Skip to main content

Bears’ Lamarr Houston says Aaron Rodgers’ championship belt gets on his nerves

rodgersbelt Getty Images

Bears linebacker Lamarr Houston is spicing up the offseason with a little trash talk aimed at Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Asked about Rodgers on ESPN today, Houston acknowledged he’s a good player but said he doesn’t like him as a person and especially doesn’t like his attitude, exemplified by his trademark celebration of pretending to put a championship belt around his waist.

He’s a little arrogant for me. He’s a little too arrogant,” Houston said. “He’s a cheesehead. I’m a Bear. He’s a cheesehead. But I have a lot of respect for his game, I will say that. He’s a great quarterback. As a player, I have a lot of respect for him but the whole championship belt thing kind of gets on my nerves.”

Houston might not be the best one to talk about the way other players celebrate, considering that he once suffered a season-ending knee injury while celebrating a sack late in the fourth quarter of a blowout loss. But Houston has taken shots at Rodgers before, most notably after the Bears beat the Packers on Thanksgiving, when Houston sacked Rodgers during the game and said afterward, “I really don’t like that guy.”

I believe the Bear loss on Thanksgiving was the game the wheels finally came off Clements wagon. GB averaged 6.3 yards / carry in that game. Ran for 177 yards. All on just 28 running plays. 28. 28 effing runs. And 4 of those were AR scrambles. So it's actually only 24 runs. 24. 24!

Now maybe Eddies physical condition played a part in that. But Starks only had 7 carries. And he was averaging 5.6 yards per carry. Eddie averaged 6.2. That game was probably the bottom of the barrel for AR and the passing game as well in 2015. Man did they look lost.  

But that game is a really good example of the coaching staff ****ing their their own team out of what should have been a fairly easy win by ditching the running game trying to force feed something that was clearly broken. Not MM's best moment. 

antooo posted:

That video put a smile on my face, but now I'm sad thinking how much we've missed not having Nick Collins in Green and Gold for the last four seasons.

Ted Thompson thinks about it every day. However, "Haha" has eased the pain a little.

Two thoughts:

1. Jay walks off the field the exact same way after all 387 INTs. He pulls the chin straps off and then does that weird right shoulder jerk/tick thing. 

2. Are we sure there aren't more? Seems like there are another 50 or so missing in the video. 

ChilliJon posted:

Two thoughts:

1. Jay walks off the field the exact same way after all 387 INTs. He pulls the chin straps off and then does that weird right shoulder jerk/tick thing. 

2. Are we sure there aren't more? Seems like there are another 50 or so missing in the video. 

The ones he's thrown against the Vikings are a  wash so they don't count! 

There was a bit last month about how the Bears were trying to bulk him up and he was absouletly sick of eating all the time, he basically had to eat every couple of hours.  

Last edited by Herschel
Herschel posted:

There was a bit last month about how the Bears were trying to bulk him up and he was absouletly sick of eating all the time, he basically had to eat every couple of hours.  

Ya, nothing unnatural about that.  Should work out just fine.

Hungry5 posted:

Bennett brothers

Jay Cutler

Michael: "Worst quarterback in the NFL."
Martellus: "I'd be open and he'd throw into double coverage."

Martellus: "Eli? He's cool. He's like a normal white guy you see at the park trying to teach his kids how to play soccer and you know he can't really play soccer himself."

Breaking news..

TBSS:

Things are getting a little testy at Chicago Bears Training Camp with repeated fights.... Jay Cutler called his team "dumb". He may have a point... - Radio Joe

Jay Cutler calls the Bears 'a dumb team' after repeated training camp fights

The Bears are dumb. Not because of their coaching staff or their collective football IQ. They're dumb because of their tendency to fight during training camp.

That's not coming from me. That's coming from the Bears' own quarterback, Jay Cutler.

"Now we're getting to the point where we're just kind of being a dumb team," Cutler said, per CBS Chicago. "So we've got to find that fine line of when we're being tough and when we're being dumb. I think we're right there on that edge, so now we kind have to start dialing it back and getting ready for games."

According to CBS Chicago, offensive lineman Ted Larsen has been involved in four fights this offseason. At Solider Field during Bears Family Fest on Saturday, the offense and defense were involved in an ugly altercation that looked like this, as CBS Chicago's Chris Emma reported:

Bears offensive lineman Ted Larsen grabbed linebacker Lamin Barrow and threw him down. Dozens of players in navy or white jerseys jumped into the scrums. Kyle Long even sprinted from the opposite side of the field to dive into the pile.

Don't over estimate the intelligence of these other rubes. That Kyle Long decided to run a full sprint and stage dive into a pile of his team mates to get into the fight is some special kind of stupid.

Watching the replay of the Broncos-Bears preseason game (I don't know why)...

Image result for david fales

Couldn't get a good photo, but has there ever been a more perfect name for a Bears' QB?

Meh, I refuse to put too much weight on any preseason game, especially the first one. Jeffrey is good, and they have some decent pieces in Langford, maybe White. etc. Their offense will probably be about as good as Detroit's or Minnesota's, depending on how each team's o-line shakes out. 

Last edited by Herschel

Yeah, and Montgomery or Larsen being able to replace Grassu is a big question. Their right side should be fine with Long and Massie, and Whitehair was a second-rounder this year so I'd hope he can start at LG, but LT is probably still an issue as I don't think Leno is all that good.

Fedya posted:

What if somebody wants to buy six tickets?

Yeah.  You're right.  I wasn't thinking.  I was still working on my first cup of coffee.  I should digest the info before typing.  That disclaimer just struck me as odd.

“Some people ask the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and dancing. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays.”Henry Youngman

“I was at this restaurant. The sign said ‘Breakfast Anytime.’ So I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.”Steven Wright

Last edited by Blair Kiel
Brak posted:

Real place, seen during a pit stop in Jacksonville.

At work we use to order out for Chinese food and they would deliver it.  The person taking the order repeated everything we said.  So when we order Chicken Fried Rice, it sounded like Shickn Flied Lice.  It didn't take long for all of us to start talking like that. 

The Bears debut of WR Kevin White has not gone well this pre-season thus far.

On the other side of the field, Kevin White is lining up in the NFL after missing his entire rookie season with a leg injury/ surgery, but is also back full speed this season. So, from an experience standpoint, he's a rookie all over again.

On Saturday, he wasn't a factor, and on a couple of occasions, was out of place when Cutler was looking to him.

Cutler after the game:

"There's going to be growing pains. That's just kind of how it is. Missed his rookie year, not playing a ton of college football, and then throwing him out there. There's going to be some growing pains with that. That's just how it is. We're working with him and he's doing everything he possibly can to work through it and be where he's supposed to be and he understood it. I talked to him on the sideline and just told him 'This is going to happen, and now you know and now it can't happen again. We can't have repeat mistakes.'.

We will see how White responds to Cutler's feedback, but you have to wonder how that came across when it was delivered. Cutler is pretty black and white, and doesn't sugar coat things when he speaks.

Also, back up Bears QB Collin Shaw suffered a horrible leg injury so bad replay could not show it today. Reported open both lower leg fracture. Ouch.

Last edited by packerboi

http://www.profootballweekly.c...-knee-issue/au45yq2/

Pro Football Weekly chimes in with their comments on Bears OLB Pernell McPhee, a former Raven

"We are now hearing there may be internal debates at Halas Hall among the coaching staff and front office as to whether or not McPhee should begin the regular season on the PUP list, meaning he would miss a minimum of the first six games this season

And it gets worse. We are also hearing from multiple sources that McPhee may have been damaged goods from Day One and sources close to the Ravens tell us that Baltimore would never have let him out of town if they didn’t have serious concerns over whether or not the knee would ever allow McPhee to be a full-time starter and contributor. The Ravens expected what the Bears are now experiencing. "

It's early to call this kid a bust, but um, he had a quiet camp. And now hurt, again.

Bears WR Kevin White injures hamstring, limited at practice

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears added receiver Kevin White to Thursday’s injury report with a hamstring injury that caused him to be limited at practice.

As expected, coach John Fox danced around White’s condition a mere three days from Sunday’s regular-season opener at Reliant Stadium.

"Not being a surgeon or a doctor, they just tell me hamstring and that's what I report to you guys," Fox said.

Minor or not, White cannot afford a setback. After surgery to repair a stress fracture wiped out his entire rookie season, White stayed healthy in the preseason, but did not make an impact in exhibition games until the finale at Cleveland. Though the rest of Chicago’s starters were given the night off, White led the team with four receptions for 57 yards.

But for White, every rep counts, especially during the week of his NFL regular-season debut.

"We’re going to put him in positions to succeed," quarterback Jay Cutler said. "We’re not just going to throw him out there and hope for the best. We know what Kevin can do well. We’re going to try and put him in those positions where he can do well."

Bores are a banged up bunch:

Report: Bears putting Kyle Fuller on IR

CHICAGO, IL - NOVEMBER 01: Kyle Fuller #23 of the Chicago Bears carries the football ahead of Stefon Diggs #14 of the Minnesota Vikings after making an interception in the second quarter at Soldier Field on November 1, 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images) Getty Images

The injury hits keep on coming for the Bears.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that cornerback Kyle Fuller is headed to injured reserve. Fuller has not played in the first three weeks of the season after having his knee scoped in August and will now miss at least the next eight games while on I.R.

The Bears already have cornerback Brandon Boykin and linebacker Lamarr Houston on injured reserve while defensive tackle Eddie Goldman, linebacker Danny Trevathan and cornerback Bryce Callahan missed Monday night’s game with injuries. Linebacker Pernell McPhee is on the PUP list and not eligible to join the team at practice or in games until after Week Six.

On the offensive side, quarterback Jay Cutler and running back Jeremy Langford are both injured while projected center Hroniss Grasu went on injured reserve before the season started.

Getting harder and harder not to call this kid a bust:

Bears WR Kevin White suffered a severe high ankle sprain that resulted in a fractured fibula in his left leg. White is going on injured reserve and may have to undergo surgery.

The 2010 season forever desensitized me to injuries.
It's like I want to feel sorry for a team when they get wrecked by injury, but I just can't. In the case of the Bears, they're the Bears, and I could never feel sorry for them no matter the case, so they're screwed either way.

that's only because the bears have been irrelevant for so long.  your inner bear hatred is still there in all its glory should it ever be needed again.  I don't feel sorry for them but I'm ready to despise them full force again should the occasion arise.

I respected guys like Matt Forte, Urlacher, Briggs, Hester, and Tillman more than most of the players that have been the Vikings stars over the last 15-20 years or so (AP, Randy Moss, John Randle, the Williams DTs, etc.). A Bears fan could be proud of the way those guys carried themselves off the field (and the way they played on it) relative to AP and their like.

Obviously, the underlying difference with Bears, Vikings, and Lions relative to the Packers is 25 consecutive years of Hall of Fame level play (or at least some of Favre's years in the 2000s HOF-level talent). It's interesting to think that other than the Favre years in Minnesota that Sam Bradford might be the best pure QB any other NFC North team has had in the last 25 years.

The Bears are probably better off just tanking the rest of the year to try to get DeShaun Watson.

Tdog posted:

that's only because the bears have been irrelevant for so long.  your inner bear hatred is still there in all its glory should it ever be needed again.  I don't feel sorry for them but I'm ready to despise them full force again should the occasion arise.

If you need to get riled up about the Bears people should look for clips of the Bears running up the 61-7 score in 1980 when they figured out the Packer's signs, the play where Walter Payton pulled Mark Lee over the bench by his facemask and the referees ejected Mark Lee, any picture of Mike Ditka on the Bears sideline, or either of the plays where Eddie Lee Ivery ripped up his knees at the atrocious turf they had at Soldier Field.

Nobody under 40 really remembers when the Packers were pretty much b!tch slapped for about 15 years in a row by the Bears. I'll still retain the Bear hatred for decades to come.

I have respect for the Bears as a franchise. They're a historically accomplished franchise like GB, Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Fran, etc. They at least have something to brag about.  The Vikings and Lions have accomplished nothing historically and both franchises are unbearable when their team has even a sliver of success. They're pretty pathetic, especially the Vikings since they are still goose egg in the championships department, SB or otherwise. Even the Lions have 4 pre-SB championships, the Vikings have nada.

The Vikings are like a relative that is historically bad at keeping a job and becomes an a**hole whenever they get a new job and start making some money...history says they will soon be fired and be unemployed for a while. The Bears are the relative who was once good at something, maybe they peaked in the 80's, but have been really down on their luck for a while. The Lions are the relative who you feel like they are smart enough and they got good grades in high school, but for whatever reason they have never been able to get it together and be successful at all. And you, the Packers, are the boring one who went through a rough patch when they were young, but have been successful and consistent for a long time. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

"You've got to understand the situation and be more careful with the football. You can't turn the ball over there... 

.............. awkward uncomfortable hysterical silence......."

Cutler to broadcast partner Kevin Burkhardt who really just wants Jay to put that mother ****ing cigarette out. 

"..... it's intercepted in the end zone and that will be a touch back...... and the hometown fans are not happy about that. Just listen to them!"

"F**K the hometown fans! Like they know best. They just wait for you to fail. You call in a take out order and they just assume you want to "PICK" it up because you're good at it. ****ing hyenas" 

I noticed Cutlers first assignment is a nationally televised Bears preseason tilt. This is going to be so much fun. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

Jeff Dickerson ESPN Staff Writer 

What a mess. Mitchell Trubisky re-enters game again after Connor Shaw suffered another injury. Trubisky threw an incompletion and was sacked to end the game. Browns win 25-0.

Instead of having Trubisky simply run out the clock -- Cleveland led 25-0 -- the Bears surprisingly asked their future franchise quarterback to drop back and pass three times in the final 1:04 -- twice in the last 11 seconds. The Browns not only hit Trubisky on those final two pass attempts, they sacked him as he tried to move up in the pocket as time expired.

Saw some of the "highlights" from that schit show last night. John Fox is going to screw that kid up.

"Peanut" Tillman - FBI

Tillman earned a bachelor's degree in criminal justice from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette before the Bears drafted him in the second round in 2003. He grew up in a military family — his father, Donald Tillman Jr., was a sergeant in the Army — and attended 11 schools from kindergarten through 12th grade.

PackLandVA posted:

I don't think this is a good move.  Glennon sucks, but what's the harm in letting MT sit and learn a little longer.  Maybe it'll work out.

Agree. The Bores have NO WR's to speak of, a shaky OL at times, and the running game is their only plus on offense. Not the recipe for success you want to give your franchise to.

Dak Prescott is successful because he has a brick wall for an OL, good WR's & arguably the best RB in the league.

The Bears, have none of that. Put Trubisky on the Cowboys & he most likely puts them over the top.

PackLandVA posted:

I don't think this is a good move.  Glennon sucks, but what's the harm in letting MT sit and learn a little longer.  Maybe it'll work out.

I agree. His first start will be against the Viking defense, then Baltimore and Carolina....why not wait till New Orleans the next week ? Well, I guess they are used to ruining young QB's. 

and as was discussed around the fire last night, what's with the bears still suck giving up and running the clock out for the 4th quarter instead of trying to win a football game? I understood what Fox was doing while at the game - practicing the run game cuz his pass game sucked - but that still doesn't excuse a professional NFL team for essentially throwing in the towel.

TBSS!  there's a reason we keep saying it

Holy sh**, horrible. Wishing him all the best...

Zach Miller undergoes emergency surgery in effort to save injured leg

Chicago Bears tight end Zach Miller underwent emergency surgery Sunday night in an effort to save his injured left leg, league and team sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The surgery, performed at LSU's medical center in New Orleans after the Bears' loss to the Saints, was to repair a damaged artery in Miller's leg, according to sources.

Miller is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Monday, when surgeons will evaluate the blood flow and overall anatomy of his leg, sources told Mortensen.

Miller dislocated his knee in the third quarter of Sunday's game against the Saints. Sources told Mortensen that Miller's dislocated knee is considered "more significant" than a regular dislocation, which is a serious injury.

Vascular surgeons were called in to repair Miller's leg, which includes grafting tissue from the other leg to repair the damaged artery, sources told Mortensen.

Bears coach John Fox said Sunday that the team's "thoughts and prayers are with him" after revealing that the veteran tight end would spend the night in the hospital.

I don't even want to google that. No thank you I'll take people's word for it. 

It's just very bizarre, within our our own division, we've seen 2 NFL players (Bridegewater the other) damn near have their leg amputated because of this sport. 

Yikes. 

Saw the video and I think it was the worst I've ever seen. A human knee is not meant to go almost 90 degrees backward. Sometimes it's hard to watch/hear about the human carnage this sport inflicts. And yes, I cannot believe the refs took away the TD, adding insult to injury. I wish him all the best and hope they can save his leg; he's not out of the woods yet...  

This is just sad

Un-effing real. Please show me WHERE the ball EVER touched the ground because what you're showing me is NOT indisputable evidence. 

He caught the F**KING BALL! END OF STORY

...and this is exactly why I'm not watching the games anymore. Time to turn the channel & do other more productive things with my life

The question isn’t whether it was a catch or not. (It was clearly a catch). The question is how in the name of severed arteries did Miller hang on to the football that long after that kind of injury. 

It is pretty deflating that someone in NY watched that play over and over in high def and ruled no catch. 

CHI is on the rise but Trubisky is driving that bus.  He hits the gas and keeps it between the mustard and mayo and they'll contend.  Or he could just as easily end up in the ditch.  Also depends if the D takes another step.  If Fangio gets it rockin on all cylinders Mitchy won't have to do as much.

Fedya posted:

Roquan Smith's team-issued Ipad stolen from his car

Not as if teams need it to beat the Bears....

poor guy - welcome to the big city.  i know being from a small town, many folks leave their car doors open at night and the like.  I am sure he will not travel with any valuables in the auto going forward.

Happened in small town GA and he locked his car.  But boy they really cleaned it out.

...rookie linebacker Roquan Smith reported to Athens-Clarke County (Georgia) police that several items were stolen from his car on Saturday, including his team-issued iPad, his Georgia helmet from last season and three of his Bulldogs jerseys...  Smith also told police that his "Athlete of the Year" trophy from the University of Georgia was taken...  Other items stolen were two watches (Michael Kors and Kyboe), a pair of Costa sunglasses, Nike shoes, four pairs of Bose headphones and a Bose Bluetooth speaker.
Hungry5 posted:

Don't want all the Packers obsessed Bear fans who post here feeling left out.

2018-05-16 21.06.23

Thanks for that up to date hot take.  What breaking news is next?  Memes about Ditka cussing out McMahon?  George Halas dissing Lombardi?  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.