Skip to main content

There are plenty of examples in the league just how quickly the window can close on you.  Seattle is the best example because once they had to pay Wilson they couldn’t keep everybody else.  

The Rams and Eagles know this as well so no surprise they are spending $ like drunken sailors.  Once Goff and Wentz get paid they will have to adjust. 

As for the Vikings, they had their chance in 2017 and once again blew it.   In theory, they have a chance this year as well but everyone else in the NFC got a lot better as well and with a healthy Rodgers back the Vikings aren’t a shoe in to win the division much less a Super Bowl.  

Then you have next year when many of the key players are up for extensions.  The difference is Cousins ain’t Rodgers so good luck with that. 

Henry posted:
Not as Cool as B.P.S. posted:

So they won’t be able to re-sign any of those guys?

What, no edit?  You actually think you cherry pick and twist a nuance with me?  You do realize me being nice to you is simply out of pity.  

I asked you who they were going to lose.  You copy and pasted a list of 16 players.

So, are they losing all of those players or not?

I’ll tell you right now.  If they lose Cedric Lang or Mack Brown due to this year’s FA signings, I WILL BE VERY UPSET!!!!!

Diggs doesn’t seem like such a good option when he’s set to make 15MM per year. Kendricks and Barr are also likely to get paid. 

Hunter might be the best of the lot and good DL will get paid a lot of jack.  Maybe that’s in MN, maybe not. 

Trae Wayans has not lived up to the hype but next to left tackles and the QB I’d say nothing drives more demand than corners. If average to above average CBs are getting 10MM+ per year some team will pay the guy.  

If I had to guess the Vikings will be able to keep a couple of those guys but that assumes they extend them before 2019 and UFA.  Regardless, there is no way they keep that D totally intact. 

This is where paying Cousins 29MM in 2019 and 31MM in 2020 is just stupid.  They would have been better signing a guy like Keenum to a 1-2 year deal for less money and then draft a QB to replace him down the road.

Henry posted:

So they won’t be able to re-sign any of those guys?

What, no edit?  You actually think you cherry pick and twist a nuance with me?  You do realize me being nice to you is simply out of pity.  

I asked you who they were going to lose.  You copy and pasted a list of 16 players.

So, are they losing all of those players or not?

I’ll tell you right now.  If they lose Cedric Lang or Mack Brown due to this year’s FA signings, I WILL BE VERY UPSET!!!!!

I don't care what you asked. This is exactly why I reposted my post.  I stated the Vikings have a lot of contracts coming up.  Do you have a problem with the truth?  Of course you do Mr. Edit. 

Last edited by Henry
Henry posted:You do realize me being nice to you is simply out of pity.  

Lol.  I missed this the first time. Tell me you aren’t this big of a stooge in real life.  Pity. Howitzers. Blah, blah, blah

msg brd. srs bsnss.

Henry posted:

Somebody needs to change the saying to "Death and Vikings Spring Champs".

Tediously boring.

Looks like my two cats.  They're both lazy as f*** orange tabbies, although the fat one is a long-hair and the short-hair is relatively thin.

Henry posted:

Considering the hilarious QB show the Jets have put on I can see why.  Only problem is they suck at picking QBs.  

Ron Wolf was working for them at the time of the '91 draft.  He of course wanted Favre, but the Jets' GM wanted somebody else.  The pick after Atlanta picked Favre, the Jets picked... Browning Nagle.

Tschmack posted:

Diggs doesn’t seem like such a good option when he’s set to make 15MM per year. Kendricks and Barr are also likely to get paid. 

Hunter might be the best of the lot and good DL will get paid a lot of jack.  Maybe that’s in MN, maybe not. 

Trae Wayans has not lived up to the hype but next to left tackles and the QB I’d say nothing drives more demand than corners. If average to above average CBs are getting 10MM+ per year some team will pay the guy.  

If I had to guess the Vikings will be able to keep a couple of those guys but that assumes they extend them before 2019 and UFA.  Regardless, there is no way they keep that D totally intact. 

This is where paying Cousins 29MM in 2019 and 31MM in 2020 is just stupid.  They would have been better signing a guy like Keenum to a 1-2 year deal for less money and then draft a QB to replace him down the road.

There's some good points in this post regarding the guys coming up for big paydays. 

Diggs has to prove he can stay healthy.

Waynes has to prove he can make a play on the ball. Stays with the WR, but has to prove he can defend the ball consistently.

Hunter tailed off last year.  He's got to show more than a bull rush.

Good players, but they have to show more to earn that contract in my opinion.

Oh that big scary Vikings defense that got historically carved up by the Eagles backup QB that none of the QB needy teams tried to acquire. Hilarious! I’m sure Aaron Rodgers is terrified clutching his SB ring and his multiple MVP awards! Face it goober, that defense got exposed and will continue to get exposed and there won’t be much offense to make up the difference. 9-7 with the possibility of playoffs for the Fighting Cousins. Even if Mike Pettine is bust, history has shown Aaron Rodgers can carry his team to 10-6 at a minimum. It’s one of the perks of having a HOF QB.

Floridarob posted:

Jets acquire the 3rd pick in draft from colts for No 5, 37 and 49 and 2019 2nd round pic. Jets want a QB

I'd love to see two QB's off the board before they get to pick.

I think this also forces Cleveland's hand.  If they were thinking about taking Chubb or Barkley at #1 and then going QB at #4 the cupboard could be getting bare.

Grave Digger posted:

Face it goober, that defense got exposed and will continue to get exposed and there won’t be much offense to make up the difference. 

“The defense got exposed.”

In one game?  Why didn’t anybody other than the Eagles “expose” them?  The Saints averaged 28 points a game last year.  They “exposed” the Vikings for 24.

Meanwhile, the Vikings could only muster the #10 scoring offense with their backup QB, and their OROY RB on the sidelines.

you

The Vikings were OK against the Saints but allowing almost 400 yards isn’t exactly what I would call an elite level performance.   Philly probably could have scored 50 had they not called off the dogs in the second half.  

The Vikings were decent on D but don’t kid yourself.   They feasted on crappy teams and plenty of crappy opposing QBs during the season.  The good QBs they did face had some success against them. 

Seemed like they also played a lot better at home which isn’t totally surprising. 

Last edited by Tschmack

Hard to say what Zimmers playoff record should be. Blair shouldn’t miss that kick. They shouldn’t beat the Saints. They got boat raced by Philly. 

Regardless. Zimmer has been a scuttled mixture of **** when the lights are brightest. Best pray the playoffs don’t get all up in his head. 

Zimmer admitted that he got too comfortable with what was successful on D and never bothered to change it up come playoff time.  That bit him in the ass big time.

You don’t see many coaches honest enough to admit they made a mistake.

Grave Digger posted:

Face it goober, that defense got exposed and will continue to get exposed and there won’t be much offense to make up the difference. 

In one game?  Why didn’t anybody other than the Eagles “expose” them?  The Saints averaged 28 points a game last year.  They “exposed” the Vikings for 24.

Meanwhile, the Vikings could only muster the #10 scoring offense with their backup QB, and their OROY RB on the sidelines.

you

Grasping to rationalize getting pummeled by another team’s backup. That D is exposed and Rodgers and every other elite QB will tune them up this year. I’m betting they threw all that money at Chris Cousins so he didn’t put 30 points on them again like last year! They should probably trade for Nick Foles and Cam Newton because they did the same thing! They were and still are pretenders. Rodgers will break their back in the first game and the demoralized Vikings will plod through their season to another average finish like every other year. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

It’s too early to call him Martike ZImmenheimer. But it’s headed there. The Playoffs have a way of getting up in your head. The more you fail the more you try and outthink everything. Fear of playoff failure is suffocating. 

Problem with UVA is that Bennett is so good that they play at the highest level possible almost every night during the season, they don't have another level fueled by playoff urgency as other teams may. 

Grave Digger posted:
They should probably trade for Nick Foles and Cam Newton because they did the same thing!

You’d have some credibility if you actually knew what you were talking about.

Cam Newton - 13 for 25, 137 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

They might as well wait until Brett “the QB room is where it needs to be” Hundley gets cut and pick him up.  He’d probably look serviceable against the packers D.

The mighty packers are what, 4-4 against Zimmer?

YooperPackfan posted:
ammo posted:
YooperPackfan posted:
lambeausouth posted:
YooperPackfan posted:

Well I hope Gutekunst learned from this because it was total idiotness on his part

How so? If the Bears don't match, the Packers obtain a top CB on the market, and they don't have to give the Bears a single pick, because Fuller was transition tagged. 

If they do match, the Packers force them to commit to a long term deal where they had been unwilling to do so before. That eats up a large chunk of the Bears' available salary cap space. 

I would hardly call it an idiotic move. In fact, I've read multiple articles from sportswriters calling the move brilliant by our GM. 

Because the packers not only negotiated his contract for the bears but lowered his total cap number for 2018

Who cares about their cap number for 2018. They had $60 million available. It's the cap number in 2020 and beyond that matters.  Great move by Gute. 

Great move by Gute? Yup that’s what the Bears are saying after the “Great Gute” just made it easy and negotiated a contract for their starting CB

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/...season-bill-barnwell

From Bill Barnwell:

"The $18 million guarantee sounds like a modest increase on the $13 million transition tag or the $15 million franchise tag and a great deal for the Bears; swapping $5 million in guarantees for the right to lock down Fuller for the next three seasons sounds like a great move.

Unfortunately, the Packers didn't make it that simple. Reports suggest that Fuller will make $20 million in Year 1 of this deal and $29 million in Year 2, which is an enormous increase from the $10 million per year the Bears had previously been offering. The $18 million guaranteed number doesn't mean anything given the structure of the deal; the Bears might not have guaranteed that $9 million, but if it will cost them more money to cut Fuller in Year 2 than it would to keep him on the roster, he's not going anywhere."

Grave Digger posted:
Grave Digger posted:

you

Grasping to rationalize getting pummeled by another team’s backup. That D is exposed and Rodgers and every other elite QB will tune them up this year. I’m betting they threw all that money at Chris Cousins so he didn’t put 30 points on them again like last year! They should probably trade for Nick Foles and Cam Newton because they did the same thing! They were and still are pretenders. Rodgers will break their back in the first game and the demoralized Vikings will plod through their season to another average finish like every other year. 

You might want refrain from using the terms "Rodgers" and " break" in the same post.  

Brown Paper Sack posted:

Packards know they won't challenge Minnesota for the North, so they have to resort to "sabatoging" the Bears.

Funny, because Vegas oddsmakers, who are a lot smarter than you, have the Vikings and Packers in a dead heat for Super Bowl LIII.

Vikings currently at 11/1

Packers currently at 12/1

And we didn't "resort to sabotaging the Bears". Our GM identified a player that might be available (and Fuller signed the offer sheet) to fill our cornerback need, and forced Chicago to sign him to a four year deal for much more than they felt comfortable with committing to that point. It was a no lose proposition for the Packers-smart business practice by our rookie GM.

Your GM guaranteed 100% of an $84M deal for a QB that wasn't even top ten in the NFL last year in passer rating, and has never won a single playoff game. 

Brown Paper Sack posted:
Grave Digger posted:
Grave Digger posted:

you

You might want refrain from using the terms "Rodgers" and " break" in the same post.  

You might want to refrain from using "Vikings" and "#1 defense" in the same post when a backup QB embarrasses you.

Last edited by lambeausouth

I’m sure the collarbone is your favorite bone now. A cracked collarbone is the only reason the Vikings won their division. It’s hilarious you think that the Vikings are a threat to any Aaron Rodgers led team, even if they have no defense at all. I won’t burst your bubble, enjoy your success because it’s going away. This time next year you will be complaining about how much money they gaven Chris Cousins and talking about how Speilsman should have done more to improve the team. Gonna be really funny.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.