Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wonder why he didn't want to have surgery? Can anyone explain why a partial tear won't just heal and be fine, I'm sure he's stayed off it and rehabbed it (or maybe he didn't)? 

Last edited by Grave Digger

Report: Dolphins have reached out to Jay Cutler

Getty Images

As the Dolphins continue to await word on the severity of Ryan Tannehill‘s knee injury, the momentum for Jay Cutler is building in Miami.

The Dolphins have reached out to Cutler, Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports.

Dolphins coach Adam Gase, who coached Cutler when he was the Bears’ offensive coordinator in 2015, has personally been in touch with Cutler, the report says. Cutler had a good season in Gase’s offense and the two get along well personally.

The Bears cut Cutler in March, so he’s a free agent and there are no restrictions on the Dolphins contacting him or signing him. He has already signed with CBS to work as an announcer this year, but that wouldn’t preclude him from changing his mind and returning to the field if the right opportunity arises.

Gase said today that Matt Moore is now the Dolphins’ quarterback, but Gase made clear that’s only the case “right now.” If Tannehill is out for the season, the Dolphins may go shopping for a new quarterback, and Cutler could be the man.

Even with Matt Moore at QB, this team is likely going to win enough games to keep them out of the Sam Darnold sweepstakes.

I'd say roll the dice with Cutler if he's still interested in playing.

ChilliJon posted:

Exactly how many days pass before Gase places a call to Cutler???

It was approximately 3 hours after this post.

Pikes Peak posted:

If only they were on the schedule....

Yeah....like twice. 

Whew, Boris
When I saw the thread title, I was scared it was for one of our own.
Let's pray we don't have to add any more of our guys to this, or require one specifically for the Pack.

If nothing else, at least the Dolphins provide entertainment. I'd like to see them do well since they are in the same division as the Cheatriots, but I fear it won't matter who they have at QB. I doubt they could win enough games to avoid having to go to NE at some point.
The very best thing if they sign Cutler will be the outcry from the pro-Kaperdick camp. They are worse than the Kennedy conspiracy theorists! 

Brainwashed Boris posted:

Anything less than a 1st round pick is unacceptable. 

It's quite possible he's worth more to us than any other team. 

I'd also want at least two starting defensive players.

If #7 lights it up for two preseason games, and the Miami Lice, ... I mean Vice,  or should I say Dolphins, .... become very desperate and package 2 #1's, and 3 other picks, TT won't be able to help himself.  Hundley is gone and Callahan is the new #2 until further notice.  

Brainwashed Boris posted:

Anything less than a 1st round pick is unacceptable. 

It's quite possible he's worth more to us than any other team. 

Matt Flynn, redux? 

Hundley has definite value, but I can't see any team giving up a 1st round pick unless it could be in a conditional pick format. Something like a 3rd round pick that could elevate to a second and possibly a 1st if he has a lights-out season.

I bet he's as good as, or better than, any QB a handful of teams have on their roster (Cleveland, Chicago, Jets).
There's another handful of teams that are a crapshoot right now with their starters either because of injury (Indy /Luck, Baltimore/Flacco, and Denver/ Siemian, and of course Miami/Tannehill) or poor/questionable talent (SF, Houston, JAX, WASH, maybe BUFF).

I wonder what the prospects may be if we were able to keep him this year, and trade him next year? Any/many hot prospects eligible for next year's draft?
There's also another group of teams with starters old in the tooth, and crap for depth (AZ, PIT, CIN, maybe NO and NYG) that may offer an opportunity.

Jesus Christ.  

If that isn't a money move I don't know what is.  Miami is really committed to winning if they would've drag his bum ass in.  Just the intent alone.  With an owner/FO like that enjoy your continued failure Miami.

Last edited by Henry
Henry posted:

JSonline is saying Vince Abberderis is out indefinitely now?  The new hometown bust.

Not news. He's been out "indefinitely" since the surgery. I'll predict he's rolling and producing by game 9.

We had been dodging the injury bug fairly well. They were not the critical, front-line guys...until House.
Not that he's House Island, but he was likely going to be a key piece of the backfield. Still not devastating by any means; we just don't need 'em to start stacking up.

packerboi posted:

That's great news......because I thought he died with that hit.  

packerboi posted:

It that the new pre-amputation boot.  As long as they bring the leeches he should recover.

packerboi posted:

So, guessing he can still play OT at about the same level as pre-injury. 

packerboi posted:

I'm imagining him on one of those Walmart scooters....

packerboi posted:

And he's in the concussion protocol. Yancey has all the awareness of a tree stump.

Tough loss for Giants to take. The hit itself was certainly legal, but definitely not in the spirit of avoiding injury. Taking guys out at the knees is not seen so often today as it was years ago, and that's a good thing. The DB did nothing wrong rule-wise, but he better have his head on a swivel in the games ahead...

Pawsitive news:

Dean Lowry avoided a serious knee injury, according to a source. Tests showed no major damage after he was hurt in Saturday's preseason game at Washington. It's a considered a short-term injury.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

i watched that obj injury.  i was unsure what to make of it.  so it was a legal hit, but unfortunate and in an ugly situation.  so after the hit, the dude went into a weird state of mind, it was as if - i remember thinking - this guy is playing this up, ok, make sure the cameras are on me, ok, throw the helmet, ok, check...again, take a knee, ok, camera on me, let me just bypass the entire medical staff and start to walk to the tunnel.  ok, take a knee...it appeared to be real diva''ish, but at the same time, it could have been legit...just don't know if we enable this guy's behavior, because of course at halftime, all the news was about...obj...strange, i was less of a fan of today's football after that performance.

I think a lot of the immediate reaction after the hit was the result of his head hitting the turf. He was checked for a concussion before having an x-ray on the ankle. Glad he's ok. Would have been a brutal way to lose your top WR before season starts. 

On the replay I saw, it looked like the Cleveland DB stumbled on the turf as he was turning directions going over to cover OBJ - so it seemed to appear that's why he was low to begin with....but it also looked like the DB could've just wrapped his arms around OBJ low instead of the roll into the knee area.   Glad it wasn't a serious injury because even though he might be a douche,  I like to watch OBJ play WR.

Last edited by SanDiegoPackFan

I like watching OBJ when he is between the lines and there is live action. The rest of the time, nope. It ain't all about you all the time, young man. Emotional players are great but quit preening so much.

More players need to act like Jordy, Cobb, etc., IMO. It's almost like character and coaching make a difference. 

I don't think the tackle was particularly 'dirty', and I don't think that player was intending to be, but his technique was piss poor.
Head down, diving at the legs, not wrapping up, etc.

That same tackle happens against Joe Justaguy and this conversation isn't happening. I think that same tackle probably takes place quite a few times in every game. 

It was kind of comical watching ESPN replay it 437 times during halftime. 

michiganjoe posted:

and anyone wonders why he's my #1 boyfriend???  The man is a god.   

Defensive lineman Dean Lowry, who injured his knee at Washington, will not practice on Tuesday, but McCarthy said the injury is not a long-term concern.

Also, rookie linebacker Vince Biegel will not be cleared to practice or play this week. McCarthy said the fact that Biegel's foot surgery was due to a re-occurrence of a college injury is a factor in his timeline.

"There's a threshold or two more that the medical staff wants to make sure he’s clear of, because a setback is always something you want to avoid," McCarthy said. "We haven’t had any setbakcs, but it's a matter of where he is in the progress of his rehab."

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-an...f22d42#ixzz4qaHPGY3y

Colts fans will soon be kvetching (if they're not already) about Luck's "window", number of playoff appearances (not to mention lack of SB appearances), how they get curb-stomped by the Pats when they do make the playoffs.....any of this sound familiar? 

Luck's situation has quickly became David Carr II. A poor OL with no immediate improvement seen, a mostly anemic rushing game, sketchy WR depth, and now injury. The GM needs to get his turds in a herd.

FWIW, I think Seattle is close to slipping into this same situation. One key injury could have them there sooner than they think.

Floridarob posted:

I wonder if Greg Jennings asks the Packers if he can sign a one day contract and then retired a Packer. 

I hope they sign him to a one day contract just so they can cut his ass 

Last edited by YooperPackfan

It's an ankle injury for Bryan Bulaga, who did not return to practice. At least for his sake it's not another knee injury. Also, Jayrone Elliott (back spasms) dropped out again. So did Derrick Mathews (concussion).

Yeah, I'd prefer to see Murphy than Spriggs but they need to find out if Spriggs offers anything at all.  I'd give the guy another year or even two but nothing sounds good about this guy.  

Bryan Bulaga said he's "not too concerned" about his injured right ankle. He's still waiting for MRI results but X-rays showed no issues and he's optimistic for the Sept. 10 opener.

Sounds like good news, but the OL remains a disaster waiting to happen with an injury.  Murphy is developing nicely but Spriggs is a cause for concern and hopefully it's largely a confidence issue.

take it for the grain of salt it is, but I saw Spriggs talking on the local news last nite and confidence is not the impression I got from his demeanor.

step it up man!!  be the man!!

Last edited by Tdog

I'm all for developing the young guys, but would rather not have Rodgers in the game while Spriggs is playing. Especially against Denver.  Let Callahan be sacrificial lamb... he will be cut anyway. 

With the Packers medical staff, and MM and Co. I'm sure wanting to make sure this isn't a lingering issue with Bulaga, I'm not holding my breath either that he's going to be ready for week 1.

Which means Kyle Murphy better get up to speed in a hurry.

packerboi posted:

I guess he means that if surgery is in the conversation it means it's not minor, but I would say the fact that it doesn't need surgery means it isn't major. Sprained ankles aren't nothing, but it's better than surgically repaired ankle...

That's the concern right there. High ankle sprains are problematic. 

Funny thing about young guys like Murphy and Spriggs. Sometimes everything changes when you go from depth/insurance chip to the guy everyone needs to do his job. 

Bakhtiari was a holding machine as a backup. He looked light on athleticism and low on ceiling. Then he had to take over at LT and everything changed. Could say the same thing for Linsley and Tretter. 

Yes, the counter argument is Newhouse and Barclay. 

If there's any silver lining here. We're about to find out what Murphy or Spriggs really bring to the table. I'll take a little trial by fire to see if either can hold their water. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

It seems Murphy and Spriggs have essentially changed positions or roles.
It was Murphy who looked timid, lost, and overwhelmed last year, but has looked like he's the one most ready to step in this year.
Apparently, Spriggs has stolen Jobu's rum....

Disagree they "don't need him."

Edelman & the TE's in New England open up the outside for Cooks.

If Edelman is done, things just got tougher for the Pats.

Instead of clinching the division on Halloween, now it might take until Thanksgiving. 

Remember, the Jets & Bills are trying to tank the season so they can have the #1 overall pick in 2018. Oh, and Miami has Jay Cutler. 

Real tough sledding in the AFC LEAST.

Disagree they "don't need him."

Edelman & the TE's in New England open up the outside for Cooks.

You're thinking binary, like TE's + edleman + cooks - edleman = less.  When really you should be thinking like the Pats.  They'll be redesigning **** that will be better than the former ****.  And probably dig up another quick white guy from under someone's scrap heap.

Last edited by DH13
packerboi posted:

Do it Ted!

They could just scoop up whatever WR's we try stashing on the PS.  Problem is MIN will probably beat them to it since they sucked more than NE last year.

Rodney then doubled down:

Michael Rodney@packernotes. Could happen. I don't see McCaffrey doing much in Green Bay, but he could find success In a more creative offense like New England's.

He's turning into a bitter Bayless. 

They already hAve that guy. His name is Danny Amendola. They also have Chris Hogan on the outside. I understand exactly how the Patriots work. 

If you read my post fully, I was being facetious. (E.G winning the division by Thanksgiving instead of Halloween)

Guess TJ Watt at 29 isn't looking so bad now?  ****ing A 

And don't give me "we have Biegel AND King for Watt" bull**** 

Biegel may never play and King has looked mediocre at best 

We knew coming in that Clay and Perry had to stay healthy but that's about as likely as me winning the US Open 

Love TT but seriously WTF 

By the way - anyone know that a pass rush can make good corners look great? That might be a problem if our thin OLB can't stay healthy.  

Last edited by Tschmack

I really wonder if Ted is just obtuse to the LB postion given he played it.  He's ****ed up more on LBs than just about every other position other than DL. 

Watt playing well is just another kick in the nuts.

Tschmack posted:

Guess TJ Watt at 29 isn't looking so bad now?  ****ing A 

And don't give me "we have Biegel AND King for Watt" bull**** 

We knew coming in that Clay and Perry had to stay healthy but that's about as likely as me winning the US Open 

Love TT but seriously WTF 

By the way - anyone know that a pass rush can make good corners look great? That might be a problem if our thin OLB can't stay healthy.  

Right now. **** TJ Watt. Rueben Foster went 31 to SF. He's killing it right now. He's a tackling machine playing outside LB and he's really effing good in coverage. 

He lasts until 31 because he blew up at a nurse at the combine. Right now he looks every bit like top 10 talent he was projected as. At pick 31. So whatever about TJ Watt. Foster looks like the bigger miss. 

No idea if it's the play you mention. But on the Vikings first drive Foster lined up in the middle and read Dalvin Cook on a swing pass and moved like a heat seeking missle and just destroyed Cook for a loss. It was all Foster. And it was impressive. 

Tschmack posted:

I have no clue about Vince Abberderis and personally don't care at this point.  As far as King, we haven't seen anything as it's preseason as a rookie.  CB is much harder to play than OLB.  So I wouldn't throw out the pick considering the massive need in the backfield.  

That said, the Josh Jones pick is starting to look like a luxury.

Clay Matthews has tightness in his groin and was held out as a precaution. As Mike McCarthy said, there's not long-term concern there. He wouldn't have played in Thursday's preseason finale anyway.

If (big IF, I know) we can avoid the injury bug, I am excited to see how the Dline progresses. Still worry about the LBs and to an extent the CBs, but I want to see if the DL hits its potential.

I'm not throwing out the King pick at all.  He has talent and seems like a good guy.  Personally, we need him to play well.  But I am also not ready to immediately dismiss Rollins or Randall.  They played great in 2015 and tough to assess 2016 due to injury?  

My only concern is there were some decent pass rush options there at 29 and Ted went another direction.  That's cool but betting on often injured Badgers LB is not a recipe for success.  See Mike Taylor and Chris Borland and our guy Vincent Biegel. 

Last edited by Tschmack

There was also pass rush talent at the Jones pick and a couple of decent prospects at the Jerel Adams pick. I know Burnett's in a contract year and they want the "Nitro" package at times, but it's a bit like buying a jet ski when you don't have a reliable car to get to work. IMO they really needed two solid OLB prospects, especially with one coming off an injury. They're not keeping four halfbacks or eight receivers.

Last edited by Herschel

I don't think it's like that all. We have two starters at OLB and we had an open hole at CB. If anything drafting another OLB would be the jet ski in your analogy. That would be a luxury pick, CB had a glaring hole, a more glaring hole than depth at OLB. Pass rush is a key component, but even a really good rush is negated by glaring weaknesses at CB...just ask the 2016 Packers who were 4th in sacks and trying to cover Julio Jones with a 2nd year UDFA.

I agree, go back & watch the Atlanta playoff game. Ryan is getting the ball out in less than the average time sacks occur in the NFL. When the immediate first look is open, does not make a difference who you have rushing, they are not going to get there

Perry and Matthews have proven they can't stay healthy.  They are the only two decent pass rushers they have other than an occasional inside Daniels pressure.  They are actually counting on Fackrell and Elliott?   That makes Gunther seem like an All Pro option in comparison 

They added House and from all accounts Rollins and Randall are back to being healthy and look the part.  I get King but King and Jones at the expense of adding another OLB?  Why?   Brice was already on the team and looks really good.  He could play the slot or if they needed Jones as the slot guy why draft King?

You can get by with mediocre CB play if guys can pressure the QB.  If that doesn't happen CB talent or depth is irrelevant  

Last edited by Tschmack

You obviously cannot get by with mediocre CB play, if you could then we would have just won the SB. You can't get by with mediocre CBs or Safeties filling in at CB, we tried that and Matt Ryan shredded us.

Kevin King would not have made any difference in that game 

We had 3 open holes at CB 

tough to draft or plan for that 

Yet Dom played our schit CB single coverage and no pass rush to speak of 

Last edited by Tschmack

Which teams have the most OLB depth?  Maybe a trade with one of them for a WR or for Hundley or Hill?  Or is there any chance an OLB better than our guys will get cut lose this Saturday by someone?

I don't think Matthews injury is all that mysterious.  What is the only injury he almost always has?  If you guessed "hamstring" you are correct.  Unless it is a headache from all that hair hanging off his head.  I rest my case.  

Grave Digger posted:

I don't think it's like that all. We have two starters at OLB and we had an open hole at CB. If anything drafting another OLB would be the jet ski in your analogy. That would be a luxury pick, CB had a glaring hole, a more glaring hole than depth at OLB. Pass rush is a key component, but even a really good rush is negated by glaring weaknesses at CB...just ask the 2016 Packers who were 4th in sacks and trying to cover Julio Jones with a 2nd year UDFA.

No real qualms with King, they needed a 6'+, rangy  corner also, but Jones really seems like a luxury pick, as does the Jerel Adams flier when OLB is also so thin. Bringing in House was a good move to add some depth to a struggling position,  adding two guys where needed, but Fackrell is still really raw and Elliott appears to be another Vic So'oto, etc. If the Packers had two durable guys starting it would be a different gamble.

Fandame posted:

All this angst over TJ, a guy who isn't even on the GB roster. Geez, I wish the season would start so we could complain about something else.

Would it make you feel better if it was Tak McKinley? Had Atlanta taken Watt instead then the name changes but the need doesn't. That's not to say Watt was the only answer, just the first/easiest/most obvious one.

Tschmack posted:

Kevin King would not have made any difference in that game 

We had 3 open holes at CB 

tough to draft or plan for that 

Yet Dom played our schit CB single coverage and no pass rush to speak of 

The quick release Matt Ryan was throwing with and how open the receivers were, I don't think TJ Watt or any other pass rusher would have made a difference. Again, we had a good pass rush last season and ultimately it was CB play that ruined our SB chances. If you want to compete for a SB you better have at least 1 elite player at CB, if Sam Shields had stayed healthy I think we would have been much more competitive in that game and probably would have won. 

Herschel posted:
Grave Digger posted:

No real qualms with King, they needed a 6'+, rangy  corner also, but Jones really seems like a luxury pick, as does the Jerel Adams flier when OLB is also so thin. Bringing in House was a good move to add some depth to a struggling position,  adding two guys where needed, but Fackrell is still really raw and Elliott appears to be another Vic So'oto, etc. If the Packers had two durable guys starting it would be a different gamble.

who's this Jerel Adams you keep harping on and what does he have to do with the Packers?

Jerell Adams is TE for the NYG.

Herschel posted:
Fandame posted:

All this angst over TJ, a guy who isn't even on the GB roster. Geez, I wish the season would start so we could complain about something else.

Would it make you feel better if it was Tak McKinley? Had Atlanta taken Watt instead then the name changes but the need doesn't. That's not to say Watt was the only answer, just the first/easiest/most obvious one.

No, just that all rookies are basically crapshoots until proven otherwise in real games. TJ has been great in preseason, but it's preseason. If he's still tearing it up at the end of the year and King is so-so or a bust, then let the whining begin. Until then, keep it all in perspective and see how it plays out. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.