Skip to main content

Grave Digger posted:

Game might have been closer if Rodgers doesn't sh*t the bed and more or less spot them 14 points. 

Pick call on Bennett was a huge swing in the game. Would have been 1st and 10 at Atlanta 49 with :55 seconds left. Instead its 2nd and 8 on their own 7.

Doesnt excuse Rodgers "**** it" INT. 

But that pick call is probably the difference between 17-10 at the half instead of 24-7. 

Blair Kiel posted:
BrainDed posted:

Soooo still a chance, time left on the clock, let's have Rodgers get snot bubbled.

looking at you BK

I'll take the blame for Kennedy getting shot too.

Dope.

Nice straw man. 

Game was over before the 4th quarter started.  It's one game and it's a long season, the smart move would have been to pull your starters. 

Tough road opener even with a healthy OL. The Packers have to get that team off of turf to slow them down. At least they touched Ryan tonight.

The MASH re-run that is the Packers has started again.

The Falcons just targeted whomever Randall or Rollins was covering on every key pass. That neither tackles worth a damn just compounds things. They're healthy they just aren't that good. Both maybe slower than House, whose a big corner.

I really like Allison (even with giving up on that route), King, Josh Jones and Ty Montgomery.

BrainDed posted:
Blair Kiel posted:
BrainDed posted:

Soooo still a chance, time left on the clock, let's have Rodgers get snot bubbled.

looking at you BK

I'll take the blame for Kennedy getting shot too.

Dope.

Nice straw man. 

Game was over before the 4th quarter started.  It's one game and it's a long season, the smart move would have been to pull your starters. 

Other than the fact of the message it sends to your team, your fans, your starters.

RE: Randall and Rollins

This is a head scratcher for me as they have regressed A LOT since their promising rookie year. I get that last year their on-field development was slowed due to the injuries, but they still could do film study... yet, they need game speed reps to learn. Another factor might be that they've been moved around a bit with the injuries last year. Hopefully McCarthy/Capers/Whitt see what King brings and get him on the field more.

I'm not giving up on R&R, but they need to be dropped on the depth chart until they prove they deserve the playing time they're getting.

Those two were constantly a step slow, but to be fair to them, Julio Jones has made better CBs than them look silly. The biggest coaching mistake of the night, IMO, was going into a gameplan where Davon House or King wasn't on Julio the whole night. House isn't perfect either, but he wouldn't have gotten physically bullied by Julio like the others did. He's strong at the line and wouldn't have allowed Julio to get a clean release. HaHa didn't do Randall/Rollins any favors either by being late. I'm not advocating dirty hits, but if he/Brice/Jones had rocked Julio a couple times over the middle I think Atlanta would have changed things up and not let their franchise take those shots. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

The good news is that none of the injuries last night appear to be more than 2-3 week annoyances (the one that concerns me the most is Jordy's leg).

The game turned during two minutes of game time bracketing halftime. The pick play call on Cobb's long reception turned what probably would have been at least a 17-10 deficit into a 24-7 deficit. Then, the fumble return (which also was a borderline call) made it an insurmountable 31-7 game. 31-7 vs. at worst 17-10 if we punt to open the second half. It was probably going to be a loss, but the officiating made this a blowout.

I don't think they win even if they are down 17-10 at that point, they just don't have the pass rush to take pressure off the DBs without Daniels. However, without those calls it's probably something like a 45-34 shootout (same point difference but a completely different type of game). However, I don't think it was as bad as people are saying. They at least stayed within a fluke play of making it really interesting in the 4th quarter and I think as the season goes on we'll see more King and less Randall/Rollins. The backup tackles (especially Murphy) weren't turnstiles. The play that caused the fumble return was a horrible whiff by McCray, but the pressure up the middle at the same time (it looked like Linsley got smoked as well) is what made it a catastrophic play instead of just a 10 yard sack.

CM3 looked like a difference maker again. D. Adams looked like a poor man's Sterling Sharpe, and Montgomery ran tough and should continue to be a weapon out of the backfield on check downs. I'd rather have Murphy as the backup tackle than Barclay or Spriggs.

Regroup, take care of the next two (Bengals and Bears) with terrible QBs, and be at 3-1 at the quarter pole.

Pass rush wasn't the problem last night. Ball was consistently out of Ryan's hands fast. 

I don't get what Dom and the staff are trying do with the DBs. There were so many times when the corners were 7-10 yards off the line last night. Especially against Sanu. It was easy pitch and catch. 

It also looked like Dom hit the panic button in the second quarter after Atlanta was finding recievers open all over the field. King was put on Jones. Josh Jones was put in the middle.  I thought King was easily the best option on Julio. Only he didn't stay on Julio. Everyone kept being moved around.

And that's another thing. King was unquestionably the best DB on the field for GB last night. Why did it take what looked like a panic reaction to get him on the field on Atlantas best WR? That's not a plan you should see in week 2 with a healthy secondary. 

in general . It looked like a lot of confusion in the secondary again without a clear plan of what they were expected to do. And the plan in general didn't look very sound to begin with. 

Agreed GD. Again, last night we saw more of the we do what we do mentality. That mostly works when they have their starters 100%. Does not work when they are playing with their depth.

And this is what is odd with Dom. In 2010 when they had something like 16 guys on IR, he seemed to adjust the defensive game plan and put players in position to maximize their abilities/strengths. These past few years I have not see that same type of adjustment. 

Beat CIN and CHI at Lambeau and they are 3-1 in the first quarter. That won't wipe away the bad taste of how they lost last night, but it is the W/L record I expected after 4 games when looking at the schedule.

Last edited by H5

The regularly open receivers on 3 step drops is what troubled me the most.  That's the part that I can't simply chalk up as "our guys were injured, it would be different at home".  Can't fix that with a pass rush.  Have to jam better at the line is your only option. 

I'm not sure what more ATL would have to do to impress some GB fans.  They gave up some plays and some points on D but they were also facing what many consider to be one of if not the best O in the league.  Even without 87 and 69.

Last edited by DH13
DH13 posted:

The regularly open receivers on 3 step drops is what troubled me the most.  That's the part that I can't simply chalk up as "our guys were injured, it would be different at home".  Can't fix that with a pass rush.  Have to jam better at the line is your only option. 

I'm not sure what more ATL would have to do to impress some GB fans.  They gave up some plays and some points on D but they were also facing what many consider to be one of if not the best O in the league.  Even without 87 and 69.

I'm sure they don't trust their CBs to get decent jams at the line. If they miss the jams it's a go route with Julio Jones. The Falcons also schemed well to get Jones or Sanu in motion - hard to jam guys if they have a head start.

The Packers offense is good. I'm not sure it's the best in the league, at least in the initial design of the play. The Packers have the best QB in the league who makes plays by buying time in the pocket. One key to that is having  OTs who are used to maintaining blocks in that situation. Bakh and Bulaga have years of experience doing that and we probably don't appreciate how good they are at it.  We just see Rodgers running around for 8-10 seconds without thinking about how hard that is for an OT to maintain blocks.  Murphy and McCray had a half dozen snaps together. The Packers offense is not the best in the league without 3 of their top 5 or 6 offensive starters.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.