Skip to main content

Good evening ladies,

Against the advice of my lawyers and therapists, I am once again operating all NFL Draft viewing operations for Timesfour. Somehow, between the constant negging/second guessing of seasoned professional talent evaluaters, the bland yammering of Kiper/McShay/Mayock/Dez/Bongya, and cringing every time some Hooray Henry Texans fan gets invited up to the podium to butcher the name of a 5th round pick, my love of copypasting and embedding Youtube videos with rap songs pretty much everyone on here finds offensive overrules it all.

Here are simple rules I came up with to make sure that we all have a great time!

1. Please be nice to me.
  2. Do not own me.
  3. If your birthday falls on draft weekend, you have to change it to the weekend after next.
  4. Any mention of Capers of any kind or context will result in an electric shock to the balls. No question asked. No exceptions.
  5. The NFL is continuing to ruin a niche event by trying to add all sorts of distracting side shows and gimmicks to make it more appealing to the "mainstream" viewer. These changes are purely cosmetic and superficial gimmicks that don't solve any of the league's real problems, which when you think about is pretty much how I run my life except I don't have Robert Kraft using me as a puppet or a bunch of concussed steroid addicts trying to sue me lol.

Great ideas rooted in love.(R)

Last edited by Rusty
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just did this FanSpeak mock with the CBS mock. I'm pleased:

4: R1P14
 CB JOSHUA JACKSON
IOWA

45: R2P13 
WR JAMES WASHINGTON
OKLAHOMA ST.

76: R3P12 
DL B.J. HILL
NC STATE

101: R4P1 
EDGE UCHENNA NWOSU
USC

133: R4P33 
JESSIE BATES III
WAKE FOREST

138: R5P1 
LB JASON CABINDA
PENN ST.

172: R5P35 
CB DANE CRUIKSHANK
ARIZONA

174: R5P37 
TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN

186: R6P12 
QB MIKE WHITE
W. KENTUCKY

207: R6P33 
WR DYLAN CANTRELL
TEXAS TECH

232: R7P14 
JAMIL DEMBY
MAINE

239: R7P21 
RB MIKE BOONE
CINCINNATI
Rusty posted:

Good evening ladies,

Against the advice of my lawyers and therapists, I am once again operating all NFL Draft viewing operations for Timesfour. 

Here are simple rules I came up with to make sure that we all have a great time!

1. Please be nice to me.
  2. Do not own me.
  3. If your birthday falls on draft weekend, you have to change it to the weekend after next.
  4. Any mention of Capers of any kind or context will result in an electric shock to the balls. No question asked. No exceptions.
  5. The NFL is continuing to ruin a niche event by trying to add all sorts of distracting side shows and gimmicks to make it more appealing to the "mainstream" viewer. These changes are purely cosmetic and superficial gimmicks that don't solve any of the league's real problems, which when you think about is pretty much how I run my life except I don't have Robert Kraft using me as a puppet or a bunch of concussed steroid addicts trying to sue me lol.

Well played

Thanks Rusty.

Brainwashed Boris posted:
Rusty posted:

Good evening ladies,

Against the advice of my lawyers and therapists, I am once again operating all NFL Draft viewing operations for Timesfour. 

1. Please be nice to me.
  2. Do not own me.

Well played

Thanks Rusty.

Rusty is a ginger dink who loves The Wizard.  Did I cover them all?

Grave Digger posted:

Mayock says Louisville CB Jaire Alexander. Would be an interesting pick. Kind of short, but to me he's 1a and 1b with Denzel Ward in terms of man coverage ability and challenging receivers. Reminds me A LOT of Tramon. 

I'm not too caught up on the height issue but Tramon is listed at 6', which is bull****.  Alexander is pegged at 5' 10".  What a skillset though.  NFL.com is labeling him an "instant starter".  Take it for what it's worth.

From MMQB, which you linked:

The problem with filing my Sports Illustrated magazine mock 11 days before the draft is that I knew I hear stuff that would make me regret some picks afterwards. And that brings us to Hughes to the Packers at 14. While most teams seem OK with him, there is some concern that stems from a sexual assault allegation when he was enrolled at North Carolina. And I’m guessing that might push first-year GM Brian Gutekunst towards a safer, similar prospect like, maybe, Alexander.

Last edited by Henry

Helmet Hair's Final Mock

1. Cleveland Browns

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

You heard it from ESPN's Adam Schefter this morning. Baker to Cleveland is all the talk. Josh Allen isn't helped by the offensive tweets that surfaced overnight. Mayfield could be ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor immediately.

2. New York Giants

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

We can't ignore the Barkley buzz. The Giants love him.

3. New York Jets (from Indianapolis Colts)

Sam Darnold, QB, USC

I don't think the Jets will pass on Darnold here, and they also like Mayfield.

4. Cleveland Browns(from Houston Texans)

Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

That makes elite pass-rushers in back-to-back drafts for the Browns, who got Myles Garrett at No. 1 last year.

5. Denver Broncos

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

I don't think Allen will fall far, and this is a logical trade-up spot. Don't rule out Denver trying to add a few more premium picks. Since I'm not doing trades in my mock, I'll give Allen to the Broncos. Buffalo and Arizona are both trying to move up to get a quarterback.

6. Indianapolis Colts (from New York Jets)

Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia

Smith would be an impact defender for new coach Frank Reich. If Chubb falls, this could be the spot for him.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Derwin James, S, Florida State

The Bucs need playmakers in the secondary. That's James, who is likely to be the first defensive back off the board.

8. Chicago Bears

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

As we discussed on the First Draft podcast, Nelson to the Bears makes perfect sense.

9. San Francisco 49ers

Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State

San Francisco would also be a great fit for Roquan Smith, if he makes it here. Ward is the draft's top true corner.

10. Oakland Raiders

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

McGlinchey has gotten a ton of buzz in the last week. He's rising. Teams think he can play left tackle.

11. Miami Dolphins

Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

Could Miami go quarterback here? Edmunds makes sense as a fallback option -- the Dolphins' linebacker group isn't very good.

12. Buffalo Bills (from Cincinnati Bengals)

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

Buffalo absolutely could move up. In fact, a trade might even be likely. I'll give them a quarterback, and Rosen could start there quickly.

13. Washington Redskins

Vita Vea, DT, Washington

It was Vea or Da'Ron Payne -- Washington needs a nose tackle.

14. Green Bay Packers

Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

Fitzpatrick has dropped a little bit because teams don't know exactly what position he'll play. He's a tweener. He's a really good player, and this could be the steal of the draft.

15. Arizona Cardinals

Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

I don't think Jackson is getting past Arizona here. Keep an eye on trades, though.

16. Baltimore Ravens

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

Baltimore has to help Joe Flacco, and Ridley is the best route runner in the class.

17. Los Angeles Chargers

Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Like Washington, the Chargers have a glaring hole at nose tackle.

18. Seattle Seahawks

Marcus Davenport, OLB, Texas-San Antonio

Davenport is raw, but he's a physical specimen with elite traits, and those are the types of players Pete Carroll loves.

19. Dallas Cowboys

Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU

I keep hearing the Cowboys like Sutton, though I'd go with Maryland wideout D.J. Moore. Linebacker could also be in play.

20. Detroit Lions

Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

Bryan underperformed in college, but he has the tools to be a star. New Lions coach Matt Patricia adds a piece to a defense that must get better.

21. Cincinnati Bengals (from Buffalo Bills)

Frank Ragnow, C/G, Arkansas

Ragnow is likely going to be the first center off the board, but Iowa's James Daniels might not be far behind.

22. Buffalo Bills (from Kansas City Chiefs)

Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

Buffalo could grab another first-round corner to play opposite Tre'Davious White, who was great as a rookie last season.

23. New England Patriots

Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA

My comp for Miller over the last few months has been Nate Solder, who just left New England for the Giants in free agency. If Bill Belichick doesn't trade down, offensive tackle, defensive back or linebacker make the most sense.

24. Carolina Panthers

D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland

Carolina could go with a guard like UTEP's Will Hernandez here, but I'm a big fan of Moore.

25. Tennessee Titans

Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College

Landry is a perfect fit in the Titans' 3-4 defense.

26. Atlanta Falcons

Will Hernandez, G, UTEP

This is another great fit for a team that could have one of the best rushing offenses in the league in 2018.

27. New Orleans Saints

Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina

Dallas Goedert could be in play here, too, but Hurst might be more ready to contribute right away. And the Saints think they're Super Bowl contenders.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Love Evans' fit for Pittsburgh, which needs to replace Ryan Shazier in the middle of the defense.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars

Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State

Goedert is a better receiving threat than Hurst, and Blake Bortles needs a security blanket.

30. Minnesota Vikings

James Daniels, C/G, Iowa

I thought about cornerback for Minnesota's already-loaded defense, but Daniels fits a need as a plug-and-play guard.

31. New England Patriots

Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

Jackson is a bigger corner who only started one year in college, but he was fantastic in 2017, snagging eight interceptions. Could he fill in for Malcolm Butler immediately?

32. Philadelphia Eagles

Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

The Super Bowl champs have zero pressing needs. It's good to be king. This is also a perfect spot for a team trying to trade up to draft a player to retain his fifth-year option.

Last edited by Chongo

McShart Final Mock

1. Cleveland Browns

Sam Darnold, QB, USC

I've had Darnold here in every mock I've done, dating back to my Way-Too-Early mock in May 2017, so why waver now? In my opinion, he's the best QB in this draft. We'll find out if John Dorsey agrees tonight.

2. New York Giants

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

This is going to be a tough choice for the Giants, but Barkley is the top player in this draft and a generational talent. Odell Beckham Jr., Evan Engram and Barkley are an explosive set of weapons for QB Eli Manning.

3. New York Jets (from Indianapolis Colts)

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

Mayfield is the most experienced QB in this class and we know he won't shy away from the spotlight of the Big Apple. This has been between Mayfield and Josh Rosen all along. I'm going with my gut here.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans)

Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

Chubb is my No. 2-ranked prospect and the best all-around defensive player in the draft. Line him up opposite Myles Garrett (along with Emmanuel Ogbah) and Cleveland all of a sudden has arguably the most talented young pass rush in the NFL. This would be a dream start for the Browns.

5. Buffalo Bills (from Denver)*

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

This is pretty simple from Buffalo's side: The Bills have been looking to move up and two QBs went in the top three picks. The Bills can't afford to be left out when the music stops and no top-tier QBs are left. Denver squeezes two second-round picks (53, 56) and a third-rounder (65) out of the Bills, but Buffalo gets a sturdy, big-handed QB with a huge arm -- a perfect fit for the AFC East.

Denver's thought process is a bit more complex. At this point, their top two targets -- Mayfield and Chubb -- are gone. Left guard is a significant area of need and Quenton Nelson is an elite prospect, but John Elway hasn't used a first- or second-round pick on a guard in the past seven draft classes. And Elway's six first- or second-round offensive picks in his seven-year tenure have been busts. Elway has crushed early-round defensive picks in his tenure and CB Denzel Ward is an elite prospect -- though a notch below Nelson. I keep being told Denver will ask too much from Buffalo, but I think they find a way to get this deal done.

As far as Allen's tweets that he apologized for, it's a very sensitive subject. But I have a hard time believing teams that were seriously considering drafting him didn't have that information at their disposal already. If I'm wrong and teams are just finding out about this now, now they have less than 24 hours to figure out if they're comfortable with the pick.

6. Indianapolis Colts (from New York Jets)

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

If the Colts can't get a deal done to move out, I think it's Nelson or Roquan Smith here. I'll lean Nelson to give Andrew Luck some much-needed protection on the offensive line. Nelson is a plug-and-play starter.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Derwin James, S, Florida State

This pick seems like the worst-kept secret in the NFL. James is extremely versatile and would give a huge boost to a porous Tampa Bay secondary.

8. Chicago Bears

Roquan Smith, OLB, Georgia

Nelson would fit as well if he's here, but Smith is a priority. A true sideline-to-sideline linebacker, Smith has tremendous instincts and can do it all.

9. San Francisco 49ers

Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama

Fitzpatrick doesn't fit one defined position, but he's a heck of a football player and could take Eric Reid's spot. Ward and Tremaine Edmunds are also considerations here.

10. Arizona Cardinals** (from Oakland)

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

Another trade! Arizona doesn't have to give up nearly as much to move up five spots and get ahead of Miami for a QB. Rosen is the most natural thrower of the football in this class and gives the Cardinals a QB to build around.

11. Miami Dolphins

Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech

The Dolphins haven't been able to cover at the linebacker position for years. Edmunds provides some relief and has excellent physical tools. Vita Vea is another option here.

12. Denver Broncos (from Cincinnati Bengals via Buffalo)*

Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State

In this trade scenario, the Broncos now have seven picks in the first three rounds (12, 40, 53, 56, 65, 71 and 99). If Denver trades back and still gets Ward, that would be a hell of a pull.

13. Washington Redskins

Vita Vea, DT, Washington

I feel like I've been mocking Vea to Washington for a year now, but the NFL's worst run defense (134.1 rushing yards per game) needs help. Putting Vea next to 2017 first-rounder Jonathan Allen should help to fix that problem.

14. Green Bay Packers

Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

Alexander has been a fast riser through the process and played well when he was on the field. Green Bay needs help at cornerback and edge.

15. Oakland Raiders** (from Arizona)

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

Roquan Smith was the top priority, but he's gone in this scenario. There has been buzz all week about McGlinchey moving up boards, and Oakland can grab him here in front of Baltimore, which also needs tackle help. McGlinchey can take over at right tackle, where he played best early in his Fighting Irish career. O-linemen are going to go fast because teams don't want to be left out in a thin year. If Oakland stays at 10, Vea and Edmunds are in play.

16. Baltimore Ravens

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

The Ravens desperately need playmakers on the outside and Ridley is the best receiver and route runner in this class. This also could be a spot for Lamar Jackson or a trade down.

17. Los Angeles Chargers

Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Brandon Mebane is 33 and Corey Liuget will start the season with a four-game suspension. The Chargers have a strong defense, but need help inside on the defensive line. Payne would help immediately.

18. Seattle Seahawks

Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA

Seattle will likely try to trade back, as there are no offensive tackles worth picking and corner is a bit of a reach. With Michael Bennett traded to Philadelphia and Cliff Avril's status uncertain with a neck injury, pass rush is a big need. Davenport is raw, but the best available pass-rusher at this point.

19. Dallas Cowboys

D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland

With Dez Bryant cut, Dallas definitely has a need at wide receiver. Moore's 4.34 40 at the combine helped turn some heads, and he's a good route runner and great after the catch. Leighton Vander Esch has been rumored here, but there are some concerns about a neck injury. Seems to be a team-by-team deal on their comfort level.

20. Detroit Lions

Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama

The Lions need more playmakers on defense, and pass-rushing help to take pressure off Ezekiel Ansah. Evans is a very good pass-rusher and doesn't need to come off the field in passing situations.

21. Cincinnati Bengals (from Buffalo Bills)

James Daniels, C, Iowa

Cincinnati has a glaring need at center, and Daniels is the best one in this draft. This makes too much sense for an offensive line that was disastrous last season.

22. Buffalo Bills (from Kansas City Chiefs)

Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia

Buffalo's second-biggest need is at guard, so now that they have their QB of the future they need to protect him. If Wynn's medicals check out, he's a very solid player here.

23. New England Patriots

Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

This would be something. Jackson needs to go to a team where can develop behind a veteran QB (Tom Brady, check) and innovative offensive mind (Josh McDaniels, check). While he's being groomed to be Brady's successor, I'm sure the Patriots will find some clever ways to get him the ball in space.

24. Carolina Panthers

Will Hernandez, G, UTEP

With star guard Andrew Norwell now in Jacksonville, Carolina has a big hole at the position. Hernandez is a mauler and terrific run-blocker.

25. Tennessee Titans

Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College

Tennessee needs pass-rush help desperately and is banking here that it gets the 2016 version of Landry -- the one that led the nation with 16.5 sacks. Landry needs to expand his stable of pass-rushing moves, but he has a lot of potential.

26. Atlanta Falcons

Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

Atlanta needs a player to help replace the departed Dontari Poe, and Bryan is a good fit. Bryan has elite first-step quickness, is extremely disruptive for offenses and looks like he's shot out of a cannon sometimes on film. He'll need time to develop his technique and instincts, but there's some Fletcher Cox in his game.

27. New Orleans Saints

Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina

Hurst will be a 25-year-old rookie (he played minor league baseball in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization), but is a very versatile player. My top-ranked tight end, Hurst has enough speed to threaten the seam and would give Drew Brees another weapon.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers

Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

Even with Joe Haden and Artie Burns, the Steelers need more help in the secondary. Hughes plays much bigger than his size (5-foot-10, 189 pounds) and is physical at the line. He'd fit Pittsburgh's press-man scheme well.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars

Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU

Another option here could be TE Dallas Goedert, but it's a little early. Sutton is a big-bodied (6-3, 218) receiver with good traits, but who needs to refine his route-running abilities. Guard could be another possibility here.

30. Minnesota Vikings

Frank Ragnow, C/G, Arkansas

My second-ranked center, Ragnow has been a fast riser the past couple of weeks. A three-year starter at Arkansas, he has versatility and the toughness to start right away. The Vikings could plug him in at center or guard and check off one of their needs.

31. New England Patriots

Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA

This is one of Mel's guys, but there is no denying his traits. You don't find a lot of tackles who are 6-9, 309 with 34-inch arms. The Patriots would hope he solves their left tackle issue (with Nate Solder gone to the Giants) down the road.

32. Philadelphia Eagles

Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

This pick could go a lot of different ways. I expect Philadelphia to trade back and recoup some picks, especially with how strong its roster is and a team's desire to move up potentially for a QB or another player. If not, I think they'll go best available player, which was Michel on my board. Durability issues could bump Michel down.

Have seen McGlinchey move into the top 10 in many of the latest mocks.  He's been below 14 until this last week.  Pushes another D prospect down!

Some of what have been considered mid RD1 prospects have been pushed toward the end of the round over the last month.  Could be a really good reason to trade back into late RD1 or top of RD2.

That's an interesting point though.  If the premium defenders are gone and the Packers like McGlinchey I wouldn't be surprised if they took him for RT.  No way can Guffenfluffen think Spriggs is the answer for any position on the line.  He's a hole in the roster.  That's another thing I'll be interested in is how long Goink will hold onto "developing" players.  

Last edited by Henry
Henry posted:
Grave Digger posted:

Mayock says Louisville CB Jaire Alexander. Would be an interesting pick. Kind of short, but to me he's 1a and 1b with Denzel Ward in terms of man coverage ability and challenging receivers. Reminds me A LOT of Tramon. 

I'm not too caught up on the height issue but Tramon is listed at 6', which is bull****.  Alexander is pegged at 5' 10".  What a skillset though.  NFL.com is labeling him an "instant starter".  Take it for what it's worth.

Yeah Tramon measured 5'11" (71.1" specifically) before the draft, teams always exaggerate height/weight. Alexander measured 5'10" (70.2" specifically). I'm not caught up in the height issue either, I don't think that 1.1" makes a big difference.

ChilliJon posted:

Watch Cleveland take Barkley with the first pick and throw the entire opening round into a tailspin. 

I don't think they'll do it. But they should. 

The Browns might send the whole thing in to chaos depending on if they take Barkley at #1 or one the QB's.  I personnally think they will take Darnold or Allen at #1 and then take the edge rusher Chubb at #4.  I could see them thinking they could have tandem edge rushers with Garrett.  

The Giants have been linked to Barkley as well and think the odds are they take him but I wouldnt be at all shocked if they take Rosen or Darnold at #2.  Eli isnt getting any younger and they will need a replacement eventually. 

I think it is possible for Barkley to slide a little bit because there could be value at RB later in the draft but a "slip" wouldnt be that far.  Maybe it is just me but it seems like you could get good value at RB later with guys like the RB's from Georgia or Penny from San Diego St.  i think it would be crazy to pass him up but like Boris keeps saying some GM's do stupid stuff on draft night. 

JMHO. There are three defensive players you could drop on the field in the NFL and they'll produce from day 1. Chubb, Smith, and Fitzpatrick. I actually think Smith will end up being the best defensive player in this draft.

So If Fitz is on the board at 14 you turn that card in stat. The goal today is to find the best football players available. 

My Prediction....

On the morning of the 2018 NFL Draft, Cleveland Browns general managerSonny Weaver Jr. must decide how to use the seventh overall pick to improve the team, but he has other problems on his mind. His girlfriend Ali Parker, the team's salary cap analyst, is pregnant. Also, his father's recent death and funeral plans cause pandemonium with his mother.

The Seattle Seahawks hold the first overall pick, which general manager Tom Michaels offers to trade to the Browns, allowing them to draft highly-rated quarterback prospect Bo Callahan, the Heisman Trophy winner from Wisconsin. Sonny declines, but with advice from team owner Anthony Molina to "make a splash," reluctantly trades away the Browns' first-round draft picks for the next three years. The unexpected chance to obtain Callahan excites Browns fans, but splits the team's front office and players.

The trade goes public after a tweet by Ohio State linebacker Vontae Mack, who had been Sonny's first preference. Seahawks fans are unhappy at missing Callahan, putting pressure on Tom for giving Callahan up. Vontae advises Sonny to re-watch footage of him and Callahan playing against each other. Vontae's individual performance is superior but Callahan leads his team to victory on a last-second drive with a wrongly-ejected Vontae not on the field. Sonny begins to have doubts about Callahan's character and ability under pressure. When the draft begins that evening, Sonny waits until the last minute to decide who to select with the first pick, and eventually chooses Vontae. Roger Goodell's announcement of the selection shocks the rest of the league and disrupts many of their plans for their own picks. Molina becomes irate and flies back to Cleveland, intent on firing Sonny. Head coach Vince Penn is also incensed, and threatens to resign.

Rumors spread about Callahan as other teams avoid him, wondering why Sonny didn't pick him. However, the Seahawks are still in contention to pick Callahan with their seventh pick, and Sonny senses an opportunity. Sonny convinces the rookie general manager of the Jacksonville Jaguars to trade him their next pick (at sixth, just before the Seahawks) in exchange for the Browns' second-round draft picks for the next three years. Sonny then calls Tom, who intends to pick Bo Callahan at seventh, trying to prevent the Seahawks from having him. In return for passing on Callahan to let the Seahawks have him, Sonny demands his first-round picks back, along with punt returner David Putney. The Seahawks seal the deal and choose Callahan. With his pick, Sonny appeases Penn and Molina by selecting the skilled running back Ray Jennings of Florida State.

The team celebrates an outstanding draft for the Browns. After the draft party, Sonny reconciles with his mother over his excellent draft performance and her soon-to-be first grandchild.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.