Skip to main content

Dr._Bob posted:

The Directv person I talked to in Customer Retention said that starting for the 2017 season there would be the option to order NFL ticket for specific teams.  That would be nice.

I would love that option.  One thing I am still a little surprised with is that you can't order one game at a time on a pay per view type of format. 

GBFAN, you are probably correct on that.   But, I think of it this way.  I live in an AFC market (near Cincinnati) and there are times when the Bunguls are on CBS and we get the Browns, Steelers, Ravens, or Colts on FOX if they are playing an NFC team.

So I go out to some local watering holes where I get a tiny TV off in a corner while I am surrounded by the local fans (and god help me  when it is the Steelers vs. Bengals) so I would be happy to pay $50 because by the time I am done sometimes my tab is $50 and I don't have to be around Steelers fans.

I just made my annual call looking for Sunday Ticket discounts.   The first person I spoke with offered a reduced price of 6 payments of $50.99 as opposed to the regular price of $59.99.  This is for Sunday Ticket Max.  She also applied a $10/month discount for 6 months.  I said this wouldn't be enough for me to keep the NFL package and she transferred me to the retention department.

The woman in the retention department tried to get me to bundle some other services (Internet, cell phone) to save some money but I told her I was happy with what I had.  She immediately then offered a $50/month discount for one year off my regular programming price.  After asking her if she said $50 or $15 and getting confirmation that it was a $50/month discount, I accepted.  

Everyone was very friendly and I never had to make any threats about disconnecting service to get this offer.  $714 in discounts over the next 12 months for something that was going to be $360.  I'm very pleased with the offer.  Also, I've been with DirecTV since 1998 and they brought that up numerous times during my 40 minute call.  The entire ordeal was a pleasant surprise.

BrainDed posted:
GBFanForLife posted:

and the chaser?

They don't do bloody chasers outside the Midwest.   Can't tell you how many times I have been judged as degenerate alcoholic for ordering a beer back.  Plus, to add insult to injury, they make you pay full price for it.

F them.

I not too many years ago I was in Cali and asked for french dressing.  The girl looked at me like I was an idot and, yes actually ASKED, why I would put ketchup on my salad.

She didn't get a good tip. 

I made my call as I'm no longer under contract and with a competing offer in-hand as well as the carrot of adding high-speed internet to my package. What did they offer in return? 

Not a damned thing. They wouldn't even match the price or the gift card with much slower internet speed, no transfer to a retention rep, either.  I politely told her what she could do with her service and she just said they have great re-connect offers. 

**** DirecTV.

Boris posted:

I called last week & got ST Max for free...again with very little resistance. 

I do believe it matters which CSR you get. Call back until you get one that helps

Yeah, a retention rep called me back a couple of days later, but I've already taken the Comcastsucks deal, which is okay as they gave me a solid price and have much better internet speeds.  

We called to cancel our service in July, as we were doing more streaming any way, and our contract was up. They didnt offer much, a few bucks a month. Went ahead and canceled. Got a call the next day, and they got me. Free max ST, choice package, pay channels free for 6 month, and $200 bucks!

got my first bill with the new plan and discounts, $93.

At $128/mo, I pay DirecTV $1,536 a year, even though I rarely watch anything but football and baseball. The plan now is to just buy NFL Game Pass and MLB.tv and watch them with a streaming device like Roku or Chromecast. With a good VPN, you can get all of the games live, regardless of where you live. NFL Game Pass is $199 if you buy it with a Brazilian IP address, and MLB.tv was $110 at the start of this season. Big savings coming my way.

Pack-Man posted:

DirecTV called me back this morning to offer me 3 months of HBO and Showtime, and claimed to have no record of our conversation yesterday. Yeah, that will make me stay.

Walk away like I did. They will give you shares in the company.

Watching Sunday Ticket FREE, free HBO, Starz and Showtime..., $44 bucks off my bill every month and they will send me a $200 gift card to boot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.