – 11:39 pm

MM Presser:

(on the performance of Tyrone Walker)

Tyrone Walker obviously had a productive night with his performance, with the five catches. I think he’s an excellent example of the whole wide receiver group. They’ve gone out competitively every day and performed. I thought he definitely took a step tonight.”

Aaron Rodgers:

(on the play of Bakhtiari)

“I didn’t get touched tonight. We had a few dropbacks – I think five attempts – so I’m sure he was pretty good over there. It’s nice when you’re not worried about him and tonight I wasn’t worried about him. He’s a confident kid, I think he’s got a bright future for us. It’s about experience and going against good pass rushers, and next week will be a good challenge with those guys they have in St. Louis.”

(on what he takes away from a game like this)

I think overall, as Mike (McCarthy) said after the game, the energy wasn’t there. You expect, especially with this many young guys playing, a little more energy from some of those second and third groups. We didn’t have that tonight. I don’t know if we’re a little fatigued or not, but we need to bring a little bit extra next week and start to get this thing working the right way.

David Bakhtiari:

(on his personal performance)

“It was a good first game-like scenario. I’m happy where I was, but there’s room to improve. I didn’t feel overwhelmed, that’s probably the best way to put it. ”

(on the biggest difference between practice and the game)

“I think the tempo – there’s not a selected number of plays. It can go anywhere from three plays to I think on the first drive we had 12 plays, so that was probably the biggest thing. Then, obviously being in the stadium in front of 80,000 fans and not hitting our teammates is different.”

(on battling any pregame jitters)

“To be honest, I think I probably had more jitters in college than I did for this game. Like I’ve been preaching earlier this week, I’ve just kind of been trying to keep a level head and keep a calm mind about it – just playing my game and just playing left tackle. I felt good out there, so I’m going to continue to keep that kind of mindset going forward.”

(on if tonight’s game was a confidence booster for him)

“Of course. It definitely makes me feel more comfortable and definitely makes me believe more in myself, but it’s only one half of one preseason game. I still need to get a full game in and see how I can do through four quarters.”

Jonathan Franklin:

(on his experience with the Packers)

“It’s been great. Alex (Green) is like my big brother and everybody else is so great and so welcoming. They’re so willing to teach us and help us learn.” continue

Two Packers rookies show they belong

by Mike Spofford on Saturday, August 10th, 2013

Linemate Josh Sitton, who plays next to Bakhtiari at left guard, said the rookie was “100 percent on his assignments,” while Rodgers said he wasn’t “worried about him.” continue

Last edited by titmfatied
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Photography:

ARI vs GB

Packers hit ground slowly while being shut out in preseason opener

by Bob McGinn on Friday, August 9th, 2013

Offensive trends come and go, but first down forever has been the telltale down in the National Football League. If you're a good running team, you will run, and will run effectively, on first down.

Generally speaking, the Packers haven't done either in coach Mike McCarthy's eight seasons.

Against the Cardinals, the Packers rushed on their first nine first-down plays. The net of 25 yards (2.8 average) wasn't anything to write home about, but the commitment was stunning, to say the least.

Ranked 20th in rushing last year and a disappointing ninth in total yards, the Packers apparently view improved rushing as the key to improved offense and being competitive with NFC power teams such as San Francisco and Seattle. continue

6 Answers From Last Night’s Game

Posted by Michael Rodney at 12:35 pm

1) Does Johnny Jolly have anything left?
It was nice to see No. 97 back on the field for the first time in over three years, but as expected, he’s rusty. While he did make a few plays in the second half against guys who’ll be working at Target next month, he didn’t accomplish much in the first 30 minutes against legitimate NFL offensive linemen. He seems to be carrying some bad weight and he doesn’t have the initial thrust he had prior to being suspended. He’s not going to beat out C.J. Wilson, so unless injuries pop up or the Packers decide to keep seven defensive linemen, I don’t see this comeback story having a happy ending. Things might’ve been a whole lot different had he had more time to prepare for training camp.

3) Will David Bakhtiari continue his strong play?
So far so good for the rookie. He looked pretty darn solid for a 21-year-old making his first NFL start in front of 73,738 fans. There’s no question that his lack of size and strength will be an issue at times this season, but his technique and balance are so good that he should be able to hold his own against most defensive linemen. And while he works to finish off his blocks better than any tackle since Ross Verba, he’s probably a year in the weight room away from turning that effort into consistent results. All in all, he was one of the few positives from last night. continue

Lots more past the click

Photography:

ARI vs GB

Notebook: Bakhtiari has a solid half at left tackle

by Weston Hodkiewicz on Friday, August 9th, 2013

The most valuable lesson came before Friday’s game when Sitton calmed some of Bakhtiari’s pre-game jitters. He reminded the rookie that this also was his first game since switching to left guard from right guard.

By the time the first-team offensive line’s night of work was over following an 11-play, 76-yard no-huddle drive in which Rodgers went untouched, Bakhtiari and Sitton had the look of a well-timed unit.

“He’s shown during the course of training camp he can play there,” Sitton said. “He can win most of his blocks and that’s what he did tonight.

“He’s about as smart as they come in knowing the playbook, so we went through the install together (on Thursday) just me and him to make sure he was 100 percent and he is. He’ll be just fine.” continue

Looking at the highlights, Patrick Peterson, a burner (4.27 40), got run down by Tyrone Walker.

Kid is a football player. Count him in the 53, 'cause, short of an injury, he's going to be on the final roster.

Originally Posted by Johnny Z:

Looking at the highlights, Patrick Peterson, a burner (4.27 40), got run down by Tyrone Walker.

Kid is a football player. Count him in the 53, 'cause, short of an injury, he's going to be on the final roster.

FTFY

Thanks as always for the posts, Tit.

BTW: In the second one, your URL for the photo has a square bracket where it should have an open parenthesis, which is why it isn't showing up.  (I presume you wanted the photo of Bakhtiari blocking Campbell?)

So MM doesnt have any news regarding Datone Jones heath. Sure. I imagine he doesnt even remember he is GB top pick and the long waited answer for a struggling Defense the past seasons. Why wasting anytime in asking the trainer or the doctors!

maybe tomorrow they will leave a post-it saying: Btw coach the guy Jones is out for the year! Wana go bowling coach?

cmon MM who beleives the crap you say

Originally Posted by titmfatied:
Jonathan Franklin:

(on his experience with the Packers)

“It’s been great. Alex (Green) is like my big brother and everybody else is so great and so welcoming. They’re so willing to teach us and help us learn.”

Brainwashed!!!

Eric Baranczyk analysis: Offensive line holding back running game

Green Bay Press Gazette

by Erici Baranczyk

Johnathan Franklin is a quick, fast guy, and if you wondered why he didn’t have any explosive plays — the Packers’ halfbacks averaged 2.7 yards a carry — it was because of the blocking.

It’s not like the whole line is falling apart, but one or two pieces do on too many plays. A few plays illustrate the point.

One was with 2:30 left in the first quarter. It was a double- tight end and I-formation backfield, a classic running formation for the Packers.

Left tackle David Bakhtiari and the tight end get good push, everything looks great except that left guard, undrafted rookie Patrick Lewis, who gets pushed back. That knocks fullback John Kuhn off track as the lead blocker because has to go around Lewis.

Franklin has the ball and has to go around Lewis, too, and what could have been a big play is only a 4-yard gain.

Three plays later, same formation. Tight end Matthew Mulligan blocks well, the guards and center (Lewis, Lane Taylor andGreg Van Roten) are blocking, and there’s a beautiful alley for Franklin.

Except right tackle Marshall Newhouse can’t block his guy. Franklin has to bend the run back into the pursuit and is tackled for a 3-yard gain.

If Newhouse at least stalemates his guy, that’s a 10- or 15-yard run, the lane is there. continue

Lots, lots more past the click. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.