Skip to main content

pkr_north posted:
lambeausouth posted:

I don't even know what the NFL Network is doing right now. Randomly picking names from their computer to show highlights. 

ESPN is actually talking about the Packers picks. 

NFL network is a joke during this draft just terrible

NFL Network is a joke during the draft. They seem to always go to commercial just as the Packers pick was coming up. I'd still rather watch them than have to deal with Mel Kiper.

I'm thinking Looney could be turned into a decent edge rusher. He seems too small to be a DE and a little too big to be an OLB. He needs to hit the weight room and pay attention in OTAs and on the practice squad.

Henry posted:

Spriggs got rag dolled on a regular basis and has the worst technique I've ever seen.  It's like he's doing scary feet. 

How much has he really played at a position that he is trained to play?

There was a play last preseason where Spriggs played his natural position at LT and he was absolutely schooled by a guy that Washington currently has on their practice squad. Spriggs never put a hand on him. 

An UDFA got a sack and Spriggs never touched him. And it was a pure 1 on 1. And it was every bit as bad as it sounds. 

Unless something has changed he doesn’t think he’s good enough to play T in the NFL. His head is a mess. 

2 plays? Maybe he isn't good enough to be an LT, doesn't mean he can't play RT. In my stupid opinion, they seem to like to move guys all over the oline trying to find that jack of all trades and it with some of the guys, it just ****s them up.

ChilliJon posted:

He’s good enough. He just needs to remember he’s good enough and just get it done. He needs to get out of his own head and play T. 

Except scouts before the draft said the same thing—measurable were there but he played like Jane

He needed to get stronger.  And hit reset on the melon.  He looked like a deer in the headlights at LT in PS.  But he did almost look serviceable when he came in in an emergency before taking a powder during the season.  He'll get another year and he should.  

Spriggs was decent enough his rookie year. Nothing outstanding, but nothing to make one think he was a bust.
After his hammy injury or during rehab, something happened.I don't think it's a physical problem, but he hasn't been close to the same player since.
Green Bay's M.O. has been to let new players to play out their initial contract, and I don't see him being any different until I see otherwise. It would be a shame for him to win a roster spot by 'default' as opposed to performance, but his value for depth and experience may give him the chance to do just that.
He's going to be behind the 8-ball, though. No idea if he will be ready for TC (knee injury in December), but if he doesn't get his turds in a herd, he may find himself outside looking in.

YATittle posted:

Except scouts before the draft said the same thing—measurable were there but he played like Jane

No one said he played like Jane, they pointed out his weaknesses like they do for every prospect. His weaknesses in college are the same things he struggling with now. He was a well regarded pick who performed well at the Senior Bowl. 

Grave Digger posted:
YATittle posted:

No one said he played like Jane, they pointed out his weaknesses like they do for every prospect. His weaknesses in college are the same things he struggling with now. He was a well regarded pick who performed well at the Senior Bowl. 

OK, let's put it this way: Like Hundley, he plays exactly like he did in college. Has not elevated his game as is required in the NFL.

Timmy! posted:

Spriggs was decent enough his rookie year. Nothing outstanding, but nothing to make one think he was a bust.

I have no idea what Spriggs you were watching.   You see guys like Murphy who may struggle, get too punchy or just move too slow but at least they are on the player and look like they are trying to hold technique.  Spriggs literally was flailing.  

There's a reason why the intangibles are important and this is the prime example.  It's the reason I was impressed with Davenport, he can self motivate and self correct and in a hurry.  Hopefully Spriggs can contribute but he needs a lot of time in the weight room and who knows if he can get his egg salad right.  

What you saw last year wasn't even backup level acceptable.  

From BlechReport:

To make this short, the Packers started the draft with the 14th and 76th overall picks and walked away with the 18th selection and New Orleans' 2019 first-rounder. That's a magic trick. To say the least, the Saints overpaid first-year Green Bay general manager Brian Gutekunst for the move up.

I actually think Spriggs is worse than he was in college. At least in college he could handle speed and showed a willingness to be physical and finish blocks. In the NFL it seems like he's so focused on thinking that he's forgetting to play football. He's a guy that might benefit from making a Mike Wahle move...bulk up, move to LG, and just stop thinking. He has the physical skills, including the strength (31 reps), the lightbulb is just flickering and hasn't kicked on yet. Once it does he has the physical ability to be an all-pro OL, but he's definitely in danger of flaming out like a lot of players. Allen Barber 2.0, tons of ability but can't figure things out. Barbre has floated around, but seems to have found a home at LG for Philly.  

To say the least, the Saints overpaid first-year Green Bay general manager Brian Gutekunst for the move up.

But IF Davenport works out the way Payton thinks he will, it was worth it to New Orleans.

I am ok with the trade, however, you also need to consider what happens if edmunds or james do since they were also there for the plucking...if we can take our 2 first rounders and take a stud in 2019, then this would still have been successful even in edmunds and/or james is great...just added another year.

YATittle posted:

To say the least, the Saints overpaid first-year Green Bay general manager Brian Gutekunst for the move up.

But IF Davenport works out the way Payton thinks he will, it was worth it to New Orleans.

Davenport could be special. But you can't give away a first rounder for any player in this draft not named Barkley, Chubb, or Smith. Davenport was part of that second tier "promising projects" list after you got beyond Fitzpatrick, James, Ward, Smith, and Chubb. 

Gute must have asked the Saints three times to confirm they really wanted to give up that much to move up to 14. 

I think Albert Breer or one of the "insiders" said before the pick, the Saints think Davenport is the missing piece to a SB. If they think that and accomplish that then the trade is fine, but that's a big wager. Everyone is going bold after seeing how the Eagles (and the Seahawks before them) marched their way to the SB with bold moves, but the difference is that neither team was paying a franchise QB. When so much of your cap is dedicated to a QB, your gambles hurt harder in the long run because you have to draft well to fill holes. The Eagles and Seahawks were/are able to spread that cap out to shore up needs, New Orleans wagered the future that they could get a ring now. I don't know if that is Loomis/Payton going bold to try and save their jobs or what, but history will not be kind to them if Davenport isn't JJ Watt or at least if Davenport wasn't the missing piece. 

Grave Digger posted:

I actually think Spriggs is worse than he was in college. At least in college he could handle speed and showed a willingness to be physical and finish blocks. In the NFL it seems like he's so focused on thinking that he's forgetting to play football. He's a guy that might benefit from making a Mike Wahle move...bulk up, move to LG, and just stop thinking. He has the physical skills, including the strength (31 reps)...

He lacks strength in the lower body.

If Alex and Jackson end up starting and playing well, I really don't think it matters what Edmunds or James do.  It's more of a question of drafting for rush or cover. Gutenmorgen/Poutine went cover.  That's where they're putting their ducklings.

If the new secondary doesn't play well enough to make it easier on the rushers we have, it will not be a good draft.  Partly because the DBs didn't pan out and partly because another rusher was passed on.

ChilliJon posted:

Neighbor is a coach at DeLasalle High School. After round 6 tonight I go next door to ask him what he thinks about the draft. 

He’s a full blown 49er fan. So he tells me he can’t believe SF didn’t draft Josh Jackson in round two at 44 and instead took a WR that would have been available in round 4 (Dante Pettis)

Your neighbor doesn't know WTF he's talking about. Gute said they were considering Pettis at #45 - so he's flat out Rong about him lasting to round 4.

Niners also have some young talent at DB but they desperately need play-makers at the WR spot.

I agree. I like Miller better too but my point is these GM's know a lot more than we or your neighbor do about exactly where these players are slotted.

Last edited by Boris

And then there's this from CheeseheadTV.... I don't know what to believe anymore. Was Gute flat-out LYING when he said they wanted Pettis? 

FYI - SF did a masterful job last year getting the Bears to give up the friggin farm to swap spots - I don't think they're as bad as the last sentence below.

Matt Lynch (Writes article below)

*Did the 49ers steal Dante Pettis from the Packers by trading up? Isn’t Pettis someone the Packers wanted?

No. As mentioned above, each team before the draft puts together their analysis of every other teams’ needs and possible targets, based on their schemes. Like most teams, the Packers try to feed false information into those other teams’ reports—primarily with their pre-draft visits and interviews, which are public information for the rest of the league. It’s to the Packers’ advantage to fool other teams into thinking that they’re looking for a certain player. Maybe a gullible team will jump right in front of them to draft one of those decoys, instead of a wiser team moving into that spot to steal someone they love.

That was the case with Pettis. Good front offices would know that the Packers had no interest. Pettis is thin and soft, and the Packers have never taken a receiver like that in the McCarthy era, at least in the first four rounds. (They’ve always drafted rugged receivers, like Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, James Jones, Ty Montgomery, Randall Cobb, and Greg Jennings, who was thin but tough as nails.) The San Francisco 49ers, however, have the worst front office in the NFL. In early 2017, meddling trust-fund baby owner Jed York scared off good GM candidates like Brian Gutekunst and Elliot Wolf, and wound up settling for the inexperienced John Lynch. His staff was snookered by the Packers’ smoke screen on Pettis.

My thoughts on the draft:

Trades: Gute killed it here.  Don't think I've ever seen as good a trio of trades in the draft in years.  They dropped back 4 picks in the first and likely picked a guy they might have drafted anyways.  And all they needed to get back to 18 was a third round pick, which they got back into the third using the extra 4th and 5th rounders they had.  They already had 9 picks in rounds 1-5 so using a 4th and 5th to trade into the third round made a ton of sense.  Looking at the just the players themselves, I'd say the Packers had a solid draft.  But getting a 2019 first round pick too??  That's almost unbelievable.  

CB's: Not sure what to think here.  I really like both players but it was odd to draft King at 33 last year then use two more premium picks on CBs this year (after doing the same with Randall and Rollins in 2015).  If they could do it all over, I have to believe TT would rather have Watt over King.  And if they knew Jackson was going to be there in the second (and they already had King), I have to believe they would have gone pass rusher instead of Alexander.  But that's with hindsight.  Really, they probably drafted the three best players on their board at those picks, it was just kind of weird they were all CBs.  But if their is one position you can't have too many quality players, it's CB.  I just really hope these guys develop.  

Burks: This is a much different approach than TT had taken at ILB.  TT never drafted athletes, they were always "solid" football players who were assignment sure.  And IMO, the defense suffered b/c we never had that sideline to sideline player that could cover RBs and athletic TEs.  Sounds like Burks is that guy, so hopefully we can pair him with Martinez.  

WRs: I like the idea here, just draft a bunch of guys who are athletic enough to be NFL WRs and see who sticks.  Reminds me of the approach to RB in 2016.  If one hits, it'll be a success.  

Madison: A pass protecting guard first who excels in up-tempo offense?  Yeah, he should fit in nicely to this offense.  And more importantly, he has the hair.  Too bad he can't share shampoo and conditioner with Sitton.  Would have save the team thousands.  

Special Teamers: I don't mind taking a punter (end of the 5th round) and long snapper (7th round).  Odds of a player making a significant contribution to a team is pretty low at those spots anyways, so not too early for special teamers.  It just depends if they can play.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.