Skip to main content

Henry posted:

Good thing there's a new GM in GunterGleibenGlauchenGloben. 

TT and The Wizard both getting the plug pulled at the same time is surely not coincidence so I wouldn't go sticking pins in TT only.  I think GOC is on the Shermany Express as well.   

All the handwringing over Van Pelt?  He sucked, flat out.  I say they promote Cogbot posthaste. 

Tip of the cap to Rock of Ages.

SteveLuke posted:
DH13 posted:

TT had 1 shot at drafting high and he knocked it out of the park.

Agree that the Raji-Matthews picks were, as a combo, a home run.

But while I try to forget Hawk as much as any Packer fan out there, there can be no denying AJ was the 5th overall pick in the NFL draft and TT is the man who drafted him. And AJ was nothing more than a weak single that barely makes the outfield.

As for TT's drafting overall, other than the great Matthews and beyond awesome Rodgers pick, he was really not that great in round 1 (where to be fair he was often picking at the bottom of the round).

Where he did excel, at least before 2011, was in rounds 2-4 (especially round 2 with Collins, Jennings, and Nelson - three wow picks).

That said, TT's mediocre drafting record since the Super Bowl win in 2010 coupled with the facts he made less use of free agency than any other NFL General Manager and did not make a single trade involving a player worth mentioning in over a decade left Murphy with little choice but to move on if the franchise was serious about getting back to the Super Bowl.

Peppers and Cook did very well.  The roster was good enough to win a SB in 2014 if it hadn't been for a couple of really bad mental errors.  But I otherwise agree on FA.

However Hawk was not a reach and is only a mistake in hindsight.  He was a top 10 prospect coming out of OSU and would have been taken at some point in RD1.

And a lot of that "mediocre" stems from taking greater risks at the bottom of the higher rounds.  What GM has done better over the span of a decade while consistently drafting at 25-30?  He had some stinker drafts, like every GM, and it was probably time for him to audi 5000.  But you'd be really challenged to find someone with a better record.

Last edited by DH13

Ted also needed to force MM's hand with Capers and that staff. The buck stopped with the GM position. If he was confident he was drafting and delivering talent and coaches weren't coaching. then he needed to tell MM changes were happening. Whether MM liked it or not. If that ultimately meant MM was given an ultimatum of Capers/asst's  go or MM goes, so be it. 

The writing was on the wall for those coaches for years and changes needed to have been made years ago. TT let Capers and those stagnant defensive coaches linger way too long. 

GOC

And Winston Moss is still around. Considering how GOC named him asst. HC to protect him from getting swiped it’s amazing he’s still here after the The Wizarding was cleaned out and he had so many suitors. 

Last edited by Henry

I have been on the O-line bandwagon for a long time but I d not see Quentin Nelson as the guy!!  He costs too much, not say if he fell to 14 but he won't so think about Braden Smith from Auburn- he will be a very good guard and I bet he could be a good Right tackle.  He probably will be available at 45 and would be a good fit.  Should Orlando Brown fall anywhere close to 45 Gute should burn up those phone lines to get him.  He will not dance but look at his tape he would solve  a lot of problems for GB if they selected him!

packerboi posted:

Ted also needed to force MM's hand with Capers and that staff. 

That was never going to happen with Thompson. Likely why Murphy has created the triad of communication. Thompson hated releasing players, doubt he had any interest in meddling in coaching decisions.

Hungry5 posted:
packerboi posted:

Ted also needed to force MM's hand with Capers and that staff. 

That was never going to happen with Thompson. Likely why Murphy has created the triad of communication. Thompson hated releasing players, doubt he had any interest in meddling in coaching decisions.

I’m warming to the triad (Coach Kickass?) but only for the fact it was the proverbial crowbar.  At this point I think most of the fail is squarely on GOC.  There’s a reason Uncle Tranny Ted is still around. 

I'd be totally cool with McGlinchey, Connor Williams, or Will Hernandez early. I just wouldn't trade up for any of them. Down, yes. 

I've got nothing but love for a line full of good slobs up front. 

Bulaga has been really good. But considering he's played 16 games twice in his career with GB. It's a pretty decent gesture for GB to ask him to accept a cut in pay. And it's kind of a dick move on his part to tell them to piss off. And it's probably the end of Bryan Bulaga in GB. And it's a great thing he was asked to take this cut before having the opportunity to find his replacement. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

Packers sound increasingly confident in Justin McCray

If the 2018 season started today, Justin McCray would almost certainly be the starting right guard for the Green Bay Packers.

If the increasing confidence emanating from the coaching staff right now means anything, McCray probably won’t be losing the job this summer.

Yes, and another year with Campy and recovering from injury gives me hope for this year. As others have said it often takes time for Olinemen to get where they need to be. Yet, at the same time Campy seems to do ok with what he is given to train. Sure, Spriggs has disappointed based on his draft spot but he may come around this year.

Last edited by PackerPatrick

I remember being really happy the Pack traded up in round 2 to get Spriggs. The rumor is since they were originally 1 slot behind the Bears, the Bears were expected to take Spriggs - Hint: notice the Bears drafted a C (Whitehair) instead. No other OL drafted in between.

Re-cap here

"A player that we really liked quite a bit. Very athletic," said Packers director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst. "We feel he can play all over the line. We're excited to get him."

I still have hope. Sometimes it takes a couple years & I would love nothing more than to be able to laugh at all the opinions that re: Spriggs we've seen here at X4 over the last couple seasons.

I scratched my head at the time of his pick. I wondered if trading up for him was the right thing. I think We also drafted Murphy later and he played somewhat better than Spriggs did at first. Yet I think that Spriggs has a better upside at tackle. If strength to anchor was the problem, then his work in the the training room may have helped. I also have hope for him this year.

Brainwashed Boris posted:

I still have hope. Sometimes it takes a couple years & I would love nothing more than to be able to laugh at all the opinions that re: Spriggs we've seen here at X4 over the last couple seasons.

He was deserving of every bit of criticism.  He didn't look like a rookie, he looked like a dainty lady boy.  UDFAs I expect to be a huge project not 2nd round picks.  Yes, I hope they can salvage that turd but until he proves other wise he frickin' sucked. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.