Skip to main content

Henry posted:

I think it's been clearly stated the Vikings have no contracts to worry about in the future.  

More than anything this signing pushes the NFL closer to the failure that is MLB.  Stupid money for an average QB.  

My brother in law was helping us with our recent move and when dust settled and we were sitting around talking football quickly became a topic at hand.  Our consensus is pretty much the same, Cousins is the 3rd best QB in the NFC North, which makes him what 6th best in the entire NFC, and then like 12-14th best in the entire league. 

Henry posted:

Bring in Tramon, sign House.  Burn more picks at CB.  

Tramon and House are the only two CBs left on the market I would trust to put on an island on the outside. Unless there's a draft day trade for a CB in the works I think this will be their best bet. GB has familiarity with both and Pettine also has familiarity with Tramon in Cleveland. 

This and other moves may force Gute's hand, so to speak, in the upcoming draft.
There's slim pickin's for FAs currently, and there's no sense in waiting until roster cuts are made to acquire a starter. 
Of course, this may have been his plan all along, but the more that leave, the more that has to be replaced. And I'm not sure we want to depend on Pipkins and other fringe DBs...

Brown Paper Sack posted:

Not a whole lot left in free agency.  Is The Gute gonna wait for June 1st cuts to add?

Likely.  I'm guessing they don't see the need to push for anybody left so let the prices come down.  Or, the soothing sounds of Herb, Lenzy & Donatello are making all the girls swoon in the FO.  

It's getting harder and harder to defend frickin' Deshone Kizer.  Randall better have been playing with matches near the O2 tanks to justify the locker room cancer moniker.

I'm more than good with draft and develop but that backfield is too young.

Last edited by Henry

When you have a healthy Rodgers behind center, anything is possible. Anything.

He's the difference between 12-1 to win the Super Bowl & 30-1 without him.

If our team has the 10th best defense this year, lookout. That's all I'm saying. 

It's only March. Our top 22 isn't even close to being set yet. Lotta work to do. 

Brainwashed Boris posted:

When you have a healthy Rodgers behind center, anything is possible. Anything.

He's the difference between 12-1 to win the Super Bowl & 30-1 without him.

If our team has the 10th best defense this year, lookout. That's all I'm saying. 

It's only March. Our top 22 isn't even close to being set yet. Lotta work to do. 

I totally agree.  I also agree that if you have a healthy AR the offense will be just fine.  And if this team can play something resembling defense this year they will be a force to be dealt with.   My biggest concern as usual is injuries.  if the Packers can stay healthy for once I think we will be pleasently surprised how much talent they really do have.

I'm a fan of Pipkins. I expect him to be a significant/positive contributer this season.

HaHa and Kentrell I think will fit well in Pettine's defense.

Plus, the Packers have 12 picks and have a history of finding UDFA's. Thompson is still on the payroll and scouting. People may not think much of him as an overall GM, but he is still highly regarded when it comes to scouting.

Hungry5 posted:

People may not think much of him as an overall GM, but he is still highly regarded when it comes to scouting.

What "people"?? Yooperfan?!?!

He's a 2-time executive of the year. Has FOUR NFC CG appearances under his belt with a Super Bowl Champion title.

While I didn't agree with some of his moves (who did?)  He was still a damn good GM

The wildcard is Pettine.  I feel pretty good about that factor alone.  I really don't want to see another high CB pick pushing pass rush to the back burner this year.  Again, pretty much agree with Dougherty's recent article.  Invest heavily in pass rushers.  It's a fool's wager to think Perry and Matthews will remain healthy all season.  

I'd call Gusherheimer a genius if he could take Kizer and package him into a deal for a halfway decent CB or LB and a vet QB.  

Last edited by Henry
Hungry5 posted:

I'm a fan of Pipkins. I expect him to be a significant/positive contributer this season.

Plus, the Packers have 12 picks and have a history of finding UDFA's. Thompson is still on the payroll and scouting. People may not think much of him as an overall GM, but he is still highly regarded when it comes to scouting.

Jones is another wildcard.  With Burnett gone I'm curious to see where he actually lines up.  Plus, Pettine may pull off some reclamation projects like Rollins. 

Half way decent CB's that won't command silly money are hard to come by.

I don't agree that if our pass rush is better, even great, we can get by with what we currently have on the back end.  Especially come playoff time.  Good OC's and good QB's will find a way to throw and at some point you will need your secondary to step up.  Losing Burnett is going to hurt more than some people seem to think.  He didn't have flashy stats but the D always suffers when he is not on the field.  I am hoping Pettine decided that role was going to change and Burnett was suddenly expendable.

If they weren't going to pay for Burnett they probably weren't going to pay for any backfield help. Considering all the picks for the backfield recently maybe they are salvaging all those picks.  It just bothers me when you have that many UDFA lined up as starters or big contributors.  One or two, absolutely but 4 is a bit much.   King should hold down one side, the rest is potpourri.

Hungry5 posted:

After his play last year and then the balls to call out teammates when the season was over, I would have rather lost Dix and kept Burnett who, apparently, is the only capable defensive playcaller the Packers have.  UDFA's make for nice stories, but being forced to play them in the past has killed us - see 2016 NFCCG vs Atlanta.  Packers need experience in the secondary, not more youth. 

michiganjoe posted:

Time for Josh Jones to step up. Packers made a significant investment in him and they need to determine if he's closer to Nick Collins or Jerron McMillian.

No kidding. Kid sort of reminded me of a much more athletic and faster, but not as smert, version of the early GB version of Atari Bigby. Going for kill shots every play and not understanding the playbook ain't gonna work. 

He's exactly the type of player who Pettine, by reputation, should be able to turn into a major contributor. Figure out what a player can do and put him in a position to succeed. 

Packers are going to miss Morgan Burnett a lot. Somebody on the back end needs to step up and be that trusted vet presence. 

Last edited by ilcuqui

I’m not surprised that Burnett is moving on as the Packers do not have a lot of cap space and you can’t pay what he will command to be an average to above average player.   In addition, he’s missed a fair amount of games over the last 3 seasons.   Josh Jones is raw but has talent and Kentrell Brice showed flashes last season as well. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.