Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don’t know if I agree. A C that can defend the perimeter, sure, maybe. It’s tough to say though... the traditional C just doesn’t fit anymore. Ideally the Bucks would have the athleticism on the floor with Maker to thrive, but as we’ve seen teams that have a banger really hammer him on the boards. Another season of strength training hopefully will solve some of that. 

Really, I don’t see a C in this draft that solves the rebounding issue. That may be as much about scheme and coaching as personnel...

Last edited by Music City

Agree that the traditional Center is a thing of the past. Not saying we should use a max contract or even our D1 on a Center,  just so tired of seeing Henson and Thon get shoved around. End-of-life Al Horford and the big white doofy C on the Celtics just schooled the Bucks inside. Would've been even worse had we played Philly and Embiid. Gotta get a big body to match up at times. 

Music City posted:

I don’t know if I agree. A C that can defend the perimeter, sure, maybe. It’s tough to say though... the traditional C just doesn’t fit anymore. Ideally the Bucks would have the athleticism on the floor with Maker to thrive, but as we’ve seen teams that have a banger really hammer him on the boards. Another season of strength training hopefully will solve some of that. 

Really, I don’t see a C in this draft that solves the rebounding issue. That may be as much about scheme and coaching as personnel...

None of the teams that were the real title contenders this year had a traditional center. They have big, quick guys that can defend on the perimeter and still rebound. As you say, Maker should be the guy. He's potentially in the Clint Capela, Igoudala, Draymond Green, Al Horford, Tristan Thompson mold. Maker just has to get stronger so he can be the 10-12 rebound guy.

Traditional centers (or stretch 4 types that aren't quick) get killed by the offenses designed to isolate them on the perimeter (Kevin Love, Pachulia, Ryan Anderson, Dwight Howard, Greg Monroe, etc.). Henson fits this role without the shooting that a guy like Kevin Love or Ryan Anderson provides.

The Bucks need one the guys cut from the mold of the first group, but those guys are now at a premium and Maker has a better chance of being that than anyone they are going to get at their draft slot.

The poor-man's Kevin Love/Ryan Anderson types you can get at their draft slot. If they can shoot the 3, rebound well, and not be a complete liability of defense, that's someone who can contribute in the Teletovic role. Basically guys like Moritz Wagner (or Kaminsky and Leuer). 10-15 minutes a game that you play against other teams second units

Last edited by MichiganPacker

Mitchel Robinson could be there at 17.

Five star talent coming out of high School, but right now no one knows what to expect from him and if he really has the desire and drive to make it in the NBA.

Music City posted:

That kid Donte DiVincenzo looks like he’s a lot better than some of the guys they have in the lottery...

At the very least, you know he's going to be a good role player (I think he'll be a very good starter). He can play defense and is a great shooter. He actually reminds me of Klay Thompson.

It always amazes me how much NBA teams typically downplay shooting ability in draft prospects. Many teams will take the "superior athlete" who can't shoot over the average (for NBA standards) athlete who can shoot the lights out. It's why Steph Curry was drafted behind Rubio and Johnny Flynn. Why Durant was drafted behind Oden. Why Kyle Korver wasn't drafted until the end of the 2nd round. I think a lot of GMs and coaches think they can teach shooting. Maybe to some extent, but shooting is athletic skill that is one thing you can absolutely extrapolate from college to pros. If you can shoot the lights out in a NCAA title game (and it's not a Spike Albrecht outlier), you'll have a role in the NBA.

Call him DiVo- because he’s going to whip it... 

I love the pick. I don’t expect him to contribute right away. The Bucks are pretty deep on the wing- but he offers shooting, and is a better prospect than Muhammad. The game comes easy to him- he can really shoot, but he can attack as well.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to Sterling a Brown now. 

I was really hoping that Michael Porter Jr. would fall to the Bucks at 17 and he nearly did.  Sure, he’s an injury risk, but he might be the best pure offensive player in the draft.  It might seem like a stretch but he’s the closest prospect I’ve seen being compared to Kevin Durant in a long time.   Denver got a steal with him assuming he stays healthy but in the middle of the 1st round that’s a risk worth taking. 

DiVencenzo was probably my second favorite option so I’m not the least bit disappointed.  He was a reliable 3 point shooter and made a lot of clutch plays for Villanova.   He plays with a lot of energy and hustle and was an underrated defender.   The only concern I have is he’s really a tweener in that he’s a bit undersized to play the 2 guard and I’m not sure he’s got the ball handling and passing skills to excel at the PG spot.   Still,  he’s someone that can help in the backcourt and much like Brogdon can play multiple spots. 

If nothing else, DiVencenzo will get Dellavadova's minutes (or the fossilized version of Jason Terry we had to play meaningful minutes in the playoffs). They are the same type of player - except that I don't think DiVencenzo will be quite the liability Delly was at times this year.

Giannis, Middleton, Brogdon, Maker, Bledsoe, Parker, Snell, DiVencenzo should be the rotation guys next year. Parker should be the only defensive liability in that bunch, but still not sure where the rebounding is going to come from.

Blair Kiel posted:

Dude needs to fix the spelling of his damn name.

That is a lot easier than trying to develop a three-point shot.

Plus he's got a hot mom who makes great pasta.  That's all I really need to know.

Goalline posted:
Music City posted:

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to Sterling a Brown now. 

Decided to join the Milwaukee police force.

You joke, but that’s part of what I’m wondering. If he wants out, the Bucks just drafted his replacement. But I hope he stays- he could be pretty good. 

JSO talking about the Bucks crowded backcourt, and they’re listing him at PG. but I don’t see him as a PG. 

I think the Bucks going after combo Gs is strategic with Giannis playing a point forward. The way they’re constructed they have only one real PG on the roster. They’re modeling their roster after the Heat and Cavaliers have with Lebron. 

But they can’t keep all of them. Deal Delly, Snell... is rather they keep Brown. 

Honestly i would deal Bledsoe before any of those other guys.  His style of play and lack of focus and just about negates all the good things he can do.  Start Brogdon and DD and bring Delly and Snell off the bench. 

MichiganPacker posted:

but still not sure where the rebounding is going to come from.

How about Javale McGee or Zaza or David West? They're all Free Agents.

Last edited by Boris
Brainwashed Boris posted:
MichiganPacker posted:

but still not sure where the rebounding is going to come from.

How about Javale McGee or Zaza or David West? They're all Free Agents.

Superman can be had for very little.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.