Skip to main content

Photography:

Training Camp practice: Day 4

Video:

MM PRESSERTT PRESSERVic Ketchman and Olivia HarlanEddie LacyRandall CobbDavon House

Atricles:

News & notes: Mike Daniels stands out, Eddie Lacy responds

packers.com

by Mike Spofford on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

–Daniels making strides:

Thus far in camp, DL Mike Daniels might be exhibit A when it comes to players making a big jump from Year 1 to Year 2 in the NFL.

A short, stout lineman (6-0, 294), Daniels has added some muscle and looks visibly bigger this season. He appears to have kept his quick first step off the ball, and it’s helping that he’s no longer wearing the shoulder harness he wore his entire rookie season following surgery at the conclusion of his college career at Iowa.

“I tell you what, it was tough,” Daniels said of playing with the harness, though he did manage two sacks and two fumble recoveries (one for a TD) in a part-time role last year. “Losing full motion with my shoulder, and that thing, it really presses on your stomach, so it’s hard to breathe. It feels good not having to wear it, and I will continue with my rehab so I do not have to wear it again.

“I feel good, I feel loose, I feel much more athletic, and I really feel as though I can get every bit of strength and range of motion out of my arm that I can, that I couldn’t last year.”

“I think Mike Daniels definitely has a lot more pop,” Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. “He’s even playing some of the tougher techniques for his body type better.”

Lacy responds:

Lacy got a lot of work on Tuesday in the red-zone and goal-line periods with a number of inside runs. He pushed the pile at times, looked nimble on his feet at others, and called it his best day of camp thus far.

“I was comfortable with everything,” he said. “I felt like I ran smooth, I made good reads, and I just hit the hole the way I was supposed to.”

Lacy also looked solid in the first one-on-one blitz pick-up drill on Tuesday between the RBs and OLBs. McCarthy admitted the linebackers have the upper hand because there’s no one else around and the running backs are “on an island,” which isn’t necessarily realistic, but Lacy said the disadvantage will only help the running backs in pass protection in the long run.

–Hoop games:

The famous QB hoop made its first appearance at camp on Tuesday. It’s an elevated hoop with a net attached that serves as a target for the QBs on lobs and fade passes from various distances.

In the first go-round, from roughly 15-20 yards away, all three QBs — Aaron Rodgers, Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman — managed to drop one through the hoop and into the net. When they moved back to 40-45 yards or so, Rodgers and Harrell both had rim shots that bounced away, and Coleman had one that went just underneath, but no one got one through the hoop. continue

Mike McCarthy fine with Eddie Lacy's conditioning

packers.com

by Vic Ketchman on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

Eddie Lacy, going through the conditioning test, he was fine. If we had any concerns about our players’ conditioning, they wouldn’t be on the field,” McCarthy said.

Lacy has participated fully in each of the Packers’ first four training camp practices and McCarthy commented on Lacy’s play in drills on Tuesday that focused on the running game.

“Eddie Lacy definitely falls into the category of a big back, and a big back falls forward,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy spoke approvingly of his team’s performance in Tuesday’s practice.

“The start was good. The offensive ran the ball well. I thought we definitely took a step forward today,” he said.

Blitz-pickup and pass-rush/pass-blocking drills were feature attractions on Tuesday. Lacy and undrafted free agent linebacker Andy Mulumba made the loudest sound of practice when they collided in blitz pickup.

“You have to close the door. I thought the outside linebackers clearly got the better of the running backs today. That’s a drill I’m sure we’ll do again,” McCarthy said of blitz pickup.

“It’s important to see your young guys go against the old guys, and sticking their head in there,” he said of one-on-one drills between offensive and defensive linemen. “You have to win your one-on-ones. You can’t do enough of that stuff. It gives you a great idea of what football comes down to. You have to beat the guy across from you.”

First-round draft pick Datone Jones flashed his talent by dropping into coverage in a zone-blitz scheme and knocking down a pass.

“He can really run. You can see the quickness. He needs to learn to finish better. When a guy shows up in team drills, that’s something I’ve always looked for,” McCarthy said of Jones. continue

Banged-up Packers secondary doing bang-up job

packers.com

by Mike Spofford on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

Micah Hyde

Much of the team (11-on-11) snaps focused on red-zone and goal-line work, which is do-or-die time for defensive backs. Early on, McMillian tipped a pass at the goal line and nearly hauled it in as he spun around and dove toward the back of the end zone.

He then had an interception on a deep seam route intended for tight end Ryan Taylor in seven-on-seven. In the final team period, he had solid coverage on tight end Jermichael Finley on a corner fade that was incomplete, though Finley nearly made a great catch.

“He knows the defense inside and out,” Head Coach Mike McCarthy said of McMillian, adding that the 2012 fourth-round draft pick spent a lot of time around the facility in the offseason. “He’s a lot more comfortable. You don’t see him thinking back there like he did as a rookie.

“He played a lot of snaps last year and was kind of up and down, did some really good things for us, but the consistency wasn’t there. I see a much more consistent player, which I’m excited about, because he also has big playmaking ability, and we’ve seen that already.”

McCarthy made it sound as though it’s only a matter of time before Shields once again looks like the pure cover corner he was in the second half of last season.

“What I like about Sam is he’s got that edge to him,” McCarthy said. “He can run with anybody. He’s pretty much faster than anybody, but he’s a much better player up in your face, and those are excellent attributes to have as a corner.

“He has no memory, which is what you need to have as a championship-type corner. I’m excited about Sam, but he’s rusty. That’s expected. Sam will be fine.” continue

Ask Vic Ketchman (Opinion)

Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

Vic, I’m curious if you would speak a bit more on the point you made about the offensive line getting unfairly blamed for the poor running game. I’d argue the opposing point of view, citing sacks and poor run blocking, especially on third-and-short situations. I welcome your perspective on third and short.

In a drive-blocking scheme, the offensive line’s responsibility is to move the line of scrimmage. Third and short often includes a drive-blocking scheme.

If you want to blame the line for third-and-short failures, go ahead, but I don’t believe they bear the blame for the Packers’ No. 26 yards-per-carry average.

Yards per carry are mainly the result of yards gained beyond the line of scrimmage. It’s a stat that is especially inflated by long runs and the Packers didn’t have enough long runs last season.  Any back will tell you that once he gets into the secondary, it’s his responsibility to break tackles and make defenders miss.

Also, in normal down-and-distance situations, the Packers employ a lot of zone-blocking principles. The line’s responsibility in zone-blocking is for it to occupy defenders and create cutback lanes.

It’s my opinion that the responsibility for rushing yardage falls mostly on the back. As long as the line denies penetration, I believe it’s the back’s responsibility to find running room.

The better the back, the more yards he’ll gain. In the four years it took for Tony Dorsett to set the all-time NCAA rushing record, he never had an offensive lineman drafted by an NFL team. continue

Last edited by titmfatied
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Green Bay Press Gazette:

Photography:

2013 Training Camp Day 4

Video:

Camp Insiders (Pre-Practice)

Packers practice recap: Lacy looking fit for red zone

MM Presser Notes

by Weston Hodkiewicz on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

-I liked today’s practice. Usually after a day off, it usually doesn’t start the way you like. Watching the team periods specifically. Liked a number of things I saw in fundamental work.

-Particularly, early in training camp it’s important to see A, your young guys go against your older guys. At the end of the day, you can draw up plays as much as you want. Everybody does it. At the end of the day, it’s going to be one-on-ones across the front.

-I think Mike Daniels definitely has a lot more pop. He’s always had a great motor. He’s definitely healthier than he was last year. He looks stronger. He has a better understanding of our defense.

-It’s going to be an excellent battle. They both put in a lot of extra time. You can see the improvement just in the meetings. I think B.J. Coleman has made the biggest improvement carrying classroom onto the field.

-We’ve used defensive linemen on kickoff return. On coverage, Lawrence Guy was out there. Datone Jones can run. He’s a major matchup problem.

-Sam Shields came into camp good. The thing I like about Sam, he has that edge to him. He’s pretty much faster than anybody. He’s a much better player up in your face. Those are excellent attributes to have as a corner

-DuJuan Harris, closer to two to three weeks before he’s back. No timetable on Charles Johnson. continue

Weston is a good reporter, but Rob Demovsky (left for ESPN) handled the press conferences with much more detail.  Maybe Weston's over worked with the slack he has to pick up but it's a bummer. 

I also can't express enough how much I hate the idea of Datone Jones on special teams.  Too many opportunities for injury.  Much rather have a more expendable player out there even with the loss of a match up problem.

Notebook: Lacy, McCarthy not worried about photo, fitness

On Eddie Lacy:

“He’s a power guy, but I don’t want to call him just a power guy, because I’ve seen him where he’s made some moves and made guys miss,” Packers guard T.J. Lang said.

“If you can make guys miss and get north-and-south and show some speed, he’s a guy that just brings a totally different dimension to our running game.”

Extra points

Rookie receiver Charles Johnson said there is no concrete timetable for his return after sustaining a knee injury during Saturday’s practice, but said MRI results on Monday indicated only swelling and no significant damage. continue

Lots more past the click

Photo, conditioning concerns don't faze Lacy

During the second day of padded practice, the second-round pick looked the part in red-zone team drills. Although there was no tackling, he showed the ability to get to the second level that the Packers’ offense lacked for most of last season.

On a few carries, the bulling power back displayed made the correct read behind his linemen and the necessary footwork to dodge outside and into the end zone.

“Today I feel like it was my best day since I’ve been out here,” Lacy said. “I was comfortable with everything and I feel like I ran smooth and made good reads and I just the hole the way I was supposed.” continue

Veterans had a say in Jolly's return

Inside the Packers’ locker room, Thompson conceded many players didn’t know who Jolly was at first, but he still has something left to offer the team.

"Jolly has some natural ability to play the game. He does things very fluidly and instinctively," said Thompson, who admitted the decision to bring him back was ultimately his call. "The game kind of flows to him. So far so good, we have a long way to go. continue

House loses 9 pounds after bout with food poisoning

by Mike Vandermause on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

House said he was stricken with food poisoning a week ago Saturday after eating salmon in a Las Cruces, N.M., restaurant. That led to an ear infection, which led to a case of what he called labyrinthitis, which produces symptoms such as vertigo, hearing loss and balance disorders.

House’s weight dropped from 198 to 189, and the illness kept him out of Packers practice to start training camp. He returned today but pulled out due to cramps near the end of practice. He estimated that physically he’s at between 85% and 90%. His weight is up to 194.

“I couldn’t walk in a straight line, I wasn’t able to drive,” said House of the illness. “So it was tough. It was kind of scary.”

Besides experiencing frequent vomiting, House needed to be pushed through airports in a wheelchair on his way to Green Bay last week. continue

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Photography:

Packers Training Camp Day 4 (8 pages and easily the best gallery of the day).

Packers camp report: Tuesday at a glance

jsonline on Wednesday, July 31st, 2013

■ Tuesday was devoted to red-zone installation. "I think the team looks good," said McCarthy. "Two days ago was sloppy. Today, with all that new stuff in there, you saw some real quality football plays."

Don Barclay more than redeemed himself for a bad shotgun snap with a 4-1 record in the one-on-ones. He went 3-0 as a center against nose tackle Gilbert Peña but lost on a classic spin move by B.J. Raji.

Cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt had his charges in press coverage throughout the one-on-one drill in the red zone.

continue

10 things learned so far at Packers camp

by Tyler Dunne on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

3. Speaking of the running backs,James StarksandAlex Greencame to play. The rookies will generate the early headlines. They're new, they're the ones branded saviors. But the incumbents — Starks and Green — have been more impressive in Week One. Starks ran with violence through the first inside-running drill of camp, a flashback to his 2010 postseason. Green? He's cutting like he never cut last year, a full year removed from the torn ACL. Camp has just begun. We have weeks to go here. But two players cast aside by many outsiders are rising above the rest.

4. You may see David Bakhtiari sooner, rather than later. The fourth-round pick didn't back down the first day in pads. He ousted Clay Matthews during the always-entertaining one-on-one segment and was surprisingly scrappy throughout practice. Probably too soon to say he's a candidate for the right tackle job, but Bakhtiari has silenced any perceived "finesse" labels so far. He might be a steal.

7. Don't expect to see any — gasp! — 11-on-11 coverage from camp. The Packers have cut down photography and filming opportunities in a big way this summer. So far, team segments have been completely off-limits. In the iPhone Era, where Joe Fan can easily point and click from the stands, these new restrictions may seem archaic. But the team clearly is worried about anything scheme-related getting leaked. For those at home watching local TV or at JSOnline.com looking for video highlights, we have no answers. continue

Pressure runs high for James Starks, Alex Green

by Rob Reischel on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

And now that the Packers appear to have gotten serious about their rushing woes and drafted Eddie Lacy in the second round and Johnathan Franklin in the fourth, both Starks and Green are clearly on the bubble this summer.

"Everything's a competition," Starks said. "I'm just worried about myself, just trying to stay healthy, trying to go out there and give them my best effort and compete.

"We have a lot of talent here, with the draft picks. It will just make it more interesting, more fun. Everybody is entitled to their opinions and things like that, but I think all of us are a good bunch of guys who are going to push each other and work hard."

Green agreed.

"This is definitely the deepest room I've been in," he said. "And it's going to be fun. I'm looking forward to it. Everybody's looking forward to it."

Green believes he'll be substantially better after a disappointing 2012 campaign.

"I felt like I was ready," said Green, a third-round draft pick in 2011. "Turns out, looking back now on last year, I wasn't ready. I thought I was ready, but I wasn't. Today, even going up the stairs to my house just feels different. Simple things like that. Doing a body squat. Little things."

"His issue's really been the volume, and the volume kind of catches up to him," McCarthy said. "That's something that he struggled with all last year as far as the knee holding up." continue

Photo doesn’t bother Packers' Eddie Lacy

ESPN.com/nfcnorth

by Rob Demovsky on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

"I definitely made fun of him last night," receiver Randall Cobb said. "I pulled the picture up. We know he's in shape. We know he's good. It's just a bad angle. It's definitely a bad angle." continue

Packers training camp report: July 30

foxsportswisconsin.com

by Paul Imig on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

Movin' On Up: 
S Jerron McMillian

McMillian
was outstanding in Tuesday's practice and made several big-time plays. Early in the Packers' 11-on-11 red-zone team drills, McMillian had a good hit on D.J. Williams as the tight end attempted to haul in a high pass from Aaron Rodgers at the goal line. Later, McMillian tipped a pass in the end zone that he nearly intercepted before the ball fell out of bounds.

During 7-on-7 drills, McMillian had an interception and also tipped a pass that was picked off by Loyce Means.

So You Had A Bad Day: 
RB Johnathan Franklin

The Packers ran a drill that had running backs attempt to block the oncoming pass rush of outside linebackers. As a whole, Green Bay's running backs didn't do a very good job in this drill, but Franklin was by far the worst among them.

On two occasions, Nick Perry bullied his way right past Franklin in no time at all. Later, undrafted rookie Donte Savage beat Franklin without much of a battle.

Franklin is a small running back, so it's not as easy for him to hold off big pass rushers like Perry. But, if Franklin is ever to become an every-down running back, he'll have to be able to block much better than he did in Tuesday's practice. continue

Past the click Paul Imig has his usual comprehensive injury list and a bunch of notes from practice including which position coach challenged his players and which other position coach lit a fire under his players after a screwup. 

If I'm not mistaken Tuesdays are the day the media has availability with the coaches.  Should be some interesting articles tomorrow.  

Threw all the practice tweets in one with the thinking that it gets way too big with everything together and a separate one with the more in depth articles. Didn't want another thread that couldn't be opened and also figured a bunch of people have already viewed the tweets during the day so they wouldn't have to wade through the clutter.

Also kind of like the news and notes to look a certain way with the Packer Site stuff up top.

I don't think it's the tweets that are the problem; it's the widget that converts them into the Twitter look.

(Not related to your post, but I wish the "New" link when you've got unread posts would go to the first unread post, and not to the last post overall, no matter how many unread posts there are.  That would solve a lot of problems of havnig to wade through the clutter.)

I know we are supposed to look at the scar, but I'm frankly looking at the girth. Is that atrophy? Granted the image is stretched vertically, but I'd like to see the other leg as well because it looks like my leg when I was in high school (sans the scar).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.