Skip to main content

Photography:

Training Camp practice: Day 3

Video:

MM Presser

Day 3 Wrap Up (Around the locker room, practice footage)Olivia Harlan and Vic Ketchman on Day 3
Johnny Jolly

Datone Jones

Articles:

News & notes from Day 3

packers.com

by Mike Spofford on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

No update:

McCarthy didn’t have any further update on the leg injuries that knocked WRs Charles Johnson and Kevin Dorsey out of practice on Saturday. Neither practiced on Sunday. McCarthy did say he’s been told neither injury is serious.

In other injury news, CB Tramon Williams was held out towards the end of practice because his knee was bothering him, McCarthy said.

Ups and downs: That final play of practice capped an up-and-down day for Nixon, a holdover from last year’s practice squad. Early in the workout, Nixon muffed a kickoff return. Later, he made a nice play breaking up a slant pass to rookie WR Alex Gillett, and then he made his big splash, intercepting a Rodgers pass intended for rookie WR Tyrone Walker. Had he been able to break up that last pass to Boykin, he would have been heralded as the star of the day, despite the early kickoff fumble.

Better hands: Safety Morgan Burnett, who received a multi-year contract extension prior to the start of camp, said he’s already put his payday behind him and he’s working on improving in his fourth season, particularly with his hands.

“A couple times last year I had my hand on the ball, but it was either a tip or it went through my hands,” he said. “Now I’m getting to where I’m putting myself in the right position to make those plays, and when the ball hits my hand, try to catch it, and make sure I’m good with my technique, and my tackling.”

Doing it all: Never let it be said LB Clay Matthews isn’t a complete player. Known for his tough run defense and pass rush, Matthews on Sunday dropped well off the line of scrimmage into coverage, read the quarterback and then got a hand on a slant pass to WR Jeremy Ross, tipping it just enough to break it up. continue

Physical Packers at fever pitch in full-pads practice

packers.com

by Vic ketchman on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

“The effort and energy were excellent. Adrenaline was very high and discipline was very low. They definitely reacted with an edge, but we have too many extracurricular activities,” Head Coach Mike McCarthy said.

Sunday’s practice also included a session in which Graham Harrell quarterbacked the scout team in a half-speed read-option scheme against the Packers defense.

Most of all, Sunday’s practice was about heightened intensity.

“Our guys came out on the high side of playing with an edge, and that’s what we want,” McCarthy said. “I’m sure it had something to do with the head coach’s speech the other night.”

Execution wasn’t crisp, but that was also a compromise McCarthy was willing to accept.

“I didn’t expect a great practice. We started our climb to where we needed to go,” he said. continue

Defensive line brings physical attitude to camp

packers.com

by Mike Spofford on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

“The guys are really bringing a different attitude out there, and it’s welcome,” second-year lineman Mike Daniels said. “We need it. Just keep on getting more mean, more violent out there, and we should see some good things.”

“It’s football,” said first-round draft pick Datone Jones. “If you’re a true competitor, you’re going to get in a scuffle, because you don’t want anyone getting the best of you.”

...he’s paired with Raji as an inside rusher with the No. 1 nickel, a spot he says he’s “comfortable” with, having played it throughout his college career at UCLA.

Jones put an impressive bull rush against T.J. Lang in drills on Sunday that appeared to catch the veteran guard a bit by surprise. Jones said it was his way of mixing up his moves, even on the first day in pads.

“Just showing my coach what I could do, that I can be very aggressive,” he said. “I’m not just a finesse guy.” continue

Past the click much more on the d-line including quotes from Jolly.   James Jones seems to be taking over the leadership role for the WRs based on his quotes from the first three days

Last edited by titmfatied
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Packers practice gets nasty as defense tries to establish an edge

by Tom Silverstein on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

...The theme of the day was don't rough up my teammate or I'll rough up you.

Of course, they're all teammates, but when offense and defense go against one another certain primal instincts take over.

"It's pretty common," guard Josh Sitton said. "I haven't hit anybody in awhile. Defense is fired up and they're trying to finish and stupid plays happen. People get tackled. Offensive linemen, our job is to protect our guys. That's why we're running down there."

Sitton cursed a blue streak as he walked back to the huddle after one skirmish, threatening to take on cornerbacks coach Joe Whittand his entire unit, who had been riding him about the linemen taking liberties on defensive players. continue

Jones downplays Jennings comments about Rodgers

by Tom Silverstein on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

Jones said he hadn't heard about the Jennings comments until reporters asked him about it because he isn't active with social media. It's a bit of stretch to think that he hadn't heard anything about it, especially with Rodgers addressing it on the first day of camp.

But he said he truly tries to stay away from this kind of stuff.

"I’m not on Twitter," he said., "I’m not on Facebook. I don’t hear half the comments that are said. I hear them when I come in here (the locker room). So I don’t pay attention to them. We’re here to win football games. We’re not here to follow Greg on Twitter."

Asked about the rivalry with the Vikings and how he might view them now that Jennings is there, Jones gave the standard line: it's important because it's a division game.

"Not because Greg is over there," he said. "I’m not on defense. I don’t even guard Greg, so I ain’t worried about Greg. I’m on offense trying to score some points."

continue

Newhouse's switch from left to right tackle underway

jsonline.com

by Tyler Dunne on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

Newhouse acknowledged his game needs work. His run blocking, for one, “definitely” needed a boost, he said. In the ground game, Newhouse is trying a few new techniques this summer. The trial run in organized team activities helped. But this first week in pads will be the first true test for Newhouse.

On Sunday, he seemed to hold up fine, though Barclay and rookie David Bakhtiari looked sharp in 1-on-1's. Bakhtiari even held off Clay Matthews on one turn. continue

Green Bay Press Gazette:

Photography:

Green Bay Packers training camp practice, July 28, 2013

McCarthy post-practice update: First-round pick Jones stands out in pads

by Rob Demovsky on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

How did you feel about the first padded practice?:

The effort and energy was excellent and the message I had for the team was I thought the adrenaline was very high and the discipline was very low. Practiced with an edge but too much extra-curricular activities going on that falls under player safety.

How did Datone Jones look:

One thing I look for the first time in pads, everyone is different and you look at the way they carry their pads, and I thought Datone looked very good, very comfortable. Good first day.

Who else stood out?:

Too much negative stuff on my brain right now. I don’t have anybody for you right now.

What negative things are on your brain?:

Just the mechanics of practice. Tempo, pace, level of execution you’re trying to attain. Just carrying over from play to play. It’s all about getting that rhythm and timing. Third down and short yardage was the emphasis today.

Is Derek Sherrod getting any closer?:

He’s getting better. I don’t know how close you watch Derek but he’s got his normal stride back. It’s really now the football movements, the loading of a 300 pound man that’s hard to simulate in a rehab workout. Hopefully this is the last hurdle, but I don’t know how long it’s going to take to get over it.

Ahman Green’s role?:

The standard internship, he’s working exclusively with Alex Van Pelt and the running backs. continue

Transcript of the rest of the presser past the click

Packers insider: Thumbs up to Daniels, Thumbs down to scrums

by Pete Dougherty on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

Mike Daniels, a fourth-round draft pick last year, lacks the length (6 feet, 294 pounds) to be more than a backup in the base 3-4 defense, but he flashed some inside pass-rush ability last year and might be one of those players who makes a significant jump in his second NFL season.

In the first padded practice of camp Sunday, Daniels started well in one-on-one pass-rushing drills. He won both of his reps, the first when his bull rush quickly pushed starting center Evan Dietrich-Smith back to the quarterback marker, and the second when he crashed past rookie guard Lane Taylor for what would have been a clean shot at the quarterback.

In the final, no-huddle period of practice, Daniels paired with Jones as the two inside rushers in the No. 1 nickel defense. continue

Lots more past the click...

Newlywed Jolly says he's in a good place

by Mike Vandermause on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

After more than three years away from football, Johnny Jolly says he’s in a good place, both personally and professionally on the Packers roster again.

Jolly spoke in the locker room for 15 minutes today and among other things, said he got married last Monday to a woman he has known since 2010. continue

Burnett has evolved into a leader in Packers' secondary

by Weston Hodkiewicz on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

Tramon Williams has seen an evolution in Burnett’s game, a subtle transformation from talented but soft-spoken prospect to leader in the secondary.“The sky is the limit for Morgan,” said Williams, entering his seventh season at cornerback.

“He’s played out of position at times for us. He’s done a lot of things for the sacrifice of the team and he still finds a way to be productive for us. That says a lot for him. His skill-set by itself is great to me. It’s just time will tell. I see him as an All-Pro player coming up in the future.”

“We’re looking for him to take the next step,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “He’s a key communicator back there, he’s an excellent in-the-box and open-field tackler. And our big thing with Morgan is just make more plays on the ball, and I think we’ll see him do that this year.”

Although Burnett’s only two interceptions last season came in the same game — a 23-14 victory over Minnesota on Dec. 2 — he has more interceptions (six) and forced fumbles (four) than Collins had at this point in his career (four, four). continue

Lots more past the click, probably the best story of the day. Well worth the click

FOX Sports Wisconsin:

Packers training camp report: July 28

by Paul Imig on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

Movin' On Up:
DL Datone Jones

It was a terrific full-pads debut for Jones. While it was difficult for defensive linemen to make much of an impact when the Packers were in shells and shorts for the first two practices, Jones was an instant impact player in pads Sunday.

Early in practice, Jones flew by fullback Jonathan Amosa and crushed Eddie Lacy in the backfield. Later, Jones had a fingertip deflection to break up a pass attempt. In one-on-one blocking drills, Jones "won" all three of his snaps, easily getting by Garth Gerhart, beating Andrew Datko and sneaking by T.J. Lang.

During 11-on-11 team competition, Jones went unblocked around the edge for what would've been a quarterback sack and later narrowly missed a "sack" on Aaron Rodgers.

"I thought Datone looked very good, very comfortable," coach Mike McCarthy said. "He's in good shape and I thought he had a good first day just from what I saw."

continue

Past the click Paul Imig has; a comprehensive injury report, a look at Jarrett Bush's rough day, and the surprising player who may have been the loudest and most vocal on the field. The article also has easily the best notebook from the day.  Well worth the click. 

Johnny Jolly's weight, life, NFL career back on track after prison

by Paul Imig on Sunday, July 28th, 2013

Johnny Jolly wouldn't put a number on it, but the Green Bay Packers' recently reinstated defensive lineman gained a lot of weight over the past three years.

Jolly is now on the right track.

"It was just hard work and dedication and eating right," Jolly said Sunday in the locker room. "(Packers strength and conditioning coordinator) Mark Lovat gave me a diet plan that I should go by and I went with it. I worked out every day and it all fell off. So I'm here today, good shape, the team likes what weight I'm at, likes the shape I'm in, so we're going to roll with it." continue

Audio:

07/28/13 Jason Wilde

Really worth listening to Wilde's camp report from today, imo.  Look for the show with the title of the link when the window opens up.  He called in while practice was going on today.  Interesting thoughts on Jolly and he's pretty open about Jennings and what Jordy said about him. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.