Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hum the alphabet, when you're headed down south.

Oh! Right....Free Agency....

CJ Moseley & a couple OG's please - wouldn't mind a good value FA at WR & TE either like a John Brown or Tyler Eifert. I know about Eifert's injury history but damn if that guy could stay healthy, he'd be a superstar

Last edited by Boris
Brainwashed Boris posted:

Hum the alphabet, when you're headed down south.

Oh! Right....Free Agency....

CJ Moseley & a couple OG's please - wouldn't mind a good value FA at WR & TE either like a John Brown or Tyler Eifert. I know about Eifert's injury history but damn if that guy could stay healthy, he'd be a superstar

No players made of glass please. 

I'm a bit out of touch with who is expected to be tagged and who isn't.  I'm going to assume guys like Clowney and Ford will be tagged.  

I think GB can fill a few holes with some quality dudes though.  I like Preston Smith (OLB), Earl Thomas (S), Landon Collins (S), Tyrann Mathieu (S), Trent Brown (OT), CJ Mosely (MLB), Za'Darius Smith (OLB), etc... 

Gotta be able to snag a few dudes.  Who ya got your eye on?

pkr_north posted:
michiganjoe posted:

Wonder who he will go into the HOF as - probably a Panther...

You're joking, right. There is no "team designation" in NFL hall of fame...

Source: The Miami Herald - Barry Jackson

Updating a previous report, Darren Rizzi has agreed to join the New Orleans Saints as their special-teams coordinator, a source reported Friday, Feb. 1.

I have NFI why the Packers didn't hire this guy - Murphy didn't think he was a "good fit" I guess....Whatever TF that means

I'm warming up to digger's theory Pettine doesn't need to focus resources on OLB.  If your highest rated prospect at #12 is an OLB then take him.  If not then go DL, OL, ILB, TE whatever.  Our DL will be the engine for pass rush and we need more talent behind them.  Go after Mosely if he's not tagged.

I was responding to someone posting an OLB strategy that disappeared.

Last edited by DH13
CUPackFan posted:

How I'd fix the Packers OLB problem:

1) Cut Nick Perry.  This guy played the financial game right - showed just enough in his first 4 years to make his 5th season look like a break out and cash in on free agency, only to revert back to the injury plagued player he was early in his career once he got the money.  Big cap hit here but they just need him gone.   

There's been a repeated story about Perry and his practice habits under MM and Moss. Apparently, well, there wasn't much of them. Story goes Perry was lazy as fu** during closed practices and barely did anything. MM would coddle him using Perry's latest umpteenth injury as an excuse and Moss turned the other way and didn't give a shit. 

It rubbed a lot of other guys the wrong way who actually, you know, practiced and practiced hard yet weren't getting playing time. 

Seems like we're hearing more and more about the complacency under MM in his later years. And the more we hear, the more I'm shaking my head. 

packerboi posted:
CUPackFan posted:

How I'd fix the Packers OLB problem:

1) Cut Nick Perry.  This guy played the financial game right - showed just enough in his first 4 years to make his 5th season look like a break out and cash in on free agency, only to revert back to the injury plagued player he was early in his career once he got the money.  Big cap hit here but they just need him gone.   

There's been a repeated story about Perry and his practice habits under MM and Moss. Apparently, well, there wasn't much of them. Story goes Perry was lazy as fu** during closed practices and barely did anything. MM would coddle him using Perry's latest umpteenth injury as an excuse and Moss turned the other way and didn't give a shit. 

It rubbed a lot of other guys the wrong way who actually, you know, practiced and practiced hard yet weren't getting playing time. 

Seems like we're hearing more and more about the complacency under MM in his later years. And the more we hear, the more I'm shaking my head. 

Wow!  I am kind of scratching my head as to why you coddle someone who is constantly hurt and never sees the field.   I was strongly on the keep MM camp but the more I hear and read I was totally wrong.

As for Perry's cap hit I could be wrong (and please correct me if I am) but wouldn't the dead money hit be over 10M? I would like to see the guy gone but can they afford to do that?

This was a MM quote on excusing Perry's lackluster play despite playing in all 8 games to this point in the season. He had 1.5 sacks at this point. Many were wondering if Perry was still injured, then why does he keep starting. And keep sucking..

DH13 posted:

I'm warming up to digger's theory Pettine doesn't need to focus resources on OLB.  If your highest rated prospect at #12 is an OLB then take him.  If not then go DL, OL, ILB, TE whatever.  Our DL will be the engine for pass rush and we need more talent behind them.  Go after Mosely if he's not tagged.

I was responding to someone posting an OLB strategy that disappeared.

GD is a dumdum.  

Dom Capers sucks! 

I’d like to see FA bring in bulk mid tier guys including OLB.  Get your superstars in the draft especially with all the defensive talent available. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/...aced-injured-reserve

The Packers structured Perry's most recent contract, which contained an $18.5 million signing bonus, so that they could move on after the 2018 season and actually gain salary-cap space. Perry is due a $4.8 million roster bonus if he's on the team on the third day of the league year in 2019, so if the Packers cut him before that March date they would wipe that and his $5.2 million base salary off their cap.

They would have to count the remaining prorated portion of his signing bonus against their cap, but could defer some of that by designating him as a June 1 cut. If they cut him without the June 1 designation, they would save $3.6 million off their 2019 cap. If they used that designation, they would save $11.1 million.

Perry has $11.1m of dead money if cut this year, which can be spread over 2019 ($3.7M) and 2020 ($7.4m).  If he's back, Packers owe him $10.6m in salary and bonuses, making him a $14.3m cap hit in 2019.  It sucks but I'd rather take the cap hit rather than pay him another dime this year.  I was all for bringing him back after his contract year but I was wrong.  

Henry posted:

GD is a dumdum.  

Dom Capers sucks! 

I’d like to see FA bring in bulk mid tier guys including OLB.  Get your superstars in the draft especially with all the defensive talent available. 

Shows how much you know, there’s a bidding war for Dom Capers services right now. He’s already turned down the DC role with the Bengals and two other teams want him. Suck on that, bonerz. 

Pakrz posted:

You draft OLB at 12.  Polite, Sweat or Ferrell will be there... maybe a few others that creep up on boards.  That position has the ability to single handedly change the landscape of a defense.  It's why the best pass rushers in the NFL never see FA.  The only way to get them is in the draft.  Take a ****ing OLB at 12!!

This

Grave Digger posted:
Henry posted:

GD is a dumdum.  

Dom Capers sucks! 

Shows how much you know, there’s a bidding war for Dom Capers services right now. He’s already turned down the DC role with the Bengals and two other teams want him. Suck on that, bonerz. 

Fantasy

I mean, I guess since Dorsey drafted him, you can see the connection but this was one of the few concerns with Dorsey coming back as a GM to the Packers. That character and who you were off the field didn’t matter nearly as much as winning. 

See Tyrick Hill, etc. 

As much as I love the Packers, cheering for scrot bags who beat women, including pregnant ones isn’t my thing. 

packerboi posted:

I mean, I guess since Dorsey drafted him, you can see the connection but this was one of the few concerns with Dorsey coming back as a GM to the Packers. That character and who you were off the field didn’t matter nearly as much as winning. 

See Tyrick Hill, etc. 

As much as I love the Packers, cheering for scrot bags who beat women, including pregnant ones isn’t my thing. 

You mean like Letroy Guion?

https://profootballtalk.nbcspo...charges-in-the-past/

MichiganPacker posted:
packerboi posted:

See Tyrick Hill, etc. 

You mean like Letroy Guion?

https://profootballtalk.nbcspo...charges-in-the-past/

I never got the feeling that Ahman Green had a nice sensitive soft touch with women either.   The good news was... there never was any film footage of him beating anybody.  I believe he had a couple of accusations against him which definitely made me always wonder if behind the scenes he could be a raging tyrant towards whomever he was with. 

They are reportedly giving up a mid round pick to get Flacco. Horseface may go OL or somewhere else, but would you really be putting your chips into the middle of the table that Flacco is your guy?

He hasn't looked like a starting QB in years. And years. 

This likely means Case Keenum is out the door. Now he'd be in an intriguing back up to #12. 

skully posted:

Good move for Elway ?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/...offseason-qb-market/

Nick Foles, and Derrick Carr will be next.

I think this is a decent move for Elway.  It gives him a veteran QB who has won before and who IMHO is vastly under rated.  Not a top 5 QB but a pretty good one if he has the players around him.  

Now I think Foles kind of sets the market.  If he goes to say Jacksonville and the Giants take Haskins that kind of leaves Miami, Oakland (if they get rid of Carr) and probably the Redskins as the most QB needy teams.  I would think that one of those teams will go hard after Foles.  

Which brings me to a thought.  So if the Redskins want their QB in the first round they may want to get in front of the Dolphins who pick at #13 right after the Packers.  Perhaps Gute could pick up some extra picks and move down to the Skins spot.  

Flacco's rankings at QB out of 36 QB's with at least 1000 attempts, per ESPN since winning the SB. He was the 4th highest paid QB in football:

Cash value$124M4th
TD-Int ratio1.4:134th <<
1st down pct.31%35th <<
Yards per att.6.535th <<

That's some pretty consistently shit numbers over the last few years. 

Last edited by packerboi
packerboi posted:

This likely means Case Keenum is out the door. Now he'd be in an intriguing back up to #12. 

Then what do you do with Boyle? 

It's rare teams keep 3 QB's now even though the Pack did last year. I think they'll still give Kizer a shot too. 

Flacco is barely an upgrade over Keenum. Upgrade in arm strength only. I actually think Keenum is a better QB without the physical tools. 

Elway is reaching again for Manning-like magic. Guy is too impatient to find and develop a franchise QB, so he keeps hoping to find a one-year spark of magic in a retread. 

If Keenum lands in GB, I'd rather keep Boyle than Kizer. Kizer is another Hundley clone that MM seemed to fall in love with, like Wallace, V. Young. MM wanted a QB who could run, but he kept choosing guys who could only run and not pass.

GBFanForLife posted:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/...aced-injured-reserve

The Packers structured Perry's most recent contract, so that they could move on after the 2018 season and actually gain salary-cap space. 

They would have to count the remaining prorated portion of his signing bonus against their cap, but could defer some of that by designating him as a June 1 cut. If they cut him without the June 1 designation, they would save $3.6 million off their 2019 cap. If they used that designation, they would save $11.1 million.

I can't imagine why they would keep him - June 1st designated cut $11.1 million. YES!

I'm thinking big in FA this year - Clowney & Landon Collins or Earl Thomas

I never understood the need to have a Twitter, Facebook or other social media account. Timesfour and a few other comments sections in Packer sites is about all I can handle. Why would one subject oneself to such blathering? And then get offended when some anonymous jerk reply’s?

Sports and entertainment figures don’t need these accounts anyway. 

DH13 posted:

Rumors are OAK will extend Carr.

Too bad DEN won't be taking a QB now in RD1.

I don't think this precludes Broncos from taking a QB in the draft. Their giving up a 4th. They may be looking for someone other than Keenum to mentor a rookie QB in R1. It would be strange if Flacco had to do this again, but I doubt he has much say in the matter.

packerboi posted:

Per sports gambling website BetOnline.AG:

Antonio Brown team first game of 2019 season

Arizona Cardinals 4/1
Green Bay Packers 9/2
Miami Dolphins 5/1
Oakland Raiders 5/1
San Francisco 49ers 5/1
Indianapolis Colts 7/1
New York Jets 10/1
Washington Redskins 10/1
Cleveland Browns 12/1
Baltimore Ravens 20/1

YESSSS!! After they nailled the Khalil Mack and Josh McDaniels odds I’m sure to put a huge wager on this one!!

packerboi posted:

Per sports gambling website BetOnline.AG:

Antonio Brown team first game of 2019 season

Arizona Cardinals 4/1
Green Bay Packers 9/2
Miami Dolphins 5/1
Oakland Raiders 5/1
San Francisco 49ers 5/1
Indianapolis Colts 7/1
New York Jets 10/1
Washington Redskins 10/1
Cleveland Browns 12/1
Baltimore Ravens 20/1

Just what our young, first year head coach needs....a team cancer diva WR. 

Ya, Brown would be a hell of a risk. Complete boom or bust in terms of team chemistry. 

Found it interesting his 2019 salary is about 12 mil. The Steelers, even in a trade, will still have to eat a lot of his cap number, which I believe is about 21 mil. 

Most pundits are guessing the Steelers will settle for a 2nd or 3rd 

Twitter isn't just for social media.  You can follow pretty much any news source in existence.  It's how I keep up on trade (my job) news and other interests.  And there are a handful of really smart and or funny people I follow.  I never write anything.

If you're a passing game nerd, look up 'receiver school' on twitter.  Fascinating breakdown of route running.  I think they also have a 'quarterback school'.

Boris posted:

I'd take the shot for a 3rd rounder on Brown opposite D. Adams

Without any hesitation at all - especially for a 12 million dollar cap hit. The only caveat would be if there was any clear domestic violence problems - then I wouldn't want any part of it.

Otherwise, could anybody seriously argue that having Antonio Brown for a couple of years wouldn't be worth trading Oren Burks, Kyler Fackrell, Motravius Adams, Ty Montgomery, or Richard Rodgers for? Because those are the last 5 3rd round picks for the Packers.

His 12 million dollar cap hit is less than Jimmy Graham's next year.

I don't see if as that big a risk. The worst that happens is that he comes in and blows up and you have to cut him. It would be the same thing as if he got hurt in the first game. Would you be that worried about him poisoning the culture? In all seriousness, they could use someone to shake things up like that.

I think he's very likely to behave himself for at least a year. Let him arrive at training camp in a helicopter or drive a car that's worth more than the GDP of a small African Country. Who cares?

I also go back to the fact that Antonio Brown is being painted incorrigible as a terrible problem and a diva (of course he's a diva). His QB should have been in jail for multiple rapes, yet he is now some sort of perfect citizen?

Link copied to your clipboard.