Skip to main content

Henry posted:

TT whiffed, no doubt.  MM failed spectacularly and The Wizard was a big part of that equation. .....

I'd really be curious as to who and how much input was used to make roster decisions.  There is just no way that was all TT.  Makes no sense.  MM's complete failure as an HC to manage his staff sure the hell was going to affect which players are on the field as well.  I'm more torqued he's still employed.

Have similar feelings on MM. Not very confident in his ability to manage his assistants, his innate stubbornness, late game strategy, use of challenges, clock management, or especially in-game- adjustments. The best thing he has going for him is Rodgers. Period .  As I've been saying - hopefully Philbin and Pettine raise MM's IQ.

As for TT, the guy slipped a bit after being one of the leagues best GM's . It happens. Hopefully Goodpussy will provide the flexibility in player acquisition that Ted wasn't able to adapt to. Ted was a great GM, but it was time to move forward.

Always wondered about the final decisions on the roster.  Who gave the final approval to trade up for Spriggs, draft Fackrell,  or Carl Bradford. Etc....??? maybe it was Gute or Elliott Wolf, the guys we were all clamoring to replace Ted. 

Last edited by Packdog
Herschel posted:
phaedrus posted:

Everyone knew Capers was killing the Packer's chances of another SB with Rodgers.  Years have been lost.

I hold TT accountable for not laying the iron on MM and mandating that Capers is fired, with or without MM.  Three years ago at least.

To me, that needs to be added to the need to transfer list.

No, a number of people thought it was Capers "only". It's still way too early, but if Pettine doesn't really get much better results then can we really still  put the majority of blame on Capers? If he's handed inferior talent, there's only so much he can do. That's not to say Capers was blameless, but how much variety can you run when you're handed a bag of dog **** for a defensive backfield and inside linebackers who can't run and cover a tackle eligible.

It's games like SF in the playoffs where Kaepernick had the level of success he had that places me in the "It's not just the personnel, it is also the coach" category.

Agree the personnel has absolutely been an issue.

TT slipped, and losing Schneider, Dorsey, and McKenzie in the personnel department made his job tougher.   I remember when TT first came back from his hip surgery a couple years ago, when he talked, he sounded like a 90 year old man.  

He eventually recovered and sounded closer to his old self, but I have a hard time believing he could work the 80+ hour weeks of the NFL grind like he could years before.  Father time will strip all of us out of our prime years eventually, and TT was no exception.  He did a great job in his younger years but it was time to move on.

Henry posted:

I'd also like to point out with all the holes in the defense GoGurt's big splash was Jimmy Graham and hopefully Wilkerson.  Bringing in Tramon was welcome but that kind of move would've had the hothouse flowers huffing and puffing as well under TT.  An ancient DB?  My stars!

Instead, he drafted a punter in the 5th and one LB in the 7th and a shotgun approach to WR, which we've seen before.  I truly hope he makes some moves for LB depth because that position is on life support.

But here's the beauty of it.  I'll wait and see how it shakes out.  I love roughing up Opie but I hope he is the next Ray Guy.  If that defense continues to get smoked because of zero pass rush, yeah, I will bitch about not taking a flyer on anyone in the fifth to at least provide depth, especially when you already had Vogel.  You've got 3 guys right now and we all know Matthews and Perry will get hurt at some point.  Gilbert is a nice story but he's a backup, that's it.  Hell, that's got to be more than enough to get the "I knew he would fail because I told you so " train rolling.  

Let's see what ****ing happens first.

While I truly believe that Graham will make a huge difference in the passing game, do not sleep on what Marcedes will bring to this offense.

I think he will be the true difference maker at TE.

Finally, we have a TE that can actually block and catch a pass...

He is a huge addition to the offense. Maybe to the entire team....

Packers sign RB Bronson Hill

The Packers signed a running back on Saturday and they added another one to the roster on Sunday.

The team announced the addition of Bronson Hill to their backfield. LeShun Daniels signed on Saturday when the Packers placed Akeem Judd on the reserve/retired list.

Both signings come after Jamaal Williams sprained his ankle in Thursday’s game against the Steelers. Aaron Jones, who will serve a two-game suspension to open the year, has also dealt with hamstring trouble this summer.

Hill had one carry in two games with the Cardinals last year and he ran twice for 11 yards in three appearances for the Jaguars during the 2016 season. He’s also spent time with the Bills, Bears, Dolphins, Saints, Bengals and Vikings. He was announced as one of the first 100 signees of the Alliance of American Football, but AAF deals have an out for players to pursue NFL opportunities.

The Packers had an open roster spot, so there was no need for a corresponding move on Sunday.

MNPackman posted:
michiganjoe posted:

Well worth kicking the tires on.

Do it Gutey.......

Yeppers!

BrainDed posted:

TT should have been let go years ago.   The Hawk contracts, yes plural, the Brad Jones contract and his refusal to even attempt to plug the gaping hole at S with FA is where it started.    Those weren't hindsight mistakes, those were all of the league laughing at him mistakes as they happened.  

Hence the structural change.  Before Murphy stepped in it seemed he was pretty happy to be pulling Goodell's pecker.  Pretty big move.  The structure worked in the past and TT got too hands off.  I think there are a few reasons for it but the fact is everyone was working in their own dysfunctional spheres and it went to ****. 

I'm incredibly curious to see how Highsmith and Elliot fare because they were either a big part of the **** show or trying to get clear of it.    

Last edited by Henry
pkr_north posted:

sign him.  safety is a negative this year, let's have a strong backfield, strong d line, then roll the dice with LB's.  21 is really bad, not sure what's going on, but has regressed since his run a couple years ago.  tackling is bad, angles are bad, i don't know.

If LB is going to suck, and it will, load up on every other position you can get.  Sure would be nice if someone jettisoned a capable tackle at this point too.

bvan posted:

Packers sign RB Bronson Hill

The Packers signed a running back on Saturday and they added another one to the roster on Sunday.

The team announced the addition of Bronson Hill to their backfield. LeShun Daniels signed on Saturday when the Packers placed Akeem Judd on the reserve/retired list.

Both signings come after Jamaal Williams sprained his ankle in Thursday’s game against the Steelers. Aaron Jones, who will serve a two-game suspension to open the year, has also dealt with hamstring trouble this summer.

Hill had one carry in two games with the Cardinals last year and he ran twice for 11 yards in three appearances for the Jaguars during the 2016 season. He’s also spent time with the Bills, Bears, Dolphins, Saints, Bengals and Vikings. He was announced as one of the first 100 signees of the Alliance of American Football, but AAF deals have an out for players to pursue NFL opportunities.

The Packers had an open roster spot, so there was no need for a corresponding move on Sunday.

Would like to see Devante Mays back on the field before the end of the pre-season.  Been out going on three weeks with a hamstring injury.

"It's not a democracy," Thompson said at his pre-draft news conference Thursday. "At the end of the day, it's my call and we try to take the best player. . . . I'm not saying that to say I'm such an overlying decision-maker. It's just that's my job and my responsibility."
JSO 04/18/2013

As can be expected, there is always diversity of opinion within the war room regarding prospects. Thompson says he hears what his assistants have to say, but he ultimately makes the call. "It's not a democracy," he explained.
Acme Packing Company.com 04/22/2015

These quotes were related to the draft, not necessarily FA acquisition, but I doubt there was much difference, whether it came from MM, Wolf, McKenzie, et al.

Fandame posted:

Don't you think final approval would rest with TT on the draft? I mean personnel guys have input and lobby for "their guy" but the GM is the guy who sends in the name...

Absolutely, but there is no way the heads of college scouting and pro personnel aren't major contributors to who is chosen.  TT was a good scout but he wasn't covering everything.  If the condemnation of TT was he was too soft and let stuff slide I'm pretty sure he probably wasn't taking a hardline stance in the draft either.

That Bronson Hill signing, that's some scrub of the scrubs camp fodder right there.

Last edited by Henry

It really seems like you're letting TT off the hook for fukking up in the same way I get accused of making excuses for Dom Capers. Seems like you're blaming Gute, Wolf, MM, Capers, and anyone except TT for schitting the bed when it came to the draft. I like TT, it's okay to think he was a good GM AND he fukked up, they all fukk up. The reason we're in the pickle we're in right now is because TT didn't draft well, he allocated money to wrong players, and he didn't pay for his mistakes by signing FA's to fill gaps. 

The flip side is Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde are looking like pretty good picks playing elsewhere. Possibly because they’re receiving competent coaching. Had they received the same coaching in GB then Randall and Rollins are probably never drafted and those picks are BPA instead of the need selections they had to be. 

I get there is a lot of speculation and hypothetical here. But in order for the operational wheels to turn you can’t have a ****ed up gear. Dom was a ****ed up gear and Mike failed to address it which forced the front office to possibly look at areas of need in the draft that maybe weren’t problems at all but self inflicted. 

But they did have success here. Hayward and Hyde earned big contracts BECAUSE they had success in GB. They're being utilized better at their current teams for sure and Dom Capers wasn't the answer, but I think the areas that were fukked up were fukked up because we wasted valuable picks on guys like Quentin Rollins, Kyler Fackrell, Khyri Thornton, Derek Sherrod, Jason Spriggs, etc. Maybe a lack of talent magnified the coaching weakness, but the primary illness was a lack of talent.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.