Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is buried in the Bledsoe articles online, but it's a very good sign. When they asked Giannis for his reaction to the signing, this is what he said. 

"It's a great feeling," Antetokounmpo said. "Great having Bledsoe on the same team for the next four years. He deserves it. He's done everything the team wanted him to do. Unbelievable leader."

He didn't say, "it's great to have Bledsoe on the Bucks for the next four years" - he specifically mentioned it being on the same team with him. This was in response to a question and not a prepared statement. Can you imagine what Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, or Kawhi Leonard would say to a similar signing on their team right now? 

Giannis  just seems so incredibly grounded. He's obviously a generational talent, but almost as impressive is how mature and balanced he appears to be.  He seems mature beyond his years. Would love to see an interview of his mother as I would suggest that a lot of this maturity and well grounded manner is the result of exceptional parenting. We know family is #1 with him. 

Thankfully for us Deer fans, His family, teammates, and winning culture are more important then the bright lights of say LA or New York. 

MichiganPacker2 posted:

Can you imagine what Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, or Kawhi Leonard would say to a similar signing on their team right now? 

Yes, "Hey that's great for him! See you in .......(NY, LA, Chicago, Boston) next year!"

Next should be Brogdon and then Middleton. Maybe even before the season is finished. And if they’re all reasonable deals, they can go on an extended run. 

This team is really starting to have that “this is us, we will take what’s ours” quality to them. Will they be terribly excited about the idea of bringing mercenaries in the mix? In some ways, the Warriors had what the Bucks have... right up to the point they brought in Durant. And you can tell that Draymon Green at this stage resents some of that. It’s easily what was behind the outburst earlier this season. 

Brogdon is making 1.5 million this year. Would he take something like 4-5 years for 40 million? Or will it take more? 

Middleton is finishing out a 5 year, 70 million dollar contract. He is eligible for 5 years and 190 million from the Bucks or 4 years and 140 million from someone else. I like him, but he is not worth 38 million a year. I think he's more like a 5 years and 120 million guy, but someone (Lakers or Knicks) will panic after losing out on Davis,etc. and pay him. 

They cannot max Middleton. He’s a $18-20 per guy. He’s not an All Star if they selected All Stars independently from Conference. He’s a quality player, but if he gets a max  offer from anyone he needs to be let go. 

And there is something to be said for how he fits in Budenholzer’s system- his numbers are down from last year because he’s not getting the same looks as last year. Shooting 43% is not getting it done- and that’s mostly attributable to the fact that he’s shooting far less midrange shots. Last year he averaged 5.5-10.5 in 2 point FGs, compared to this year’s 3.8-8.1, though his 3 point % is up to 38% from 36% last year with more attempts. And he’s a solid defender, but last night is a perfect example why he’s a liability against better athletes. They threw everyone at Ingram last night... and when it was Middleton’s turn it was not pretty. We’ve seen Derozen go for 50 against Middleton, but then other nights he’s solid against guys like Kawhi Leonard. But overall you don’t treat a guy like him with a max deal because once you’re committed to that, you’ve locked out any chance to upgrade. It’s an untradeable contract and right through Giannis’ prime years. Not for a borderline All Star. No way. 

Not sure on Brogdon... $12-15M per should do it. Draymond Green got 5 years $90M but he was elite an All Star. Something close to the Snell deal I guess. Boy, that deal sure looks bad now. The guy’s getting 17 mpg at this point. You’re paying $11M next year and a $12M option in 20-21 for that, and Connaughton has passed him on the depth chart for 1/10th the price. 

Last edited by Music City

I agree with you on not maxing him, but I think someone will give him big money. I'm not sure he's any more important than Bledsoe to the team right now. 

Would you rather have Tobias Harris or Middleton? Those guys will be the two everyone looks at after Durant, Leonard, Kyrie, Cousins, Butler, and Klay Thompson get taken care of. 

If there was a game that highlighted Middleton’s limitations, it was last night. The bench was shit, really struggling. Giannis broke free in the second half and helped them build a 17 point lead. When he went to the bench for a quick rest, Middleton was asked to keep it going. But instead of accomplishing that, he missed every shot, made poor decisions with the ball, and by the time Giannis game back the lead was gone and Mitchell was on fire. But even after Giannis came back, there was Middleton, still firing away, driving the ball, missing bunnies, turning it over, making poor decisions. Giannis came back and could have saved it, but Middleton was hell bent on shooting them right out of the game. And that’s exactly what he did. Mitchell hits 3 haymakers, and that was it. 

Middleton is good in his place- as a complimentary piece with Giannis, but not as a complimentary star worthy of trust in the spotlight. Bledsoe has proven to be the better player overall, IMO- even at times when he’s making mistakes of his own- because when he creates it’s far more successful. Combined with Brogdon’s highly instinctive and intelligent play making, you have a backcourt that compliments Giannis perfectly. 

So everyone says the Bucks lack that “guy” who can carry the load when Giannis is out, or having a tough night. But these complimentary pieces to me are greater than their sum, especially when you add in bigs who shoot it like the Bucks bigs do.

There’s no individual talent besides Giannis that is on par with the historical definition of “star”. But together they check the boxes. And if Middleton wants to be treated differently than a complimentary piece, he’ll need to go. No other player is worthy of more than what Bledsoe just signed for. Middleton is no more valuable now than he was when he signed for 4 years in 15-16. He really should get similar money, because he simply isn’t going to get that much better. Like when Harrison Barnes was playing with the Warriors... its a mistake to think he’s more valuable than he is. The Warriors were smart- they let him go. 

Music City posted:

If there was a game that highlighted Middleton’s limitations, it was last night. 

There’s no individual talent besides Giannis that is on par with the historical definition of “star”. But together they check the boxes. And if Middleton wants to be treated differently than a complimentary piece, he’ll need to go. No other player is worthy of more than what Bledsoe just signed for. Middleton is no more valuable now than he was when he signed for 4 years in 15-16. He really should get similar money, because he simply isn’t going to get that much better. Like when Harrison Barnes was playing with the Warriors... its a mistake to think he’s more valuable than he is. The Warriors were smart- they let him go. 

I agree on his limitations. The problem is that when the Warriors let Barnes go, they had one of the 20 best players of all time waiting in the wings to replace him. Middleton at almost 40 million would be ridiculous, but it's not like Klay Thompson is going to come here and replace him if he goes. It puts the Bucks in a really tough position. If it takes close to max to keep Middleton, they should let him go, but it probably makes them worse in the short term since there is no one to replace him. Then you end with someone like Trevor Ariza or Danny Green at 15 million a year. Maybe that's better, but it's a risk. 

Giannis has to be on board with whatever they do. He seems close to Middleton. That could complicate things also.

There are times where Middleton just seems to coast and not play as well as he could or should.  We’ve seen what he is capable of with the playoff series last year. The problem is he’s still a bit too inconsistent for a guy that is positioning himself for a max type deal.   Maybe that is the issue - he’s worrying too much about tbe contract.   

I think they are better with him than without him but it seems both Bledsoe and Brogdon have more value IMO because of their effort and intensity.   I also think DJ Wilson and Sterling Brown have shown when healthy they can step up.   

A deal sumilar to Bledsoe would seem to make sense to me.  I would not go much further than that.  20MM per season would be the ceiling for me. 

Last edited by Tschmack
MichiganPacker2 posted:
Giannis has to be on board with whatever they do. He seems close to Middleton. That could complicate things also.

That's a great point. I mean he picked Middleton first in the AS game once they got to the reserves. Which was ridiculous to me but I guess Giannis said he would do that. 

I don't see why Middleton deserves more than Bledsoe. I mean if the Lakers offer him 5 years $120 million - Would you match it?

Boris posted:
MichiganPacker2 posted:

That's a great point. I mean he picked Middleton first in the AS game once they got to the reserves. Which was ridiculous to me but I guess Giannis said he would do that. 

I don't see why Middleton deserves more than Bledsoe. I mean if the Lakers offer him 5 years $120 million - Would you match it?

The Lakers (or any team other than the Bucks) can offer 4 years and 140 million. The Bucks can go 5 years and 190 million. He's played the last 4 years for just under 15 million a year. 

I don't match 4 years and 140 million. 

I definitely match 4 years and 80 million.

I probably match 4 years and 100 million.

The range between 100 and 140 million will be the question.  

oshbaul posted:

It's not too early to sign El Greco to another couple a years.

Giannis is eligible to sign a SuperMax contract in the summer of 2020. He's under contract until the summer of 2021. 

The projections are he'll be eligible to sign a 5 year contract for a quarter of a billion dollars at that point. (From Frank Madden). 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MkeBu...projected_super_max/

• 21/22: $42,630,000

• 22/23: $46,040,400

• 23/24: $49,450,800

• 24/25: $52,861,200

• 25/26: $56,271,600

Total: $247,254,000

Other teams can go 4 years and 156 million, so the Bucks can give him 90 million more in guaranteed money. 

It's crazy to think that the biggest moment in Bucks history since they had Kareem will come down to whether a 25 year old decides to take 250 million dollars. And, that if he reversed course and turned it down it would be the single most devastating moment in Bucks history since Kareem forced a trade out of town. 

The Bucks have more options than just Middleton. Check Bojan Bogdanovic’s numbers since Oladipo went down- 22 ppg, dangerous in the P&R... Danny Green is not likely to stay in Toronto and he offers all the 3 and D Middleton does for half the max. Terrence Ross should be remembered as the guy that flipped the Toronto series 2 years ago- in this system he could thrive, and his 3 points % is back up to 37% on a bad team- he’s marking career highs across the board offensively.

Bogdanovic really intrigues me... 

This sounds good so far....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.