Skip to main content

In the Ted Thompson era, one of the key periods of the NFL calendar I think most Packer fans tried so hard not be excited over, because, well what was the point?

Now? I think fans have reason to be excited. Not saying Gute will go hog wild but yes, I think he will make some moves. Speaking of...

Sportsradio 105.7 The FAN
PLAYERS COURT: Green Bay Packers safety Morgan Burnett is set to be a free agent. Sportrac sets his market value at $11.4 million per season. Would you bring him back at that price? If not, what is a reasonable contract for Morgan Burnett?

Gregg Rosenthal's top 25 free agents for 2018:

1. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, San Francisco
2. Kirk Cousins, QB, Washington
3. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans
4. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh
5. Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Dallas
6. Allen Robinson, WR, Jacksonville
7. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Minnesota
8. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Seattle
9. Ziggy Ansah, DE, Detroit
10. Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami
11. Sammy Watkins, WR, Los Angeles Rams
12. Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S, Los Angeles Rams
13. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams
14. Case Keenum, QB, Minnesota
15. Andrew Norwell, G, Carolina
16. Malcolm Butler, CB, New England
17. Dontari Poe, DT, Atlanta
18. Dion Lewis, RB, New England
19. Justin Pugh, G, New York Giants
20. Nate Solder, T, New England
21. Sam Bradford, QB, Minnesota
22. Star Lotulelei, DT, Carolina
23. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Washington
24. Morgan Burnett, S, Green Bay
25. Carlos Hyde, RB, San Francisco

Other notable free agents include Seattle TE Jimmy Graham, Cincinnati TE Tyler Eifert, Jacksonville WR Marquise Lee, Minnesota RB Jerick McKinnon, Philadelphia LB Nigel Bradham and free agent CB Vontae Davis.

Last edited by H5
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That stuck out to me, too. Bridgewater hasn't played in two years, is a physical risk, and wasn't superb to begin and he's rated #7? Brees isn't going anywhere as long as Payton is in NO. Garrappolo will probably break the bank for some team, whether it's in SF, SD/Vegas, Denver or maybe even Washington if he falls for Snyder's millions. Couple of FAs on the list are intriguing but no Reggies. 

Trumane Johnson (who got hurt in week 2 and wasn't the same) likely won't re-sign with the Rams. Cost them a ton of money as a franchise CB and the injury soured them on him.

Butler in NE has been up and down, but he's only 28. Billy's M.O. has also been to allow guys like him to walk as well (see Logan Ryan).

Ziggy Ansah came away with 12 sacks last season for DET but 6 of those happened in the last 3 games including GB's make shift OL in the last game.  He has a lot of injury history as well and like Perry, he's had 1 "breakout" season. I think some team will overpay him and I hope it's not Gute.

Packiderm posted:

I'd take Ziggy. Situational pass rusher. For example: Put him in when it's time to drive the Vikings QB into the turf. 

...but they have competent backups on the roster.   Jokes on you.

Packiderm posted:

I'd take Ziggy. Situational pass rusher. For example: Put him in when it's time to drive the Vikings QB into the turf. 

Aaron should leave those plates in considering he’s made out of balsa wood.

GBFanForLife posted:

Cincinnati TE Tyler "Can't stay off IR" Eifert. Teddy ranked higher than Case.

He's talented and as a low risk signing, I'd do it. Yep, injuries are a big issue but when he's on the field, that's a huge target for 12.

Last edited by packerboi

I shopped through a similar list and found three  offensive guys that I thought could be had for less than premium dollars that Rodgers could make look brilliant  1)Wr  Paul Richardson - is fragile and won't run the middle but has a nice outside route tree and a great 9 route.  2)  Luke Wilson has pretty good hands and is relatively fast (mid 4-5's ) and finally  3) Terrelle Pryor - is tall fast and with a real QB could be deadly  NFI what happened in Wash but for the right money would love to see him running deep outs with12 throwing him the ball.  2 years go in Clev looked like a gold star reclamation project by Hue Jackson and last year looked lost!

Last edited by Pack88
Jaymo posted:
Packiderm posted:

Aaron should leave those plates in considering he’s made out of balsa wood.

That's laughable. If Keenum leaves the 2 remaining Queenie QB options are made of glass

Actually, all three MN QBs could leave this year. All three of their contracts are up. They declined the fifth-year option on Teddy, Bradford's deal is done, and Keenum signed last year for only one year.

Them making Bradford active for the playoffs and deactivating Bridgewater shows what they think of Teddy at this point and his days in MN are more than likely over. I can't imagine them keeping Bradford either because he's made of glass. That leaves Keenum, and they will have to pay him big, big money to keep him after this year.

Or, they could lose all three and start over with Sloter because, you know, all those other teams wanted him.  

Sloter was a preseason hero out here last year, most Donkey fans wish they would have kept him.  Of course preseason hype and fan love mean nothing but he did look pretty good.  

All morning on Donkey talk radio I heard that Elway is very high on Case and to a lesser degree Cousins.  Case, with a very good D in Minny is looking pretty good and the feeling is that he could duplicate it with the Denver D.  

We shall see.

ammo posted:

That may be true, but how great would it be if all 3 Viking QBs sign with new teams?  It could happen. Minney low balls any of them and the others could say "See you later!!" too. 

You do realize they could franchise any one of them if they wanted.....

Jaymo posted:
ammo posted:

That may be true, but how great would it be if all 3 Viking QBs sign with new teams?  It could happen. Minney low balls any of them and the others could say "See you later!!" too. 

You do realize they could franchise any one of them if they wanted.....

You gonna pay any of those three the average of the top five QB salaries like you'd have to do if they franchise any of them? Here's what that looks like -- Stafford: $135 million over five years (which starts next year); Flacco, $24.55 million/year; Palmer, $24.125 million; Cousins, $23.93 million; Ryan, $23.75 million; Rodgers, $20.3 million. 

Fandame posted:You gonna pay any of those three the average of the top five QB salaries like you'd have to do if they franchise any of them? Here's what that looks like -- Stafford: $135 million over five years (which starts next year); Flacco, $24.55 million/year; Palmer, $24.125 million; Cousins, $23.93 million; Ryan, $23.75 million; Rodgers, $20.3 million. 

Absolutely.  $23M isn’t anything to a team in good cap shape for a one year prove it on Case. 

I mean, he’s only went 13-3 and has them in the NFCCG.....he’s no Brett Hundley but, you can’t have everything.

He’s already outplayed everybody on that list this year.

Last edited by Chickenboy of Rubechat

The average of top 5 may go up as new contracts get signed. Rodgers has a contract coming up. 

Case Keenum on a 1 year prove it deal @ $23 million (possibly more) or Case Keenum 5 years $100 million & follow Shurmur?

Which one would you take?

Also want to point out Garapolo is never hitting this list & hasn't signed yet.

Last edited by Boris

“I mean he’s only went 13-3 and has them in the NFCCG”

”He’s in the perfect spot. He doesn’t have to carry his team”

”Sure, he carried them on the last drive.....partially because of his own doing. Horrible pick and a sack that he just can’t take to knock them out of FG range”

“Absolutely. $23 million is nothing”

Listen people. Jaymo doesn’t just argue your points. He argues his. He’s Hells merry go round. 

There’s no win here. For anyone. If Jaymo was a defense attorney he could have worn a clown to suit to court everyday and gotten John Wayne Gacy community service at day cares. 

Last edited by ChilliJon
ChilliJon posted:

“I mean he’s only went 13-3 and has them in the NFCCG”

”He’s in the perfect spot. He doesn’t have to carry his team”

”Sure, he carried them on the last drive.....partially because of his own doing. Horrible pick and a sack that he just can’t take to knock them out of FG range”

“Absolutely. $23 million is nothing”

Listen people. Jaymo doesn’t just argue your points. He argues his. He’s Hells merry go round. 

There’s no win here. For anyone. If Jaymo was a defense attorney he could have worn a clown to suit to court everyday and gotten John Wayne Gacy community service at day cares. 

To me Burnett is worth that price tag I think his play has slipped some due the Dom factor.  But that being said I don't think the Packers sign him for that amount of money. 

Eifert?  I live in Bengals country and I can tell you this guy is hurt ALL the time.  I seriously don't think he has played more than half a season in his career.

I would seriously consider Nate Solder the OT from NE as well as the OG's from the Giants and Panthers.  Bulaga is great when healthy but he is an injury waiting to happen so I think they may need to address that position as well as guard. 

Anyhow, with all of this being said I am kind of excited that Gute may actually use free agency to better the team.  I don't think he will be going crazy throwing money around but at least there is hope he does something.

Pack88 posted:

3) Terrelle Pryor - is tall fast and with a real QB could be deadly  NFI what happened in Wash but for the right money would love to see him running deep outs with12 throwing him the ball.  2 years go in Clev looked like a gold star reclamation project by Hue Jackson and last year looked lost!

Interesting prospect.  

I wonder, if re-signed, how Pettine would use Burnett. I think this hybrid LB/S is what knocked him out of several games this season. He's just not built to be a hard hitting LB.

Personally, I don't think he's worth 11 mil a year either but Pettine also needs vet's on his defense. Maybe some of that cash comes from Cobb or Jordy.

Because I can't see Gute paying 35mil a year for 3 WR's combined.

Last edited by packerboi

But Dr. Jeenyus just knew Keenum was going to lerad the Yikes to the NFC Championship Game.  I'm surprised he hasn't told us he would have rtraded for him in stead of the oft injured Bradford.  And speaking of Bradford, talk about balsawood..............

ammo posted:

But Dr. Jeenyus just knew Keenum was going to lerad the Yikes to the NFC Championship Game.  I'm surprised he hasn't told us he would have rtraded for him in stead of the oft injured Bradford.  And speaking of Bradford, talk about balsawood..............

Yep.  If Ted Thompson was the GM of the Vikings, they would have rolled to 7-9 with Taylor Heinicke.  Thank God for Spieldope, he had the foresight to realize that injuries happen and you need quality depth...especially at the most important position.

p.s.  how hammered are you right now?

Jaymo posted:
ammo posted:

Yep.  If Ted Thompson was the GM of the Vikings, they would have rolled to 7-9 with Taylor Heinicke.  Thank God for Spieldope, he had the foresight to realize that injuries happen and you need quality depth...especially at the most important position.

If my counts are right the vikings have had 25 starting qb’s since 1992 while the Packers have had six I believe. So tell us all, who on God’s green earth are you to come in here and talk about the Packers instability is at qb? Your Yikings not only passed on one of the greatest qb’s in the history in the NFL but they passed on him TWICE! If that’s not instability please explain to us what is cuz it sure as hell isn’t the Packers!

p.s. how hamered are YOU right now?

packerboi posted:

So is Morgan Burnett worth 11 mil a year?

Maybe, depending on the structure, but that's a lot of scratch. He'd be the fifth-highest salary for the position until another good safety gets a contract. He's good, he's versatile, but he hasn't been the most durable. 

There is no chance that Cobb and Jordy both return making their current salaries.  No chance.  

I also think Clay is at risk given his cap space. 

Burnett is interesting but 11MM for an above average player is a lot of jack. 

Jaymo posted:

Totally right. Thompson can't touch Spielman's record when it comes to wins, playoff appearances and SB wins. Oh wait...

Last edited by Grave Digger
Tschmack posted:

There is no chance that Cobb and Jordy both return making their current salaries.  No chance.  

This is why I say we need to draft a WR. We may indeed lose either Jordy or Cobb or maybe even both of them. If we lose both, I think MM and Philban will move Montgomery to WR. Will Clay be a Packer next season? Burnett will be back but not in the role he played in Capers' defense. Lots of questions to be answered prior to the draft and FA.

Burnett and Clay being on the roster next season fully hinges on how valuable Pettine considers them for his scheme.  The $$ situation for both of them going into the season will say a lot about what the new DC has in mind for them.

I think we need to draft a WR high (not a high WR) whether 18 and 87 are in GB or not.  I don't think that changes.

Last edited by DH13

I'd like to see an impact WR drafted as well, but I'd really like to see an ILB who can patrol the middle. As for WR, Geronimo hasn't taken the next step, Davis just seems like a sprinter and not a WR, Cobb is a slot guy and doesn't really open the field, Jordy is solid, Janis! is a STer only, Clark has potential but is raw. Adams is the only stud, but he's not a burner. A second top-notch guy would help open things up.

An inside LB who could run and hit would be a dream.

Tschmack posted:

I think Cobb is back.

Jordy may retire, but if he comes back it will be at a much reduced salary.

I think Clay is back. He's at 11 million, but I don't think that is an unreasonable salary.

Morgan Burnett is a guy that is good enough to win with, but I don't think he's a difference maker. He's played 8 years (102 games) and has 9 total interceptions with 52 return yards.

Nick Collins played 6 years and had 21 interceptions (507 return yards).

Clinton-Dix has played 4 years and has 11 interceptions.

I know those guys are free safeties and Burnett is a strong safety, but some other comparisons with strong safeties.

Leroy Butler, 12 years with 38 interceptions.

In the two years, Charlie Peprah played significantly for GB (2010-11) he had 7 interceptions.

In his three years as a primary Packer SS, Atari Bigby had 10 interceptions in 29 games.

I know interceptions aren't everything and Burnett has strengths against the run, but I think you'd want to see more big plays from a safety that has started that many games to pay over 10 million.  He's assignment sure and understands the defense, which basically makes him AJ Hawk - except that he's not a liability. He's an average player.

Roquan seems the only blue chipper ILB to fit that description this year and every mock draft I've seen have him slated to OAK.  Not that they mean anything and "top 10" ILB's have slipped before but I wouldn't hold your breath.

TT seemed to have a commandment about not picking a WR in RD1 so it will be interesting to see what Glutes does if a top WR "falls" to 14 and there isn't a valuable enough OLB there to pick.  It looks like he could nab a RD1 worthy WR at #46 if enough teams pass.  I think Geranimo is still developing.  Everybody but 17's stats nosedived with AR's shoulder.

MichiganPacker posted: 

Morgan Burnett is a guy that is good enough to win with, but I don't think he's a difference maker. He's played 8 years (102 games) and has 9 total interceptions with 52 return yards. 

Should have about 80 return yards and a TD.  

DH13 posted:
MichiganPacker posted: 

As Kinky so famously said. " let Saigons be bygones ".  We need to put that behind us.

Last edited by Pikes Peak
Grave Digger posted:Totally right. Thompson can't touch Spielman's record when it comes to wins, playoff appearances and SB wins. Oh wait...

You’ll get no argument from me.  Ted Thompson is a solid GM as long as #4 and #12 line up behind center.

Without them.....well, he’s no longer a GM, is he?

Jaymo posted:
Grave Digger posted:Totally right. Thompson can't touch Spielman's record when it comes to wins, playoff appearances and SB wins. Oh wait...

You’ll get no argument from me.  Ted Thompson is a solid GM as long as #4 and #12 line up behind center.

what a stupid comment. You yahoos were jumping up and down when TT let Favre bolt and stuck with Rodgers. At that time you were saying what an idiot he was. How did that work out for you and how did that work out for the Packers. According to your stupid logic, I guess he should have got rid of a hall of fame QB to show he was still a great GM. 

Ted had his faults but he was a damn good GM that stuck by his beliefs.  The Vikings or any other organization would have been lucky to have him over the past ten years. Is it not possible for you and your ilk to give one iota of credit to how the Packers have been successfull. It has been with his help and not inspite of. 

Your own coach and GM said when they were hired that having the same success as the Packers was their goal. So if Ted was so bad why would your managment have made those comments. I would say even they know success even if their delusional fans have no idea how it needs to be accomplished. 

Vikings fans are truly the worse fans on the planet. Jealous little pissants. 

Jaymo posted:

Image result for ted thompson super bowl trophy

A SB winning GM. Does Rick Spielman have one of these? 

Here's what it comes down to: even if they lose Vikings fans will be psyched that they made it to the NFCC. Packer fans are disappointed when the Packers only make it to the NFCC. 

Grave Digger postedacker fans are disappointed when the Packers only make it to the NFCC. 

Oh, trust me, I’ve heard several packer fans say that if the Vikings don’t win the Super Bowl, that the packers had just as successful of a season.

That explains all the gnashing off teeth as they inch ever closer.

Rate these three scenarios in order of enjoyment to packer fans:

a) packers make the playoffs and lose

b) packers win the superbowl

c) packers miss the playoffs

Jaymo posted:

Oh, trust me, I’ve heard several packer fans say that if the Vikings don’t win the Super Bowl, that the packers had just as successful of a season.

But I can actually rate these because I've experience the joy of the Packers winning a SB! TWICE in my lifetime!  You can only rate the experience of losing in the playoffs or missing the playoffs as a Vikings fan because...well...you have no frame of reference for the Vikings winning a SB! 

Pikes Peak posted:
DH13 posted:
MichiganPacker posted: 

As Kinky so famously said. " let Saigons be bygones ".  We need to put that behind us.

Yeah good luck with that.  Trauma is the hardest scab to heal and the easiest to pick.  Just ask a MIN fan.

Last edited by DH13
Jaymo posted: Oh, trust me, I’ve heard several packer fans say that if the Vikings don’t win the Super Bowl, that the packers had just as successful of a season.

I'm sure you did...but the question is how long were you trolling and goading them before they made the comment.

I'm sure there are Packer fans who feel that way...but that doesn't mean everyone feels that way.

I am almost to the point where I am OK with the Vikings winning the Superb Owl, because I just can't bare to think of the suffering that some of them would endure if they loss.  It's like when I used to watch I Love Lucy as a child.  I couldn't bare to watch some episodes because I felt so bad for Lucy and the predicament she got herself into.

Jaymo posted:
Grave Digger postedacker fans are disappointed when the Packers only make it to the NFCC. 

First of all, I don't hear folks talking about missing the playoffs is just as successful as making the playoffs, even if you lose the superbowl.  I would tell any Packer fan who made that statement that it is stupid (almost as stupid as you can only judge the quality of a QB buy superbowl rings, ie. the "Dilfer is better than Marino" argument).  GD is correct though, Packer fans are disappointed if they only make it to the NFCC

A) Superbowl

2) Lose any point in the playoffs

iii) miss the playoffs

\infty ) Be a viking fan

Last edited by El-Ka-Bong
justanotherpackerfan posted:

I am almost to the point where I am OK with the Vikings winning the Superb Owl, because I just can't bare to think of the suffering that some of them would endure if they loss.  It's like when I used to watch I Love Lucy as a child.  I couldn't bare to watch some episodes because I felt so bad for Lucy and the predicament she got herself into.

Jaymo posted:

You left out "Vike fans get their heart ripped out again!" I rate this #2 after Packers win Super Bowl. 

packerboi posted:

So is Morgan Burnett worth 11 mil a year?

For a guy that has 9 interceptions in 8 seasons?  Burnett is one of those guys that always gets spoken of highly but never seems to produce.  It would be one thing if GB's secondary was solid on the back end but they aren't.  There are constant communication issues and missed assignments.  The middle of the field is always wide open.  I get Dom sucks but players gotta play too.  

I'd let the guy walk... I actually think Kentrell Brice is a better football player anyhow.  Jones will get better as well.  

I have mixed feelings about Morgan Burnett as well.   He was a pretty good player, but I never thought he was a great player.   That said... we've seen 2 DBs who I felt the same way about in Green Bay end up becoming Pro Bowlers elsewhere (Hayward, Hyde).  Maybe once Burnett leaves the same thing happens with him. 

In Burnett's early years, I thought he had the chance to be really something special but I never felt like it ever materialized completely.  Pretty good player, maybe above average, but never felt like a difference maker.  Heck, the Packers won the Super Bowl with Burnett being out for most of the season and Charlie Peprah taking his spot. 

Yes, but did Dom use Burnett properly? We saw with the other guys going to other teams and becoming pro bowlers that Dom and his assistants may not have had the best grasp on where players should be put for maximum success. Putting Burnett up into an LB position might not have been playing to his strengths.

Pretty sure Pettine will watch tape. Talk to Whitt and Perry. And decide wether or not Burnett is a fit for his defense. 

The Morgan we’ve watched the last few years isn’t worth $11 million / year.

But Morgan might be better than the version we’ve watched the last few years. 

If someone wants to offer Morgan $11 million though he’s probably gone. 

Regarding Jordy. He was leading the NFL in TD receptions and top 10 in yards when Rodgers went down in week 6. Only thing Jordy lost last year was a QB. 

Fandame posted:

I'd like to see an impact WR drafted as well, but I'd really like to see an ILB who can patrol the middle. As for WR, Geronimo hasn't taken the next step, Davis just seems like a sprinter and not a WR, Cobb is a slot guy and doesn't really open the field, Jordy is solid, Janis! is a STer only, Clark has potential but is raw. Adams is the only stud, but he's not a burner. A second top-notch guy would help open things up.

An inside LB who could run and hit would be a dream.

That ILB would be a guy named Roquan. He may fall to the Packers pick at 14. I'd be happy with that pick. The guy can play football. 

Burnett would be a good investment, even at 11 mil, if he can go to a SS role next to a ballhawking FS. He’s an instinctive player with great coverage skill, could be an all-pro in a Kam Chancellor type role. If they want to make him anything but that then he’s not worth the coin. The choice should either be him OR Dix, not both. They both play the same position, having two SS on the field has been an issue for this D. Burnett never really got to play next to Collins, if he had I think they could have have been among the best Safety tandems in the league.

Chancellor was only a difference maker because he had Earl Thomas next to him, who was actually a difference maker. Burnett has more tackles, more sacks, more INTs, and the same number of deflections as Chancellor through the same career span.

Eye Heart Green & Gold posted:
Fandame posted:You gonna pay any of those three the average of the top five QB salaries like you'd have to do if they franchise any of them? Here's what that looks like -- Stafford: $135 million over five years (which starts next year); Flacco, $24.55 million/year; Palmer, $24.125 million; Cousins, $23.93 million; Ryan, $23.75 million; Rodgers, $20.3 million. 

Absolutely.  $23M isn’t anything to a team in good cap shape for a one year prove it on Case. 

I mean, he’s only went 13-3 and has them in the NFCCG.....he’s no Brett Hundley but, you can’t have everything.

He’s already outplayed everybody on that list this year.

Actually, franchise tag for QBs this year will be about 35 million. I hope you pay that to all 3.

Bridgewater might be the only one to take a 1 yr prove it deal. Then, he'll play well enough with that D and Cook returning that they'll lock him up long term for + $20mm/yr. Unfortunately, as shown yesterday, the D may not be all that and eventually you need a QB to make plays.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.