Skip to main content

Packdog posted:

Packers are playing a little catch-up after missing on multiple high picks in recent drafts. The 3 previous drafts :

• Damarius Randall - D1
  • Quenton Rollins - D2
  • Jason Spriggs - D2
  • Kyle Fackrell - D3
  • Josh Jones - D2

Remember when not too long ago it was heresy to criticize TT in any way.  One sideways comment and a bunch of posters on this board erupted in anger.  Hmmm, I guess he didn't  get old (ineffective) over night. 

Thanks Ted. 

PackLandVA posted:

Remember when not too long ago it was heresy to criticize TT in any way.  One sideways comment and a bunch of posters on this board erupted in anger.  Hmmm, I guess he didn't  get old (ineffective) over night. 

Thanks Ted. 

Jesus ****, one of these pussies. And you are a pussy. Perspectives change when more evidence comes to light. Just because you rode the whine train for an extended period of time makes you an accomplished, long term whiner and nothing more. Maybe you could get a head start on Gertnerdert.

Henry posted:
PackLandVA posted:

Thanks Ted. 

Jesus ****, one of these pussies. And you are a pussy. Perspectives change when more evidence comes to light. Perspective, like recently??  TT's drafts, FA strategy and 

Just because you rode the whine train for an extended period of time makes you an accomplished, long term whiner and nothing more. Maybe you could get a head start on Gertnerdert.

Didn't ride the whine train at all.  TT was very good for many years with the Packers.  But he also had many flaws.  Hardly used FA.  Never addressed MLB with Hawk.  Let MM hang on to Capers without forcing MM's hand.  And that was all BEFORE the last several drafts.  

TT was put on a pedestal years ago (and with good reason) but could never taken down.  And the scorn directed at posters who ever even suggested he was flawed was ridiculous.  He either got lazy, got tired, got ineffective or a combination. 

For whatever the reason, the Packers have one of the greatest QB talent's of all time and they have ONE Super Bowl to show.  And that was 9 seasons ago.  Blame MM all you want.  But TT is MM's boss.  And everyone saw Caper's flaws: posters, fans, DCs, HCs, commentators, radio and TV nitwits.  You name it.  But TT was gonna let MM handle staff. Whatever.  

Call me a pu$$y or anything else you want.  I'm fine with it.  This is a message board.  But TT didn't suddenly become ineffective.  This isn't hindsight.  Posters were critical of him for several years (the most glaring mistake IMO being MLB).  And the venom spewed was ridiculous.  TT could do no wrong.  Well, as it turns out, he was fairly ineffective in the draft the last few years (at least with high picks and trades), he continued to ignore FA, and he did virtually nothing with the coaching staff.

I'm not gonna get into some name-calling, attack mode back and forth with you.  That's my opinion and calling me a pu$$y or anything else isn't gonna change my feelings non hurt my feelings.  I actually find it kinda funny how you seem to get all worked up sometimes and go into "beast mode".  Adds to the board.  Maybe not to those on the receiving end.  But it's mostly humorous.

Last edited by PackLandVA

I don’t think people got called out or criticized for saying “TT is overall pretty good, but he has flaws...” it was people calling for him to be fired because he didn’t sign free agents or because he didn’t pick some player they liked in the draft. People didn’t like TT because he replaced Favre, those were generally the people that got beat down on here because every mistake was blown up to be a fireable offense.

If you look at the last five of TT's drafts with an objective eye, it's kind of like all drafts: up and down. You could argue that his best picks in the last five years (taking in injuries/production) were: Clark, Davante, Linsley, and Bak. You'd like to have one or two more, and they may come in King, JWilliams, AJones. 

(I put the upper-tier players in bold (or who look like upper-tier now), the average in italics, and the Who Is That? in regular text.)

King, JJones (jury out; last year good, this year MIA), M. Adams (may be higher), Biegel, J Williams (potential for more), Yancey, A Jones (potential for more), Kofi Amichia (doesn't he work at the UN?), Dupre, D. Mays

Clark, Spriggs, Fackrell, Martinez, Lowry, T Davis, Murphy

D. Randall, Q Rollins, T Montgomery (part of one good year only), Ryan, Hundley, Ripkowski, Ringo, K Backman

HaHa (should be bold if plays to ability), D. Adams, Thornton, R Rodgers, Bradford, Linsley, Abbrederis, Goodson, JJanis

Datone Jones, Lacy (once excellent, then not so much), Bak, Tretter, J Franklin (wish we could have found out), Hyde (for us, better for others), J Boyd, Palmer, C Johnson, K Dorsey, S Barrington

Fandame posted:

If you look at the last five of TT's drafts with an objective eye, it's kind of like all drafts: up and down. You could argue that his best picks in the last five years (taking in injuries/production) were: Clark, Davante, Linsley, and Bak. You'd like to have one or two more, and they may come in King, JWilliams, AJones. 

(I put the upper-tier players in bold (or who look like upper-tier now), the average in italics, and the Who Is That? in regular text.)

King, JJones (jury out; last year good, this year MIA), M. Adams (may be higher), Biegel, J Williams (potential for more), Yancey, A Jones (potential for more), Kofi Amichia (doesn't he work at the UN?), Dupre, D. Mays

D. Randall, Q Rollins, T Montgomery (part of one good year only), Ryan, Hundley, Ripkowski, Ringo, K Backman

HaHa (should be bold if plays to ability), D. Adams, Thornton, R Rodgers, Bradford, Linsley, Abbrederis, Goodson, JJanis

Datone Jones, Lacy (once excellent, then not so much), Bak, Tretter, J Franklin (wish we could have found out), Hyde (for us, better for others), J Boyd, Palmer, C Johnson, K Dorsey, S Barrington

Would love for you to have graded some of my high school papers.

Agree that D. Adams and Bak are upper tier player and Clark looks like he is about to join them. 

Lacy was upper tier for just 2 years and then flopped.

Martinez and Linsley were decent 4th and 5th round picks, but they are average players at their positions.

KIng has proven nothing yet. We hope he is the real deal. We also hope he is not an injury washout. 

For sake of comparison, during this same time span Rick Spielman of the Queens drafted top tier players Rhodes, Kendricks, Diggs, Hunter, and signed top tier Thielen as a rookie UDFA. I'd also put Vikings 2017 rookies Dalvin Cook and the Pat Elflein in the same boat as K. King -- if they stay healthy they could be top tier. 

Of course no discussion of Ted would be complete without mentioning the other ways GM's can add talent to their rosters. Ted  lived and died with the draft unlike any other GM. As a result, there is not a single projected 2018 starter or "next man up" reserve that Ted signed as a veteran free agent or acquired in a player trade.

The lack of return from Ted's drafts between 2013-2107 and truthfully from 2011 onward and his decisions to shy away from signing veteran free agents and to not make player trades took a toll on the roster and undoubtedly led to his "transfer" within the organization last offseason.

SteveLuke posted:
ChilliJon posted:

Spielman used 3 first rounders for QBs since 2011 that aren’t on the roster today. Stop talking. 

And despite that wastefulness, he still outdrafted TT.

Stop defending.

Rick used 4 picks on a WR that left MN before his rookie deal was over. 

I gotta ask. What guide or rating are you using for Rick outdrafting Ted? And WTF does that even mean?

STEVELUKE:
The lack of return from Ted's drafts between 2013-2107 and truthfully from 2011 onward and his decisions to shy away from signing veteran free agents and to not make player trades took a toll on the roster and undoubtedly led to his "transfer" within the organization last offseason.

Everyone knew Capers was killing the Packer's chances of another SB with Rodgers.  Years have been lost.

I hold TT accountable for not laying the iron on MM and mandating that Capers is fired, with or without MM.  Three years ago at least.

To me, that needs to be added to the need to transfer list.

SteveLuke posted:
Fandame posted:

If you look at the last five of TT's drafts with an objective eye, it's kind of like all drafts: up and down. You could argue 

Agree that D. Adams and Bak are upper tier player and Clark looks like he is about to join them. 

Martinez and Linsley were decent 4th and 5th round picks, but they are average players at their positions.

KIng has proven nothing yet. We hope he is the real deal. We also hope he is not an injury washout. 

For sake of comparison, during this same time span Rick Spielman of the Queens drafted top tier players Rhodes, Kendricks, Diggs, Hunter, and signed top tier Thielen as a rookie UDFA. I'd also put Vikings 2017 rookies Dalvin Cook and the Pat Elflein in the same boat as K. King -- if they stay healthy they could be top tier. 

Of course no discussion of Ted would be complete without mentioning the other ways GM's can add talent to their rosters. Ted  lived and died with the draft unlike any other GM. As a result, there is not a single projected 2018 starter or "next man up" reserve that Ted signed as a veteran free agent or acquired in a player trade.

I am a high school teacher. You really don’t want me grading your work. I’ve heard my students say, “I’m happy getting a B from her because it’s like an A+ from any other teacher.” Or, “I got my essay back and it was bleeding to death from red ink.”  :-)

PackLandVA posted:

Didn't ride the whine train at all.  TT was very good for many years with the Packers.  But he also had many flaws.  Hardly used FA.  Never addressed MLB with Hawk.  Let MM hang on to Capers without forcing MM's hand.  And that was all BEFORE the last several drafts.  

TT was put on a pedestal years ago (and with good reason) but could never taken down.  And the scorn directed at posters who ever even suggested he was flawed was ridiculous.  He either got lazy, got tired, got ineffective or a combination. 

For whatever the reason, the Packers have one of the greatest QB talent's of all time and they have ONE Super Bowl to show.  And that was 9 seasons ago.  Blame MM all you want.  But TT is MM's boss.  And everyone saw Caper's flaws: posters, fans, DCs, HCs, commentators, radio and TV nitwits.  You name it.  But TT was gonna let MM handle staff. Whatever.  

Call me a pu$$y or anything else you want.  I'm fine with it.  This is a message board.  But TT didn't suddenly become ineffective.  This isn't hindsight.  Posters were critical of him for several years (the most glaring mistake IMO being MLB).  And the venom spewed was ridiculous.  TT could do no wrong.  Well, as it turns out, he was fairly ineffective in the draft the last few years (at least with high picks and trades), he continued to ignore FA, and he did virtually nothing with the coaching staff.

I'm not gonna get into some name-calling, attack mode back and forth with you.  That's my opinion and calling me a pu$$y or anything else isn't gonna change my feelings non hurt my feelings.  I actually find it kinda funny how you seem to get all worked up sometimes and go into "beast mode".  Adds to the board.  Maybe not to those on the receiving end.  But it's mostly humorous.

Nothing says butthurt like "I told you so".   Especially when you keep saying it for years on end.

BTW, super pussy.

Last edited by Henry
SteveLuke posted:
Fandame posted:

Here's the prime example.  So what bothers you about Gert?  Get that train rolling.  

Bunch of ****ing whiney pussies hoisting yourself on your own petard because, HOLY ****, a coaching and GM changed in the NFL.  You're lucky you could snivel for 10 years straight.  Most fans don't get that long.

Do you guys need crisis counseling considering how much you've had to deal with?  Can I get you a hot cup of cocoa?

You two were worried about how maligned you were I can keep that going for you if it feels more comfortable.

Last edited by Henry
SteveLuke posted:
ChilliJon posted:

Spielman used 3 first rounders for QBs since 2011 that aren’t on the roster today. Stop talking. 

And despite that wastefulness, he still outdrafted TT.

Stop defending.

Did you bring up Spielman?  Really?  You might as well put on your scarlet V chump.  

If you girls want to make this a pissing match about not getting an invite to the sweet 16 party, I'm in.  

TT had a good run and it's over.  Murphy forgot to fire one guy because he was in the same boat as TT. 

Christ, I can't stand assholes that linger just for the "I told you so".   It's your whole existence on this board.  ****, what will you talk about now? 

If you want to make this about your sad persecution I'll be your Torquemada.   

Last edited by Henry
Henry posted:
SteveLuke posted:
Fandame posted:

Here's the prime example.  So what bothers you about Gert?  Get that train rolling.  

Bunch of ****ing whiney pussies hoisting yourself on your own petard because, HOLY ****, a coaching and GM changed in the NFL.  You're lucky you could snivel for 10 years straight.  Most fans don't get that long.

Do you guys need crisis counseling considering how much you've had to deal with?  Can I get you a hot cup of cocoa?

You two were worried about how maligned you were.  I can keep that going for you if it feels more comfortable.

Whoa there, nellie! I wasn’t whining, complaining, or woe-is-ussing. If you read it, I said I was looking at it with an objective eye. You could argue TT started lagging in the last couple years, but then again, depending on if guys make a year 2 jump, 2017 could be a very good draft by TT — or not. 

PackLandVA posted:
Henry posted:
PackLandVA posted:

Thanks Ted. 

Jesus ****, one of these pussies. And you are a pussy. Perspectives change when more evidence comes to light. Perspective, like recently??  TT's drafts, FA strategy and 

Just because you rode the whine train for an extended period of time makes you an accomplished, long term whiner and nothing more. Maybe you could get a head start on Gertnerdert.

Heh.

Fandame posted:

Whoa there, nellie! I wasn’t whining, complaining, or woe-is-ussing. If you read it, I said I was looking at it with an objective eye. You could argue TT started lagging in the last couple years, but then again, depending on if guys make a year 2 jump, 2017 could be a very good draft by TT — or not. 

Of course not you.  Friendly fire.  

Last edited by Henry
phaedrus posted:

Everyone knew Capers was killing the Packer's chances of another SB with Rodgers.  Years have been lost.

I hold TT accountable for not laying the iron on MM and mandating that Capers is fired, with or without MM.  Three years ago at least.

To me, that needs to be added to the need to transfer list.

No, a number of people thought it was Capers "only". It's still way too early, but if Pettine doesn't really get much better results then can we really still  put the majority of blame on Capers? If he's handed inferior talent, there's only so much he can do. That's not to say Capers was blameless, but how much variety can you run when you're handed a bag of dog **** for a defensive backfield and inside linebackers who can't run and cover a tackle eligible.

Capers D was the ever present essence of failure on the field.  The sea change for me was seeing how utterly incompetent MM was in managing his staff on the offensive side of the ball so it stood to reason his decision making was the same for The Wizard.  The whole apparatus broke down without Rodgers.  Super OC should've been ****canned as well.

The reason why Capers gets the rap is seeing players who took a **** ton of grief to succeed elsewhere.  If they were being used incorrectly in Green Bay, well, that's on Capers and his inability to adjust from his super genius defenses.  That's what we're waiting to see from Pettine.  The ability to adjust in the face of defense with a bunch of question marks.    

Did The Wizard keep such stalwarts as Carl Bradford?  No, but we saw **** for development too.  Fackerell is making a pretty strong argument for The Wizard right now but saying that whole defense was devoid of talent just doesn't float.  

I've also got beef with how The Wizard was drawing up a new surefire defense every year that shifted from two gap to one gap or even different styles in one gap and then supposedly needing those types of players.  Well, that's when you get Datone Jones to "flow" down the line with his quick frame to penetrate the backfield.  That worked.  How many Dlinemen did they try to convert to LB?  I can't even remember. 

So I'll put it at this, MM needs to be fired but he won't because he got his two binkies back in the form of Rodgers and Philbin.  Pettine, total unknown at this point.  It definitely helps to have a more flexible GM but both are unknown quantities.  Hard to say what moves are beneficial at this point and MM's interference is unknown as well.   

TT whiffed, no doubt.  MM failed spectacularly and The Wizard was a big part of that equation.  

Hearing about TT being a total failure when you can't even evaluate a draft for 3 years is a bunch of revisionist horse****.  There was a good degree of success over his tenure and it broke down towards the end.  This ****ing "I told you so" candy ass crap is such a boatload of pussy it's unreal.  The breakdowns were becoming evident and to think fans weren't seeing the shift is stupid. 

I'll take your brand of "you're wrong" any day as it's dickishly defended, which is x4, not the whiny persecution crap.  Bunch of candy asses.  

So to sum up, the whole thing went down but The Wizard was a big factor in the colossal failures, especially with those ****ed up mental breakdowns that cost championships.  They were there, it was in their grasp and the defense failed every ****ing time.  

I'd really be curious as to who and how much input was used to make roster decisions.  There is just no way that was all TT.  Makes no sense.  MM's complete failure as an HC to manage his staff sure the hell was going to affect which players are on the field as well.  I'm more torqued he's still employed.

Last edited by Henry

I'd also like to point out with all the holes in the defense GoGurt's big splash was Jimmy Graham and hopefully Wilkerson.  Bringing in Tramon was welcome but that kind of move would've had the hothouse flowers huffing and puffing as well under TT.  An ancient DB?  My stars!

Instead, he drafted a punter in the 5th and one LB in the 7th and a shotgun approach to WR, which we've seen before.  I truly hope he makes some moves for LB depth because that position is on life support.

But here's the beauty of it.  I'll wait and see how it shakes out.  I love roughing up Opie but I hope he is the next Ray Guy.  If that defense continues to get smoked because of zero pass rush, yeah, I will bitch about not taking a flyer on anyone in the fifth to at least provide depth, especially when you already had Vogel.  You've got 3 guys right now and we all know Matthews and Perry will get hurt at some point.  Gilbert is a nice story but he's a backup, that's it.  Hell, that's got to be more than enough to get the "I knew he would fail because I told you so " train rolling.  

Let's see what ****ing happens first.

Last edited by Henry

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.