Skip to main content

Pakrz posted:

Ok... I've educated myself a bit on Oren Burks.  While I'm not thrilled with where he was drafted based on his production, this is a remarkable human being.  I mean, just a top shelf kid with loads of character, leadership, a sense of community and and a moral compass that is always pointed in the right direction.  

Do remarkable human beings win football games, or do good players??

GreenNgoldBlood posted:

Still do NOT like the fact they didn't take a WR yet. Yes, the defense needed fixing, but Arodg also needs a legit #2 WR...Geronimo is NOT that guy.

Regarding receivers still available:

There's some guys left. J'Mon Moore, Daurice Fountain, Justin Watson, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Deontay Burnett, Jester Weah, Jordan Lasley

by Tom Silverstein 10:27 PM

I'd like a WR and OL as well.  Plenty of picks left for that.  

I'm not so quick to right off players like Geronimo.  There is such a thing as player development that leads to opportunities.  Having the greatest QB to ever lace them up throwing the football doesn't hurt either.  

With a healthy Rodgers, the only thing that stops GB from winning Super Bowls is the perennial shiitty defense.  A new DC plus some shiny new toys is okay with me. 

Pakrz posted:

I'd like a WR and OL as well.  Plenty of picks left for that.  

I'm not so quick to right off players like Geronimo.  There is such a thing as player development that leads to opportunities.  Having the greatest QB to ever lace them up throwing the football doesn't hurt either.  

With a healthy Rodgers, the only thing that stops GB from winning Super Bowls is the perennial shiitty defense.  A new DC plus some shiny new toys is okay with me. 

Agreed.   It's not like the cupboard is bare for O talent, and we should have a good running game too.   Don't forget Monty, he may be that special tool in the box which people are forgetting about.

Cobb, Adams, Monty, our new TE, that's quite a bit to start with... not to mention our new RB kids and last year's drafted WR.   Don't forget the Cinci game where Allision broke out.   The kid has some skills.   Or there's Clark too...

And don't forget, there's the June FA period too for filling some holes.

DH13 posted:

The AR O has always operated in another gear with high round WRs.  They just needed 1 more to push Cobb.  Pochahantus ain't that guy.

ah, Pochahantus???  Please don’t slander her name for some stupid football player.  And if I read your post wrong, please let me know. 

Betcha GB traded up w/ intention of picking A. Key, not thinking Raiders were trading up to take Key.  Bad move trading up without knowing if player you want will be there or not.  Key’s qb  pressure would have put our D over the top, and made the DBs even better.

GreenNgoldBlood posted:
Pakrz posted:

Ok... I've educated myself a bit on Oren Burks.  While I'm not thrilled with where he was drafted based on his production, this is a remarkable human being.  I mean, just a top shelf kid with loads of character, leadership, a sense of community and and a moral compass that is always pointed in the right direction.  

Do remarkable human beings win football games, or do good players??

Yes.

Pakrz posted:

I loved Jackson at 14.  This is a steal IMO.  

Get Jackson, who we wanted at 14, plus Alexander and a 1st next year.   All for the cost of a 3rd rounder this year.

We're not worthy!!!!

This is where historically we take at least one collegiate TE to convert to OL.

Will the trend continue?  If the Burks kid can help tackling machine Martinez by providing pass coverage in the middle he will be a nice addition.  Haven't seen that for so long.

GBPnut posted:

Betcha GB traded up w/ intention of picking A. Key, not thinking Raiders were trading up to take Key.  Bad move trading up without knowing if player you want will be there or not.  Key’s qb  pressure would have put our D over the top, and made the DBs even better.

I seriously doubt that’s the case. I think they wanted Burks, Pettine likely wanted a smart LB with his versatility to run his defense and be on the field 3 downs. He’s similar to his former teammate Zach Cunningham, who just had a really nice rookie year for Houston. He comes from a similar system to what Blake Martinez came from also, there wasn’t a steep learning curve for him. 

GBPnut posted:

Since we have established the appropriateness of Total Recall in this thread...

Image result for total recall gif

Listened to Gute's day 2 presser. 1 thing that stood out to me. He was asked about the double CB pick and how that paralleled what they did a few years ago (Randall/Rollins) and did they have any lessons learned from that. 

a - he did not say Randall's name, mentioned him as "the guy who used to be here"

b - also said, "the wiring of the football players we bring in to this building is really important. The 3 guys we've taken so far, fit what we're looking for, how they approach the game, their mental process"

Closing the book on Randall and his attitude.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/spor...s3Ip?ocid=spartandhp

Winner: Green Bay Packers

Josh Jackson. There’s not a whole lot we can add here to shed a light on just how tremendous of a pick this was for Green Bay. The former Iowa standout recorded eight interceptions against elite Big 10 competition last season. At 6-foot-1 and 196 pounds, he has the size to hold up in first year defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s system. There might be some questions about Jackson’s ability to make an immediate impact given his small college sample size, but the upside is through the roof here.

Adding Jackson to the mix with first-round pick Jaire Alexander gives Green Bay two likely starting outside corners moving forward. Both have the attitude to transition well to the next level. And for a team that missed out on the secondary in free agency, the Packers did extremely well to rebound here.

Last edited by RatPack
Hungry5 posted:

Listened to Gute's day 2 presser. 1 thing that stood out to me. He was asked about the double CB pick and how that paralleled what they did a few years ago (Randall/Rollins) and did they have any lessons learned from that. 

a - he did not say Randall's name, mentioned him as "the guy who used to be here"

b - also said, "the wiring of the football players we bring in to this building is really important. The 3 guys we've taken so far, fit what we're looking for, how they approach the game, their mental process"

I was just about to post that same observation....more indictment of Randall's attitude. 

Those of you wanting a WR....He may not come from the draft.

Glad Gutey didn't say his name - love it & also could get in tampering trouble because he's on another team now?

Last edited by Boris
FLPACKER posted:
Hungry5 posted:

I was just about to post that same observation....more indictment of Randall's attitude. 

Also, Gute just put the players on notice, as well as Joe Whitt. Whitt had better be able to produce with King, Alexander and Jackson, Tramon and House.

The only issue with Dez to GB is his attitude.  I do think that can be tempered quite a bit with AR as the QB and the overall culture of the franchise though.  Not to mention getting fired/cut tends to have a mellowing effect on one's ego. 

lambeausouth posted:

Per the JS live blog:

BG said that he felt the number of athletic defensive players was dwindling and that he felt he needed to move up to make sure he got Burks. He said it was part thinking there was a specific team that might take him and part knowing he would kick himself if he lost him standing pat at 101.
by Tom Silverstein 10:09 PM

Ok - we'll live with it. I can at least accept that explanation. 

The kid ran a 4.59 - not exactly slow.

I just would have loved the chance to "reset" look at the board & take the BPA at 101.

Guteys board musta been dwindling & he obviously wanted him.

Jags, Niners, Falcons & especially Chiefs all potential landing spots for Burks after pick 88.

He sold me.

Last edited by Boris

And so should Moss (that'll happen) and Montgomery (He's got it made).  Considering the absurd amount of tweener, do it all sub packages The Wizard threw in I have no doubt Pettine is going to take it down about 10 notches when it comes to complexity with these rookies.  

Last edited by Henry
Brainwashed Boris posted:
lambeausouth posted:

Per the JS live blog:

BG said that he felt the number of athletic defensive players was dwindling and that he felt he needed to move up to make sure he got Burks. He said it was part thinking there was a specific team that might take him and part knowing he would kick himself if he lost him standing pat at 101.
by Tom Silverstein 10:09 PM

Ok - we'll live with it. I can at least accept that explanation. 

The kid ran a 4.59 - not exactly slow.

I just would have loved the chance to "reset" look at the board & take the BPA at 101.

Guteys board musta been dwindling & he obviously wanted him.

Jags, Niners, Falcons & especially Chiefs all potential landing spots for Burks after pick 88.

He sold me.

It's not a super sexy pick but if he's a solid coverage LB and has the leadership skills to run that defense, that's pretty good.  I don't think we'll see him crashing through the line making sacks all over the place.  See if he bulks up too. 

Jackson makes me feel a little better about Alexander, knowing that (when healthy) they'll be able to have size to match up against opponents. 

Sure, I would still rather have had Edmunds, Jackson, Burks and Yiadom (that would have been nigh orgasmic) but at least teams can be forced to bypass Hobbiton (thinking Atlanta) when they can field multiple big receivers. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.