Skip to main content

Henry posted:

This is the other thought that came to mind.  With all these hybrid S/LB setups, particularly Jones,  where exactly is the coaching coming from?  Perry or Moss?

Moss coaches the OLBs, McCurley works with the ILBs. I never saw Burnett or Jones working with any group other than Safeties. They are Safeties, coached by Perry, except when they're LBs. 

“This organization does a great job of not panicking and freaking out,” Nelson said. “You look where we were last year, at 4-6, there are probably some organizations that would’ve cut some ties. We finished strong. And keeping the core upstairs and the core down here, it gives us a chance to be successful.”

This is probably the aspect of this organization I appreciate the most. You see the same thing in NE and Pittsburgh. Fans may be calling for blood, but the organization stays focused. Agree with MM or disagree, he's going to follow his vision whether it leads to a SB (already has) or crashes and burns (it hasn't and won't). 

ilcuqui posted:

Terrific interview with MM by Albert Breer. Highly recommended.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08...g-camp-mike-mccarthy

Agree. An interesting point about the team leaders all being brought up in the system, and so few free agents brought in, so no one has to "buy into" what MM and GB are selling. They just pass it on to the new guys. You can see from the interview that MM has leadership skills that go beyond the field. Fans may not always agree with him or his calls, but he's done pretty darn well and it's far preferable to trotting out a new coach every three years.

The Packers have signed rookie DT Aiulua Fanene from Arizona, his agent Aaron Gordon told ESPN. The native of Samoa is the younger brother of Jonathan Fanene, who played for the Bengals and Patriots. He should provide depth after rookie third-round DT Montravius Adams had foot surgery and is expected to miss multiple weeks. Fanene likely will take the roster spot of cornerback Herb Waters, who is expected to be placed on injured reserve because of a shoulder injury.

https://zonazealots.com/2017/0...s-nfl-diamond-rough/

Jamaal Williams - RB - Packers

For the second straight day Thursday, ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky reported fourth-round RB Jamaal Williams appears to be "pushing" Ty Montgomery for starting duties.

Per Demovsky, the coaching staff has "praised (Williams') pass-protection ability," an area where Montgomery remains a work in progress. Williams received the first first-team reps of Thursday's practice. Coach Mike McCarthy called Ty Mont a "full threat" on Monday, but Williams is set up to make a preseason push. Williams is shaping up as a solid flier, while Montgomery is a risk/reward RB2.
I liked what I saw from both guys in camp. Williams runs hard and has more of James Starks downhill style, while Monty is more of a slasher who is lightning quick. I actually liked what I saw Devonte Mays also, we might actually have a pretty solid RB group this year. 

Oh No, Monty might not be the starting RB I guess this means we throw his very talented ass away! The guy can do so many things and brings so much to an offense, but hey, let's throw him out with yesterday's bath water.

tymont probably has more football talent in his little finger than you or I have in our entire bodies.

lets get past day 6 of camp first....

I was hoping Jamal Williams would emerge simply due to his running style and bulk.  That a is a perfect RB by committee setup.  Ty may be weak on pass blocking but ripping off a 5 yard average is absurd.  

Speaking of blocking, I'm still interested/concerned about Jahri Evans.  Sounds like he's playing solid ball and they definitely aren't moving or putting anyone else in RG position but I worry about a Saturday drop off mid season. 

Last edited by Henry

FB_IMG_1501856660823We kept noticing footballs stuck in the 90 foot high rafters of the Don Hutson Center, the Packers indoor practice facility. Turns out new rookie punter Justin Vogel, Miami, had been routinely kicking punts that ricocheted off the ceiling. We counted over 11 times his punts hit the roof, with 5 footballs still stuck to the ceiling - Mike Clemens

Attachments

Images (1)
  • FB_IMG_1501856660823

I actually saw Murphy sub in at RG (with the 1's) on a couple occasions. I saw Barclay exclusively work at Center, although he's played so much Guard since he's been here perhaps they're not worried about him getting work there. The depth at OG seemed to be exclusively Taylor then McCray at LG and Evans then Murphy then Patrick at RG. Center depth seemed to be Linsley then Barclay then Amichia. 

Yeah the crazy thing about Vogel was the hangtime he seemed to be getting. Reminded me of Jon Ryan. 

Last edited by Grave Digger
Henry posted:

I was hoping Jamal Williams would emerge simply due to his running style and bulk.  That a is a perfect RB by committee setup.  Ty may be weak on pass blocking but ripping off a 5 yard average is absurd.  

Speaking of blocking, I'm still interested/concerned about Jahri Evans.  Sounds like he's playing solid ball and they definitely aren't moving or putting anyone else in RG position but I worry about a Saturday drop off mid season. 

I'd take a Saturday-like drop off over a Barclay always any time.

GrainBelt66 posted:

Oh No, Monty might not be the starting RB I guess this means we throw his very talented ass away! The guy can do so many things and brings so much to an offense, but hey, let's throw him out with yesterday's bath water.

tymont probably has more football talent in his little finger than you or I have in our entire bodies.

Jump to conclusions much??   

FinnLander posted:
GrainBelt66 posted:

Jump to conclusions much??   

This is what happens when I drink a 5th of johnnie walker and try to reply to stupid posts regarding certain players. Like I told Henry, sorry.

it must be my smart phone making me a dumdum... ïŋ―ïŋ―

KonKrete posted:
Henry posted:

Apparently Digger has not been bogarting.  If this defense is able to avoid the pile of injuries to a single position group that they've dealt with recently, I think they are going to surprise a lot of people.  Now where the heck did I leave that bag of Doritos?

Eddie took it with him when he left.

Fedya posted:

This is what happens when I drink a 5th of johnnie walker and try to reply to stupid posts regarding certain players. Like I told Henry, sorry.

I enjoy it when you post drunk.

I still think my German language skills are better than yours...ïŋ―ïŋ―

At least it was Blue Label, not the cheap red crap......

Last edited by GrainBelt66
Fedya posted:

I enjoy it when you post drunk.

If I tried posting drunk, I probably couldn't post.  Therefore I conclude - sans evidence - that I am not drunk.  And if I were I wouldn't admit it no matter how many misspelled words I type.  

From the INBOX:

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

The Packers have a history of several UDFAs making the 53 every year. With 10 draft picks and the addition of five veteran FAs and so much returning talent, it seems like this might be a tough year for the UDFAs to make the roster. In the first week of camp, which UDFAs and practice-squad holdovers have you seen so far that look like they could make the 53?

McCaffrey and Derrick Mathews have stood out to me as far as practice-squad players who have performed so far in camp. Justin Vogel isn’t your traditional UFA since most punters aren’t drafted, but I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him. He has a live leg. I also want to add 6-foot-6 rookie Michael Clark had an incredible catch Thursday night.

My comment - From reports, I knew about Vogel.  And I had an idea about McCaffrey.  But no one said anything about Mathews or Clark.  Does anyone have any other information?  

Clark is an impressive looking receiver. Noticed him on day 1. He runs good routes and is a long strider and seemed to show soft hands and he definitely knew how to use his size to his advantage on jump balls. The big negatives I saw are that he doesn't seem to have great speed and he doesn't have a lot of bulk. He's very lanky and I would be worried about injuries. He's quick and like I said he runs good routes, but I don't think he's beating out Dupre, Janis, McCaffrey, or Davis for the #5 or #6 spot. Looks like a PS guy, he kind of reminded me of Ruvell Martin. 

I noticed Matthews some, but it's hard to tell how ILBs look because their job is so contingent on full contact. Even padded practice it doesn't seem like players are supposed to really hit. 

PackerBackerDPM posted:

Anyone able to comment on Crosby last night?  Near misses and just something to work through with the new guys?  Amazing what a little pressure can do to those mechanic as by all accounts up until last night things were rolling along well. 

New snapper AND holder.....I'm thinking just kinks to work out.     and. JMHO

Pack88 posted:

It would be doubly sweet winning the SB in Miinny, just like staving off elimination by beating Chicago and then winning the NFCCG in Chicago after the 10 season

I brought up this possibility to my MN co-workers here in GA that this could happen..they are now dreading the season even more...Please...let this happen!!!!

Earlier fears about UFDA washout may be unwarranted: From a JSO story:

Undrafted rookies Donatello Brown and Geoff Gray look like they have a chance to make the roster. Brown, a cornerback from Valdosta State, has decent size (6-0, 190) and speed (4.50 40), and he competes every down. Gray (6-5, 315), a guard from the University of Manitoba, is a mauler as a run blocker. He has a ways to go in pass protection, though, because he’s too aggressive and compromises his balance by reaching for his guy.

michiganjoe posted:

Gunter so far is having a really rough camp. He needs to pick it up or I can see the distinct possibility of him missing the cut.

He kinda of reminds me of Terrell Buckley.

Sure, he'll make a few INTs if a QB throws the ball to him on accident, he may even assist on a bunch of tackles; but he'll never be able to cover the deep ball, hook, or slant routes, and more often than not he will Darren Sharper every open field tackle he's presented with.

He should not be on the roster and was a UDFA for a reason. He played last year because our secondary had 4,781 injuries.

Last edited by NumberThree
michiganjoe posted:

Gunter so far is having a really rough camp. He needs to pick it up or I can see the distinct possibility of him missing the cut.

With House back and considering all the CBs incoming and recovering it didn't seem very likely anyways.  House and Gunter are the same player with House being better.

Last edited by Henry

Lane Taylor is apparently playing really well and all indications are Evans isn't another Jeff Saturday. OL should be fine if they can stay relatively healthy (a big if, I know). 

Fackrell is another one that's apparently having a disappointing camp. Team needs to find some pass rush and he doesn't appear to be part of the answer so far.

NumberThree posted:
michiganjoe posted:

He kinda of reminds me of Terrell Buckley.

Sure, he'll make a few INTs if a QB throws the ball to him on accident, he may even assist on a bunch of tackles; but he'll never be able to cover the deep ball, hook, or slant routes, and more often than not he will Darren Sharper every open field tackle he's presented with.

He should not be on the roster and was a UDFA for a reason. He played last year because our secondary had 4,781 injuries.

He reminds me of nothing like Buckley. This from article when he was traded:

"But what Buckley had going for him, according to those within the organization, was more than offset by deficiencies in size, competitiveness, hands, tackling, practice habits, discipline and responsiveness to big-game situations."

Gunter's problems are none of those.....they are that he just is not an elite athlete. 

michiganjoe posted:

Fackrell is another one that's apparently having a disappointing camp. Team needs to find some pass rush and he doesn't appear to be part of the answer so far.

This is why Vince Abberderis is just a flyer of a pick.  There is **** for depth at OLB.  If Perry or Matthews gets hurt, which is likely, they have squat for rush.  It's going to have to come the Dline.

heyward posted:

What I mean is that none of the beat writers were worried about Jeff Saturday in training camp either, so to judge Evans in early August means nothing.

When the Packers signed 37-year-old Jeff Saturday to start at center in 2012, there were signs early in camp he’d hit the wall. By season’s end, he no longer was the starter. No such red flags so far with six-time Pro Bowler Jahri Evans, who turns 34 later this month and is replacing T.J. Lang at right guard. Evans has been a crafty run blocker and fine in pass protection, though he had two false start penalties Saturday night.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/...arly-camp/540727001/

Henry posted:
michiganjoe posted:

There is **** for depth at OLB.  If Perry or Matthews gets hurt, which is likely, they have squat for rush.  

This very well could be the linchpin for the season.  Perry and Matthews have got to buck history and stay healthy, it is as simple as that.  

They are both #1 picks.  You've got to assume they are going to hold up.  

I don't even want to THINK about the alternative.  The wailing and gnashing of teeth that will ensue if that position breaks down and we aren't getting any pass rush will echo all the way to Babylon and back (*cough* t.j. watt* cough cough*).

Last edited by Pistol GB

We all know there are there will always be a position that's "short".  Honestly, I'm good with putting all the eggs in the Matthew/Perry basket simply because the backfield needed the infusion badly.  If Clark and Lowry can make some noise, maybe guys like Jayrone can do some nice rotational work.  Fackrell, meh.  I hope Vince Abberderis makes it back but I'll believe it when I see it.  

Keep digging in UDFA for depth Uncle Ted.  I'd be churning the **** out of the bottom of the defensive roster.  Frickin' Goodson sucking up a spot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.