Skip to main content

This statement is not true. He ran a sub 4.2 at his Auburn pro day. Think it was 4.18. 

Seems like it’s a camp tradition to maybe finally find a ST return guy to flip field position. 

This years guy is Corey Grant. He’s got a legitimate shot at making the 53 with ST. Only because, as mentioned above, he’s really, really fast. 

ChilliJon posted:

This statement is not true. He ran a sub 4.2 at his Auburn pro day. Think it was 4.18. 

Seems like it’s a camp tradition to maybe finally find a ST return guy to flip field position. 

This years guy is Corey Grant. He’s got a legitimate shot at making the 53 with ST. Only because, as mentioned above, he’s really, really fast. 

Love it!!!!! Gutey is really focused to bounce up the athleticism in GB. Can't teach speed. I'd love to have a real, legit threat at PR/KR. Again. The thought of Beebe leading Des through the holes was pure magic on returns. Have missed that ever since.

Last edited by Trophies
Trophies posted:
ChilliJon posted:

Love it!!!!! Gutey is really focused to bounce up the athleticism in GB. Can't teach speed. I'd love to have a real, legit threat at PR/KR. Again. The thought of Beebe leading Des through the holes was pure magic on returns. Have missed that ever since.

Fedya posted:
RoyalWulff posted:

Packers sign RB Corey Grant?  (Saw this on Facebook; don’t know if it’s true, nor do I know who Corey Grant is!)

Start with Bringing Up Baby or North by Northwest

Might be Fedya’s best post ever. 

Henry posted:
Trophies posted:
ChilliJon posted:

Hateful. Henry, I'm... shocked. You freaking wanker.

Last edited by Trophies
Fedya posted:
RoyalWulff posted:

Packers sign RB Corey Grant?  (Saw this on Facebook; don’t know if it’s true, nor do I know who Corey Grant is!)

Loved both of those, Fedya.  NxNW has one of my favorite lines (James Mason). 

That wasn’t very sporting, using real bullets.

justanotherpackerfan posted:
Fedya posted:
RoyalWulff posted:

Might be Fedya’s best post ever. 

I heard he wore shoe lifts.

Timmy! posted:

Gute still churning the roster.
Wonder what's up with all the RB additions?

Packers Claim RB Darrin Hall, Release G Larry Williams

Gute’s smart. He knows no matter how many you keep, they will all be banged up by Week 16. 

At RB, camp bodies are live bodies by the end. 

Packdog posted:

Markus Jones was voted the national Defensive Player of the Year in Division II last season, and led the nation - all divisions - in tackles for loss with 34.5 (Next closest player in all divisions of CFB had 22) plus 17.5 sacks, 77 tackles, 13 QB hits, 3 FF, 1 FR and blocked 2 kicks on STs. He also won the Gene Upshaw Award. He's a DE who can readily with to OLB, and plays lights out on STs. 6-3 255. Markus led the nation as a Sophomore with 7 blocked kicks. Versatile...

The kid has a shot to crack this 53 man roster, especially if Oren Burks doesn't pull his head out of his a$$. Summers and Corbin are looking perfectly capable at ILB with Martinez, as advertised. Markus Jones is all hustle. Non-stop.

Great add by Gutey.

Last edited by Trophies

Ty Summers is more than that, Henry. The only other "Elite" athletic rating in both SPARQ and RAS besides Rashan Gary. Came from one of the most highly regarded defenses in all of college football at TCU. After filling in at DE for an injured starter early his senior season the opposing coach heaped a ton of praise on Summers:

Had more tackles than both Devin White and Devin Bush coming into the draft, and he's 3" taller than both while nearly as fast, great in coverage. Been carrying his water for a while, but I think he'll be special for us.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Henry posted:

It's August 2nd.

I get the feeling Ty Summers is the new Vanillaface RunFastGuy.

I also remember in the early days here...you were Butterface halfassedwittyGuy.

And look how that turned out.

Packdog posted:
heyward posted:

And yet Markus Jones was cut by the Ravens on Aug. 1. Go figure.

Sloppy seconds from top rated defense. As a Packer fan, will take it at this point

Tramon Williams was cut by Houston. Gilbert Brown was cut by Vikings.

Who knows why they released him, but former Ravens scout Milt Hendrickson is our new Director of Football Operations and I'm sure he's got a good idea who this kid is. Worth taking a flyer on Markus Jones, a player with some pretty serious skills.

I wonder why they let a player like that go too, heyward. Can't find a single thing on it. I mean, nothing...

Nothing wrong with looking at potential but lets not call guys starters or even making the regular roster on August 2nd.  All of these guys are excellent athletes but the reality is many can't make the transition to the pros.  Just the way it is.

oldschool posted:
Henry posted:

It's August 2nd.

I also remember in the early days here...you were Butterface halfassedwittyGuy.

And look how that turned out.

#pleaselikeme

You have to look up when addressing me.  The pedestal is that high.  Feel free to keep bringing it Elizabeth.  This is your "A" game.  I'm on auto pilot right now.

Last edited by Henry
Henry posted:

Nothing wrong with looking at potential but lets not call guys starters or even making the regular roster on August 2nd.  All of these guys are excellent athletes but the reality is many can't make the transition to the pros.  Just the way it is.

Oh, thanks for the schooling, Henry... Jesus F. So, you switched to Autopilot now? Guess it was the only way for that Idiot Airlines plane to correct itself from its deadly tailspin.

Trophies posted:
Henry posted:

Oh, thanks for the schooling, Henry... Jesus F. So, you switched to Autopilot now? Guess it was the only way for that Idiot Airlines plane to correct itself from its deadly tailspin.

So touchy.  Second time you’ve had a hissy about a legit observation.  Trollin’ Trollin’ Trollin’, keep that butthurt flowin’. 

Packdog posted:
heyward posted:

And yet Markus Jones was cut by the Ravens on Aug. 1. Go figure.

Sloppy seconds from top rated defense. As a Packer fan, will take it at this point

I agree with this statement.  If you’re going to take a flyer on a guy at the bottom of the roster I’d say the Ravens camp is a good place to look.  

Could you imagine a combo of TT and Ozzie in the same FO in their primes?  I bet the Pats have a few less rings. 

Last edited by Henry

The thing I'm 'seeing' is GutenChrist is bringing speed to the team.
Of course, that's no guarantee of success, but most of these guys can fly.

Also, it seems to me that he's not bringing slugs into camp. These guys seem to have solid experience, skills, and can play football. 

In any case, I love the excitement this time of year. It's always fun to see rookies trying to make the team, the surprises at cut-down, and this year we get to see how our new coaches develop, and what they can make out of their individual units.

Trophies posted:

Ty Summers is more than that, Henry. The only other "Elite" athletic rating in both SPARQ and RAS besides Rashan Gary. Came from one of the most highly regarded defenses in all of college football at TCU. After filling in at DE for an injured starter early his senior season the opposing coach heaped a ton of praise on Summers:

Had more tackles than both Devin White and Devin Bush coming into the draft, and he's 3" taller than both while nearly as fast, great in coverage. Been carrying his water for a while, but I think he'll be special for us.

The nock on Summers coming out of college was that he is horrible in pass coverage.

grignon posted:

Markus Jones' draft assessment says not very big, not very strong, not very fast. Dominated weak competition.

Good description of Henry in the Vikings suck thread.

Last edited by Goalline
13X posted:
Trophies posted:

The nock on Summers coming out of college was that he is horrible in pass coverage.

He's not. Former QB who knows how to set up an opposing QB to make a play on the ball. I'll add, I'd love to know where you got that. Summers is 2" taller than Bush, 1" taller than White and runs a 4.51 Let's compare:

Devin Bush stats

Devin White stats

Ty Summers stats

What? Are Bush and White horrible in coverage too? I guess so.... I mean, really? 11, 9 and 9 PDs? 1, 1 and 2 INT? Pretty big difference there between two top 10 selections and our 7th Round pick. I know there was an ass load of hype on White and Bush leading up to the draft, but, both of those guys are smaller.

Summers is super cerebral and as good an athlete as Bush & White. Hits a ton too. Whatever. I like the kid, thought he was a fantastic value pick in 7th Round, and I think he's going to be good for the Packers. It's OK if you don't. We will see.

Attachments

Images (4)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
  • mceclip3
Last edited by Trophies
Trophies posted:

Who knows why they released him, but former Ravens scout Milt Hendrickson is our new Director of Football Operations and I'm sure he's got a good idea who this kid is. Worth taking a flyer on Markus Jones, a player with some pretty serious skills.

I wonder why they let a player like that go too, heyward. Can't find a single thing on it. I mean, nothing...

Hendrickson was hired by the Packers before the draft so he wouldn’t have any special insight on Jones. 

grignon posted:

Markus Jones' draft assessment says not very big, not very strong, not very fast. Dominated weak competition.

His draft profile also says: "Three-year starter who has been on a steady incline as a pass rusher over the last three seasons. Jones plays with good leverage and adequate play strength at the point of attack"

• Posted 31.5 sacks over last three years
  • Uses early turn and angles to cheat the edge
  • Generates initial movement with speed-to-power rush
  • Good flexibility leads to consistent leverage for him
  • Consistent with inside hands to strike and lift
  • Can punch and play off blocks quickly
  • Ready to shed and chase without lingering
  • Feels play direction and responds with pace
  • Multiple blocked kicks and punts throughout career

6-3 253... he's just got shorter arms than ideal for a DE. But, with the way Pettine uses these guys, I can see him at OLB, and as a developmental player to bring along for the ride if he shows well in camp.

He looked noticeably bigger than I thought he'd be - reminded me a lot of Mike Montgomery in terms of body type. Markus Jones did NOT look out of place at all lining up over LT. What the hell? Let's see what he's got. Worth a shot.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/...&akcarrier=other

Last edited by Trophies
heyward posted:
Trophies posted:

Hendrickson was hired by the Packers before the draft so he wouldn’t have any special insight on Jones. 

Their draft process is not like the tests you used to cram for.... What? You can't imagine he was on the Ravens' radar? Maybe knew of the kid after scouting him blowing up some Division II ball? Hell, he broke a record blocking 7 kicks in a season as a Sophomore... They aren't going to scout that? OK

heyward posted:

Comparing Summers to White and Bush is laughable - and this is coming from someone who agrees that Summers was an excellent value pick in the 7th round. 

Why? Please do tell....

Why am I not surprised? Crickets...

Here's a good article to help explain that stuff on Ty Summers:

https://www.star-telegram.com/...rticle222016830.html

And, another:

https://www.houstonchronicle.c...-to-TCU-13080344.php

And another:

https://247sports.com/college/...rts-today--134125935 

All three articles, together, give good insights into how he changed positions when TCU's DE went down, and his injuries, his perspectives. He doesn't quit. Solid player and an even more solid young man.

2nd leading tackler at TCU in the Patterson era. Gary Patterson is one of the most highly regarded defensive minds in college football, actually, in any football, as NFL coaches regularly seek out his advice/strategies on how to defend opposing offenses. That is no joke. Injury and change in positions account for the dip in his numbers during his Junior & Senior seasons compared to White & Bush.

Summers' Sophomore season was his only full year playing LB exclusively, with any kind of knowledge/experience at the position. The dude is certainly versatile, and fits what Pettine likes in his personnel. His Freshman year was his first time playing LB, ever.

Really, read these if you want more of the whole picture. We got a gem with this kid...

Last edited by Trophies

I think you'll dig it after reading those three, phaedrus.

Here's an article on Gary Patterson (who convinced Ty Summers to let him turn him from a QB to a LB, gave him his TCU scholarship) and how the NFL defensive minds regard him (quick read):

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07...l-defensive-concepts

Last edited by Trophies

So 32 NFL teams thought so highly of him he went in the 7th round.  Your over the top homer logic is entertaining.

NFL.com

Weaknesses
  • Movement skills on tape don't match workout numbers
  • Lateral agility and change of direction is just average
  • Below average as open-field tackler Hangs back waiting to bang with lineman rather than attacking downhill
  • Too much reading and not enough reacting
  • Comes off the field on passing down

Reoccurring theme in draft bios is he's a AJ Hawk type tackler and reacts poorly.

Ourlads.com

He struggles with route breaks in man coverage and will hesitate reacting. Often separated and chasing. Slow to read run/pass in the box. Can be too shallow in zone drop. Usually fits the right gap but reads tend to be slow. Not sudden downhill and can get tied up with a block. Was not used in some of TCU’s sub packages on long yardage downs. He is more fast than quick. Someone will see upside and like his speed. 2018 stats: 48 T, 6.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 4 QBH. OSR:4/15. Seventh round/PFA. (A-31 1/ 2, H-10, BP-27, SS-DNP).

He was worth the 7th round pick to be a ST ace and early down backup.

Last edited by Henry

He he he... what can I say? I am a more positive person. Whatever you do you turdball, don't post the positives. The black clouds are out in force! Tryin' ta kill my buzz....!

I didn't draft the fuKcing guy. I simply did some research on why they drafted him, did about 18,000 hours of film study, and shared what I found.

I don't even care anymore, but I do know Gutekunst drafted Summers, Dexter Williams and Ka'Dar Hollman with his last 3 picks in rounds 7 and 6, and, they are all looking pretty fukCing good. We'll see.

Whatever you do, Henry, don't read those!

Last edited by Trophies
Henry posted:

You should look up August objectivity.  It's almost as if you haven't seen this kind of stuff before.  Must be nice to be a perpetual 12 year old.

You mean I’d have an all-day erection?

Uhhh, NO! 

I did look up August, and you might be onto something there....

Really, Henry, DON'T BE A DICK. 1st Commandment on the Tablet...

You call that "game???" You suck. You clearly took that to a bad place. I'm just tryin' to straighten 'er out.... All in fun my friend.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by Trophies
Henry posted:

So 32 NFL teams thought so highly of him he went in the 7th round.  Your over the top homer logic is entertaining.

Bart Starr in 17th....Brady in the 6th.

Try again with the failed logic.

Which one is GOAT...you know which one I would pick...but yeah...blows up your argument with pure.....................elegance!

oldschool posted:
Henry posted:

Which one is GOAT...you know which one I would pick...but yeah...blows up your argument with pure.....................elegance!

So 2 late round draft picks in the last 60 years prove your point?🤔

oldschool posted:
Henry posted:

.05% of the time it happens every time.

BrainDed posted:
Henry posted:

It's August 2nd.

Always gotta have one.  

Jeff Query

Don Beebe

Bill Schroeder

Jeff Janis

Jared Abbrederis

Jake Kumerow

Who am I missing? 

I'm leaving out Jordy because he was way too good to fit the category. 

oldschool posted:
Henry posted:

12 teams in 1956. 32 teams in 2000. 

Brady was pick 199 in 2000. Bart was pick 200 in 1956. 

Stop talking. Again. 

MichiganPacker2 posted:
BrainDed posted:
Henry posted:

It's August 2nd.

Always gotta have one.  

Jeff Query

Don Beebe

Bill Schroeder

Jeff Janis

Jared Abbrederis

Jake Kumerow

Who am I missing? 

I'm leaving out Jordy because he was way too good to fit the category. 

Myles White

Image result for joke over your head gif

Link copied to your clipboard.